PDA

View Full Version : samurai warlords (Clan selection crashes to desktop)

fukari
02-19-2008, 02:52
hi

first timer and i come with a small problem.... i have installed samurai warlords as requested and after i go into the clan screen and select a clan the game goes back to desktop. what i have i done wrong?

Raz
02-19-2008, 10:58
Oh if I had mod powers *hint, hint =D*, I'd move this to here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105). But since I'm not I ask, you are installing it to Medieval: Total War + Viking Invasion patched to the latest version (If you have MTW Gold edition, you don't have to worry about this). Otherwise, it could be your installer is at fault. Has your internet connection cut out during download? That could be the problem - you might have to re-download it. If all else fails, you'll have to wait till the real tech-guys get here. :smug2:

Oh, silly me - Welcome to the org Fukari. :thumbsup:

R'as al Ghul
02-19-2008, 14:29
Hi fukari,

I need to know the language version of your MTW/VI and which version of the mod, beta_5 or beta_8.

fukari
02-20-2008, 00:47
hi

i am from australia and both MTW/VI are purchased copies and i am trying your beta_8 version

thanks
fukari

R'as al Ghul
02-20-2008, 11:26
fukari,

I thought you might have a language version that our mod doesn't support.
But you do have an English version and beta_8. That should work fine.
We didn't have this problem before.
I assume that the game crashes when you select on of the Samurai clans from the Samurai Warlords campaign, right?
I ask because the MTW and VI campaigns (Early, High, Late, Vikings) don't work properly anymore with beta_8 installed.
They might even crash as you describe.
Also, did or do you have any other mod installed on that copy of Medieval?
The reason I ask is because if you have previously installed and uninstalled a mod on that copy, the uninstall routine will have deleted important files.
If another mod is installed parallel to beta_8 it won't work either.

R'as

fukari
02-20-2008, 12:33
hi again

yes it crashes when i select samurai clan - regarding other mod with med/vi - you could be right can not remember. is there anything i can do except get other copies of the med/vi games

thanks
fukari

TosaInu
02-20-2008, 12:46
Hello fukari,

It may be quite possible to restore your install, but that's a tough job. The more there one mod changes this and the other that, near impossible to keep track.

A good practise is to have a clean MTW, and a clean VI install. Then make a Explorer copy (just drag and drop) of the folder you want to try a mod in.
You can use these patches anytime to comply with a mod: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=164 Patch before installing the mod though.

You don't need to buy more copies, actually, one install may insist you deinstall the other first. I have tens of installs from one legal copy like this.

Puzz3D
02-20-2008, 12:58
If one or more files are missing you'll have to reinstall MTW/VI + v2.01 patch. There is also a possibility that your video driver is too new. Check out this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=66713). What video card do you have?

fukari
02-21-2008, 00:20
hi again

i tried a fresh re-install of just MTW/VI without the samurai warlords mod and the same problem occurs - crash to desktop. seems you are correct about the graphics card i am using which is an 8600 gts. thanks everyone for all your help

thanks
fukari

TosaInu
02-21-2008, 01:42
Hello fukari,

It's quite possible that you won't be able to run it then, not the battles anyway. The GF8 series have a problem with MTW and to my knowledge, no-one got it running.

Jochi Khan
02-21-2008, 01:49
I have an FX 7600GT graphics card and it runs all my games with no problems.

TosaInu
02-22-2008, 12:26
Hello Jochi,

The 7600 GT is a very neat card, mine is AGP though and the new mobo is PCI-e.

So I have a GF7950 now. Also a neat card. Not my first choice, but it was the most spicey GF7 available to me. My first choice, a GF8800, would cause trouble with MTW.

Jochi Khan
02-22-2008, 18:11
Hello Tosa

Hello Jochi,

The 7600 GT is a very neat card, mine is AGP though and the new mobo is PCI-e.

Mine is also an AGP card. :2thumbsup:

Nem
02-22-2008, 22:13
If another mod is installed parallel to beta_8 it won't work either.

That would explain why my Samuri SP won't work.

So you can only install 1 mod per install :wall: . If only I'd know this earlier :no:

Maybe you guys should sticky a FAQ with all this info about Samuri Wars

Jochi Khan
02-23-2008, 00:01
Hi Nem

That is why we tell people to have....clean install of MTW/VI/Patch 2.01 then download and install Beta_5 for MP or Beta_8 for SP

I use a separate install for each totalwar game I play (a big harddrive)

TosaInu
02-23-2008, 15:02
Hello Nem,

We say beta5 for MP (as that is more stable) and beta8 for SP. But beta8 can be played online too, of course it makes you incompatible with most/all others and prepare for many out of sync. Beta5 can also be used for SP.

The recommendation should read:

-if you only want SP, install beta8.

-if you want SP and MP, install beta5.
or if you've enough HD space:
- install beta8 for SP and install beta5 for MP.

Puzz3D
02-24-2008, 01:29
I wouldn't use beta5 for SP because beta8 uses the original STW maps with original STW ground textures, new Japanese models on those maps, better castle battles if you get the improved castles I made, better cavalry sprites, fixed archer animation, lower command stars on generals and other improvements.

Beta5 can coexist with vanilla MTW/VI in the same install, and you can swap back on forth between them. Beta8 is an overwrite mod so MTW/VI doesn't work in that install. Both beta5 and beta8 require a vanilla MTW/VI on which to install. Neither mod can be uninstalled.

Info on installing beta8 is stickied at the top of this forum in the Samurai Warlords beta8 thread. I don't know what happened to the info on how to install beta5. Originally there were two zip files that had to be unzipped, but this changed when CBR made an installer for beta5. The link in my sig points to this installer which installs STWmod beta5 for MTW/VI, a stat swapper and the latest unit stats for multiplayer. Due to an oversight on my part which breaks the stat swapper, you need the beta5 add_on as well which also has it's own installer. So, you just download these two files and run them to install the beta5. First install the beta5, and then install the beta5 add_on.

TosaInu
02-24-2008, 12:09
I wouldn't use beta5 for SP because beta8 uses the original STW maps with original STW ground textures, new Japanese models on those maps, better castle battles if you get the improved castles I made, better cavalry sprites, fixed archer animation, lower command stars on generals and other improvements.

Beta8 is recommended for SP indeed. But if you also play MP and don't have room for both installs (that is a fresh VI copy to mod for both), go with beta5.