Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new RTW

Emperor of the Brutii Member Emperor Mithdrates's Avatar

Smile A new RTW

They've made a new medieval total war and here i am wondering if they will make a new rome total war.

I want your opinions of what you would or wouldn't like to see in a new Rome game

thanks
    [B][I]"Sometimes you have to serve in order to lead." - Odysseus: King of Ithaca

"We have the best archers in the world and our walls have never been taken, We can win this war!" - General Briskais of Troy

Smile Re: A new RTW

I'll start I suppose.
    I'd like to see more famous ancient citys, like Troy and many more playable factions, like spain and dacia.

Of course I would like better graphics and all that suff pluss the ability to name and create new towns, but only in a wide non-inhabited area and of course to make sure you dont create a huge region, the computer will decide good borders for your settlement.

It would also be good to name the type of ruler you want for your country like Emperor or High King.

O.of.A
    [B][I]"Sometimes you have to serve in order to lead." - Odysseus: King of Ithaca

"We have the best archers in the world and our walls have never been taken, We can win this war!" - General Briskais of Troy

Default Re: A new RTW

For a couple of years now I've considered R2TW a very real possibility. Although this may seem rather illogical to some, the development and planned release of Empire:TW only leads me to believe that R2TW is a realistic possibility.

There really isn't much farther to go beyond Empire before you start going back in time again. Empires covers the time period right through the American Revolutionary War. Realistically, there really isn't much more they can do after Empire other than covering the American Civil War (and I don't think this would be entirely fair...considering that it would exclude pretty much everything except the Eastern Americas). I just don't see them going into the Civil War.

Empires will come...a Napoleonic Expansion pack and maybe even an expansion pack that focuses entirely on the American Revolution will follow. After this, I'd imagine that CA/Sega backtracks and revisits the classical Era. It does make sense considering that they did this with Medieval.

That makes more logical sense to me than continuing to move the period forward into the Civil War and then beyond (what's beyond? WW1?...I don't see how they'll enter WW1 with Total War). Once you get past the mid 1850's (even then) you're working too far into industrialization IMO to make a TW game.

They could pop out R2TW using the new Empire engine and include new diplomacy and the Naval Battles as well. I think this would be far more exciting to the TW community than informing them that we're moving full speed ahead right into full blown industrialism. Further, this age (1850-1950+) would require revamping the engine again to reflect mobilization and technology. Seems like too much to me when you could revisit a period like Rome's antiquity.
    Last edited by ArtistofWarfare; 03-06-2008 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord of Achaea
    I'll start I suppose.
    I'd like to see more famous ancient citys, like Troy and many more playable factions, like spain and dacia.

Of course I would like better graphics and all that suff pluss the ability to name and create new towns, but only in a wide non-inhabited area and of course to make sure you dont create a huge region, the computer will decide good borders for your settlement.

It would also be good to name the type of ruler you want for your country like Emperor or High King.

O.of.A
    Hmm, having cities like that would not be historically accurate and only fun for a few players like yourself.

Spain and Dacia aer infact playable. Plus you can also change the names of your vanquished states.

I would stick with a map that is already created - the mungdus magnus map. Quite adequate.

For my idea I wish that they would work with what they have got, make it more historical and basically do what many mods have done...

Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Scholar
    Spain and Dacia aer infact playable. Plus you can also change the names of your vanquished states.
    really? I didnt know. how do you play as them? is it a cheat or something?

No, go to C:Program Files: The Creative Assembly: Rome Total War:data:world:maps:campaign:imperial campaign: descr.strat and then change what is standing there into this:
    campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    numidia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    greek_cities
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    slave
    end

Quote Originally Posted by Globe
    No, go to C:Program Files: The Creative Assembly: Rome Total War:data:world:maps:campaign:imperial campaign: descr.strat and then change what is standing there into this:
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    numidia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    greek_cities
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    slave
    end
    wow. Thanks.

Back, to the point. I want to know what you think can be improved, if anything.
    What about new factions.
    I like Troy (Turkey) and phonecia (Israel)

Well of course, the realism could be improved. I mean top to bottom...not just provinces/resources. I mean units, factions, great leaders, tech trees.

This is partially why RTW was a disappointment for many. You simply cannot visit the age of antiquity with a strategy game like this and not go all out on the realism factor. The "period" being accurately reflected in game is a large portion of the appeal to a lot of people.

So, for now...realism across the board.

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

I'd definitely like to see some new historical factions. Get rid of the three familis, only SPQR should exit. The Samnites in Italy should be the first big rivals to the player for superiorty in Italia. The Attaliads in the Asian minors along with Pontus. Kingdom of Sheba in Arabia. Picts in modern Scotland. Dalmatia and the Illyrians in Croatia. Bactria in the East end. The break-up of Germania (Marcommanii, Teutones..…..) , Gaul (Aeudi, Helvetii…..) , Briton (Iceni, Cantiaci……..) and Spain in favour of smaller tribes, although this might complicate the map too much . and some more faction if they can find it.
    The map should also be improved, I’d like to see it extend to India, like in Rome:TW realism. More historical cities should be added.
    Better graphics is a definite. I though Medieval II’s graphic was quit superb, each solider has an individual face, unlike in Rome with the army of clones. I’d also like to see more units, espically for barbarian factions, in Rome:TW; Briton has got no more than 15 units in total. I’m sure they can find more than that.
    Next is historical faction members, people like Caesar, Hannibal, Marius………… with special traits and abilities, like heroes in Crusade campaign in Medieval II.
    More builds such as Warehouse, Courthouse etc,etc.
    And of course Naval battles.
    Also Intro video for all different factions, with historical event seting in time.
    I know I could think of more, but I’m busy today. I’ll publish my theories anther time.

I don't know why, for sure, but the more we discuss this the more I can't imagine R2TW being made at some point.

It ...I don't know...just makes sense.

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking. I don't think so though...I think we'll see this in action some day.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusJulius-Cicero
    I'd definitely like to see some new historical factions. Get rid of the three familis, only SPQR should exit. The Samnites in Italy should be the first big rivals to the player for superiorty in Italia. The Attaliads in the Asian minors along with Pontus. Kingdom of Sheba in Arabia.
    Yeah. I like historical rivals.
    I know i keep stressing it but wouldnt it be really cool if macedons arch rivals were Troy.
    That films mint.

Very much exceeded hardcore limits on everything in the first place.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Globe
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    numidia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    greek_cities
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    slave
    end
    I tried this, but when I selected a faction such as Scythia, RTW just closed on it's own accord. Can I get some help?
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir.Lenin.Returned
    I tried this, but when I selected a faction such as Scythia, RTW just closed on it's own accord. Can I get some help?
    This has happened to me as well, only if I make too many changes, like changing starting money, starting date, family member traits…………….. I had no problem just readjusting factions into Playable. Maybe we need some patches or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord of Achaea
    Yeah. I like historical rivals.
    I know i keep stressing it but wouldnt it be really cool if macedons arch rivals were Troy.
    That films mint.

Depending on the time period, but by the game time (270BC) Troy was long gone, burned to the ground. So it’s impossible for this to happen.

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Coming from a semi-modders standpoint, I think there should be more then 20 factions...possibly hundreds. This would allow different Roman familys or other cultures, and could simulate a son of the king founding a new nation.

I also think that the idea of creating cities should be introduced. Based on the population level of the city, the said territory should be allowed to increase borders at a small fee. If these borders crossed into enemy territories, diplomatic disputes should occur. If you are the stronger...then they may submit. but if you are the smaller, then war is inevitable. This would make for unique maps. Also population sizes should be more realistic...with millions instead of 20,000.

I think there should be more battle-features..such as a formation editor for those who dont know how to mod files. More formations, such as the roman wedge formation, the greek hoplite needs to be fixed, and cavalry is too overpowered. Also, some sort of movie editor to allow uploads of battles, which can be mafe "cinematic".

Diplomacy needs to be fixed, along with naval battles (including them in the game of course!)
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Depending on the time period, but by the game time (270BC) Troy was long gone, burned to the ground. So it’s impossible for this to happen.
    The new game could be set earlier than rtw and go on for longer. This would allow earlier factions to come into the game and later new factions and enemys to spring up.

True brings up a good point regarding populations...

Indeed- Constantinople, Rome, Carthage and Egypt provinces (among others) cannot have 25,000 people living in them 100+ years into the campaign. It's just silly, and I don't see any reason for it.

We're just talking about a number. I don't see why in the first RTW they specifically made it as fictional as possible. No difference between showing 25,000 or 2.5 million in my mind except that one makes sense and is historically accurate, and the other one just doesn't have even one reason for it's existence.
    Last edited by ArtistofWarfare; 03-07-2008 at 22:49.

Smile Re: A new RTW

Quote Originally Posted by TruePraetorian
    Coming from a semi-modders standpoint, I think there should be more then 20 factions...possibly hundreds. This would allow different Roman familys or other cultures, and could simulate a son of the king founding a new nation.

I also think that the idea of creating cities should be introduced. Based on the population level of the city, the said territory should be allowed to increase borders at a small fee. If these borders crossed into enemy territories, diplomatic disputes should occur. If you are the stronger...then they may submit. but if you are the smaller, then war is inevitable. This would make for unique maps. Also population sizes should be more realistic...with millions instead of 20,000.
    Now this guy knows what i'm talking about.
    I love your idea for creating a new city depending on population, and many more factions sound great.

For my ideal Rome : Total War. I think we should divide the game into different time period. A total of 4 different time periods should do, with different factions to be present.

Period One.
    Rise of Rome 300BC-108BC:
    Playable factions:
    SPQR. (Faction shield: legionary eagle with purple back round):
    Strong infantry, weaker cavalry compared to other factions, good range units, average navy
    Carthage (Faction shield: same as original):
    Excellent militia, Superb Cavalry, powerful elephants, able to recruit diverse mercenaries, best navy in the west Mediterranean.
    Macedon (Faction shield: same as Macedon in Alexander expansion. Black back round)
    Reliable infantry supplemented by terrific cavalry, excellent pikemen.
    Seleucid (Faction shield: Crown with silver back round)
    Weak early units, superb later tier units. With Macedonian style infantry + cavalry and eastern style cavalry, able to recruit elephants.
    Ptolemic Egypt (Faction shield: Same as original)
    Mixed army consisting desert dwellers and Macedon style pikemen, powerful chariots with excellent archers, able to recruit elephants but not to the highest level (armoured elephants). Very good navy.

Non-Playable Factions:
    Celts (Faction shield: well decorated traditional Celtic shield. Brown back round)
    Gaul (split between different tribes)
    Germania (split between different tribes)
    Dacia (split between different tribes)
    Briton (split between different tribes)
    Iberia (split between different tribes)
    Thrace (Faction shield: same as original)
    Scythia (Faction shield: arrows flying to an target. Orange back round)
    Parthia (Faction shield: Eastern Bow with arrow [similar to Huns]. Pink back round)
    Numidia (Faction shield: same)
    Epirus (Faction shield: hoplite helmet [same as the original Seleucid] white back round)
    Illyria (Faction shield: random barbarian shield pattern)
    Sparta (Faction shield: Up side down V, the sign of Laconia. Red back round)
    Athens (Faction shield: Acropolis. White back round)
    Armenia (faction shield: shield + spear. Some kind of greenish back round)
    Bactria (faction shield: camel. Sand back round)
    Pontus (faction shield: back round: same as original)
    Sheba (Faction shield: crescent [no star] with green back round)
    Attalid (Faction shield: cavalry helmet. Grey back round)
    Samnites (Faction shield: Sword with Green back round [same as Brutii])

The Romans start with few settlement in central Italy, having to compete with the neighbouring Samnite (In the south) for Supremacy in Italy, Tarentum is an rebel city with Greek culture. Tribes of Gaul occupies northern Italy, with the possibility of assaulting Rome itself. The SPQR could only train the traditional maniple. With few elite unit, but all unit are well disciplined and could hold their line even when losing.
    Tribes of barbarians occupies western Europe, constantly at war with each other.
    The Diadochi are still hostile to each other, the free Greek city states constantly create trouble for Macedon. The Seleucid are huge but surrounded by enemies, the Parthians are migrating south, they start around the Caspian area, they will be at war with the Seleucids almost straight away. Pontus and the Attalids will be trying to grab as much land as possible in the Asian minors. With Egypt controlling Palestine and looking for a way north.
    Carthage are in no hurry for war, starting quite comfortably with no enemies, although their cities are under-developed it should take long for them to get going. Sicilia and Iberia are good choice for invasion, as they did historically.

New faction will appear in period two, and some faction will disappear (destroyed)
    Period two is coming soon………………………
    if i forget anyone please correct me.
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 03-07-2008 at 23:16.

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

More turns per year and Multiplayer campaign of some sort (thanks to Myrddraal for making it possible in RTW). Possibly something to change the names of Family members, a system of voluntary adoption and marriage (you choose who and when), possibly even a system to choose when to attempt to have children.

More Senate offices for the Romans...hell even a system for EVERY faction that allows you to create a unique social structure that would give influence bonuses.

More options for Client Kingdoms...like telling them where to attack and when. Also, you should be able to give units to other factions to represent mercenarys or gifts.

On the battlemap, you should be able to see the caravans and night tents, even fight from them.

CAVALRY THAT CAN FALL OFF THEIR MOUNTS!! Its kinda un-realistic when both horse and rider fall. All units should be given some sort of option to become/un-become cavalry. Imagine a general falling off his horse, and all of your men rushing to save him.

Also, more men on the battlefield ..as much as can fit without casuing computer difficulty..id like Legions of 6,000 men each myself..and massive fights with over 30,000 men.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

some of Pretorian's suggestion will definetly taken into account

Period Two.
    Second Punic War 230BC-108BC

Playable Factions:
    SPQR. (Faction shield: legionary eagle with purple back round):
    Strong infantry, weaker cavalry compared to other factions, good range units, good navy
    Carthage (Faction shield: same as original):
    Excellent militia, Superb Cavalry, powerful elephants, able to recruit diverse mercenaries, best navy in the west Mediterranean.
    Weak early units, superb later tier units. With Macedonian style infantry + cavalry and eastern style cavalry, able to recruit elephants.
    Greece (Faction shield: same as original)
    Super Hoplites, able to recruit Spartans (only in Sparta), weak but varied cavalry, good ranged units, excellent navy.
    Parthia (Faction shield: Eastern Bow with arrow [similar to Huns]. Pink back round)
    Useless infantry, excellent cavalry, few options, crap navy.

Non-Playable factions:
    Celts (Faction shield: well decorated traditional Celtic shield. Brown back round)
    Gaul (split between different tribes)
    Germania (split between different tribes)
    Dacia (split between different tribes)
    Briton (split between different tribes)
    Thrace (Faction shield: same as original)
    Scythia (Faction shield: arrows flying to an target. Orange back round)
    Sarmatia (Faction shield: horse head with white back round)
    Pontus (faction shield: back round: same as original)
    Attalid (Faction shield: cavalry helmet. Grey back round)
    Macedon (Faction shield: same as Macedon in Alexander expansion. Black back round)

This time Rome controls all Italy plus Sardinia and part of Sicily. They’re in an direct war with Carthage, although at the start the game it is ceasefire, but both sides will attack given the chance. Carthage lost control on the Mediterranean, but gained new colonies in Spain, with Iberia destroyed. Carthage under the inspirational Hannibal, who is available at the start of the game, will take them to new heights.
    The War in the Middle East also intensifies, with Antiochus III taking charge of the Seleucids, war and alliance is already on the brink. No battle is ever easy and it’s gonna be the end to one of these super powers.
    The Parthians are migrating ever more, at war with the Seleucids right at the start, their king will be looking for new land for his people, they is also Bactria to content with in the East.
    Macedon faces trouble as the Greeks unites. The Scythian also finds an enemy in the newly risen Sarmatians.

Period Three coming soon………….

Period Three.
    Marian Reforms 107BC-1AD

Playable Factions:
    Julii (Faction shield: same as original)
    Excellent infantry in legionaries. Cavalry is also much improved after the reforms. Ranged units is also top-notch, able to recruit regional mercenaries (Gallic cavalry, Iberian mercenaries) directly in cities.
    Pontus (Faction shield: same as original)
    Macedonian style pikemen with any combination of Eastern Heavy Cavalry, the only faction strong enough to contend with SPQR in the East.
    Gaul (Faction shield: same as original)
    Excellent swords men supplemented by good cavalry, very good archers
    Germania (Faction shield: same as original)
    Crazy infantry (no phalanx for warbands), including the ever frightening Berserkers, very good cavalry and archers who can fight in melee.
    Improved but still rubbish infantry, excellent cavalry, able to recruit elephants, navy is catching up.

Non-Playable Factions:
    SPQR. (Faction shield: legionary eagle with purple back round)
    Dacia (Faction shields: same as original)
    Briton (Faction shields: same as original)
    Sarmatia (Faction shield: horse head with white back round)

Now Rome is the unquestionable master of the Mediterranean. Engulfing so many factions in the process. With so many factions destroyed. A new enemy lies within. This time period is flood with Historical characters, Marius, Sulla, Cicero, Caesar…….
    The House of Julii, led by Gaius Marius will have to complete a series of mission by the Senate. After the destruction of Gaul, will trigger the civil war. With Julii directly going against the Senate, eventually achieving imperial status.
    Many barbarian factions have united, and bring trouble to Rome. The Gaul have united and looking for more land, The Scythians are destroyed by an combined effort of Pontus and Sarmatia. The Seleucids are reduced to their last cities, no more than a mere client kingdom but capable of defending themselves if it comes down to it.
    Parthia rules the East, expanding further west. Egypt is also losing their armed forces, despite their wealth. Pontus are in an aggressive war with SPQR in the Asian Minors, under their King Mithradates IV the war seems to be going well. The Numidians have replaced Carthage as the power in Africa, constantly looking for opportunities for land and money……………..

Last part coming soon………………..
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 03-08-2008 at 11:22.

Cool Re: A new RTW

Quote Originally Posted by TruePraetorian
    CAVALRY THAT CAN FALL OFF THEIR MOUNTS!! Its kinda un-realistic when both horse and rider fall. All units should be given some sort of option to become/un-become cavalry. Imagine a general falling off his horse, and all of your men rushing to save him.

Also, more men on the battlefield ..as much as can fit without casuing computer difficulty..id like Legions of 6,000 men each myself..and massive fights with over 30,000 men.
    I like the cavalry idea. another idea would be an improved graphics chip.
    When you zoom in on fighting the sword slashes are slow and it takes ages to kill someone.
    Kills should be instant, unless blocked, with plenty of blood and even limbs falling off, there should also be the ability so that if you destroy every bulding in a city the city gets eradicated and the neibouring provinces get extra land and that means you could create a whole new possitioned city.

I’m not sure about the graphics. We’re not creating an first player action game here. You are talking Spartan Total Warrior.

I cannot wait for your final installment!

I’m not sure about the graphics. We’re not creating an first player action game here. You are talking Spartan Total Warrior.

yeah I don't even know where to begin hissing at his suggestion...

Instant Kills? Limbs just flying across the screen? Running the army around destroying all the buildings in cities? ....

<shudder>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast