PDA

View Full Version : Number of provinces

PBI
02-29-2008, 15:19
I had assumed that the campaign map of Europe would be roughly the same size as the M2TW one, with a similar number of provinces.

However, it occurs to me that there is a huge amount of land being added to the map: the Indian subcontinent, North and South America, and Southern Africa and South East Asia (I think). If these areas all have roughly the same density of provinces as Europe, the campaign map will be absolutely huge.

I wonder which way it will go; whether they will have an enormous campaign map with many hundreds of settlements, or whether the map of Europe will be simplified somewhat to give a reasonable length of campaign.

I guess the first could work if the game can be won with only a relatively limited number of settlements. This is the way I am hoping the game goes; that the key to victory will not be to amass a huge empire per se, but instead to gain enough income from them to be able to defeat the other European powers.

rajpoot
02-29-2008, 16:43
I believe that they'll be putting in relatively more number of settlements in Europe , i.e density, than the other parts. Because Europe was afterall quite crammed when compared to colonies. In India proper for example, there were a few main command points, like Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay and Madras, called presidencies.

Rhyfelwyr
02-29-2008, 16:50
IIRC I heard something about forming colonies, I'm not sure if this will be done by taking over settlements or something more along the lines of the current fort-building system.

For the sake of not making the game too demanding on PC's, I'm sure the number of provinces will be limited somewhat. I expect there will not be that many settlements in the colonial lands, and the number in Europe might be slightly less than the number currently in M2TW.

Remember we will have all (or some?) of the buildings built in settlements represented on the campaign map, so CA will not want to make Europe overcrowded.

pevergreen
03-01-2008, 10:56
I honestly have no idea which way it will go.

I have a feeling around 300.

Herkus
03-01-2008, 12:23
400 in my opinion would be reasoable option since they are going include whole Europe, Americas, Middle East, India, Africa (?).

PBI
03-01-2008, 12:56
For the sake of not making the game too demanding on PC's, I'm sure the number of provinces will be limited somewhat. I expect there will not be that many settlements in the colonial lands, and the number in Europe might be slightly less than the number currently in M2TW.

Is the campaign map really that demanding? I always got the impression that the real number crunching went on on the battlemap. Broken Crescent has about 200 provinces and that seems to run fine for me. Although, I had forgotten that the buildings will all be represented on the campaign map so I suppose the ETW map will be considerably busier than the M2TW map.

I sincerely hope that both Europe and the rest of the world have enough stuff (settlements, buildings, regions etc) in them to do them justice; it would be disappointing if conquering an empire were too easy or quick. It is Empire Total War after all, so most of the action should happen overseas.

rajpoot
03-01-2008, 13:55
Or maybe the can just cut up the map. You know, make each part nice and detailed. Give a common mini map for the whole world, and show the actual map in pieces and not all togather, with some option to switch from one piece to another........
The divisions ofcourse can be done best, I believe, by continents, like a section for Africa, one for Asia and so on......

Rhyfelwyr
03-02-2008, 17:03
Is the campaign map really that demanding? I always got the impression that the real number crunching went on on the battlemap. Broken Crescent has about 200 provinces and that seems to run fine for me. Although, I had forgotten that the buildings will all be represented on the campaign map so I suppose the ETW map will be considerably busier than the M2TW map.

I sincerely hope that both Europe and the rest of the world have enough stuff (settlements, buildings, regions etc) in them to do them justice; it would be disappointing if conquering an empire were too easy or quick. It is Empire Total War after all, so most of the action should happen overseas.

Well IIRC the reason the number of provinces in RTW was limited to 200 was to prevent mods becoming too demanding on peoples' PC's, considering the system requirements they gave.

PBI
03-02-2008, 22:13
I had no idea the campaign map was so demanding on the system. I had assumed the number of provinces was limited just in order to keep the grand campaign a reasonable length. Although, I still don't really understand what it is that the computer is doing on the campaign map that requires so much resources.

I do like the multiple campaign maps idea; I seem to remember in one of the FAQS a question about how sailing ships from Europe to India will be handled, since Southern Africa won't be on the map. CA were rather coy about how they plan to do it, but I guess this would be one possibility.

Caius
03-03-2008, 00:56
I'd like to see more balancing in the regions.

I mean, I do not want to see 200 regions in Europe, but 3 in North America. I know its exaggerated. But you get my point, right?

Raz
03-03-2008, 07:46
If there aren't enough provinces, they'll always be a mod to increase them. =D

HoreTore
03-04-2008, 14:38
I believe that they'll be putting in relatively more number of settlements in Europe , i.e density, than the other parts. Because Europe was afterall quite crammed when compared to colonies. In India proper for example, there were a few main command points, like Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay and Madras, called presidencies.

That's the way it's been in all TW games so far...

Take M2TW, the enourmous russian steppes are made up of roughly the same number of provinces as north italy... And RTW had a dozen provinces in Greece, in M2TW it was reduced to just a few...

I'm hoping for an EU3-like number of provinces though, where it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to conquer more than a tenth of the map by the end of the game...

harifaz
04-16-2008, 09:53
Or maybe the can just cut up the map. You know, make each part nice and detailed. Give a common mini map for the whole world, and show the actual map in pieces and not all togather, with some option to switch from one piece to another........
The divisions ofcourse can be done best, I believe, by continents, like a section for Africa, one for Asia and so on......

I totally agree and technically there was several colonies and civilized countries outside the narrow suggested area of ETW.just look up this old map of the world and tell me how to conquer the world without a realistic campaign (size wise ) :
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/shepherd_1911/shepherd-c-107-110.jpg

aftzengeier
04-20-2008, 21:56
Didn't they say that there won't be any provinces? oO I think I've read something like that! I mean that they make it possible to create your own borders by convention?! :stupido:

Cartaphilus
05-06-2008, 22:13

And the same for South America - the great "virreinos".

Europe was the main battlefield for that age, and was far more populated. So it will be more cities and provinces (if they keep the province's system) in Europe than in Africa or Asia, of lesser importancy, or even America, more colonized than the other continents.