Thread: XVIIth century mod

Default XVIIth century mod

Hello! With Empire:Total War coming, there`s 130 years gap from 1570( when M2TW ends) to 1700 ( when Empire:TW starts). XVIIth century was always most fascinating period of military history for me, when gunpowder replaced swords, and professional soldiers replaced old feudal armies. I was eagerly awaiting for 'Pike and Musket 2' mod, but it seems that it`s dead.

What I would wish for, is detailed total conversion of M2TW where attention to historical detail and realism is equally important as gameplay balance. This would be a hard and huge undertaking, that will require whole team.

Myself, i`m just newbie modeler/skinner with decent skill at photoshop and Cinematic Editor. If you are interested in that period, and you can help - let me know!

I already started works on Polish-Lithuanian units - I`ll just post screenshots from time to time, and hopefully someone would want to help me at some point. :)

Default Re: XVIIth century mod

Name: Heavy Hussars

Faction:
    Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Period:
    1570-1600

Qualities:
    Fast, Powerful Charge, Medium Armour

Flaws:
    Vulnerable to Pikemen

Description:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Initially the first hussar units in the Kingdom of Poland were formed by the Sejm (Polish parliament) in 1503, which hired three banners of Hungarian mercenaries. Quickly recruitment also began among Polish and Lithuanian citizens. Being far more maneuvrable than the heavily armoured lancers previously employed, the hussars proved vital to the Polish Crown and Grand Duchy of Lithuania victories at Orsza (1514) and Obertyn (1531). By the reign of King Stefan Batory the hussars had replaced medieval-style lancers in the Polish Crown and Grand Duchy of Lithuania army, and they now formed the bulk of the Polish and Lithuanian cavalry.
    Over the course of the 1500s hussars in Hungary had become heavier in character: they had abandoned wooden shields and adopted plate metal body armour. When Stefan Batory, a Transylvanian-Hungarian prince, was elected king of Poland in 1576 he reorganized the Polish-Lithuanian hussars of his Royal Guard along Hungarian lines, making them a heavy formation, equipped with a long lance as their main weapon. By the 1590s most Polish-Lithuanian hussar units had been reformed along the same 'heavy' Hungarian model. These Polish 'heavy' hussars were known in their homeland as husaria.
    Note: Heavy Hussars are not famous Winged Hussars, they`re just a evolution stage between light 'Rac' cavalry(vanilla M2TW 'hussars' unit), and Polish Winged Hussars of XVIIth century.

Historical images:

Screenshots:

Lance pennants covered with historical patterns (3 types of them). Also, notice that lance is by 1/3 longer than vanilla equivalent:

Some soldiers could wear regular, red cape, or fur, to make each of them more individual. (based on historical pictures):

Total number of 10 shield textures - Polish and Lithuanian coats of arms, as well as heraldry of some of Commonwealth`s Voivodeships: (Kievan, Samogitian, Sandomirian, Poznańskie, Ruthenian, Podolian, Kievan, Pomeranian, Kuyavian):

Also, a handful of soldiers would have plain red shield with attached feathers, like here:

While working on those winged shields I`ve noticed that CA screwed them (they were horizontally inverted :laughter: )

3 different versions of helmets, and 3 versions of heads:

Sabre is now longer and narrower (I`ll still have to work on pommel, to make it historically correct):

Few more screens:

Note: This unit will be also included in new version of Stainless Steel Mod.

Name: 'Hajduk' Infantry

Faction:
    Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Period:
    1570-1630

Qualities:
    Good Morale, Medium Fire-power, Decent Melee skills

Flaws:
    Defenceless against Cavalry Charge

Description:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The word hajduk entered the Polish language from Hungarian in the late 16th century. It was initially a colloquial term for a style of footsoldier, Hungarian or Turco-Balkan in inspiration, that formed the backbone of the Polish infantry arm from the 1570s until about the 1630s. Unusually for this period, Polish-Lithuanian hajduks wore uniforms, typically of grey-blue woollen cloth, with red collar and cuffs. Their principle weapon was a small calibre matchlock firearm, known as an arquebus. For close combat they also carried a heavy variety of sabre, capable of hacking off the heads of enemy pikes and polearms. Contrary to popular opinion, the small axe they often wore tucked in their belt (not to be confused with the huge half-moon shaped berdysz axe, which was seldom carried by hajduks) was not a combat weapon, but rather was intended for cutting wood.
    In the mid 17th century hajduk-style infantry largely fell out of fashion in Poland-Lithuania, and were replaced by musket-armed infantry of Western style. However, commanders or hetmans of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth continued to maintain their own liveried bodyguards of hajduks, well into the 18th century as something of a throwback to the past, even though they were now rarely used as field troops. In imitation of these bodyguards, in the 18th century wealthy members of the szlachta hired liveried domestic servants who they called hajduks, thereby creating the meaning of the term 'hajduk' as it is generally understood in modern Polish.(1)

Historical images:

Screenshots:

(Note: There are still few things to add, like small wood-axe (that was part of their equipment), and more variety to their uniforms.)

Nice work. How's the mod coming along?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg