PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the map (sort-of)

I Am Herenow
02-06-2008, 18:01
I have a small suggestion I feel might benefit EB2 (assuming it's possible, i.e. not 'hardcoded').

Basically, my idea is as follows:

Have you ever thought about the background to the campaign map? I don't mean the map itself, but the grey/black area you see when you scroll to the very edge. Well, why does it have to be grey/black? Could the campaign map background/shadow/whatever be made to look like a map of the world (on the same scale as the actual campaign map), so that when you scroll to the edge of the map, it looks as if the world stretches on further in all directions, just that you can't put units there? Make the shadow picture big enough so that people cannot scroll far enough to see the end of that, making the EB world seem bigger than it actually is (again, assuming it's within the limits of the hardcode).

It will just make EB2 seem more immersive in my opinion.

Failing that, could you stop people from scrolling beyond the campaign map altogether? I.e. limit their scrolling so that the north-westernmost part of the map can only ever be seen in the top left-hand corner of the screen (also preventing the player from seeing grey/black).

Foot
02-06-2008, 18:11
The size of the .tgas that make up what we see ingame as the campaign map have a maximum size, EBII will hit that maximum size just with the playable area. Also the "shadow picture" as you call it isn't a picture, but really another layer on top of a map image. In other words, your idea doesn't make sense given the files that we work with.

Foot

overweightninja
02-06-2008, 19:53
I liked the old Shogun way of having it as a map on a table, shame something like that can't be done :(

I Am Herenow
02-07-2008, 18:13
The size of the .tgas that make up what we see ingame as the campaign map have a maximum size, EBII will hit that maximum size just with the playable area. Also the "shadow picture" as you call it isn't a picture, but really another layer on top of a map image. In other words, your idea doesn't make sense given the files that we work with.

Foot
So is there no way to alter this "shadow" layer?

Foot
02-07-2008, 21:35
Its a monochrome mask ontop of the map image and so is the same size as the map itself, I imagine the game tiles the black image outward. No, it is not possible.

Foot