PDA

View Full Version : Attack area

Furious Mental
02-06-2008, 08:36
I would love an attack area function for artillery, and also the ability to limit artillery to only attacking within a certain quadrant or at a certain minimum or maximum distance. So much more convenient than constantly re-targeting artillery to make sure it is firing for maximum effect and not cutting swathes through one's own army when the enemy gets too close, or futilely trying to swivel around as enemy cavalry gallops past it (often right before the rest of the enemy cavalry gallops straight into it).

Polemists
02-09-2009, 13:44
Wow...Polemists...are you bored enough to pull empty threads from 11 pages back and post in them?

Yes....yes i am :dizzy2:

On to the topic.

This is actually one of the better ideas I've heard. As much as I enjoyed fire at will, it would be nice if you could direct your artillery to a certain area and "pin down" the enemy for a bit.

I havn't heard anything on this though.

Fisherking
02-09-2009, 14:09
One area I saw or a video talked about artillery able to bombard an area to discourage troop movements.

So it may be safe to say it is in.

Sir Beane
02-09-2009, 14:24
One area I saw or a video talked about artillery able to bombard an area to discourage troop movements.

So it may be safe to say it is in.

Seconded. This feature is in going on the current information. :2thumbsup:

gollum
02-09-2009, 14:36
Most likely this has been implemented - i will be very surprised if it isnt.

!it burnsus!

USS Providence 1972
02-09-2009, 18:51
I wonder how long before your muskets and artillery run out of ammo like onagers and archers did in rome. That could change strategy, especially if you can get the enemy artillery to expend their ammo prior to the main attack.

Sir Beane
02-09-2009, 18:55
I wonder how long before your muskets and artillery run out of ammo like onagers and archers did in rome. That could change strategy, especially if you can get the enemy artillery to expend their ammo prior to the main attack.

Muskets, no idea. Artillery has no ammo limit, according to CA. Mostly because during the time period artillery would never have run out of ammo during a battle.

Barkhorn1x
02-09-2009, 18:55

It has been confirmed that:
- Artillery has unlimited ammo
- Muskets and rockets have limited ammo

...so, no, you canno wait for enemy arty to run out of ammo.

Fisherking
02-09-2009, 19:19
In one review the author noted that his infantry started with 20 rounds each. That was British standard for premade cartridges at one point in time.

However, he also said something about it being increased with a tech and I have gone on about simpleton technologies as a result of that interview.

I know that one special unit (Roger’s Rangers) had standing orders to carry 60 cartridges plus powder and shot so I don’t know how much you can work up to for musket and rifle men.

CBR
02-09-2009, 19:30
20 rounds sounds about right for early 18th century. Some might have used more, not sure.

I do seem to remember gunpowder became cheaper during the first half of the century, or maybe I'm just imagining thing. That or the Prussian way of blazing away just took over and everyone wanted more ammo. By mid century 60+ rounds sounds reasonable.

CBR

Barkhorn1x
02-09-2009, 19:35
However, he also said something about it being increased with a tech and I have gone on about simpleton technologies as a result of that interview.

Things like this along with:
- different bayonet tech
- fire drill tech

...are interesting to me as they will add new depth to the game.

I just hope the strat AI is smart enough to research this stuff and we don't get a situation where they simply spam low quality/low tech units that our high quality troops simply mow down. :idea2:

CBR
02-09-2009, 19:39
I just hope the strat AI is smart enough to research this stuff and we don't get a situation where they simply spam low quality/low tech units that our high quality troops simply mow down. :idea2:
Nah never seen that before ~;)

CBR

USS Providence 1972
02-15-2009, 04:30
It has been confirmed that:
- Artillery has unlimited ammo
- Muskets and rockets have limited ammo

...so, no, you canno wait for enemy arty to run out of ammo.

Right, and protecting your artillery while trying to put the enemy's artillery out of commission becomes a priority. Horse drawn artillery should become even more valuable than horse archers in RTW. If the enemy has no horse to catch them and they have unlimited ammo, they seem hard if not impossible to beat.

peacemaker
02-15-2009, 04:43
well, seeing as the horses are drawing a large cannon, and troops need to stay with them to load and fire, the horse drawn cannons probably won't be all too fast or hard to catch.

theseus1234
02-15-2009, 22:53
Right, and protecting your artillery while trying to put the enemy's artillery out of commission becomes a priority. Horse drawn artillery should become even more valuable than horse archers in RTW. If the enemy has no horse to catch them and they have unlimited ammo, they seem hard if not impossible to beat.

new here, not to the series or forums (twcenter.net stopped working for some reason, so i had to move here)

may i point out that there's a large difference between an armored horse and a horse pulling a CANNON?

peacemaker
02-15-2009, 23:24
yeah, exactly. A horse or 2 pulling a cannon around will be slower than a horse with possibly some armor and a rider with a bow and arrow. There will be a difference, but I think it would still be able to outrun slow infantry. But it would be funny to see a bunch of horses with cannons forming a shooting circle in front of the enemy:whip:

USS Providence 1972
02-16-2009, 04:02
new here, not to the series or forums (twcenter.net stopped working for some reason, so i had to move here)

may i point out that there's a large difference between an armored horse and a horse pulling a CANNON?

Right, I wonder if a horse drawn cannon is capable of moving faster than infantry. If not then they will be of limited use. If they can outpace infantry they will be a game changer especially if the enemy has no cavalry.

In RTW the horse archers were a pain if you wound up at the end of a battle with no cavalry to chase them down but at least they ran out of ammo eventually. The cannon reportedly have unlimited ammo in ETW.

theseus1234
02-16-2009, 04:43
Right, I wonder if a horse drawn cannon is capable of moving faster than infantry. If not then they will be of limited use. If they can outpace infantry they will be a game changer especially if the enemy has no cavalry.

In RTW the horse archers were a pain if you wound up at the end of a battle with no cavalry to chase them down but at least they ran out of ammo eventually. The cannon reportedly have unlimited ammo in ETW.

which is absolutely ridiculous. hopefully it's just a feature of the "unlimited_ammo" preference if that system is still being used (new engine, i know, but that doesn't meant the text files are different)

it's also not like the cannons can fire while being moved...if it did it would be totally awesome the worst thing ever. the cannon will have to stop somewhere and fire if you don't have the battle timer on

USS Providence 1972
02-16-2009, 05:11
which is absolutely ridiculous. hopefully it's just a feature of the "unlimited_ammo" preference if that system is still being used (new engine, i know, but that doesn't meant the text files are different)

it's also not like the cannons can fire while being moved...if it did it would be totally awesome the worst thing ever. the cannon will have to stop somewhere and fire if you don't have the battle timer on

True, but if you get to the end of a battle and the enemy has no horse, and your horse drawn artillery can outrun the enemy infantry then you simply limber and unlimber the artillery repeatedly, firing off a few shots and then moving again until the enemy formation is broken.

It remains to be seen how fast they can move. Maybe they are more like horses pulling a plow.

theseus1234
02-16-2009, 05:53

True, but if you get to the end of a battle and the enemy has no horse, and your horse drawn artillery can outrun the enemy infantry then you simply limber and unlimber the artillery repeatedly, firing off a few shots and then moving again until the enemy formation is broken.

It remains to be seen how fast they can move. Maybe they are more like horses pulling a plow.

even when they are being pulled by horses and have gained sufficient distance, the reload time for cannons will allow the enemy army to approach without much hassle for a while. when they approach, you'll need sufficient time to limber up (assuming and hoping there's a time that it takes to limber a cannon) and then

basically what i'm trying to say is that it'll be too much of a hassle to use them like horse archers. it would be useful for helping get to and defend an emergency fall back position quickly, but constantly? that would suck

Fisherking
02-16-2009, 08:08
While it is likely that all artillery is towed by horses, there is horse artillery and foot artillery. This refers to the transport of the crews serving the piece.

Size of the guns also has a lot to do with transport speed. Guns may have been towed by two, four, six, or even more animals but this was more a matter of how heavy the gun was and not how fast it was to move.

The best area fire weapons will likely be howitzers and mortars which have a high angle of fire and not a flat trajectory. This will avoid cover and concealment problems. Standard guns can only shoot what they can see.