Thread: Mini-Mod: Return of the Oliphants

Default Mini-Mod: Return of the Oliphants

RETURN OF THE OLIPHANTS

Version 1.0

Compatibility: Rome Vanilla 1.5

Conditions of use: GPL

50% Bigger and 100x Better than Regular Oliphants!

Introduction

Hi there. This is a mini-mod that adds fireball shooting Hyper-Oliphants to Numidians. Its design concept was to push the RTW engine to its limits and find the most powerful unit possible, without major graphic/3D editing or re-coding of the game itself.

First, screenshots:
    Battle between one unit of God's Destroyers and 20 units of Carthaginian Armoured elephants

NOTE:

This mod is based 99% on my "Numidians strike back!" mod. I removed the infantry and catapults, and added the super-Oliphants to the faction such that:
    1. You can move the fastest on the strategic map, as cavalry
    2. You can assault a city immediately without being bogged down by siege weapons or having to build siege equipment on the spot

The fireballs have a range of 1000 meters and 100% accuracy.

I did not change the unit cards. :p I couldn't find a suitable picture, and besides, the point of this excercise was to find out how far the game could be changed simply by altering the text files and crudely changing the skeleton models.

I also fixed epik CTD bug that occured if you built an Adam Tree Deceres in a province without a port, and made various other under-the-hood improvements. This includes the REMOVAL OF BURNING OIL, as an insta-kill free weapon that refills in 3 seconds and can kill units with 255 hp and 65535 armor in one hit is ridiculous.

THIS MOD WAS TO MADE TO DELIBERATELY IMBALANCE THE GAME, PURELY FOR MY OWN AMUSEMENT AND TO LEARN HOW TO DO BASIC MODDING.

THE STORY

Numidians are considered one of the hardest races to conquer the world with in Vanilla. In fact, it was voted as the most difficult faction by nearly a third of the members of the Guild when a poll was conducted ~2 years ago or so.

Well, god has heard their pleas and have bestowed some of his strength upon them, as well as given them access to the mighty soldiers of heaven and heavenly wood to build indestructible catapults and boats.

NEW UNIT

God's Destroyers: God's most powerful weapons are brought into the mortal world.

1. God's Destroyers
      Also known as "Living Mountains." A regiment from god's army of Heavens descended upon Earth to annihilate all in His path. God first created these beasts by harnessing the primal energies that were used to create Earth many millenia ago. Eons ago, these troops were used as God's "mailed fist" to aid His conquest of Hell, and now God has bestowed his greatest weapon upon faithful humans to eviscerate all evil that may walk the Earth. These fearsome beasts are infused with holy power and their very presence strikes bottomless despair within the hearts of man and beast alike, and they can move faster than the fleetest animals, leaving nothing in their wake.

Elite members of god's Warrior Angel Corps command these beasts and personify the glory of His will. They can channel the power of fire from the deepest pits of hell to destroy entire entire armies in seconds, from distances no mortal eyes can comprehend.

The physical manifestations of these ethereal beings are nigh-indestructible. No mortal walls or weapons can hope to defeat these reincarnations of of the very lifeforce of Earth itself.
    2. Adam Tree Deceres
      Through His blessings, supernatural Deceres have been constructed using wood from Adam tree itself. These invincible ships can destroy even the mightiest warships made of mortal materials. Invincible on sea. Even one of these invincible ships can dominate the entire Mediterranean. Fighting these vessels is an excercise in futility, as a mere mortal cannot hope to stop the Tides.

NEW TRAITS/ANCILLARIES:
    Not a bad place to start off from...

1. New trait-"God": God has blessed this individual with a small portion of his holy power. Effect: +65535 on all possible positive stats (except population growth), -65535 on all possible negative stats

NOTE: Triggers have been manipulated such that this trait is automatically given to any general/family member/agent within the Numidian faction. Even bribed generals will immediately receive this trait.

NOTE: When any character has this trait, most negative traits are negated and converted to positive traits-even if the character, as a bribed general, had a bad trait before entering Numidia's service.

2. New ancillary-"Angel": God has bestowed all whom he bless with an Angel to carry out his holy words. Effect: +65535 on all possible positive stats (except population growth), -65535 on all possible negative stats

NOTE: Triggers have been manipulated such that anyone with the God trait receives Angel by default.

OTHER FEATURES

• Numidia is now able to build every building available to other factions. This does not include Temples, however-Only the temple of horse has been added. But after all, that's the only temple you should really need, as the highest level temple of horse gives +5 experience to any troop trained.
    • Numidia also begins with a mountain of gold bestowed by god. (5,000,000 gold).
    • Burning oil on stone walls have been removed until a way to tone down the damage or refill rate can be found.

Rain of Hell from Beyond the Walls!

HOW TO INSTALL
    1. Backup your Activision/Rome-Total War/Data folder.
    2. Unzip the mod file into your Data folder.
    3. Play as Numidians and conquer the world in less than 10 turns :)

Mod-Talk:
    Yep. Elephants. These super-oliphants have skeletons 1.5x the size of normal oliphants, and 6x the size of even the cataphract elephants. Thanks to the innate effects of increasing the skeletons, they can also move 6x as fast as any other unit on the field. Their greatest strength, however, lies on the awesome range the height offers to the fireball hurlers. They can literally rain hell down on unsuspecting troops defending the central plaza of Rome itself, from outside its walls, beyond the reach of walltop archers or Epic wall turrets. (Actual range: 1000 meters)
    Last edited by orgo.love; 03-08-2008 at 07:25.

Default Re: Mini-Mod: Return of the Oliphants

Until my file is approved, here's the download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/97900437...hants.zip.html
    Last edited by orgo.love; 03-08-2008 at 07:17.

Battle between God's destroyers and 15 units of YubtSeb Oliphants!

Size comparison:

THE BATTLE:
    God's Avengers:

~1500-strong Oliphants:

The battle begins!:

Predictably, the result was:
    (This was the result of a different battle, but same army make-up)

Not even the mighty oliphants could resist the might of God's Destroyers!
    Last edited by orgo.love; 03-08-2008 at 08:42.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Congrats, it looks like you're having great fun with this

I'm guessing that campaign balance might be a bit odd with these guys though
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

After playing around for a little while, I decided that this is still too weak to take a fully fortified epic walled city all by itself. Therefore, I'm increasing the size even more such that the head of the elephant clears the epic stone wall towers. I'll post a SS when I succeed.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it looks like I reached the limit of RTW engine's rendering capabilities. I will have to figure out something else.
    Last edited by orgo.love; 03-08-2008 at 09:58.

Gah! This sucks. Because of limitations of MTW's game engine, the only way I can realize my vision is by making it such that a normal size elephant is accompanied by "angel soldiers" floating high, high up the oliphants, raining hell down on the enemies.

Which is totally lame.

:(

See screenshot:

Looks like I should just make a "heaven" type mod, where unseen soldiers of heaven shoot fireballs from heaven, and their anchor to Earth are the elephants. If the elephants die, the angels throw away their mortal manifestations and return to heaven.
    Last edited by orgo.love; 03-08-2008 at 10:25.

hmmm.... i dont get it when i play as the imperial campaign i always get a ctd when the screen loads the numidian faction