Thread: Modding movement rates?

Default Modding movement rates?

I'm still fairly new to MTW2, but have done some basic modding to change the two year turns to one year turns, and also to mod some basic unit stats in export_descr_unit.

However, I don't see anywhere I can mod the movement rates for various units, especially ships? It bothers me to no end that a ship can only sail half the length of the Italian peninsula in a turn. Which file has the movement rates in it so I can mod them myself? Is it in export_descr_unit? In the old MTW, as long as I had ships in a line of sea provinces, I could move from Italy to Jerusalem in a turn, which is more realistic, IMHO.

I would prefer to do it myself, rather than somebody saying, "use this cool mod to modify your movement rates..."

Thanks

Default Modding movement rates?

I'm still fairly new to MTW2 and I think I posted this in the wrong forum first, but have done some basic modding to change the two year turns to one year turns, and also to mod some basic unit stats in export_descr_unit.

However, I don't see anywhere I can mod the movement rates for various units, especially ships? It bothers me to no end that a ship can only sail half the length of the Italian peninsula in a turn. Which file has the movement rates in it so I can mod them myself? Is it in export_descr_unit? In the old MTW, as long as I had ships in a line of sea provinces, I could move from Italy to Jerusalem in a turn, which is more realistic, IMHO.

I would prefer to do it myself, rather than somebody saying, "use this cool mod to modify your movement rates..."

Thanks

Default Re: Modding movement rates?

I asked this a while ago, here's a link to the thread. You may have to tinker around with it to get it working for ships. And I think you have to play a couple of turns before the change will take effect.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=99859

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bloody Infantry
    I asked this a while ago, here's a link to the thread. You may have to tinker around with it to get it working for ships. And I think you have to play a couple of turns before the change will take effect.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=99859
    That was about as clear as mud.

So, I need to change the starting action points? Will that change how far they move on the map? (I'm not so concerned about their movement in a battle)

will that work if it is a general (or captain) and several other units together?

It should affect the campaign map, yes. The battlemap speed is set separately. I only got it working for artillery though.

As for stacks, any stack will always move at the speed of the slowest unit in the stack. Is that what you were asking?

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

This is a modding question.

Look in descr_character.txt; unfortunately all army movement speeds are hardcoded to some fraction of the global value at the top. You can alter admiral speed though.

Edit: Your two threads have been merged.
    Last edited by alpaca; 04-02-2008 at 18:03.

A little added bit, non-army characters (spies, princess etc.) also work, but the General/captain speeds are all screwy and should be set to the same as the 'global'.

Blog Entries

im modding retrofit mp, there isnt a descr_character txt 4 retrofit, ive heard tht i hav 2 use the kingdoms.exe one instead and change tht as i also want more move points, but i dont get it! lol, which folder do i hav 2 change so tht the retrofit mp version gets extra move points?

If the mod/data folder dose not contain a version of descr_character.txt it uses the vanilla version. I dont have kingdoms, so I'm not sure if it's different, but you want to copy-paste the vanilla file (m2tw/data) to the mod folder (mod/data) and then edit it there. Kingdoms may have it's own version, so you'd probably want to use that one.