PDA

View Full Version : RTW:Fall of the Roman Era

Ibn-Khaldun
02-10-2008, 18:12
RTW:Fall of the Roman Era

RTW:FRE will cover the time period between early 3rd to late 4th century AD. (Begins in 220 and ends in 375)
Roman Empire was on it's decline. Frequent murders of the emperors and possibility for civil war became common. Economy was declining. Wars in north against barbarians and in east against Sassanids were constant threat to Rome.

RTW:FRE will give you chance to change the history. Can you hold the Roman Empire together or will you crush it as a barbarian or eastern king?? It is all up to you...

Factions:
Many of the RTW:BI factions are represented in this mod so most of the work will be done with Rome and eastern factions.
So these are the factions at the moment...
1. Roman Empire
2. Sassanids
3. Berbers
4. Frankish Alliance
5. Alemanni
6. Saxons
7. Celts
8. Goths
9. Sarmatians
10. Vandals
11. Huns
12. Roman Usurpers
13. Lombardi
14. Burgundi
15. Armenia
16. Nabataeans

Religion:
1. Christian
2. Zoroastrian
3. Roman Beliefs
4. Nomad Beliefs
5. Barbarian(Northern) Beliefs

Roman military reform:
Diocletian made a military reform in the end of the 3rd century dividing the Roman army into 2 parts: "frontier troops"(limitanei) and the "central reserve"(comitatenses). This reform will be in the game. It must be in it!! ~:)

Because I am not very good modeler you will not see any new units in it. But there will be some units from RTW used to make some factions more enjoyable. Roman Empire will have there legionaries back for an example ~:)
Also there will be changes made to recruitment(this affects mostly Romans).

I will try to give update soon. ~:)

Ibn-Khaldun
02-15-2008, 17:11
Update 15.02.08

1.All religions are made. There will be some changes made later mostly adding some more traits and ancillaries but for now I can leave it alone.
2.Soon there will be modified map ready so I can post some screenshots ~:)
3.Will finish the Roman Empire soon so I could start working with another factions.

the greek
02-20-2008, 17:45
sounds intresting good luck!:2thumbsup:

Ibn-Khaldun
02-22-2008, 02:43

Now .. something about settlements in FRE..
There will be settlements that have some bonuses and .. well .. settlements that don't :beam:
There are military settlements (you can recruit your best troops there), trading settlements (sp? .. these towns will have many public order bonuses and trading bonuses that other towns do not have) and the rest...
Navies can be recruited only in few places..
Because at the start of the game most of those "bonus settlements" are belonging to the romans and to the sassanids they have some early advantages.. but losing a town where romans can recruit there legionaries can cripple them a lot :2thumbsup:
Well .. so much about that ..
Will try to give better update at the end of this week ~:)

The Wandering Scholar
03-02-2008, 13:56
You have another follower.

Ibn-Khaldun
03-02-2008, 22:28
Good to hear that I have a follower :laugh4:

About the mod ..
I'm still working with it .. but because I'm doing everything at the same time (map,factions etc) then actually haven't done almost nothing :laugh4:

But I promise to prove myself so I could post some screenies of the campaign map that I have been working for a long time (had some problems and got CTD's a lot but now I hope that I know what I'm doing:idea2: )

Spartan198
03-20-2008, 02:18
Roman military reform:
Diocletian made a military reform in the end of the 3rd century dividing the Roman army into 2 parts: "frontier troops"(limitanei) and the "central reserve"(comitatenses). This reform will be in the game. It mus be in it!! ~:)

Because I am not very good modeler you will not see any new units in it. But there will be some units from RTW used to make some factions more enjoyable. Roman Empire will have there legionaries back for an example ~:)
Also there will be changes made to recruitment(this affects mostly Romans).
So we'd start a campaign with the quintessential Roman legionaries and the reforms would replace them with comitatensis?
If so,I would suggest tweaking some stats to make comitatensis superior to legionaries.

Ibn-Khaldun
03-21-2008, 00:46
So we'd start a campaign with the quintessential Roman legionaries and the reforms would replace them with comitatensis?
If so,I would suggest tweaking some stats to make comitatensis superior to legionaries.

Yes :yes: .. you will start the campaign with "regular" legionaries and they will be replaced with comitatenses and limitanei after reforms...
comitatenses will be stronger stat wise then legionaries but much-much more exspensive .. while the limitanei will be cheaper and little bit weaker then legionaries ...

Ibn-Khaldun
03-27-2008, 23:41
Now .. it's been long time since the last update so it is good time for one now ..

I'm making regional troops for the barbarians ..
Those units are:
Lombady Archers
Burgundian Lancers
Saxon Keel
Frankish Sword Herbann
Alemanni Axemen (2H)
Frisii Pirates
Frisii Pirateships (like large boats but stronger)
Marcomanni Axemen
Quadi Spearmen
Chatii Foresters (missile unit)

Now .. The Romans...
These are units for them .. at least now ..
Pre-Diocletian Reforms:
Legionaries
Legionary Cavalry
Archer Auxilia
Infantry Auxilia
Cavalry Auxilia (non missile unit)
*Provincial Infantry (cheap rebel fighting force)
*Provincial Cavalry (cheap rebel fighting force)
*Provincial Archers (cheap rebel fighting force)
*Veterans
Praetorians
Praetorian Cavalry
(this list is not 100% sure, there can be changes made to it)

Post-Diocletian Reforms
Limitanei
Comitatenses
Foederati Infantry (in northern provinces and barbarian lands only)
Foederati Cavalry (in northern provinces and barbarian lands only)
Auxilia Palatinii
Plumbatarii
Scholae Palatinae
Sarmatian Auxilia (steppe provinces only)
Cataphracts (eastern provinces only)
Eastern Archers (eastern provinces only)
Equites Sagitarii (mostly in eastern provinces)
(this list is not 100% sure, there can be changes made to it)

units with * can be trained after the reforms too..

Motep
03-29-2008, 02:43
I'd give you a hand, but I do not have BI. Sorry.

Flying Pig
04-04-2008, 21:18
erm...sorry but I have to mention this. The Roman Empire in the normal sense did not exist. There were two halves to it, the Eastern and Western empires, each ruled by a seperate Caedsar and Augustus. These were still nominally roman and never fought each other but the East spoke Greek and the West Latin, and neither helped either often, like when the Huns attacked the east and Germanics attacked the West. Prehaps your mod will use a superfaction to represent this?

Ibn-Khaldun
04-06-2008, 15:21
erm...sorry but I have to mention this. The Roman Empire in the normal sense did not exist. There were two halves to it, the Eastern and Western empires, each ruled by a seperate Caedsar and Augustus. These were still nominally roman and never fought each other but the East spoke Greek and the West Latin, and neither helped either often, like when the Huns attacked the east and Germanics attacked the West. Prehaps your mod will use a superfaction to represent this?

This mod starts in 220 ... historically the Empire is still under 1 ruler in that time period ..
There is roman usurpers faction (roman rebels) but there is no eastern or western half in this mod ..
I planned to make the eastern empire to appear after certain time but left that idea alone .. it would be just too difficult to do .. at least for me :shame: ..

Long lost Caesar
04-10-2008, 11:10
looks really good man, if you need help with anything send me a PM and i'd be happy to give you a hand. including a beta tester :beam:

Ibn-Khaldun
04-10-2008, 14:54
looks really good man, if you need help with anything send me a PM and i'd be happy to give you a hand. including a beta tester :beam:

I will remember that :2thumbsup:

Raz
04-16-2008, 11:30
Rather than making the legionaries weaker than the comitatenses... shouldn't you just make them more expensive and have the comitatenses cheaper? It just doesn't seem right that legionaries are weaker... But that's just my two cents... It's your mod after all. :nice:

Ibn-Khaldun
05-13-2008, 00:33
@Raz
Legionaries actually are not weaker .. they have good stats but comitatenses being the mobile force will have higher attack/charge than the legionaries ..
About the cost of the units .. legionaries are expensive .. but comitatenses will be even MORE expensive .. this way the comitatenses will be elite force they were in those days ..
what I've read(this could be wrong off course) is that the numbers of the comitatenses were small and thats why I would make them difficult-do-get-unit ...

Now ..
About the progress ..
Real life(yes .. I do have it) makes some limits to the progress of this mod ..
Also ..
I have no fresh ideas:shame: :no:
So .. I would appreciate any help I could get :yes:

anelious phyros
05-18-2008, 03:45
If you need any help with unit descriptions or some historic stuff, i could help. But i'm on the Diadochi team so I won't be able 24/7.

Just PM me for help, good luck.

Roman_Man#3
05-18-2008, 04:32
Comitanses weren't historically better than the Imperial Legions we all know and love. They were reformed because the Empire losing money and the Legions were costing a lot of money for a limited number of soldiers.. Comitanses were formed to get more soldiers out of the same amount of money. This meant less training though, and the shields degraded back to oval scutums.

Ibn-Khaldun
05-23-2008, 20:52
Comitanses weren't historically better than the Imperial Legions we all know and love. They were reformed because the Empire losing money and the Legions were costing a lot of money for a limited number of soldiers.. Comitanses were formed to get more soldiers out of the same amount of money. This meant less training though, and the shields degraded back to oval scutums.

Yes .. comitatenses weren't that much better than the 'regular legionaries' but there numbers were decreased .. so the 'comitatenses legions' were usually around 1000 troops.

So Diocletian created a central reserve, the comitatenses, who now enjoyed the highest status among the army.

These new, mobile units were organized into legions of one thousand men, rather than the traditional full-scale size of the old legion.

You can check this webpage .. it is quite good and I use it sometimes ..
http://www.roman-empire.net/index.html
:2thumbsup:

Another thing is that I probably need at the moment someone who could help me with scripting ...

beatoangelico
05-24-2008, 00:21
the shield actually didn't "degraded" at all. In the III century the scutum was already replaced by flatter oval or round shields, and the oval shield + spatha combo wasn't "worse" than scutum + gladius hispaniensis, just different.

Ibn-Khaldun
06-08-2008, 23:05
Little update

Here is the pic of the campaign map.
https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/ibnkhaldun/TW%20games/roomakaart2.jpg
As you can see it is not done completely.
Armenia is still missing(Eastern Roman Rebels will be Armenia).
Also Mauretania should belong to Roman Empire.

I haven't got time to work on this project as much as I wish I could. :embarassed:
Still need someone who can help me with scripting(I really suck on that:embarassed:)