Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirated Europa Barbarorum

Default Pirated Europa Barbarorum

Guess what, guys? There are people in Malaysia who've downloaded EB 1.1, burned it into a disc, and are selling it at pirated CD stores in Johor Bahru for 30 ringgit (15 Singapore dollars, which is about 9-10 US) under the name of 'EB 2.0'. One of my students went to Malaysia during the holidays and spotted it at the roadside beside The Sims 7, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Halo 4... o.O

Behind, it claimed 'whole new game play! tons of new units! Never seen before action!'

Imagine, selling a free game for profit.

And by the way, nowhere did it mention that RTW was needed for the game to run.

Wonder if the team ever expected that this day would come?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Pirated Europa Barbarorum

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi View Post
    Guess what, guys? There are people in Malaysia who've downloaded EB 1.1, burned it into a disc, and are selling it at pirated CD stores in Johor Bahru for 30 ringgit (15 Singapore dollars, which is about 9-10 US) under the name of 'EB 2.0'. One of my students went to Malaysia during the holidays and spotted it at the roadside beside The Sims 7, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Halo 4... o.O

Behind, it claimed 'whole new game play! tons of new units! Never seen before action!'

Imagine, selling a free game for profit.

And by the way, nowhere did it mention that RTW was needed for the game to run.

Wonder if the team ever expected that this day would come?
    I did...
    in Kuwait, you found norton antivirus going for 3$, word and office for 2$, and all sorts of other CD's, all under 15$. my brother got an American conquest CD for 2 1/2$; in the markets, they sold for ~52.5$. they had a full black market of this stuff. conclusion: in Kuwait, all games get pirated; why should be different in Malaysia?
    wonder if EB is sold in Kuwait too..
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Thing is, in Kuwait, expensive games get sold cheap. In Malaysia, free games get sold expensive. :D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Is it possible to sue? I mean it's a free game, and its in another country.

But yeah, as a friend of mine would say "That's a bunch of balls".

Content © Europa Barbarorum. All rights reserved. Software ©2002-2005 The Creative Assembly Limited. Total War, Rome: Total War, Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion and the Total War logo are trade marks or registered trade marks of The Creative Assembly in the United Kingdom, European Community, United States and/or other countries. All rights reserved.
    '
    Does this mean that EB is copyrighted too or just Rome total war?
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 06-24-2008 at 07:30.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

i believe you can sue, as its breach of license, and theft of your intellectual property.

the license being freeware, which means it cannot besold.

assuming you put THIS IS FREEWARE on your terms of use.

and if you dont win, ill be happy to present my services of trained muscleman to teach these rookies a lesson in international piracy laws.

Edit: this shit just grinds my gears. its one thing to steal some game and pirate it for money, but when you take the hard work of individuals who never expected payment for such stellar work, and you turn around slap em in the face and sell it for profit. damn... just damn.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 06-24-2008 at 07:41. Reason: damn...
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

That's hilarious. I may be one of the only other people on here who has seen those Malaysian software stores and I can imagine it. I'd love to see what their packaging looks like though. I hope you are kidding about Halo 4 and Sims 7 being sold - it would be funny to see who is actually dumb enough to buy them.

note: There is no way we can do even the remotest thing about this though. Those places are shut down constantly and reopen next door. There is no reason to lose any sleep over it when absolutely nothing can be done about it.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 06-24-2008 at 07:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    i believe you can sue, as its breach of license, and theft of your intellectual property.

the license being freeware, which means it cannot be sold.

assuming you put THIS IS FREEWARE on your terms of use.

and if you dont win, ill be happy to present my services of trained muscleman to teach these rookies a lesson in international piracy laws.

Edit: this shit just grinds my gears. its one thing to steal some game and pirate it for money, but when you take the hard work of individuals who never expected payment for such stellar work, and you turn around slap em in the face and sell it for profit. damn... just damn.
    Yeah this is really retarded, yet somewhat..terribly...hilarious
    These people deserve to be ruined financially, and by financially I mean..well you get the idea, and so do the idiots who buy it :)

Also, props for saying "grinds my gears" shoelaces, pennies, and Donald Trump haytahs(haters)., grind mine too.
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 06-24-2008 at 07:46.
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

well you are right in the fact you cant stop it, but you know you can still get a few of the buggers. sure a few DIFFERENT guys will pop up later, but you can still take it to a personal level, and destroy atleast 2 or 3 of the guys.

i think the EB team should look into this, and if theres anyone in this community to happens to live in that part of the world, they should keep their eyes open for it, get some info on the ones doing it, and then perhaps you can bring a couple of the guys in.

by no means is this a final solution (my god i sound like hitler ) to the problem but you can still take a few of them out.

think of it like a hydra, sure the heads will grow back, but you can still hurt em badly. and id rather go down fighting then sit down, bend over and take it in the rear.

to Olaf the Great: hahaha i hate pennies too man!
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 06-24-2008 at 07:51. Reason: your mom was hangin off my schlong
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

well you are right in the fact you cant stop it, but you know you can still get a few of the buggers. sure a few DIFFERENT guys will pop up later, but you can still take it to a personal level, and destroy atleast 2 or 3 of the guys.

i think the EB team should look into this, and if theres anyone in this community to happens to live in that part of the world, they should keep their eyes open for it, get some info on the ones doing it, and then perhaps you can bring a couple of the guys in.

by no means is this a final solution (my god i sound like hitler ) to the problem but you can still take a few of them out.

think of it like a hydra, sure the heads will grow back, but you can still hurt em badly. and id rather go down fighting then sit down, bend over and take it in the rear.

to Olaf the Great: hahaha i hate pennies too man!
    Look up "Know what's bullshit" and "Angry video game nerd" on youtube.

~Fluvius

seen em
    hahahahaha did you see the one where hes trying to fly that top gun game, and he cant get passed the second level because landing on an aircraft carrier is harder in-game than in reallife?
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

seen em
    hahahahaha did you see the one where hes trying to fly that top gun game, and he cant get passed the second level because landing on an aircraft carrier is harder in-game than in reallife?
    I saw ALL OF THEM. Even the recent ones from a week ago(the Caleco vision's AC adapter...oh my)

~Fluvius

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great View Post
    I saw ALL OF THEM. Even the recent ones from a week ago(the Caleco vision's AC adapter...oh my)
    AC adapter? the AVGN website says Star trek games were last.. unless.. you were talking about the double feature of those 2 Atari alternatives, Coleoco vision, and intellivision-now they were hilarious (Beeeey-17eeeeeeyn bowmerrr). http://cinemassacre.com/AVGN/Nes_Nerd_videos.html

hey, did you see the war between AVGN and the nostalgia critic? its in the news section of his website-youll love it.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Ahem. Pez, you live not too far from this store don´t you? Then I must kindly ask you, as one member of the EBF Council of Ten to another, WHY THE FU*K HAVN´T YOU KILLLED THESE MOTHERFU*KERS!!!???!!??

I don´t care how you do it, just hurt them!

Yeah, I like this one, this is what you should do to them:
    Last edited by General Appo; 06-24-2008 at 10:36.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Only 9 - 10 dollars?

Swéét!

It's way cheaper than when I bought it!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    I hope you are kidding about Halo 4 and Sims 7 being sold - it would be funny to see who is actually dumb enough to buy them.

note: There is no way we can do even the remotest thing about this though. Those places are shut down constantly and reopen next door. There is no reason to lose any sleep over it when absolutely nothing can be done about it.
    Okay so a couple things. I am pretty sure that Sims 7 is really the 5th expansion pack (Bon Voyage) of Sims 2, and Halo 4 is really Halo 3 plus the first map expansion pack. Kind of silly, but you got to say new and improve some how. I remember when I was in Argentina 4 years ago they were claiming to be playing Age of Empires III, when it hadn't even come out yet. Turns out they thought Age of Mythology was suppose to be part of the series and were counting it. Not justifying the practice just saying there is some reasonin the madness to look for .

Next your attitude TA towards this seems a little more realistic then the guys who are asking for the balls of these sellers on a silver platter. As much of a pushover as it will make me sound there ain't squat that can be done legally. If something could be done about these pirates you would think multibillion dollar companies like Sony would be able to stop blackmarket DVDs reaching the streets of Hong Kong. And you guys some how expect mighty EB (no direspect to your legal department (is there even a legal department?)) to crush these people with the long arm of the law? I am not saying its right people, it isn't, I'm just sayng it's a sign of the times.

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

you guys should just consider it a homage
    Last edited by Nobo; 06-24-2008 at 11:29.

Default AW: Re: Pirated Europa Barbarorum

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi View Post
    Thing is, in Kuwait, expensive games get sold cheap. In Malaysia, free games get sold expensive.
    That's the reason behind people saying SE Asia will be the powerhouse of the future, and not SW Asia.

But those guys might as well sell an empty CD, because it won't do a thing unless proper installed under RTW.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Only 9 - 10 dollars?

Swéét!

It's way cheaper than when I bought it!
    I got my old EB copy for $8. That was 0.81, however, which you can get for less than $3 nowadays.

Don't interpret me in the wrong way, but if these guys have wasted their time packaging a mod like EB and are sell it, I can only mean they deem the content is worthy of value, which is always good to know.

As for the legal issues, they are totally in the hands of CA, since they have all the legal rights. EB is a free content and doesn't work by itself: it always needs the original game. As such, in practice, these guys are actually pirating the original game and distributing EB along with it. So, the only entity that can legally persecute them is CA.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

There's even nothing about it in the License Agreement. The only thing these pirates are doing is promoting the reading of more history.

Seriously...if anyone can prove that EB is being sold in Malaysia as Pez says, I might bloody give them an EB tshirt.

And yes as Teleklos says, no need to lose sleep over it. Not much can be done.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

WOW. Thats really shitty.

King of Kings Member Ozymandias the Great's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Pirated Europa Barbarorum

Let's speak about copyright law for a moment. *puts on lawyer pants* In the U.S., there is an automatic copyright, which means, if you make something, it's copyrighted. However, if you plan to take it to court, you have to register the copyright with the government. Now, there are 6 rights associated with copyright. By making EB a free download, you grant the downloader the right to play the game as much as they want. However, because you don't specifically release the other 5 rights, I believe (I'm not sure) that even though you didn't say "Thou shalt not copy and sell", it is illegal to copy and sell EB and thereby transfer the rights to others. I learned this in my electronic music class, not law school, so I can't say this is exactly right, but it's the information I have.
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" ~Ozymandias, by Percy Bysshe Shelley

I say more power to them! If they are crafty enough to make ppl pay good money for a game that is given away for free then they deserve it. Stupid people must be exploited at all times.

edit: Just wanted to mention that I too have visited these places in Malaysia as well as in Thailand.
    Last edited by Hegix; 06-24-2008 at 15:49.

People still buy software in those parts?

Ayce deserves a balloon.

This space intentionally left blank.

But yeah, I want to see the packaging :)

~Fluvius

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

I've never laughed so hard in my life. Seriously. I don't know what's more stupid, that the pirates think they are being clever, or that there are stupid individuals who buy software otherwise marketed under a free license.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

How many computers do exist in Malasia? It'd be cool for a tourist to buy a pirated game in Malasia, that game get discovered in the check-in and the guy get sent into a Malasian prison for 3 years for buying EB 2 :D
    BLARGH!

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Frankly guys, it's free anyway. While they're selling CA property if they include RTW (HINT HINT!) it's not worth you chasing them. Frst, you can't prove that you made it, seeing as your acount is not vbound to your identity, and all that's happening is some poor guy is making a bit of money with your help. Other freeware gets sold fully legally under GNU2 and so there is a good legal defense (at least over here in the UK) and really, you shoulddjust feel flattered
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast