PDA

View Full Version : fighting.

Incongruous
02-06-2008, 06:50
Finghting across all ages has always been more than the generalised melee portrayed by the TW games, most glaringly in the skirmishing aspect of battle.

Now since nearly all troop types will be rather like the old skirmishers it's an interesting area of speculation. Im not simply talking about walls and such, i mean forests and tall grass, the use of long and drawn out skirmishes in which certain "tricks" and slight obstructions could be used.

I feel these would perhaps assuage some fears of stand'n'shootin during battles.

Furious Mental
02-06-2008, 08:35
Well I don't think all troops are skirmishers. Most weren't trained marksmen or even trained to fight independently. But we should be able to order any unit, infantry or cavalry, to skirmish and have part of them peel off to do so. And we should also have the discretion to make it offensive or defensive, e.g. we might want some troops to create a screen around the unit as it forms an attack column or something like that. Apparently soldiers will make use of cover and that sort of thing.

Incongruous
02-07-2008, 02:16
Well I don't think all troops are skirmishers. Most weren't trained marksmen or even trained to fight independently. But we should be able to order any unit, infantry or cavalry, to skirmish and have part of them peel off to do so. And we should also have the discretion to make it offensive or defensive, e.g. we might want some troops to create a screen around the unit as it forms an attack column or something like that. Apparently soldiers will make use of cover and that sort of thing.

Yeah i know they were not all skirmishers, but was merley making a point of comparison.

Yep those would be good, i did not realise they would make use of all forms of cover though.