PDA

View Full Version : The War to End All Wars

Csargo
02-16-2008, 09:05
Background Info:

With the Pan-Slavik movement in full swing and Austria-Hungary's influence in the Balkans waning it is not surprising what happened. On June 28, 1914 Gavrilo Princip assassinated the Archduke of Austria-Hungary Franz Ferdinand the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary in Sarajevo. An ultimatum was sent from Austria-Hungary to Serbia. Serbia's response, which agreed to some of the requests but not all, was sent and it mobilized for war on July 25th. On the 28th of July Austria-Hungary mobilized against Serbia and officially declared war. Within the next week general mobilizations were ordered by many of the great powers(Russia, France, Austria-Hungary, and Germany). As well as declarations of war from Germany to Russia and France. With the cards set in place how will the war to end all wars end up?

A look at the alliance structure of pre-WWI Europe:
https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6518/wwichartxmy6.png

Map of Europe 1914:
https://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3079/europe18711914cn5.jpg

Colonies as of 1900:
https://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9114/imperialism2gk3.png

Ottoman Empire 1914:
https://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9464/ottomanempirexc8.gif

https://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3500/worldwaroneweballianceew1.jpg

I hope that was somewhat informative for whoever reads it :beam:

Nations list:

Germany: kamikhaan
France: Caius
United Kingdom: Warluster
Austria-Hungary: scottishranger
Serbia: Shlin28
Russia: Count"I don't like the guy who runs this IH"Arach
Ottoman Empire: Tran
Bulgaria: Ravie
Romania: Sarathos
Italy: Lt. Pinard
United States: DemonArchangel

General Information:

This is going to start off as historically accurate as possible. Germany, A-H, and the Ottoman Empire will be at war with France, Russia, Serbia, and the UK. Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, and the US will be able to join either side of the conflict.

I would like you all to do some research on your own of the nation you choose. Army strength, Naval strength, leaders, policies, etc. and post it here. If you have trouble I'd be happy to help you find anything.

Turns:

Turns will last anywhere from one to two weeks. I'm undecided on whether to have you just write up your own turns or have like other IHs and have me give you a list of options. I think I'll let you all decide which one it is.

Diplomacy:

Diplomacy will be handled in the same way as in most other IHs, propaganda in the thread and correspondence between allies by PM or other means.

That's all I can think of at the moment feel free to ask questions about anything.

CountArach
02-16-2008, 09:46
I'll take Russia thanks.

Warluster
02-16-2008, 10:27
I'll take the UK thanks.

Csargo
02-16-2008, 11:13
I'm undecided on whether to have you just write up your own turns or have like other IHs and have me give you a list of options. I think I'll let you all decide which one it is.

If you would all give your opinions that'd be great.

shlin28
02-16-2008, 11:46
In as Sebia.

And multiple choices would be great

Caius
02-16-2008, 15:21
Give me France.

Ravie
02-16-2008, 15:27
Ill take Italy Please

SJ style works really well Ichigo :2thumbsup: we send you wat we want to do :book:

Tran
02-16-2008, 17:28
Since no one pick Triple Alliance, I'll start by choosing Ottoman Empire.

Question:
1. Will there be naval and air combat involve?
2. Is the war limited in Europe or will it be worldwide?

DemonArchangel
02-16-2008, 17:39
The United States please. I have an order of battle for the American Expeditionary Force, although I'm having trouble finding an order of battle for the US Navy at around 1914. If somebody could please find one, I'd be most grateful.

Tran
02-16-2008, 18:14
Here's a good website about WW1 (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWW.htm)

Ottoman Empire

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Ottoman_Navy_at_the_Golden_Horn.jpg

Sultan of the Ottoman Empire : Mehmed V
Commander-in-Chief of the Ottoman Army : İsmail Enver (a.k.a : Enver Pasha)

At the beginning of the 20th century a large area of the Middle East, the Ottoman Empire, was ruled by the Sultan of Turkey, Abdul Hamid II and his appointed Grand Vizier. However, the governors of the Empire's four provinces: Anatolia, Mesopotamia, Kurdistan and Arabia enjoyed a certain amount of autonomy.

A series of military defeats in the 19th century had compelled the Turks to grant zones of influence to European powers: Britain (Egypt), France (Syria and the Lebanon), Austria-Hungary (Bosnia-Herzegovina), Italy (Libya). Russia was interested in Armenia and Italy wanted parts of the eastern Mediterranean.

Abdul Hamid II was forced to summon a parliament in 1908 by the Young Turks movement. He attempted a counter revolution in April 1909, and when this failed he was deposed and exiled to Salonika. Enver Pasha, eventually emerged as the new leader of the country.

In 1914 the Ottoman Empire contained an estimated 25 million people. Although there were 14 million Turks, there was also large Arab, Assyrians, Armenian, Kurdish, Greek and Circassion minorities within the Empire. As a result, there existed nationalist, separatist movements in several areas of the territory under the control of the Turks.

The Turkish Army was made up of Anatolian Turks, Arabs, Armenians, Kurds and Syrians. The army performed badly during the Balkan Wars (1912-13) and it was clear that there was great need for reform. In 1913 Turkish government invited the German Liman von Sanders to help modernize its army.

Under threat from within and outside its borders, the Turkish government sought a protective agreement from one of the two European power blocs: the Triple Alliance or the Triple Entente. As Turkey was mainly concerned about Russian expansion, it decided in July 1914, to sign a defensive alliance with Germany. This remained a secret agreement and Turkey continued to have talks with other European countries.

The Army

The Turkish Army was made up of Anatolian Turks, Arabs, Armenians, Kurds and Syrians. The army performed badly during the Balkan Wars (1912-13) and it was clear that there was great need for reform. In 1913 Turkish government invited the German Liman von Sanders to help modernize its army.

On the outbreak of the First World War, 36 divisions were organised into three armies. Each division had three infantry battalions (each of four companies), a machine gun detachment and 36 field guns. Although attempts were made to dramatically increase the size of the army, desertions meant that full strength was never above 43 divisions.

Enver Pasha, the War Minister, held overall control over the Turkish armed forces, but the influence of the German Army increased during the war. The army's greatest success was at Gallipoli but it was less successful fighting against the British Army on the Mespotamian Front.

The Turkish government did not keep accurate records of its wartime losses so estimates of battle deaths varies from 470,000 to 530,000. Another 770,000 were wounded and another 100,000 probably died from illness.

seireikhaan
02-16-2008, 18:16
Hmm...

Germany.

DemonArchangel
02-16-2008, 18:59
Army: http://www.newrivernotes.com/ww1/

I have roughly 97 divisions that can be assembled in a fairly short order of time, although I lack artillery, good airplanes and good tanks.

Navy: http://www.worldwar1atsea.net/WW1NavyUS.htm

Political Situation: Isolationist.

shlin28
02-16-2008, 22:16
http://www.vojska.net/eng/world-war-1/serbia/organization/1914/

According to that, I have 65700 ox... can I wrap them in explosive or something and send them off to Austria? :yes:

Csargo
02-16-2008, 22:53
Since no one pick Triple Alliance, I'll start by choosing Ottoman Empire.

Question:
1. Will there be naval and air combat involve?
2. Is the war limited in Europe or will it be worldwide?

Yes, but probably won't be quite as important as land combat. I'll have to figure out how it will work out.

2. Well, it would be easier on me to just do Europe, but I'll let you all decide.

can I wrap them in explosive or somethig and send them off to Austria?

I doubt that'll end well for you.

scottishranger
02-17-2008, 00:04
I will be Austria-Hungary
http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/inforg1.html

One Battalion = 125 men
Company = 2 battalions
Regiment= 5 Companies

Army:
The soldier of this army was well armed with the Mannlicher rifle, Skoda machine guns and some of the most excellent artillery pieces in the world. Uniforms were relatively modern and followed closely to the German style of the time with the exception of the flamboyant Calvary regiments who insisted on starting the war in their garish 19th century costumes complete with braid and brass. The Austrian army however was lacking in modern communication and transport, having the fewest airplanes and motorized equipment of any of the 1914 armies. Austria-Hungary had 13 Flieger Kompagnie (Fliks) (flying companies), with a total of 48 operational aircraft, 85 pilots and observers, and ten balloons.

The strength of the active army during periods of peace was about 350,000 officers and men organized in 53 small divisions. In October 1912 the Minister of War asked for an extraordinary credit of £10,000,000 for war material and the rearmament of the artillery and to expand the intake of conscripts to provide for a larger army upon mobilization. On July 28th, when the Austrian artillery units began to bombard Belgrade in the opening shots of the war, the mobilized army had an approximate strength of 1,147,000. This was to face the bulk of a three million man Russian army, a 400,000 man Serbian force, as well as provide guards for the Rumanian and Italian borders in case of their entry into the war.

30 000 Officers
410 000 NCO's and troops
87 000 Horses (about - only uncertain information available)
1200 guns in the Field - Artillery units
After the war was declared, a total number of 3.35 million men (including the first call up of the reserves and the 1914 recruits) gathered for action.

The common Army (k.u.k. - kaiserlich und königlich) as at July 1914
16 Corps
49 Infantry Divisions - 76 Infantry Brigades - 14 Mountain Brigades
8 Cavalry Divisions - 16 Cavalry Brigades
102 Infantry Regiments (four Battalions each) - 4 Bosnisch-Hercegowinische (Bosnian-Herzegowian) Infantry Regiments (four Battalions each)
4 Imperial Tyrolian Rifles Regiments (Tiroler Kaiserjäger) (four Battalions each)
32 Rifles-Battalions (Feldjäger) - 1 Bosnian-Herzegowian Rifles Battalion (Bosnisch-Hercegowinisches Feldjäger Bataillon)
42 Field Artillery Regiments (Feldkanonen-Regimenter) - 14 Field Howitzer Regiments (Feldhaubitz-Regimenter)
11 Mounted Artillery Battalions (originally named Reitende Artillerie Division) - 14 Heavy Howitzer Battalions (originally named schwere Haubitz-Division)
11 Mountain Artillery Regiments (Gebirgsartillerie Regimenter)
6 Fortress Artillerie Regiments (Festungsartillerie Regimenter) - 8 independent Fortress Artillery Battalions (selbst. Festungsartillerie Bataillone)
15 Regiments of Dragoons (Dragoner) - 16 Regiments of Hussars (Husaren) - 11 Regiments of Lancers (Ulanen)

16 Transportation Battalions (Train)
23 Engineers Battalions (Sappeure/Pioniere) - 1 Bridge Construction Battalion (Brücken Bataillon) - 1 Railroad Regiment (Eisenbahn-Regiment) - 1 Signal Regiment (Telegraphen-Regiment)

Navy August 1914 Strength

Dreadnoughts 4

Semi-dreadnoughts 3

Battlecruisers - 0

Pre-dreadnought battleships 12

Coast defence ships 4

Armoured cruisers 3
Protected cruisers 2
Light/scout cruisers 8

Destroyers 25

Submarines 6

Csargo
02-17-2008, 00:13
We have enough people to start now since Bulgaria and Romania start out neutral, or we can wait. Once you guys post your info. I think I'll use Ravie's idea for turns where you just send me what you want to do.

Ravie
02-17-2008, 01:12
When i go to bed tonight ill have no.. *shit on my ass time* until monday so wont gather any info until then, so feel free to start when ever and ill jump in with my info when i have it

Warluster
02-17-2008, 01:14
Great BritainAt the beginning of the 20th century the British Empire covered more than 11,400,000 square miles of territory. This made it the largest empire the world had ever known. The foundations for the empire were laid between 1750 and 1850 during which Britain acquired India, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Rhodesia, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, several islands in the West Indies and various colonies on the African coast. The late 19th century saw the acquisition of new territories in Africa and by 1900 the British king, Edward VII, reigned over 410 million people.

The British Empire was protected by a Royal Navy that included 18 modern dreadnoughts, 29 battleships (pre-dreadnought design), 10 battlecruisers, 20 town cruisers, 15 scout cruisers, 200 destroyers and 150 cruisers.

By 1914 Britain was no longer the dominant economic power in Europe. It still had the world's largest shipbuilding industry but in other areas such as coal, iron, chemicals and light engineering, Britain was out-performed by Germany.

In 1914 Britain was a constitutional monarchy under George V. The government was formed by the majority party of the House of Commons. Members of this parliament were elected by some 8 million registered male voters. The aristocratic House of Lords had limited power to veto legislation.

The Liberal Party had governed Britain since 1906. Senior members of the government included Herbert Asquith (Prime Minister), Sir Edward Grey (Foreign Secretary) and David Lloyd George (Chancellor of the Exchequer). Ramsay MacDonald (Labour Party) and Andrew Bonar Law (Conservative Party) led the main opposition parties in the House of Commons.

Since the later part of the 19th century the British government had considered Germany to be the main threat to its empire. This was reinforced by Germany's decision in 1882 to form the Triple Alliance. Under the terms of this military alliance, Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy agreed to support each other if attacked by either France or Russia.

France felt threatened by the Triple Alliance. Britain was also concerned by the growth in the German Navy and in 1904 the two countries signed the Entente Cordiale (friendly understanding). The objective of the alliance was to encourage co-operation against the perceived threat of Germany. Three years later, Russia, who also feared the growth in the German Army, joined Britain and France to form the Triple Entente.

By August 1914, Britain had 247,432 regular troops. About 120,000 of these were in the British Expeditionary Army and the rest were stationed abroad. There were soldiers in all Britain's overseas possessions except the white dominions of Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

The Royal Flying Corps (RFC) had been established in May 1912. By 1914 the RFC had 110 aircraft (BE-2, Farman MF-7, Avro 504, Vickers FB5, Bristol Scout, F.E.2) and 6 airships.

A question Ichigo; will I also own the Colonies of Britain (Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all those lands in Americas, Africa and Asia?)

Csargo
02-17-2008, 01:20
A question Ichigo; will I also own the Colonies of Britain (Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all those lands in Americas, Africa and Asia?)

Yes, you may draw troops from those countries.

Warluster
02-17-2008, 02:36
Yes, you may draw troops from those countries.

Yay!:2thumbsup: Here come the ANZAC's! :wings: I look forward to the start!

Csargo
02-17-2008, 03:22
I've added two more maps one of the Colonies in 1900 and one of the entire Ottoman Empire of 1914.

Sarathos
02-17-2008, 06:00
Sign me up for Romania please, and I shall post the research later.

CountArach
02-17-2008, 06:16
Yay!:2thumbsup: Here come the ANZAC's! :wings: I look forward to the start!
Time to be slaughtered at Gallipoli!

The Imperial Russian Army of 1914

http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_imperial_russian_army_of_1914

With 14 million peasant drafts lead by an officer corps one percent of that size, the Russian army was short of every single thing except soldiers, bravery and enemies

The army was made up mainly of conscripted illiterate peasants lead by a very small (compared to other European forces) officer corps and an even smaller cadre of professional non commissioned officers. Western sources have given the tsarist officer corps a bad rap in the past eighty years-- painting it as a group of rich titled buffoons with no military skill. The fact is that it was a professional dedicated group that was mainly drawn from the tiny Russian middle class-nearly 40-percent of the officers in the Russian Army were of peasant origins.

officers made many recommendations during 1907-1910 to modernize the army and it was to their credit that the Russians could take to the field at all in 1914. These efforts produced at the time the worlds largest peacetime army of 1,423,000 men organized in 16 Guards, 16 Grenadier, 208 Infantry, 44 Siberian rifle, 20 Sharpshooter, 12 Finnish rifle, 8 Caucasian rifle, 22 Turkestan rifle regiments plus 64 regular cavalry regiments and no less than 52 regiments of Cossack auxiliary cavalry. When mobilized with reservists and fully fleshed out this army amounted to 3,115,000 men in the front lines when war was declared on August 3rd, 1914. A force of 22 million stood ready to answer the call to defend the motherland if total mobilzation was used. This huge 'steamroller' army was to oppose the German, Austrian and Turkish army along a front many times longer and much more brutal than anything seen in France or Belgium.

The arms and armaments of the Russian Army were some of the best in Europe. The excellent 1891 Mosin nagant rifle is still carried by many eastern European armies today as is the maxim heavy machinegun. The 76.2mm light field gun was well respected and considered by many to be one of the best light cannon of the modern era.

In 1914 the Russian Army actually had the highest ratio of machine guns to troops of any major power, 2.2 pieces per thousand men, at a time when the next best ratio was the Germany Army’s 1.3. The principal stumbling block to this was in the sheer scale of the need to arm millions with an overtaxed and backward industrial complex that struggled to produce thousands. Russia started the war deficient in quantities of every needed military store except men. Terrible logistical support was the final nail in the army's coffin, leaving the huge mass of men lacking of all basic supplies.

The Russian Military Air Fleet had about 244 aircraft, many already worn, in 30 aviaotryadiy (AOs) (aviation detachments) and eight fortress aviation detachments. There were 213 pilots, and 14 airships, only four of which were fit for wartime service. The Russian Amy had only 420 motorized transport vehicles (including two ambulances) and 259 passenger cars. In early 1914, European Russia had only two thirds of a mile of railroad track for each one hundred square versts (1 verst = 1.067 km) of territory, while Germany had more than ten times that amount of track.

Four years of world war saw 14,000,000 Russians of all backgrounds placed into the uniform of the tsar. The graves of the eastern, Caucasian, and western fronts kept an unknown number of these men, the ledger book being lost in the subsequent civil war. General Golovine calculated 1,300,000 men were killed in action; 4,200,000 wounded, of whom 350,000 later died; and 2,400,000 taken prisoner. This gives a total of 7,900,000, more than half of the total number of men mobilized between 1914 and 1917

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWinRussia.htm

In 1914 the Russian Navy had 4 battleships, 10 cruisers, 21 destroyers, 11 submarines and 50 torpedo boats.

Lt. Pinard
02-17-2008, 17:19
If there one left I'll take it. Bulgaria looks like its still open.

scottishranger
02-17-2008, 17:39
The Russian Army is incredibly scary to Austria....

Lt. Pinard
02-17-2008, 17:41
Bulgaria
Independent kingdom under Prince Ferdinand

Bulgaria's parliament had the power to veto royal legislation. The most powerful political group in parliament was the Nationalist Party. In 1913 Vasil Radoslavov became Bulgaria's prime minister.

Prince Ferdinand favoured an expansionist foreign policy

After the Balkan Wars (1912-13) the size of the army was increased to ten divisions. Each division of 24,000 men were supported by cavalry squadrons, machine-gun troops and field artillery.
(24,000*10=240,000)
With no major arms industry, the Bulgarian Army relied heavily on supplies of shells, bullets, artillery and machine guns from the German Army. The German Army Air Service also provided both personnel and aircraft.
Bulgarian troops were concentrated on the Balkan Front and took part in the invasion of Serbia in October 1915. They also kept guard over Allied troops in Salonika and protected the Thrace border against attack from Greece. About 1.2 million Bulgarians fought during the First World War

shlin28
02-17-2008, 20:20
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_wwi_serbian_army_of_1914_

More evidence of Serbian awsomeness.

Lt. Pinard
02-17-2008, 20:34
LOL Serbian awesomeness!! :laugh:
LMAO

The only awesomeness serbia has is the awesome asskicking that's coming its way.

scottishranger
02-17-2008, 20:40
http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_wwi_serbian_army_of_1914_

More evidence of Serbian awsomeness.
Staff Voyvoda (Field Marshall) Radomir Putnik has been arrested at the hospital he was residing at in Austria. He will not be released until the conclusion of the war and it has been seen to that Serbia will never threaten the Hapsburg Dynasty and the Dual Monarchy ever again.

DemonArchangel
02-17-2008, 21:53
The United States is beginning to mobilize its armaments industry should anybody be willing to purchase weaponry. Also, it sends out a formal notice that any party interdicting or attacking United States shipping shall be dealt with most severely. All goods shall of course, be sold at market price. The military is on standby at this moment, preparing to mobilize if need be.

Csargo
02-17-2008, 23:50
Once everyone gets their information up we can start. Turns will be done by you with plans, how many troops, etc.

Ravie
02-18-2008, 01:17
Sorry guys going to have to pull out of this one... looking like its gonna be a big IH... good luck

Just dont have time :O!!

Csargo
02-18-2008, 02:32
Sorry guys going to have to pull out of this one... looking like its gonna be a big IH... good luck

Just dont have time :O!!

It's alright. Italy is now open.

Sarathos
02-18-2008, 04:37
My Info, I hope its enough

Monarch -
1.Carol I, King of Romania (1866/1881-1914)
2.Ferdinand I, King of Romania (1914-1927)

Prime Minister -
1.Titu Liviu Maiorescu, Prime Minister of Romania (1912-1914)
2.Ion Brătianu, Prime Minister of Romania (1914-1918)

Romanian Generals -
1.Alexandru Averescu
2.Constantin Prezan

Romania was an autonomous principality within the Ottoman Empire until it gained independence in 1877. After the Second Balkan War in 1913, Romania's size increased to 140,000 square kilometres.

Romania's economy was primarily based on agriculture and its 7.5 million people, who were mainly concentrated in the fertile Wallachian Plains. Romania depended heavily on trade with Germany. Its other powerful neighbour, Austria-Hungary, was unpopular as it was believed that the government had done very little to stop the maltreatment of 3 million Romanians in Transylvania.
Romania's peacetime army was manned by limited conscription. All adult males spent time in the territorial reserve and this gave it a regular strength of around 100,000 men. On the outbreak of the Second Balkan War in 1913, conscription was introduced and the army grew to 400,000.
In August 1916, Romania joined the Allies against the Central Powers. Within weeks Germany responded by invading Romania and by the end of the year controlled Wallachia and Dobrudja and most of the country's natural resources including its oil supplies.
After Russia withdrew from the fighting Romania was placed in an impossible situation and in December, 1917, the prime minister announced a ceasefire. Under the Treaty of Bucharest, Romania became a virtual economic colony of the Central Powers. Germany stripped the country of food and raw materials and it is estimated that the occupation led to the deaths of 500,000 civilians.

Royal Romanian Army
23 Infantary Divisions (First 10 are special forces)
Five home guard reserve brigades
1st and 2nd Cavalry Divisions

1 Division = 25 000 troops

The Royal Romanian Artillery Corp
1-20 Field Artillery Brigades
1-2 Guard Artillery Brigades
1 Frontier-guard Artillery Brigade
1-2 Heavy Artillery Brigades
1-2 Fortifications Artillery Brigades
1-2 Mountain Artillery Brigades

Royal Romanian Navy

Danube Fleet
River Monitors:
NMS I. C. Bratianu
NMS Al. Lahovari
NMS L. Catargiu
NMS M. Kogalniceanu

Gunboats:
NMS Grivita
NMS Oltul
NMS Siretul
NMS Bistrita

Fluvial Motor Torpedo Boats:
NMS Major Ene
NMS Captain L. Bogdan
NMS Captain Romano
NMS Major Giurascu
NMS Major Sontu
NMS Major Gr. Ioan
NMS Lt. Calinescu
NMS Captain V Maracineanu

Black Sea Fleet

Cruisers:
NMS Elisabeta

Torpedo boats:
NMS Smeul
NMS Zborul
NMS Naluca

Royal Romanian Air Force
During World War I, Romania acquired 322 aircraft from France and Great Britain including: Nieuport fighters (types 11, 12, 19, 21, 23, and 28), Farman reconnaissance and light bombing aircraft (types 40 and 46), and Breguet-Michelin heavy bombers. On September 16, 1916, a Romanian Farman-40 shot down a Luftwaffe aircraft near Slobozia; this was the first victory in the history of the Romanian Air Force. By the end of World War I, Romanian pilots had achieved about 11,000 hours of flight and fought 750 air battles.

Lt. Pinard
02-18-2008, 13:54
I'd rather be Italy then Bulgaria so if no one jumps into take it I will.

But if there is a new player that's wants it then go ahead. I already start Bulgaria anyways.

Caius
02-18-2008, 21:25
I need info about mah faction.

shlin28
02-18-2008, 21:53
http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/uniform4.htm

http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_french_army_of_1914

Done your research for you Caius :inquisitive:

And to Austria:

You unchivalrious backstabbers! Would we, the peaceful nation of Serbia, detain an old and ill man, no matter where their allegiance lies?

If you have have not released the old marshal by next week, prepared to be pwned by the royal Serbian army.

Caius
02-19-2008, 00:26
Done your research for you Caius
Tnx.

scottishranger
02-19-2008, 01:31
http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/uniform4.htm

http://militaryhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_french_army_of_1914

Done your research for you Caius :inquisitive:

And to Austria:

You unchivalrious backstabbers! Would we, the peaceful nation of Serbia, detain an old and ill man, no matter where their allegiance lies?

If you have have not released the old marshal by next week, prepared to be pwned by the royal Serbian army.
I dont know, maybe you would just assasinate him instead while he is on a peaceful endeavor in Sarajevo.

Oh, wait, that was our Archduke Ferdinand...

You have two choices, lay down your arms, or we will make you. Serbia has to long been fueling instability and anarchism in the Balkans. We will see that you are put in your place.

Ravie
02-19-2008, 01:41
Decided I will rejoin if thats ok Ichigo (ill make time :D), but would prefer and smaller faction

waiting on Pinard about swapping for bulgaria :)

Csargo
02-19-2008, 02:06
Decided I will rejoin if thats ok Ichigo (ill make time :D), but would prefer and smaller faction

waiting on Pinard about swapping for bulgaria :)

I'm fine with that.

Lt. Pinard
02-19-2008, 02:20
Ya me and Ravie are switching factions. I'll go look up the italy stuff right now.

Other Countries take note
make sure you send PMs to the right person.

Ravie
02-19-2008, 02:22
Aye.. i am now Bulgaria and Lt.Pinard is Italy

Cheers dude.

Csargo
02-19-2008, 02:33
Alright list updated.

Lt. Pinard
02-19-2008, 03:00
Italy
By 1911 Italy had a population of 34.7 million. Although primarily an agricultural economy, there was considerable industry in the northern areas of the country. To feed its growing population, Italy needed to import some foods, notably grain from Russia and Germany.
A large Italian population remained within Austria-Hungary in the Trentino and Trieste regions.
Italy was a constitutional monarchy. Victor Emmanuel III had been king since 1900. People were appointed to the upper house of the National Assembly but the lower house was elected by universal adult male suffrage. The prime minister was Antonio Salandra
The Italian Government introduced military conscription in 1907. However, only about 25 per cent of those eligible for conscription received training and by 1912 there were only 300,000 men in the Italian Army.
In July 1914 General Luigi Cadorna became chief of staff of the Italian Army. Although the Italian government declared its intentions to be neutral on the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, Cadorna expected war and began building up his army. He decided to concentrate his forces on the borders with Austria-Hungary.

The main Italian Fleet in August 1914, based at Taranto under Vice Adm HRH Luigi di Savoia, Duke of Abbruzzi, includes most of the major warships -

all three completed dreadnoughts (again with three more to follow),
eight pre-dreadnoughts,
eight out of ten armoured cruisers,
light and scout cruisers,
destroyers, torpedo boats and submarines.
Other vessels are based in Albanian, Aegean and Libyan waters.

Wasnt as easy to find stuff on italy as I thought it would be.

Whacker
02-19-2008, 04:41
This IH is not very well run.

/runs

Edit - \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ Chillaxe brah, I'm just giving Itchy a hard time. Hence the /runs, which indicates the humor. :bow:

Lt. Pinard
02-19-2008, 05:44
This IH is not very well run.

/runs

Yo what the hell is that, Whacker

That is pretty rude and unnecessary.

Who are you to come in here and say that. Its not even like u offer advice to support your claim or to help improve it.

If you dont like the way its being run then stop reading the thread.

Csargo
02-19-2008, 05:51
He wasn't being serious Lt. Pinard. Whacker's a pretty cool guy, he trolls my posts and doesn't afraid of anything.

Lt. Pinard
02-19-2008, 05:58
OO I see

my bad

Csargo
02-19-2008, 07:17
Still need info from Kamikhaan and Caius.

Sarathos
02-19-2008, 11:03
Caius should be free, he is probably just researching. But Kamikhaan hasn't been active for awhile now.

Caius
02-19-2008, 19:08
will post it laterz.

seireikhaan
02-19-2008, 23:52
Info on German Army:

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfgarmy.htm

http://www.worldwar1.com/maps/sfga02.gif

http://www.worldwar1.com/maps/sfga01.gif

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWinGermany.htm

In 1914 the regular German Army comprised 25 corps (700,000 men).

The German Navy was the second largest in the world in 1914. It had 17 dreadnoughts, 20 battleships, 5 battlecruisers, 7 modern light cruisers and 18 older cruisers. Germany also had 30 petrol-powered submarines and 10 diesel-powered U-boats, with 17 more under construction.

In 1914 Germany had 246 aircraft and 11 airships.

Caius
02-20-2008, 00:58
The standard unit of infantry in 1914 was the Régiment d'Infantrie (R.I.). Each one was individually numbered, and there were 173 R.I. on the outbreak of war. A typical R.I. was consisted of 70 officers and 3,400 other ranks and was organised into three battalions. In addition to the regimental commander and his staff, the regimental headquarters also included 12 mounted scouts and 120 men in an admin platoon: stretcher-bearers, sappers, armourers, butchers, cooks etc. The R.I. was then split into three battalions, each one organised as follows:

Headquarters
Machine-Gun Platoon
Medical cart plus personnel
Four Companies each of 4 officers and 250 other ranks

The Republic, smarting from losses to the Germans in 1870 and suffering from a low birthrate and small male population conscripted 84% of its male population and established in 1912 the length of service as a conscript of three years. By contrast the German army only conscripted 50% of their population for two years of training. These efforts kept a peacetime army of 700,000 men organized in 173 infantry regiments and 59 of cavalry serving in European (metropolitan) France. . When mobilized with reservists and fully fleshed out this army amounted to 1,100,000 men in the front lines when war was declared on August 3rd, 1914. This outnumbered army was to oppose the 1,750,000 man mobilized German Army.
Four years of war saw 8,660,000 Frenchmen of all backgrounds placed into the blue uniform of the Poilus. The graves of the western front, Gallipoli and salkonia kept 1,390,000 of these men for all time while another four million took home visible life changing wounds. This figure was augmented by the colonial troops of the extended areas of the empire. During the conflict the French army drew 163,000 Senegalese Tiraillieurs from West Africa, at least 200,000 turbaned spahis cavalry and Zouave infantry from North Africa, and no less than 70,000 Southeast Asians from French Indochina. It is estimated that some 40,000 of these colonial troops lost their lives in the fetid trenches of the French homeland.

Lt. Pinard
02-20-2008, 01:43
More info on the italian army and the way the country mobilized back then.

http://www.worldwar1.com/itafront/mobilize.htm
the government organized the mass conscription of over 5 million men which were called into the army. More than half of these men were peasants

Csargo
02-20-2008, 10:43
I think most of everyone's information has been posted. If you want to start sending your orders in you can.

Lt. Pinard
02-20-2008, 16:13
Well How are we running this? do you want us to just PM you with what we want our country to do in response to the ultimatum?

Are we doin the whole pick a, b, or c type deal with each turn?

Caius
02-20-2008, 16:34
I'd like to see a map where we can start to see whats going on.

Lt. Pinard
02-20-2008, 17:21
http://www.greatwarmap.com/

Map offers alot of the cities in Europe and tells you day by day events of the whole war. The borders shown are not of 1914 unfortunately but if you compare with the map on page one of this thread it's fairly easy to figure out.

More info on Italy. Army and Navy the most useful
http://books.google.com/books?id=gWMMAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA384&lpg=PA384&dq=italian+army+1914&source=web&ots=9MTbRimQ96&sig=mt_tzvPtVLRQBXEPfbhcYgaIZRc#PPA383,M1

Italian Army after mobilization had 4 armies.
-w/ 4 army corps in each Army for a total of 12 corps
-Each Army corp had a effective infantry strength of over 50,000 men plus support(artillery, cavalry, engineers etc) and service units.

Can't find an Order of Battle or anything for Italy at the time. So I was wondering if it was ok if I make it up. Cause I know how many Armies and Army corps and divisions they had so I can number/name them myself.

Csargo
02-21-2008, 02:24
Well How are we running this? do you want us to just PM you with what we want our country to do in response to the ultimatum?

Are we doin the whole pick a, b, or c type deal with each turn?

I've said a couple of time how turns will work. You will send whatever you want to do, attack, build trenches, move navies, etc. etc. As long as it is do-able it is fine. Turns will run two weeks in game and probably a week and a half between deadlines.

Can't find an Order of Battle or anything for Italy at the time. So I was wondering if it was ok if I make it up. Cause I know how many Armies and Army corps and divisions they had so I can number/name them myself.

That is fine.

I'd like to see a map where we can start to see whats going on.

There are maps in my first post that show the borders in 1914. You can also request a map and I'll try to find it.

Csargo
02-21-2008, 04:30
Alright change of plans the first turn will how you want to spread out you military units. And any other non-combat things you want put in place.

Sorry for messing everything up. :shame:

Sarathos
02-21-2008, 07:44
Its ok Ichi, just never do it again :whip:

Btw guys, Im finding it really hard to find Romanian troop info. I have everything else in my information post, but I can't find a good site which gives the army sizes, number of armies/brigades/divisions. Anyone with superior researching skills, would you please lend a hand.

CountArach
02-21-2008, 11:33
This (http://www.photius.com/countries/romania/national_security/romania_national_security_the_romanian_army_in~1253.html) is the best I could find with a quick Google check. I shall persevere.

EDIT: I found a great source for many army's Orders of Battle in WWI. Check this thread out:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37721

Scroll down a bit and click the link. Very, very detailed information.

Caius
02-21-2008, 13:44
Its ok Ichi, just never do it again :whip:

Btw guys, Im finding it really hard to find Romanian troop info. I have everything else in my information post, but I can't find a good site which gives the army sizes, number of armies/brigades/divisions. Anyone with superior researching skills, would you please lend a hand.
Why don't you ask edyzmedieval? He is Romanian, he could have info.

Lt. Pinard
02-21-2008, 17:03
Another OOB site for anyone still looking. Doesnt have my Italy on there but is has almost everyone else.
Weird That that have countries like Romania and Indian but not italy

http://orbat.com/site/history/

EDIT: more stats I found

Military might in1914

Nation
Number of aircraft
Number of airships (Zeppelins)
Austria-Hungary
Britain
France
Germany
Russia

Nation
Size of army in 1914
Total number of soldiers who fought during the war.
Austria-Hungary
Belgium
Britain
France
Germany
Italy
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Turkey
United States

shlin28
02-21-2008, 18:39
No Serbia :embarassed:

Sarathos
02-22-2008, 05:48
Thanks guys :2thumbsup:

Csargo
02-22-2008, 06:45
Lt. Pinard if you can't find what you're looking for you are welcome to make it up.

Lt. Pinard
02-22-2008, 18:42
Declaration from The Kingdom of Italy:

Italy formally and publicly gives its support for His Imperial and Royal Majesty Franz Joseph I and his Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Italy official denounces Serbia for its actions against the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Italy formally DECLARES WAR on SERBIA.

King of Italy,
Victor Emmanuel III

DemonArchangel
02-22-2008, 21:52
The United States shall watch this war closely. In the meantime, reservists are being called up for duty. The purpose is unspecified.

CountArach
02-23-2008, 04:03
Message from Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias.
Tsar of Russia
King of Poland
Grand Duke of Finland

Russia would like to reafirm her strongest support for the people of Serbia in this war against the Austrio-Hungarian Empire. We will fight for Serbia's Independence until the last drop of Russian blood is spilt.

Sarathos
02-23-2008, 06:15
Message from Ferdinand I, King of Romania to his Allies

We too shall support Serbia in her war against the oppessive Austrio-Hungarian Empire. Romaina shall side with the power of Russia and fight gallantly to repel this threat and pave our way to a higher evil and stops the tyrany of the cursed German Empire.

Warluster
02-23-2008, 07:14
To add to the words of my fellow Allies I wish to reinstate the support Britain and the British Commonwealth, among them Australia and Canada, will provide Military, Economic and DIplomatic support to Serbia and Serbia's Allies.

I also wish to sour the Italian King's declaration; we will fight you, as Nicholas said, until the last man dies. When we reside in Roma we hope you think over your unwise decision. We have more soldiers, more power, and you join the side who intiated this whole war! We hope your future decisions are the same, to provide us a winning stand.

From King George of Britain,
King of England,
High King of Ireland,
King of Scotland,
Leader of the British Commonwealth and Empire,,

seireikhaan
02-23-2008, 14:37
From Kaiser Wilelm II,
King of Saxony
Emperor of all Germany

The German Empire hereby officially announces its support for Italy and Austria-Hungary. The German Empire shall stand beside its allies against the ambition and aggression of those who would do either harm.

shlin28
02-23-2008, 15:03
The Kingdom of Serbia give thanks to its allies for their support, and calls upon all Slavic nations to aid us in the great war of liberation!

Sarathos
02-24-2008, 05:08
Roma

Where does Roma come into this? The only thing at Roma is a whole heap of nothing.

Warluster
02-24-2008, 08:42
Roma = Rome = Capital of Italy; that's what I thought anyway...:grin3:

Sarathos
02-24-2008, 10:00
Roma = Rome = Capital of Italy; that's what I thought anyway...:grin3:

Not evenn close.

Lt. Pinard
02-25-2008, 23:14
This is how I have set up the Italian army. The number of armies and corps are correct. But I had to make up the numbers for the corps themselves. I was able to find the commander's names for second and third army but not the other 2.

anyways its just an fyi.

First Italian Army
XI Corps
XII Corps
XIII Corps
XIV Corps
Second Italian Army- General Frugoni
XXI Corps
XXII Corps
XXIII Corps
Third Italian Army- Duke Emmanuel Philibert Aosta
XXXI Corps
XXXII Corps
XXXIII Corps
Fourth Italian Army
XLI Corps
XLII Corps

CountArach
02-26-2008, 04:47
Where are the first 10 Corps? :tongue:

Lt. Pinard
02-26-2008, 05:09
lol ya i no.

I skipped those numbers so it would be easier to keep track of what corp was with what army.

just wondering. Are we waiting on PMs from people or a first turn write up.

Csargo
02-26-2008, 06:20
PMs.

Lt. Pinard
03-02-2008, 20:14
Yo what's the deal?

I want to start the killin :hmg:

Csargo
03-02-2008, 20:17
I'm still waiting on a few PMs. I'll put the deadline at Wednesday.

shlin28
03-02-2008, 20:50
I sent my orders right?

Csargo
03-02-2008, 21:30
:yes:

Sarathos
03-03-2008, 00:16
Who's are you waiting for?

Csargo
03-03-2008, 07:56
I have orders from:

Tran
Shlin28
Lt. Pinard
Warluster
Sarathos
DemonArchangel
Caius

Need Orders from:
scottishranger
Ravie
CA

Sarathos
03-03-2008, 08:43
Need Orders from:
kamikhaan
scottishranger
Ravie
CA

:whip:

Ravie
03-03-2008, 13:42
Sorry have been really busy over the weekend... will get orders done tonight or tomorrow ;)

Lt. Pinard
03-03-2008, 21:15
Well I've had alot of time to think about my next turn.

Everything should go as planned with the first turn. So I already have my next set of orders written. It includes a full OPORD w/graphics. I have alot of free time. :laugh3:

shlin28
03-04-2008, 21:47
Well I've had alot of time to think about my next turn.

Everything should go as planned with the first turn. So I already have my next set of orders written. It includes a full OPORD w/graphics. I have alot of free time. :laugh3:

You will definitely need your fancy graphics and thingymajigs, your side seems to be very inactive... perhaps they have seen the error of their ways and now plans to submit to the awsome might of Serbia without fighting!!!

Lt. Pinard
03-04-2008, 22:05
.... probably

seireikhaan
03-04-2008, 22:12
You will definitely need your fancy graphics and thingymajigs, your side seems to be very inactive... perhaps they have seen the error of their ways and now plans to submit to the awsome might of Serbia without fighting!!!

Not inactive...
Merely lurking in the shadows...

Sarathos
03-04-2008, 23:36
So why is everything so quiet?

woad&fangs
03-05-2008, 02:16
So why is everything so quiet?
'Tis merely the calm before the storm.

If someone drops out then give me a PM. I'd be glad to replace them.

Ravie
03-05-2008, 16:26
oki guys my orders will be in tonight. sorry bout the wait

Caius
03-06-2008, 01:04
Please, Ichigo, start. I want to start, and it seems that Ravie will send the PM, but we wont have others PM.

scottishranger
03-06-2008, 02:36

Oh, we are quite ready.

Austria shall have its revenge!

Sarathos
03-06-2008, 03:32
Austria shall have its revenge!
That's if Austria is given time to plan her revenge. A swift and sound beating will come to those who most deserve it, the only question is, when.

Csargo
03-06-2008, 05:30
Still need orders from scottishranger and CA

CountArach
03-06-2008, 10:16
Sorry guys... I've sent it now.

Warluster
03-06-2008, 12:30
The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and the British Commonwealth sends this public message to Tsar Nicholas of All Russias

We're very disappointed you were late in sending orders.

King George of the United Kingdom of;
England
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
British Commonwealth
British Empire

Caius
03-06-2008, 20:26
Ok, that mean we should be starting this war.

scottishranger
03-06-2008, 20:58
Still need orders from scottishranger and CA
I already have sent orders though...

Csargo
03-06-2008, 21:12
I already have sent orders though...

I need where you want to place your troops...

scottishranger
03-06-2008, 21:18
Could I just say that all other soldiers will be placed on the Russian Front?

CountArach
03-06-2008, 21:37
Subtle...

Csargo
03-06-2008, 21:38

That's fine I guess

Sarathos
03-08-2008, 12:33
Go time?

Csargo
03-09-2008, 08:02
Go time?

GOGOGOGOGOGO

Lt. Pinard
03-09-2008, 08:05
WTF? Are we waiting on the 1st chapter from you arent we?

Are you drunk? you fool.

Csargo
03-09-2008, 08:11
WTF? Are we waiting on the 1st chapter from you arent we?

Are you drunk? you fool.

:sweatdrop:

Give me some time

CountArach
03-09-2008, 08:18
:sweatdrop:

Give me some time
To get drunk or what?

Csargo
03-09-2008, 08:25
To get drunk or what?

All of the above.

I've been busy the last couple of days, so I've had no time to write.

Lt. Pinard
03-09-2008, 16:21
Happy Daylight savings!!! One less hour of sleep! YAY! ~:doh:

Sarathos
03-10-2008, 08:40
Happy Daylight savings!!! One less hour of sleep! YAY! ~:doh:

One hour less for Ichigo to recover.

Csargo
03-11-2008, 09:07
I honestly have no idea what to write. Anything I would be able to write would disclose where people have been placing their armies and I don't think that would be fair to the players, but if that is fine with everyone I guess I could do it. I am not really sure what else I could write to make the first chapter... :shame:

CountArach
03-11-2008, 10:43
I honestly have no idea what to write. Anything I would be able to write would disclose where people have been placing their armies and I don't think that would be fair to the players, but if that is fine with everyone I guess I could do it. I am not really sure what else I could write to make the first chapter... :shame:
You could send us PMs about any information we have about enemies deployed on our border. You could also do an introductory chapter.

Sarathos
03-11-2008, 12:41
I honestly have no idea what to write. Anything I would be able to write would disclose where people have been placing their armies and I don't think that would be fair to the players, but if that is fine with everyone I guess I could do it. I am not really sure what else I could write to make the first chapter

Just an Intro Ichi, then let the guns do the rest.

Lt. Pinard
03-11-2008, 15:17
Ya the 1st chapter can be just intro and any info that everyone would be able to get.
Like if a country have started to moblize is forces then that is pretty obvious you can tell the general area that the forces are headed in. You don't have reveal specifics.

Csargo
03-13-2008, 07:17
I'll hopefully have the first chapter up by this weekend. I've got stuff to do tomorrow and Friday so I'll hopefully have time to finish the chapter Saturday or Sunday. At latest Mon.

Csargo
03-16-2008, 14:58
I don't see myself being able to host this game as I would like at this time. I thought I would have a lot of free time, but seems I was wrong:sad: I can't tell you how sorry I am for wasting all your time. I will eventually make a WWI IH when I can host it properly. I think I jumped the gun with this one, and for that I am extremely sorry to everyone who put time and effort into this.

shlin28
03-16-2008, 15:04
:embarassed:

Sarathos
03-17-2008, 00:23
I don't see myself being able to host this game as I would like at this time. I thought I would have a lot of free time, but seems I was wrong I can't tell you how sorry I am for wasting all your time. I will eventually make a WWI IH when I can host it properly. I think I jumped the gun with this one, and for that I am extremely sorry to everyone who put time and effort into this.

Thats ok Ichi, I know the feeling.
Stuff happens all the time, but we all know your game will be worth the wait. :2thumbsup: