PDA

View Full Version : Territories

Mithridates VI Eupator
02-10-2008, 19:42
I have a question: Will the territories (provinces) be the same in EB2 as they were in EB1? I read that there will be some changes in Iberia, but other than that? Especially since there will be 10 new factions in the game, some provinces might need to be "moved", in order to create enough space for such factions to expand.

And also... When will the next Stele be out? I can't wait to see what progress has been made since the last one.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-11-2008, 01:32
The map will generally be the same, though a few provinces will be moved around to different places. Like Augilia will be removed, for example.

Since the map scale will increase, many provinces will be reshaped a little and cities slightly moved, no doubt.

CaesarAugustus
02-11-2008, 01:40
A small issue really, but might I suggest that the border of Pannonia Illyrica (or whichever province holds Segestica) be made along the Danube? It makes sense that provinces would have their borders at a major river, or other defensible barrier. But I'm sure you guys have it all figured out, whatever the EB team thinks is best! :yes:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-11-2008, 04:39
You mean Vindobona/Pannonia and the Ak-Ink/Eravacouw border that seems a bit odd? Segestica/Pannonia-Illyrica is quite far from the Danube and already has a river just inside its border.

I like having rivers as borders too, but for some peoples rivers just weren't the borders. Some tribes lived along a river and controlled both sides, so the territory was made in such a way. The Romans (and maybe Makedones earlier) were the ones who decided that the Danube would be the border.

Mithridates VI Eupator
02-11-2008, 12:23
Ok. So one might expect some changes, then.

I came up with some other questions, not really related to this topic, but I'll post them here anyway, since they have to do with the factons' locations:

1. I suppose that all factions that were incorporated into EB1 will be in EB2, but will their territories change? I mean, with new factions and a slightly rearranged map, changes might need to take place.

2. this is actually not in any way related to the original topic, but what colours will the 10 new factions have? It seems most colours have already been used for the first 20 factions, and so it seems that the new ones will be forced to appear in different shades of red, blue and brown. or will they have, like in the original RTW, two colours per nation?

Just curious...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-11-2008, 22:08
1- Starting territories will be unchanged, for the most part. New factions won't make other factions loose territory, since the factions in EB1 are only given what they controlled historically, not what other (new) factions controlled, those are entirely rebel in EB1. And most of the new or removed territories will come and go to regions in 'rebel' hands in EB1.

There may be some unrelated changes. For example, Sophene might have been in the hands of the Hai at the start date and not a Seleukid dependant.

2- The one color per faction will remain. There are many different shades possible, though. And some factions might have similar colors but are on opposite sides of the map, so it won't really matter. (example: The Romani and the Saka nealry have the same color in EB1, but it rarely matters.)

CaesarAugustus
02-12-2008, 01:50
You mean Vindobona/Pannonia and the Ak-Ink/Eravacouw border that seems a bit odd? Segestica/Pannonia-Illyrica is quite far from the Danube and already has a river just inside its border.

I like having rivers as borders too, but for some peoples rivers just weren't the borders. Some tribes lived along a river and controlled both sides, so the territory was made in such a way. The Romans (and maybe Makedones earlier) were the ones who decided that the Danube would be the border.

Hmmm... makes sense. I what I have done so far is to roleplay that the area across the river is a demilitarised zone under surveillance, and it works well. The devestation penalty from enemies across the rivers are always annoying though.

Sarkiss
02-12-2008, 08:39
just played a Teutonic campaign and liked the feature when you can retrain not only factional trrops but also local mercenaries. only on the territories where you can find them for hire though. will be nice to see this implemented in EB2.

General Appo
02-12-2008, 10:15
Yeah, that makes sense doesn´t it.
I mean if you hire a band of Samnite Spearmen and then let them fight a couple of battles and lose some men, then the next time they stop in Samnite lands the captain of that band is obviously going to look for some fresh recruits to bring the unit back up to number. After all, you have to pay them more upkeep the more there are of them.

Sarkiss
02-12-2008, 20:36
Yeah, that makes sense doesn´t it.
I mean if you hire a band of Samnite Spearmen and then let them fight a couple of battles and lose some men, then the next time they stop in Samnite lands the captain of that band is obviously going to look for some fresh recruits to bring the unit back up to number. After all, you have to pay them more upkeep the more there are of them.
yep.
another feature, and actually the reason why i started playing Teutons in the first place, is partially restricted recruitment that relies on religious conversion! now you cannot simply capture a fortress and get all your factional troops availeble, but only a small fracture of a lower tier ones. really surprised me that CA desided to go in this direction. vanila recruitment is a big no no for me, the biggest factor that always put me off.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-13-2008, 08:18
Being able to retrain mercenaries is a feature of M2TW. I'm not sure, but I would imagine that it is hardcoded.

Bellum
02-17-2008, 03:29
Don't forget to change the city in Crete if you were going to do that.

Ayce
02-17-2008, 19:04
And Buridava is slightly more to the north, placed between the foothills of the mountains, near the border of the province.

Zarax
02-19-2008, 15:46
Not to mention to put Nora (SW Sardinia) as capital province and Karali as docks...

CaesarAugustus
02-20-2008, 01:05
I don't think that it is so far-fetched to have Karali as the capital of Sardinia, it seemed to serve that puropse as well as being the largest, richest city in Sardinia around EB's timeframe... what I don't understand is why the port is located in NW Sardinia when Nora and Karali each had two ports of their own. But these are small details of course, not game breaking. What i cant wait for is Stele #4! :beam: :whip:

http://www.usd.edu/erp/Sardinia/cities.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagliari#Early_history

Zarax
02-20-2008, 09:00
Nora was the administrative capital of Sardinia under Carthage and the romans until early imperial times while Karali was the main trading center.
This makes the combination pretty much perfect as you get settlement and docks close by and in their historically correct places.