PDA

View Full Version : Spartiatai

Klearchos
02-23-2008, 18:48
Hail

I) I read somewhere that near Sparte there is a tomb of a romanized spartan officer. On the tomb the figure wears a "lorica segmentata" armor and carries a roman "scutum" shield , but also bears some local spartan equipment such as a "pilos" helmet and a club. The latter would most likely be a ceremonial weapon, which implies the spartan ancestry to Herakles.( Although the club has been introduced to romans as a weapon by German mercenaries.) Do you plan to allow the romans to train such troops when they conquer Sparte and generally to recruit romanized local soldiers when they conquer specific regions?

II) The Spartans fought in the battle of Sellasia (222 B.C.) against Antigonos and strangely they didn't use the traditional hoplitai formations but they fought in the Makedonian fashion using sarissai. Will such units be availabe for the Koinon Hellenon?

abou
02-23-2008, 19:57
II) The Spartans fought in the battle of Sellasia (222 B.C.) against Antigonos and strangely they didn't use the traditional hoplitai formations but they fought in the Makedonian fashion using sarissai. Will such units be availabe for the Koinon Hellenon?
Already available in EB I as the Koinon phalangites.

General Appo
02-23-2008, 22:28
[QUOTE=Klearchos]
I read somewhere that near Sparte there is a tomb of a romanized spartan officer. On the tomb the figure wears a "lorica segmentata" armor and carries a roman "scutum" shield , but also bears some local spartan equipment such as a "pilos" helmet and a club. The latter would most likely be a ceremonial weapon, which implies the spartan ancestry to Herakles.( Although the club has been introduced to romans as a weapon by German mercenaries.) Do you plan to allow the romans to train such troops when they conquer Sparte and generally to recruit romanized local soldiers when they conquer specific regions?QUOTE]

Just because a Roman officer wanted to be buried with a couple of Spartan things doesn´t mean it was widely used. The Spartans did have quite a reputation after all, and this office most likely just liked them and though they were generally cool, and so wanted to have one of their helmets in his grave.

Watchman
02-24-2008, 02:31
I recall reading some Roman bigwig (a Sparta fanboy, natch) up and raised a legion from Sparta, naturally kitted them out with Roman war gear, and armed them with clubs for the whole Herakles connection thingy. This is probably the same bunch, as I'm pretty sure the entry referred to a grave stele a lot like the OP describes.
*shrug*
Rich men have strange hobbies. Don't remember what happened to the unit, but in any case as the presence of the LS rather strongly suggests it was rather out of the EB timeframe anyway.

russia almighty
03-04-2008, 22:15
Rich people and their eccentricities are great. Wasn't Sparta also a Roman vacation spot, and Romans would come and watch Spartans do their thing?

Also didn't Severus raise Phalangists from Macedon?

antisocialmunky
03-04-2008, 22:29
I wouldn't mind going to see hot naked women excercise.

Ibrahim
03-05-2008, 01:23
yeeeaaaaaaaah!!! bring the women in (just kiddin)

speaking of which, how will they make the shield pattern for the spartiatai identical?-that is all lambda's? or did they revert to usage of individual heraldic (yeah I know-no better word) markings?

Mr Frost
03-05-2008, 12:00
... Romans would come and watch Spartans do their thing...
Ancient Spartan traditions are still quite popular I'm told .
https://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii104/MrFrostPartDux/Spartapride.jpg

General Appo
03-05-2008, 13:15
:laugh4: :laugh4: Funniest thing all day.

keravnos
03-06-2008, 21:33
Hail

I) I read somewhere that near Sparte there is a tomb of a romanized spartan officer. On the tomb the figure wears a "lorica segmentata" armor and carries a roman "scutum" shield , but also bears some local spartan equipment such as a "pilos" helmet and a club. The latter would most likely be a ceremonial weapon, which implies the spartan ancestry to Herakles.( Although the club has been introduced to romans as a weapon by German mercenaries.) Do you plan to allow the romans to train such troops when they conquer Sparte and generally to recruit romanized local soldiers when they conquer specific regions?

That spartan you speak of, was recruited and fought at 200 CE, much after the time of EB. So, it really can't be done.