PDA

View Full Version : A Naval Assault on a City

Raz
02-16-2008, 04:22
You know what I mean - Think of it, night begins to settle, the sun is low on the horizon. A dozen man-of-wars line up outside of a heavily defended citadel on the coast. The defenders maneuver their entire arsenal of artillery to the walls and hastily load them. The ships roll their round-shot into their cannons on all decks and the admiral gives the order to fire...

Meanwhile a demolition ship laden with explosives of all sorts sneak up beside the walls and the fuse is lit - The crew jump for their lives into the unforgiving sea below, whilst cannons on all sides fire. The sky is darkened through the smoke and cannon balls, then is quickly blackened twicefold through the shards of masonry from the walls and the splinters of the white oak from the ships. The explosives are set off in a ball of fire and chunks of the stone wall are blown in all directions, it collapses.

Small boats packed with soldiers move into the breach, as they near they are spotted by the defenders and are targeted by the musketeers on the remaining wall. The area is filled with noise of cannon and musket-fire, and reaks of the scent of salt-water being splashed high in the air, and of course black-powder. The city is lit with the glow of flames as heated cannon-balls set ships ablaze on the ocean outward. The boats dock on the rocky outcrops near the breach in the wall and bayonet-charge the defenders. The melee following is bloody but quick, the defenders retreat to the star-shaped fort in the centre of the city, and it is there where they make their last stand.

- My account of an amphibious assault, loosely based off of the event when the British tried to assault St. Malo. It is entirely fictional however.... <_<

Of course, I could only dream of something like that being implemented into ETW, but dream I shall. :shame:
But what could be possible is city's being pretty much right on top of the water. And when you besiege it, perhaps your navy could fire from the coast-line while your infantry on land assault the walls from the opposite side.
But now that I think about it, if naval battles require a different UI to the land battles, then I don't know how this would be possible... *sighs* *goes back to dreaming*

rajpoot
02-16-2008, 05:14
Hope hope, never lose hope. It has still not been said that this feature will not be there.......so we might still hope that it might be there :beam:
Meanwhile, if I'm not wrong, another batch of info is about to be released within a week.

pevergreen
02-16-2008, 13:57
I dont believe its possible in game terms. Maybe Cutscene or auto-resolve.

The Wandering Scholar
02-16-2008, 14:02
Hmm. Maybe on a different title.

rajpoot
02-16-2008, 14:28
Well I believe that while its not possible for them to do the whole thing alongwith controlling the ship fully, something like controlling only the ship's cannons, making it stationary and immovable, but usable just as a big battery of cannons, with a nice effects and all can be done.........

Veho Nex
02-16-2008, 16:43
I like that idea. Though if they introduced a small cut scene during an auto resovle, where you have the ability to pull up the flag and run before your enemy kills you off. Now theres an idea

Forlorn Hope
03-09-2008, 02:25
I guess they could use them as stationary batteries off shore, for example shelling a coastal city (e.g. Copenhagen). Controlling them is probably a step too far though, and it would have to be very hit and miss :book:

Caerfanan
03-12-2008, 13:21
You know what I mean - Think of it, night begins to settle, the sun is low on the horizon. A dozen man-of-wars line up outside of a heavily defended citadel on the coast. The defenders maneuver their entire arsenal of artillery to the walls and hastily load them. The ships roll their round-shot into their cannons on all decks and the admiral gives the order to fire...

Meanwhile a demolition ship laden with explosives of all sorts sneak up beside the walls and the fuse is lit - The crew jump for their lives into the unforgiving sea below, whilst cannons on all sides fire. The sky is darkened through the smoke and cannon balls, then is quickly blackened twicefold through the shards of masonry from the walls and the splinters of the white oak from the ships. The explosives are set off in a ball of fire and chunks of the stone wall are blown in all directions, it collapses.

Small boats packed with soldiers move into the breach, as they near they are spotted by the defenders and are targeted by the musketeers on the remaining wall. The area is filled with noise of cannon and musket-fire, and reaks of the scent of salt-water being splashed high in the air, and of course black-powder. The city is lit with the glow of flames as heated cannon-balls set ships ablaze on the ocean outward. The boats dock on the rocky outcrops near the breach in the wall and bayonet-charge the defenders. The melee following is bloody but quick, the defenders retreat to the star-shaped fort in the centre of the city, and it is there where they make their last stand.

- My account of an amphibious assault, loosely based off of the event when the British tried to assault St. Malo. It is entirely fictional however.... <_<

Of course, I could only dream of something like that being implemented into ETW, but dream I shall. :shame:
But what could be possible is city's being pretty much right on top of the water. And when you besiege it, perhaps your navy could fire from the coast-line while your infantry on land assault the walls from the opposite side.
But now that I think about it, if naval battles require a different UI to the land battles, then I don't know how this would be possible... *sighs* *goes back to dreaming*

This, sir, sounds more than great (and remembers me this old "Pirate" Game! :yes: )

Raz
03-12-2008, 13:36
... and the name of this Pirate game is? :grin2:

Caerfanan
03-12-2008, 13:39
... and the name of this Pirate game is? :grin2:
I think it was simply "Pirates", wasn't it? You had to manoeuver a ship under citadel's fire. But I'm speaking of a game from the early 90s...

Decker
03-13-2008, 01:03
Can you say...Saving Private Smith!

Caerfanan
03-13-2008, 12:12
Can you say...Saving Private Smith!
Uh?

Divinus Arma
03-23-2008, 04:25
I remember bringing up this very same topic in an earlier thread in this area. I can only dream.

Belgolas
03-26-2008, 13:47
why not just have a ship icon like in M2TW where you can control an AI army a bit and you direct the fire like that? I think it is 100% possible.

Aemilianus the Younger
03-26-2008, 21:30
me too, it should be easily do able and it seems that everyone so far has enjoyed the idea.While we are on the idea of naval battles and amphibious assaults, why cant you sail up rivers?
that would be an excellent addition.

Decker
03-27-2008, 01:26
me too, it should be easily do able and it seems that everyone so far has enjoyed the idea.While we are on the idea of naval battles and amphibious assaults, why cant you sail up rivers?
that would be an excellent addition.
Like in AGEOD's American Civil War?
I'd say maybe if there were more like the campaigns in Kingdoms or only certain ships could make it up and down the rivers.

Raz
03-27-2008, 09:23
Hmm, rivers... this brings up another possible feature. Canals!
Which brings another, railroads! But, we'll save that for another thread. ;)
I wonder if you'll be able to construct canals in a province so you can sail your smaller ships through the region without fear of storms etc. Hmmm, it should also increase commerce in that region too, thinking about it.... :thinking:

rajpoot
03-27-2008, 11:11
Hmm, rivers... this brings up another possible feature. Canals!
Which brings another, railroads! But, we'll save that for another thread. ;)
I wonder if you'll be able to construct canals in a province so you can sail your smaller ships through the region without fear of storms etc. Hmmm, it should also increase commerce in that region too, thinking about it.... :thinking:

Excellent idea, afterall, rivers and canals were major routes for smaller ships.....

About the railroad though, just one doubt, the railroads, were not built in the game's timeframe were they? I mean, if I remember my school lessons well, in India at least, the first steamer, railroad, and telegraph were introduced sometime between 1840-1855.........

Subedei
03-27-2008, 11:25
This, sir, sounds more than great (and remembers me this old "Pirate" Game! :yes: ):idea2: :yes: I hear some Sid Meier....

Raz
03-27-2008, 11:51
About the railroad though, just one doubt, the railroads, were not built in the game's timeframe were they? I mean, if I remember my school lessons well, in India at least, the first steamer, railroad, and telegraph were introduced sometime between 1840-1855.........

Ehh... probably. :shrug:
My knowledge of railroads isn't as superior as I thought it was... :laugh4:

Matt_Lane
03-27-2008, 21:56

Trethicks Pennydarren was hauling coal in 1804 however steam did not really take off until after the games time frame. Weirdly enough though some off the recent concept art shows what looks to be Locomotion No 1 from the Stockton & Darlington Railway that wasn't opened until 1825.

http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/23048/PC/Empire-Total-War

Semaphore telegraphs were present from the late 18th century and in Britain were installed along the coast to signal if a Napoleonic invasion fleet were sighted. This could be an interesting development in the game, perhaps working as watch towers do in the other titles.