Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.x AI Faction Progression Thread

Default Re: 1.1x AI Faction Progression Thread

ARVERNI CAMPAIGN 251BC (1058 mnai) M/M Difficulty.

My campaigns are so damned lazy until 210 BC!

The Romani may look extremely disappointing - however, I have had Rhegion and Taras rebel constantly.
    And it is remarkable to note, that they took Patavium, Segesta, Segestica, Dalminion and Massalia in less than a year.

Yes, that is why they are, (Hopefully), going to be pacified by this coming autumn.

Apart from that, there isn't anything greatly interesting yet.
    The Sweboz scare me, they gained 5 provinces in 2 years, and have 4 full stacks.

But this is my best campaign in Total War completely, I destroyed the Aedui in 271! Ha! I overcame my fears of debt and beat them to death without losing more than 500 men, and then proceeded to take all of Gaul whilst fighting a silent, unofficial war with young Roma.
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 05-04-2008 at 10:12.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

That's a blandly uniform army you've got there, Glenn.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Romani H/M BI.exe
    Selukids can't manage a war on two fronts. When they concentrate on one the other loses fast. The Sauromatae expansion is unexpected. The Spartans looked dead and buried but are having a resurgance. Pontos is expanding but will be caught between the Black Death and the Yellow Fever.

270bc

260bc

250bc

240bc

No more uniform than a Marian formation really, I haven't got a great choice of units in my settlements, as I've been paying all my attention to expansion - and those swordsmen beat Lugoae, which are my only other option.

So I use my swordsmen like good cohorts, my family members are playing the role of otherwise too expensive cavalry, and the Solduros were added for a good solid base of power - and because I could afford them.

The stack following the main is 6 units of Lugoae for garrison control of my new acquisitions.

The northern stack, ensuring that Roman army doesn't stab me in the back, is far more varied - though slightly depleted - and no doubt would be easier on your eyes, Quintus Sertorius.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Surely you must find a use for Iaosatae, they're pretty good as slingers go (especially for whittling the enemy down before the lines close, or during sieges). I've always gotten good results from Curepos as well - not for frontal charges mind, but clearing up routing enemies. Gaeroas/Gaelaiche are good flank-coverers too (or even better Celto-Hellenic Spearmen, cheap but solid). Aren't all those swordsmen a bit slow when it comes to mopping up at the end of a battle?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 05-04-2008 at 13:59.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: 1.1x AI Faction Progression Thread

Cool Mak & Steppe-progression, Ravenfeeder.

Default Re: AW: 1.1x AI Faction Progression Thread

No, Curepos would simply be unneccessary when I have about 5 free family members surrounded by Brihentin, and they are my cavalry, usually creating the first great rout and thereon slaughtering all the escapees.

As for flankers, they are rarely needed, unless the AI has good cavalry - which Roma holds nothing of the like - two full stacks are in Pannonia, and they have one unit of depleted Extraordinarii between them.

You are right, I see you point of course - but I don't pick and choose varied armies until I have time to sit back and plan.

At the moment, I have to tie Rome's hands, and create fortifications on the Pyrenees - and only then will I be safe to plot.

But thank you for noticing! I'll let everyone return to the topic now.. --

((Now the page has loaded correctly - I admire your Parthia, Ravenfeeder, and most particularly - I admired Makedona before you attacked them - in fact, you may have convinced me to try BI again.))
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 05-05-2008 at 06:47.

Previous updates
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Carthies showing their dominance in west with almost all Iberia taken aided by a stream of naval reinforcements, which are now landing around Massalia and moving north and east

Arverni/Aedui still holding out, Aedui having some Mak regions rebel to them before being destroyed;
    Casse still stagnant

Sweboz been cut in two by the steamrolling Maks and seem to be on the defensive with a lot of full stack settlements

Romani actually very strong despite losing ground to Carthies, many full stack polybians around northern Italy

Poor KH somehow still holding on despite constant attacks against Rhodos, also having Chersonesos, Emporion and Syrakousai rebel in their favour within a few years. Almost took all Sicily in one year but were beaten back by Cart naval landing.

Makedonia ... Must have a total of ~20 full stacks from Asia minor to the Baltic sea, beating all enemies in their rather unusual path. Also taking advantage of the reformed phalanx they currently are clearing Pontic territories, putting down Aedui revolt and sieging a couple Sweboz settlements.. havent bothered with Romani or Sele's yet (being allied to them might make the difference, maybe)

Sauro declining though they still have a lot of nobles and FM's to be dealt with

Pontos holding remaining territory against Maks with full stacks in cities, yet are still losing

Hai taking advantage of the weakening Sele's along with Ptollies, Pahlava and myself. Also attacking Pontos and have several full stacks roaming around wherever they are needed.

Sele's, having been focusing more on the western enemies have lost a lot of ground mainly (if not only) to myself. Surprised me with 2 full stacks including Hyspatistia(sp) and other elites, retaking Babylon/Seleukia, and then running back to western side, leaving the cities virtually undefended again

Ptollies, besides fighting a stalemate war with Sele's have sent a few stacks Carthage's way to no avail. Defending against Saba constantly

Saba sending the best they can against Ptollies, with one emerging around Seleukia and roaming up and down the border

Pahlava has become tied down endlessly trying to take Sele controlled Hekatmopylos, which has really drained their army to the extent that they only have a couple of 5-6 unit stacks in all their territory, with minimum garrisons in all settlements.

As for myself, recently finished taking Indian regions after underestimating them half a decade earlier. Factional and regional armys pushing all the way to Arbela until both armies were severely depleted, taking advantage of weakened Sele's and a couple slaughtering bridge battles. Now have the Indo-hellenic army and factional army returning to Baktra to begin attack on Pahlava.

176BC

Dear lord.

Lusotannan...
    This space intentionally left blank.

That is, indeed, spooky...
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Voice,

Makedonia in Denmark? Wow.

Look at that Lusties...

@ Voice - Wow.... Greeks in India and Greeks in Scandanavia.... We would all be speaking Greek rather than Latin based languages if such had happened!

AI Macedonians in Denmark, AI Lusotanians in all Gaul and parts of Germany, and in another pushed back into extreme NW Iberia alone, AI Saka totally out of their homelands but still with an empire. I love all that variation!

Hayasdan, 196BC:

Looks like I won't get to fight the Romans

Quote Originally Posted by Roy1991
    Hayasdan, 196BC:

Looks like I won't get to fight the Romans
    I have question for you..

did you menage march of time reform??

did your bodyguards change??

sorry for my bad English
    Last edited by Atanamir; 05-06-2008 at 11:28.
    They make it a desert, and call it peace.
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: Tacitus

Romani campaign, EB on Alex.exe, VH/H

262BC

252BC

242BC (previous update)

232BC

The turn after my last update I got the Polybian reforms and started to recruit new armies to send to the fronts, and my first target was Iberia. The Lusotana had just kicked the carthaginians out, and when I conquered Emporion and Vellinka, they made the foolish decision to attack me. Two half-stacked Camillian armies in northern Iberia and two fully-stacked Polybian armies on the way, the Iberians fell like leaves. Gader rebelled to the carthaginians after my conquest from the lusotana, thus becoming the start of my second punic war. When the carthaginians lost the Iberian peninsula, they diverted their efforts towards Egypt and now share borders with AS.

In Illyria and northern Italy, I raised two armies. My Illyrian Army (consisting of only illyrians + FM) conquering all rebel lands between me and the Getai and the second army actually conquering Noricum. I sneaked in 3-4 spies in the city and ran for it, leaving Sartres out in the wilderness. He's still there, and I'm raising a new army to get rid of him.

At Taras, I have raised an army waiting for the fleet to take them to Epeirus. The ongoing war between KH, Makedonia and Epeirus have drained them of troops and money. My Illyrian army is marching south, ready to attack Pella as soon as my army from Taras lands at Ambrakia.

AS are still incredibly strong, advancing well into Egypt and have just conquered Byzantium. They also have Pontos in a chokehold, and I expect Pontos to be defeat very soon. They have also conquered the KH-kingdoms of Karia and Trapz-bla-bla. They have only started to loose some ground in the east, as Baktria declared AS war. Baktria is high on bloodlust, as they have the Saka Rauka on the run.

Hayasdan got pissed off with the Sarmatians, and took two HA armies north and is currently taking settlements from them (only to have the settlements rebel back to the sarmatians).
    Last edited by Tyrfingr; 05-06-2008 at 11:45.
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

I pity Pontos! They were doing so well!

The Seleukids are fearsomely advanced for so early in the game.
    As are the Carthaginians!

I would really love to see a Casse Invasion soon!

(Not in my campaign!)

ARVERNI M/M 248 B.C.

Well, it's finally come to this. Segestica at last.
    By the end of 250 BC I had all Roman territory excepting Segestica, Arpi and Massalia.
    However, a terrible defeat caused by my laziness in relying on cheap mercenaries cost me some turns near Massalia.

But one will notice the difference in the experience of my Bataroas, who have been through seven large battles with the Romani, conquered Bononia, Segesta, Arretium, Ariminum, Roma, Capua, and Massalia and never lost a single battle.

They will remain as the guardians of the new Italian provinces when this is all over.
    My 6 star general will go and secure the Pyrenees.

However, I will not destroy the Romans.
    I consider it far more amusing, rather than smiting them with my power, to let them be conquered and surrounded by those who were once their sub-ordinates.
    And so I will take Segestica, award it to the Koinon Hellenon, and allow a Romano-Illyrian civilisation to develop.

Who knows, perhaps it will conquer Hellas one day.

As for southern Italy, those radical rascals the Carthaginians are already parading around Capua with the idea of taking it - before they even control Sicily!
    For this reason I shall give Rhegion to the Koinon Hellenon also, and become their firm ally, and just south of Capua I will fortify my veteran force - instead of in Patavium where I had planned.

As for the rest of the world;

The Lusotanann are going to be unofficially declared war upon by myself as I attempt soon to take the Pyrenees, I must keep their settlements rebelling until I can create a shield out of that range of mountains.
    They are progressing steadily, because after being attacked by Moskon, they were allowed to continue besieging Numantia - and Moskon went down to pummel Carthaginians near Mastia instead.
    They aren't as powerful as they usually are, thank god.

Karthago is always so terribly slow to start in all my campaigns, unlike what I see everywhere else.
    But this is another opportune thing for me - as I am now the ultimate object of any conquest they may attempt - save Aegyptus.
    They have a poor military, have only just begun to take settlements, and are completely pacifistic.
    However, once I have my current Kingdom secured - I will be invading Africa by naval expedition.. That will be the Gallic quest I think.
    (Plans may be subject to change.)

The Romans.. well, there are Romans still, of course, theyare auxiliaries in my newly recruited armies - and are filling the garrison duties of southern Italy.
    However, the Romans who are still in control of their own fate - are now to be known as the Romano-Illyrians - a small city state controlled by ex-consuls of the Roman Republic, who in exile managed to subvert and gain a tyranny over a large group of Illyrian villages.

The Sweboz, all though controlling five full stacks, are not so scary after all - though I must watch them.
    The stacks are completely filled with levy spearmen - the weakest sort - and they have now turned braindead - staying exclusively in Germanica and ceasing their attempts to cross the Rhine.
    Again, thank god.

The Casse are absent-minded also - and although this pleases me - and it will be some time before I will have to worry about a naval invasion, yet still I would prefer to be entirely sure.
    And so, when I send my general to fortify the Pyrenees - I will have enough money to send a small naval expedition to Britain - and smite the town of Camulosadae and it's four units.

Epeiros is doing exceptionally well! They always do! However this time I am especially pleased because they are not simply going to war with the Getai and pushing North - but forgetting about Makedonia and besieging Bithynia and Pergamon!
    They are also attempting to take Olbia.
    If they continue on these three fronts, I may have a very powerful ally in the East.

Makedonia after being very nearly eradicated - the Makedonians came off Euboia and Lesbos with three full stacks - one waiting for it's turn at Pergamon, another besieging Corinth, the third is going to take Demetrias.
    They may come back.

The Koinon Hellenon are rather idle.. Simply waiting out their crisis in the Makedonian counter-attack with a strange stupor.
    For this reason I choose them to garrison and protect the two plug-hole provinces that will protect me from would-be invaders.

Pontos is idle... Not even any armies, as it usually has - even when braindead.. not at war with anyone.. simply spectating.

The Hai are really trying.. For once, they are really giving it a go - and not just against the reasonably powerful Sauromatae, but also the Arche - they are pushing out in all directions.

Pahlava are having trouble - with such a broad front, and being at war with Baktria and the Arche - they are just barely holding their conquests.
    It will be fortune that either breaks or empowers them.

Baktria and the Saka are in the same crisis - at war with both neighbours - and unable to sustain any profit.
    Those three nations are three casualties of exhaustion.. and unfortunately I predict that none will win out.

Sauromatae and Saba are stalemated by their own laziness.

The Seleukids and Ptolemaics however, are having such a violent war that, even through toggle_fow and step-by-step analysis, it is rather interesting to watch.
    The many counter-attacks launched by both sides to control Antioch are vicious - and carried out by surprisingly well-built armies.
    The Seleukids are desperately trying to furnish monetary support by taking Asia Minor - the Ptolemaics by Cyrenaica and Ethiopia.

And thankfully.. that's it.

hi.
    casse campaing. vh/vh.
    i wonder why ptolemaioi faction is so powerful in EB. because historically they weren't so crushing like this. look at the pictures. i haven't even helped a faction with diplomatic relations. nothing

wow very impressive, @ khosro-II-parviz. I like it how some factions that were already finished come back like the Aedui between 182 and 162 BC, or the Lusotans. Civilized factions conquering the steppe is in fact a problem, otherwise the Ptolemaic empire is not impossbile if some able king would have been able to unite it with the Seleukids.

BTW, what game where you playing? Jumping to Ireland and then doing nothing the next 70 years.
    Last edited by konny; 05-08-2008 at 11:56.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

i playnig that campaing only sake show ptolemaioi power.

my campaings:

Sweboz (vh/vh)

my pahlava campaing:(m/m)

Last edited by khosro-II-parviz; 05-08-2008 at 13:00.

Sweet Jebus! Ptolemaioi North to South across the whole map! I don't think any of us have seen that before. Some really amazing things in your campaign though: Pontos had one of the best empires I've seen them have, and then within a decade they were virtually wiped out. Carthage taking over such a huge area in Europe and then losing it all was freakin' awesome. KH exiled to just Krete and Rhodes, then coming back and taking over *all* of Magna Graecia. I like that the Sabaeans could hold out against the Ptolies, even in Africa. That Roman expansion was pretty sweet too - stopping at the alps and moving to the west is sort of what we want, but I've never seen them reach Gadir! Then getting crushed makes it so much better. It is also absolutely amazing that Baktria survived for so long just holding Alex-Eschate. I wonder what the hell happened to Carthage to have it blow up like that and lose all that territory? That is what we VERY rarely see - one of the big ones making a large empire and then losing it, but NOT losing it to another empire. Losing it to small factions. That would be really awesome to sort of figure out. If only the Ptolies hadn't gone crazy like that yours would be one of the best AI progressions I've ever seen, but even as it is it is pretty amazing. Kudos!! If we had rep here you'd get some for posting those progression images.

One reason btw that the Ptolies probably wind up doing that is that once they take Seleukid lands they share MIC's, so I'd chalk most of that up to that fact. They immediately have great soldiers in all those places.

Also, I really like Baktria's expansion in your Casse campaign. That is what we would like to see more of from them. And your Roman expansion in all three campaigns was really good too. It's just impossible to get them to cross water like we want.

Congratulations Khosro-Pahviz!

That is an amazing study you have!

No doubt the most entertaining piece presented in any Progression thread!

So this is what the AI do with each other when they think we have our backs idly turned...

I have to say, I was cheering on that Parthian Empire as I scrolled down past 202BC.. What a shame.. I do like how they held out for twenty years in a small colony inside Armenia!

Thank you!

Absolutely amazing khosro-II-parviz.

The Romans seem to do much better in 1.1 - as in they actually take all of Italy quickly now.. but they seem to stall after that. I am trying to get the Romans to expand in my game and short of giving them all the cities it does not seem to be happening.

khosro-II-parviz,

If you wait long enough, you will have to fight Ptolies when you land in Gaul...

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khosro-II-parviz
    hi.
    casse campaing. vh/vh.
    i wonder why ptolemaioi faction is so powerful in EB. because historically they weren't so crushing like this. look at the pictures. i haven't even helped a faction with diplomatic relations. nothing

I've never seen Pahlava kick this much ass, and the fact that they dish out all that beating to both AS and Baktria... Along with the progression of the Saka, this is a very historically satisfying AI development, which I have observed is pretty nicely a coin toss; Either Pahlava or Baktria carries the day and it does for sure represent the heavy "gambling" of both Mithradates I The Philhellene and Eucratides I.

Of course, the Ptolemaioi are unusually and often unrealistically brisk (Which usually is by itself a coin toss between them or the AS), and we have discussed it within the team. The conquest of Iran seems unlikely considering the Seleucids normally held the initiative, and more than once made severe entrances into Egypt proper, but the conquest of the steppes had me laughing; The only "settled" faction which should be able to harness any advantages in those reaches ought to be Pahlava, but due to the inflexibility of the AI, it does not often work to our intention, unfortunately.

I like your Pahlava-game though, and for sure, it shows on your screen-name as well what kind of conqueror you are as well. Well met and welcome to EB, and please do keep reporting, it's because of these we get the clues to how we should improve the machinery.

Dorûd va khush âmadî,

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Wow.... the Carthaginian empire that grew and held strong for decades, eventually decimated by rebellion and Lusotannans... and Greek!? wow....

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast