Thread: Forum Rules

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Exclamation Forum Rules

Since the current state of affairs in this forum indicates that most of the members haven't took the time to read the Org rules before posting, here's a quick reference to them.

Forum Rules, from the .Org FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by therother View Post
    Forum Rules

This is The Guild, the discussion forum for the Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War & Rome: Total War fan site www.totalwar.org.

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of The Guild or any entity associated with The Guild. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact the Moderator(s) of the pertinent forum by using the Report Bad Post facility (there is a link in the bottom left hand corner of each post).

The Staff have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is warranted. This is a manual process, however, so please realise that we may not be able to remove messages immediately. The Staff has also the ability to edit messages by users. When this is deemed necessary, the Staff will make every effort to highlight any edit, as this avoids misunderstandings as to the author of any given text. However, if the content of a post or topic is determined to be predominantly objectionable, it will be deleted instead.

Examples of objectionable messages include (but are not limited to):

• Posts containing addresses of warez sites or anything piracy-related: note that this includes "hacks" designed to enable Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War and Rome: Total War to run without a CD. The administration is aware of the fact that some use a "no-CD hack" for the purpose of enhancing their system performance, but we feel that the possible illegal benefits from these hacks outweigh all other considerations. Such hacks also require reverse engineering of the game, and this is in violation of the End User Licence Agreement. Anything pertaining to software piracy in general is highly discouraged.
    • Posts containing information on and/or requests for the Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War or Rome: Total War CD key codes: if you have lost your CD key, you should contact Electronic Arts or Activision Customer Support. Anyone asking for a CD key here will be assumed to be trying to deny the developers rightful compensation for their work.
    • Posts concerning, or asking about, technical specifications for multiplayer cheating. Cheating in the single-player game is a private matter for each user, but cheating in the multiplayer game detracts from everyone's enjoyment, and from the gaming community as a whole.
    • Posts containing names of people suspected of cheating in the multiplayer game. This clause has been much debated; its purpose is to avoid fruitless controversy. No conclusive proof on anyone cheating in the multiplayer game can be obtained or presented. Therefore, the Staff and the majority of the patrons (approximately 70% voted in favour) feel that it is for the best to avoid making accusations; even if truthful, their inconclusiveness will probably lead to "flame wars" which are inconvenient to the forum and every member. Keeping of private "cheater blacklists" is allowed, indeed encouraged, but The Guild does not wish to be a medium for this. (Note: in the case of "name posting", the staff will often edit out the name rather than deleting the entire message.)
    • Posts containing "spam", such as advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations. Recommending a game you like is not wrong, as long as you are not trying to sell it. User accounts created exclusively for the purpose of posting inconsequential advertisements will be unceremoniously banned.
    • Posts containing any generally objectionable material: knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Posting of copyrighted material, unless the copyright is owned by you or by The Guild, is discouraged. The Guild expects its patrons to remain civil even in the face of disagreements. Any kind of "flaming", slurs, or insults -- addressed to either an individual or a group -- is extremely inappropriate. Please respect etiquette at all times.

Separate forums exist for the purpose of grouping the messages by their primary topic. Please see the Synopsis of the Guild Forums for a rundown of current forums, which a description of each. Care should be taken to post messages only in the forum meant for that type of content. The Staff makes every attempt to keep topics in their correct forums. Topics posted in an inappropriate forum will usually be moved to the appropriate forum (usually with a redirect left in the original forum and a message explaining the transfer), where the discussion can continue. Please note that the supposed inactivity of some forums compared to others is not an excuse to post messages in the wrong place.

Although The Guild does not and cannot review all messages posted, and is not responsible for the content of any message, we at The Guild reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Guild, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at The Guild also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
    These other posts, while not being a set of mandatory rules by which you have to submit by the sole fact that you post on this forum, are nevertheless useful principles and rules of behaviour that you should consider before posting.

Khelvan's post, february 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelvan
    Europa Barbarorum, as a mod team, has existed for over two years, running on three now. The team members have put a lot into this mod - their time, sweat...battled through illness (at least three members were diagnosed with one form of cancer or another, including myself), and tragic loss of loved ones. A lot of stress and emotions were poured out as positive energy into this labor of love. We don't get paid for it, and we don't have any expectations that this would ever happen. We do it because we want to see the best representation of this ancient time period available to all, including but not exclusively ourselves.

We're human. We are emotionally invested in our mod. We have always welcomed scholarly debate, but we have always rejected aggressive tones or criticism which is not constructive, regardless of the merit of the argument. As we have put more of ourselves in our mod and had less time in our personal lives to devote to it, we have become less patient with those people who would take issue with us in a manner that is not constructive.

So my request is: If you have an issue with our mod, present it nicely. Don't take the attitude that "you're absolutely wrong" or "there is not a shred of evidence to support your position" or any such demonstrative statements. Approach the discussion openly, sources in hand, but willing to listen. If you present sources and ask for open debate, you will get it. If you present your position in the light that there is absolutely nothing to support the opposite position, you will be presented with a mirror of that argument, with additional rancor for having presented yourself that way. If you don't like our skins, suggest how to improve them rather than simply say they're ugly. If you simply call our skins ugly, you will get an ugly response.

In very basic communications classes they will teach you to always consider your audience. If you present an historical argument with sources to the EB team with the goal of helping us change our minds, by beginning your discussion with the attitude that you are absolutely right and we are absolutely wrong is completely counterproductive to your goal. We don't squelch dissentors, we get pissed off at arrogance. There is a very real difference there, and perhaps if we were being paid for this we could afford to be completely aloof and detached and "turn the other cheek." But we're not - we're emotional volunteers who ask only one thing of the people who enjoy playing this mod: To present whatever information, argument, or criticism you have with respect. You don't have to agree, but if you want to have your argument evaluated objectively, you will need to present it objectively.

Finally, we have always encouraged people to disagree with us, given the caveat above. Spouting long diatribes about how bad we are because we don't listen to people is, first of all, completely baseless because we love to be presented with evidence, and second, completely useless because we won't bother to listen; the person making the argument simply doesn't understand us, so why would we bother to attempt to reason with them?

So, please remember the following in your communication to us:

- Present your arguments as presenting evidence, not truth
    - Keep in mind that we are completely open to opposing views, but closed to arrogance in presenting said views
    - Separate in your mind us shutting off arrogance as opposed to opposing views
    - Keep in mind that we are a mod team and our focus is on completing work, not debating; where evidence is open to interpretation, and we interpret it one way, we will likely not change our minds unless brand new evidence is presented
    - We're human, we don't get paid for this, and we react badly to both the attitudes I discuss above and people who seem to enjoy nothing more than finding reasons to criticize us

I, for one, wish I were a better person and could simply ignore the attitudes and attacks that are sometimes made here. It would be great to be completely professional in all things (striving to be more like I am in my "real" job), but the truth is that I come here to avoid the stress of daily life, to put my limited time and energy into something I enjoy, and I can't stand attitudes I perceive as arrogant or as a sense of entitlement when all I have ever wanted was to provide something fun to everyone at absolutely no cost.

Honestly, I don't think that requiring someone to suppress their ego before making a critical argument is too much to ask, given what we're doing for free here, no matter how unjust that may seem to people.

As an aside, any and all posts that contain Hitler or Nazi references when evaluating our actions, or anyone else's for that matter, will be deleted immediately, beginning this minute, including recent ones. Unless you survived the Holocaust, you have absolutely no right to make such a comparison.

Thank you.
    Mithrandir, moderator of the Entrance Hall, on the Entrance Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Fellow Orgers, a while back I made the post below :

Dear junior members, members & senior members,

recently some people seem to have forgotten what the Org is about.

A friendly place where everyone feels welcome, with interesting topics and discussions. A place to ask how it is that your cavelry always gets beaten by camels or how exactly you have to modify your files so elves can fight stormtroopers.

A place where people will respond in a respectful & contructive way. This is especially true for the Entrance Hall, where most new members will start.

If you haven't already, read the forum rules. If you already have, read them again. When posting, remember the rules, but just as important : use your common sense. Treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself. If you feel something you're about to post could be taken as offensive, rephrase it or don't post it at all.

Hopefully needless to say : trolling, baiting and flaming will not be accepted. The staff has a variety of tools at their disposal to make a patrons virtual life a whole lot harder, but we don't like to use them. So please make sure there's no need for it.

If you feel offended, do not post a return-insult or a defensive post, but instead send any of the moderators a Private Message. They will act appropriately.

If you disagree with any of the above, feel free to send me a Private Message to discuss. If you think I've missed something, please post it.

-Mithrandir
    I feel the need to repeat myself and add the points below :
    When posting make sure the post is :

-not breaking the forumrules
    -constructive
    -respectful
    -pleasant to read (no caps lock, no abundance of smileys, no spam,limited text speak)
    -Does not contain (mild) swear words

If staff has decided to close your thread, issue a warning or take other actions with which you disagree, do not post in the concerning thread or in the entrance Hall! This will disrupt the thread/forum. Instead first contact the staffmember involved, if you cannot come to an agreement with him/her contact TosaInu (forum Admin) or post in the Watchtower forum.

-Mithrandir.
    A final word: It just wrong that some of our most valuable members spend most of their times on the public forum moderating spam, trolling, flaming and off topic comments, instead of doing what they like: making EB stride forward. This incluides making new previews, coding new ideas and thinking of new ways to make EB unique and different from other mods. This current state of affairs has seriously slowed down the advance of our mod, and has demotivated me and others to participate in the public area.

Please, refrain to post messages that you know are considered expressions of flaming, trolling and spam.

Francisco

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Forum Rules

There's one additional rule for the EB forum. Threads comparing which mods are the best, the most historical,... are prohibited as they to often lead into bashing or arguments. Please do not start these as they will be closed immediately.

Thanks

-Moros