PDA

View Full Version : EB2 for Empire instead?

Puppyonastik
02-19-2008, 07:47
This may have been asked before, but why not wait a few more months and make EB2 for Empire: Total War? Of course I want to get my hands on an EB2 as much as the next guy, but couldn't it be more beneficial? Especially considering that EB2 may take more than a year to be completed...

I mean, not only is it using a new engine, but more faction slots, naval battles, and hopefully tons better AI, etc. Personally I think it would be a much wiser move to wait for Empire.

What do you all think? :gossip:

General Appo
02-19-2008, 09:04
No way! If they wait for ETW then EB2 won´t come out before like 2020.
Besides, they´ve already begun work on EB2.
Oh, and MTW2 and RTW uses basically the same engine, so as far I understand a lot of things can be ported, or at least re-invented.
MTW2 will definitely do as a base for EB2.

Foot
02-19-2008, 11:03
I think its a great idea with some small problems. We won't be able to reliably mod Empire till at least a year after release, so that major patches can be released and basic research can be done into the entirely new engine. Also the amount of work needed to mod it will be far more than is needed for EBII. Indeed, because it is a new engine it will make it harder to mod, we don't even know how many faction slots will be avaliable (may be less than RTW), naval battles may not be suitable for classical era due to game mechanics, and I have no idea why you think the Ai will be tons better.

Foot

hellenes
02-19-2008, 20:12
ETW is in gunpowder era NOT suited for melee warfare...apart from that the AI of ETW will be coded for gunpowder units and not so much for melee....So no it cant be done...

Sarcasm
02-20-2008, 06:45
Not that I'm supporting having EB2 in the new platform, which I don't, but there was still a ton of melee going on. In fact you might say that it was the last period where it still played a crucial part of the battle.

Also, formations and AI's can be modded in M2TW, so I assume they would have the same thing on the next platform.

Oh and as far as I know, there's boarding and ramming in naval battles. Just for the record.

fahrenheit
02-20-2008, 07:29
Oh and as far as I know, there's boarding and ramming in naval battles. Just for the record.

Sega will probably have it Pirates of the Caribbean style and have the soldiers swing onto the other boats with the rifle in their mouths.:pirate2:

Puppyonastik
02-20-2008, 10:10
Thanks for the replies guys.

From some of the comments made I get a hint that you modders would be unwilling to attempt an EB3 after your second masterpiece is completed. Is this the current feeling amongst you all? Or is that a question that has not been touched upon as of yet? I would love to see a continuation and expansion of EB as newer and "better" platforms emerge with which you can re/create your vision. The knowledge and entertainment gained from EB is priceless in my opinion and I greatly appreciate all the attention to detail and dedication. /endflattery

I have no idea why you think the Ai will be tons better

I said "hopefully" :P

Watchman
02-20-2008, 11:31
Sega will probably have it Pirates of the Caribbean style and have the soldiers swing onto the other boats with the rifle in their mouths.:pirate2:"'Topless Harry', they wrote on his gravestone."
- Jingo by Terry Pratchett ~;p

Sarcasm
02-20-2008, 16:24
Sega will probably have it Pirates of the Caribbean style and have the soldiers swing onto the other boats with the rifle in their mouths.:pirate2:

It's common knowledge that all pirates had great teeth. Never seen Captain Blood with Errol Flynn? I mean, look at those pearly whites.

Jolt
02-20-2008, 18:12
It's common knowledge that all pirates had great teeth. Never seen Captain Blood with Errol Flynn? I mean, look at those pearly whites.

Well, we can't blame them for eating healthy food everyday and brushing their teeth 3 times a day.

blacksnail
02-22-2008, 20:21
From some of the comments made I get a hint that you modders would be unwilling to attempt an EB3 after your second masterpiece is completed. Is this the current feeling amongst you all?
We're still trying to figure out how to make EB2 work. Speculating beyond that is just a little bit premature. ~:)

Puppyonastik
02-23-2008, 11:35
Thank you for the reply. :) Good luck on your endeavor.