PDA

View Full Version : Replays from Sunday

Nem
02-19-2008, 22:26
Hi All,

Can some kind person send me the replays from Sunday.

Thx to Tosa, CBR, Jochi, King George, Tomi, Balamir and Marcus for the game.

It must just be my faulting memory but units seem to rally faster and more often than in VI. I seem to remember that back in the old days routing units in VI had more "chain rout" effect than routing units in Samuri Mod.

Also it now seems possible to disengage Cav without it routing which was a big flaw in VI.

I don't feel that fatigue is to high as units seem to rally more often.

The only negative thing is the Teppo range. With the over fire they have range increases to about 130 -140 mts, which makes cav disruption tactics hard and so gives fatigue more impact making heavy units less desireable.

Overall though balance is excellent and it's a pleasure to play

Excruciatingly enjoyable stuff :yes:

P.S. Where do you get the Samuri Warlords sig from?

Jochi Khan
02-20-2008, 00:01
Hi Nem

Glad you enjoyed yourself Sunday. :yes:

I can put the six games played in a zip file for you. PM me your email addy.
(I'll have to work out how to upload battle replays)

R'as al Ghul
02-20-2008, 13:14
The only negative thing is the Teppo range. With the over fire they have range increases to about 130 -140 mts, which makes cav disruption tactics hard and so gives fatigue more impact making heavy units less desireable.
Overall though balance is excellent and it's a pleasure to play
Excruciatingly enjoyable stuff :yes:

P.S. Where do you get the Samuri Warlords sig from?

Hi Nem,

glad you like the game. I hope to meet you on the field next Sunday.
The backkills caused by teppo units can be a real pain, but it depends on the terrain how much your infantry is hit by those backkills.
With a height advantage you're shooting down at the enemy and that way you won't cause much backkills. When shooting up at the enemy you may even cause backkills on the reverse slope of the hill you're attacking. On flat terrain it depends but the range is indeed higher, although not as deadly and accurate, afaik.

I've made our Samurai warlords signature. If you like you're welcome to use it.

R'as

Puzz3D
02-20-2008, 14:34
Can some kind person send me the replays from Sunday.
I'll post all of the replays from the last few weeks in a package.

It must just be my faulting memory but units seem to rally faster and more often than in VI. I seem to remember that back in the old days routing units in VI had more "chain rout" effect than routing units in Samuri Mod.

As I recall a 10k VI game would often have V2 CMAA (morale 8) and V3 FMAA (morale 8). The V0 cav knights had morale 8, and a V1 Feudal Knight had morale 10. Some of the light cav such as V2 steppe cav had morale 4. The Szekely was a popular light cav unit, and has morale 4 at V0. I don't remember how much it was typically upgraded. The spears were most often used at morale 4 which means rout city because the battle system is very sensitive to morale. Below morale 6, units in melee will rout at more than half strength, and units over morale 10 will fight to nearly the last man.

These are the morale levels for the units in Samurai Wars:

Portugese Teppo: 0
Japanese Teppo: 0
Samurai Archers: 4
Yari Ashigaru: 4
Yari Samurai: 6
Yari Cavalry: 6
Cavalry Archer: 6
Naginata: 8
Hatamoto: 8
Heavy Cavalry: 8
Naginata Cavalry: 8
No-dachi: 10
Warrior Monk: 10
Ninja: 10

Based on multiplayer feedback and analysis of battles we've given each unit the minimum morale necessary for it to perform its intended function. As recently as the 10b stats several of the units (YA, NI and CA) had less morale than they have in 11b, and we found that they weren't being used by players because they routed too easily.

The heavier cav, HC and NC, moves slower than the YC, but it has higher morale which gives it the capability of charging guns. The YC isn't intended for that as it's more of a flanker and anti-cav unit.

The range of teppo is the same as in STW v1.12, and the back kill range is about half again beyond that which is also the same as in STW v1.12. This sets up the game dynamic where infantry, which moves at half the speed of cav, can be placed in close enough proximity to defend the teppo from cav attack provided that the player sees the cav start their charge. The back kill range of teppo requires that teppo be placed well out in front of the melee units which exposes them to cav attack. Cav can approach teppo to 100 meters without being shot as long as it's not placed behind another unt that is being shot. I saw the consequence of reducing the back kill range in STW/MI v1.02, and I don't think it enhanced the gameplay since players could keep their melee units very close behind their guns which made cav attacks on guns nearly impossible.

Nem
02-20-2008, 22:38
Based on multiplayer feedback and analysis of battles we've given each unit the minimum morale necessary for it to perform its intended function. As recently as the 10b stats several of the units (YA, NI and CA) had less morale than they have in 11b, and we found that they weren't being used by players because they routed too easily.

Unit morale stats seem spot on, nice work. I have only seen Ninja used in 1 replay so maybe some changes are needed with this unit to make it more desireable, whats everyones thoughts on this unit. Maybe someone who has used this unit could give me some feedback on performance.

I saw the consequence of reducing the back kill range in STW/MI v1.02, and I don't think it enhanced the gameplay since players could keep their melee units very close behind their guns which made cav attacks on guns nearly impossible

Totally agree this would be a gameplay killer

The range of teppo is the same as in STW v1.12, and the back kill range is about half again beyond that which is also the same as in STW v1.12. This sets up the game dynamic where infantry, which moves at half the speed of cav, can be placed in close enough proximity to defend the teppo from cav attack provided that the player sees the cav start their charge. The back kill range of teppo requires that teppo be placed well out in front of the melee units which exposes them to cav attack. Cav can approach teppo to 100 meters without being shot as long as it's not placed behind another unt that is being shot.

This would explain why I see gaps between allies armies in teamgames unlike in VI were this was considered a no-no

With a height advantage you're shooting down at the enemy and that way you won't cause much backkills. When shooting up at the enemy you may even cause backkills on the reverse slope of the hill you're attacking. On flat terrain it depends but the range is indeed higher, although not as deadly and accurate, afaik.

Thanks for the tip R'as it's one I will be sure to remember

I've made our Samurai warlords signature. If you like you're welcome to use it.

Thanks mate

I cant seem to get the SP side to work so I've only played 1 game of Samuri. Hopefully I should get up to speed fairly quick over the coming months and be able to give you all a good game.

Cheers lads

Puzz3D
02-21-2008, 22:36
I cant seem to get the SP side to work so I've only played 1 game of Samuri.
If you have a vanilla MTW/VI installed you can make a copy of that and then install Sam Wars beta8 on that. The beta8 has exactly the same unit stats as beta5, so it might be worth a try.

Hopefully I should get up to speed fairly quick over the coming months and be able to give you all a good game.
It won't take you that long. :duel: