Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

Quote Originally Posted by alatar
    Quintvs, could you upload your save files?
    I've only got the one file; where/what would I upload it to?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Filefront or somewhere.

Filefront or somewhere.
    Alright, it's done. You can get my saved game (packaged in rar format) here.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Thank you very much (It saves me going through the rather boring first 20 years, in fact (as I play like you and generally just press end turn most of the time)).

An interesting AAR, I follow it abit reluctantly though. The historical thing is cool on the one hand, but the amount of force diplomacy you use, kinda feels like cheating to me (even after you explained why you did it, it's not rational it's a feeling) which kinda puts me off sometimes. Well to each his own I always say. Still an interesting read though.
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Thank you very much (It saves me going through the rather boring first 20 years, in fact (as I play like you and generally just press end turn most of the time)).
    No problem, hope you have fun with it. Only things I did that are non-standard was halve the size of the triarii maniples (halved cost as well) and install the Force Diplomacy script.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality=Chaos
    An interesting AAR, I follow it abit reluctantly though. The historical thing is cool on the one hand, but the amount of force diplomacy you use, kinda feels like cheating to me (even after you explained why you did it, it's not rational it's a feeling) which kinda puts me off sometimes. Well to each his own I always say. Still an interesting read though.
    I'm not bothered about "cheating" in the slightest, doesn't detract from my own fun, especially since I don't use it for my own advantage. I don't play games because I want the "challenge" of "beating" the game, that does nothing for me. Getting a rough historical simulation is more important a goal.

Indeed my present run of genuine cheating (using the console to give factions money) expressly makes my life more difficult, rather than easier. I get my difficulty from sticking to history, rather than random stuff happening through the engine.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-13-2008 at 13:38.

Ive been wondering how you will recreate Hannibal in Italy. Are you going to script it somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    No problem, hope you have fun with it. Only things I did that are non-standard was halve the size of the triarii maniples (halved cost as well) and install the Force Diplomacy script.

I'm not bothered about "cheating" in the slightest, doesn't detract from my own fun, especially since I don't use it for my own advantage. I don't play games because I want the "challenge" of "beating" the game, that does nothing for me. Getting a rough historical simulation is more important a goal.

Indeed my present run of genuine cheating (using the console to give factions money) expressly makes my life more difficult, rather than easier. I get my difficulty from sticking to history, rather than random stuff happening through the engine.
    Yes I know why you do it, since you had explained already. I was just trying to comment on my somewhat torn feeling about the AAR. As I said earlier it's a feeling I have about it, not a rational argument or anything.
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    Ive been wondering how you will recreate Hannibal in Italy. Are you going to script it somehow?
    I've been thinking about that. I don't know how to script stuff, so I'd need help, but perhaps put him in Italy and FD Tarentum and maybe Capua to Qarthadast. Plus give Mediolanium and Patavium to the Arverni or something.

I've been thinking about that. I don't know how to script stuff, so I'd need help, but perhaps put him in Italy and FD Tarentum and maybe Capua to Qarthadast. Plus give Mediolanium and Patavium to the Arverni or something.
    Scripting an army is easy.

As for the save file, it loaded, but the traits are all messed up so I'm starting my own campign.

Scripting an army is easy.
    I literally have no clue whatsoever in terms of scripting. What file would I be editing?

As for the save file, it loaded, but the traits are all messed up so I'm starting my own campign.
    What happened to them? I've never used someone else's saved game, is that a common problem? Could it be because I zipped it up?

The EB script file.

writing the spawn army bit is very easy.

Then just add a monitor for a number of turns. Look at the EB script file and find some examples of spawing armies.

249BC:

Only a minor update, I've captured the most significant thing that's happened the past few turns. I've switched to BI.exe, and there's already a result. Makedonia has sent a fleet carrying six units to take Crete. First time I've seen any faction take it with purpose, rather than stumbling some units there, who wander around but never actually take it. The other ship you can see also contains a unit, possibly some naval reinforcement.

No naval invasions from Qarthadast, possibly because they don't appear to have any ships.

Had to rescue the Arverni, they were down to one settlement in Gaul. Wondering whether I need to do something more active to preserve the Seleukids who are losing territory to Pahlava, Baktria, Koinon Hellenon and Pontos. Seem to be containing the Ptolemies, but that's it.

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

This is an awesome campaign, somehow even better than your one on 1.0; must be the stronger steppe factions. I have to warn you though, since I heard someone on the forums say that gifting provinces to the AI messes with their ability to recruit units in those provinces, so that may be why in your last game the nomads were unable to retain control of territory that you had given them. I haven't heard any hard proof on this, but there does seem, at the very least, to be apparent truth to this, as in my Qarthadast campaign where I gifted Bononia and Arretium to the Aedui. They so far haven't done much so far and it has been quite some time since they got them. Part of it might be that they are still neutral to the Romani, but who knows. Just thought I'd warn you. Someone said that if you let the province rebel, it avoids this problem, and from experience, this seems to work.

Chairman
    My balloons -

Quote Originally Posted by chairman
    This is an awesome campaign, somehow even better than your one on 1.0; must be the stronger steppe factions. I have to warn you though, since I heard someone on the forums say that gifting provinces to the AI messes with their ability to recruit units in those provinces, so that may be why in your last game the nomads were unable to retain control of territory that you had given them. I haven't heard any hard proof on this, but there does seem, at the very least, to be apparent truth to this, as in my Qarthadast campaign where I gifted Bononia and Arretium to the Aedui. They so far haven't done much so far and it has been quite some time since they got them. Part of it might be that they are still neutral to the Romani, but who knows. Just thought I'd warn you. Someone said that if you let the province rebel, it avoids this problem, and from experience, this seems to work.

Chairman
    Could it have been a problem in 1.5 that was fixed in 1.6/BI? I've just changed executable so I'm hoping that's no longer the case. Having said that, Epeiros' AI seems to have gone catatonic, they've done nothing but occasionally recruit troops for the last 20 years, but they haven't marched them anywhere. Now they are in the strange position of being at peace with everyone (and Makedonia's protectorate) but even so it's bizarre.

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

I have no idea about anything at all beyond 1.5 as that is most that I have, mainly because you don't need anything else to play EB, and I still don't trust Kingdoms. Ehh, what can you do.

Though your point about Epirus does seem strange given their normally super-aggressive behavior in all of the other 1.1 games I have seen posted. It must be a result of having been cowed by the bigger "Alpha Dog" of your Forced Diplomacy. It seems Epirus has met their match .

Hopefully 1.6/BI solved the gifting-province-recruitment problem, but that's something we'll have to wait and see about, which I will be doing most attentively as I follow your fascinating AAR.

Cheers

Chairman
    My balloons -

The Battle of Trinakrie, 249BC

The imperator and proconsul Lucius Cornelius Scipio knew his time in Sicily was nearing an end. Already there were whisperings among his officers that someone was preparing a case against him at Rome, and that his enemies were looking to replace him as commander of the war in this theatre. However he had more pressing matters at hand, a Karthadastim army under Hamalcar was raiding the communities in Trinakrie. Given Hiero was a Friend of the People of Rome, it was Scipio's duty to protect these people.

The summer and autumn seasons were spent marching and counter-marching, both armies trying to get a better position. Supply issues forced Scipio to accept battle on ground of Hamalcar's choosing.

Hamalcar had fewer men, but a better position on the crest of a hill. Scipio deployed his men in the regular triplex acies, using an outcropping of rock to anchor his right flank. Nero was on the left wing with his adherents, no longer able to justify the place of honour after his behaviour outside Lilibeo. Once more Scipio's Campanians were held in reserve at his personal command.

Hamalcar was confident, and sent his skirmishers forward immediately, trusting to elevation to give their missiles extra stopping power and range.

Scipio ordered his troops forward. He knew this would be a slogging match of a battle with little subtlety. His men would simply have to brave the storm, march uphill and take the fight to the foe. They were confident in their general and he trusted them to get the job done.

The missiles began to have an immediate effect, taking a serious toll on Scipio's own light troops.

Still they marched on closing their files and leaving the dead and wounded in their wake.

On the right flank, Hamalcar's Greek cavalry charged the skirmishers who fell back towards the hastati.

In the centre and left, Hamalcar maneuvered, but did not engage.

Then he ordered his Garamantines forward, overseeing them personally to inspire them to greater bravery. Scipio sent his reserve cavalry forward to shower the lightly-armoured Garamantines with javelins, but held them from a charge.

On the right, the intervention of Scipio's own allied cavalry drove off Hamalcar's Greeks, even as his heavy skirmishers rushed to their aid.

In the centre, more peltasts joined the fray, but the retreat of the cavalry created a gap in the line. The Samnites took advantage of this to outflank the heavy skirmishers. Meanwhile on the right the Bruttians charged the other group of peltasts.

On the left, a subdued Nero ordered his files of troops forward, attempting to engage the slingers and javelineers on the hilltop.

Fighting in the centre was fierce, Scipio could see Hamalcar across the dusty field, but schooled himself to stillness. He wasn't a young man any more, his duty was to inspire and observe, not charge sword-in-hand.

The Samnites arrived behind the peltasts and on the right the allied cavalry withdrew behind the fighting line then marched around the flank.

In direct contrast to the older man's command style, Hamalcar charged into the maelstrom in the centre, hoping to add the weight of his bodyguard to the press. Scipio held his ground, but sent the Campanians forward.

Meanwhile on the right, the allied cavalry charged into the rear of the peltasts.

Just to the left of the centre, the Maurians broke, unable to maintain contact with the more heavily armed and armoured principes.

Nero looped around the scrum on the left, charging the rear of another group of Maurians.

Pressed between the Bruttians, skirmishers and allied cavalry, the enemy peltasts were crushed. They were shown little mercy.

Some of the more eager members of Scipio's praetoria leapt into the melee with Hamalcar's bodyguard, but the imperator calmly sat his horse.

Nero, who had been pursuing fleeing skirmishers behind the Qarthdastim line, turned his friends into the rear of the Garamantines in the centre. They collapsed under the pressure.

That began the rout, in which Hamalcar was pulled to safety by one of his bodyguard, and the general fled the battle.

Thus a hard-fought victory was won. But Scipio was already thinking about reinforcements for his depleted force.

Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-15-2008 at 22:55.

246BC:

The war continues in Sicily, Scipio has been replaced by Marcus Aurelius Cotta, a senior praetor, and he just celebrated his triumph in Rome. With the death of Gnaeus Cornelius Blasio, the princeps senatus, Scipio is now the First Man in Rome.

The Getai are running away with the northern part of the map, not sure if I should start boosting Sauromatae funds to compensate.

There's a small Makedonian stack in Epeiros, maybe they'll start something there and kick them out of their malaise.

Just below the shot there's a Ptolemaic army who've arrived on Crete to contest the Makedonian attempt to take it.

good story !! but one question the battle formations you use are that the historical ones?

Quote Originally Posted by hrrypttrbst
    good story !! but one question the battle formations you use are that the historical ones?
    As near as is possible within the confines of the engine. Although I don't place the pedites extraordinarii (don't actually have any) in the right ala as was traditional. You can see my pretty standard arrangement in the second pic (which I originally forgot to attach).

this is quite a good read.

Quintus, in 1.0 I did exactly the same as you for my Romani game. It paid off too well I'd say

The Carthaginians did manage to put up a good fight for Lilibeo after being given 100,000 mnai and 10 years of 'truce'.

When I defeated them, I landed in Africa and fought many great battles until... I met up an army of a Puno-Iberian(Can't remember his name), who was a veteran of Puno-Ptolemaic wars.

His army was composed of two silver chevron veterans of Elite african pikemen, 2 sacred band infantry, and rest elite african infantry and two libo-phoenicians.

Needless to say, not even my best army could defeat such a monster, and it was quite embarassing and fun, to fight this pseudo-Hannibal.

This AAR is on hold for the moment, with the revelation about the UnitSize bug for several factions. It's non-savegame-compatible, which means a restart in the near future.

Meanwhile I'd appreciate some feedback on the style of this one. Was the campaign description plus major battles a good format to go with? Or was there too much detail on battles?

Better much detail,then no details.

This AAR is on hold for the moment, with the revelation about the UnitSize bug for several factions. It's non-savegame-compatible, which means a restart in the near future.

Meanwhile I'd appreciate some feedback on the style of this one. Was the campaign description plus major battles a good format to go with? Or was there too much detail on battles?

It was a good read, too bad it is on hold...

Quote Originally Posted by snude
    It was a good read, too bad it is on hold...
    Soon as the complete fix is out, I'll start afresh, with just as much entertaining narrative.

EDIT: It seems that I may have been hasty in assuming I needed a restart. Apparently the bug is only relevant to some faction leaders at the start of the game. If that's the case it's irrelevant to me since they're all dead by now anyway. So this will resume!
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-17-2008 at 23:45.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I think Makedonia was the only faction with that broken trigger. And the default, when the trigger is broken, is the huge setting. So if you are playing on huge already the fix doesn't actually change anything.

The Second Battle of Elymia, 245BC

The praetor Marcus Aurelius Cotta had been sent to Sicily to replace Lucius Cornelius Scipio. The troops weren't happy to see their beloved commander leave them, and Cotta was a harder man to warm to. He was given to bouts of depression and kept people at a distance. He was a rhetorician and poet of some renown, and that only detracted still further from his common touch. Of plebian nobility, command didn't sit quite so well with him, lacking a patrician's natural air of authority.

Matters were not helped by that palpable aura of authority carried by his quaestor and legate, Sextus Claudius Pulcher. Pulcher was an ambitious and capable young man, clearly on the ascendant.

Nevertheless, he was scrupulous and proper in his conduct and made no attempt to undermine his commander's authority. The men were relieved by the unity of command lacking with the imperator's tenure.

After failing to draw the garrison of Lilibeo out to fight, Cotta had marched away towards the slopes of Etna. It was high summer, but he wanted to be close to the Straits of Messana for any communication from Rome. He was hoping to run for the consulship and needed to know the latest.

Unbeknownst to him, Hamalcar was recruiting mercenaries in their droves once more, and received reinforcements and funds from Kart-Hadast. He immediately marched in Cotta's wake, catching up with him on the northern coast of Elymia.

Although outnumbered, Cotta decided to give battle. He was well-supplied and confident that in the right place they could achieve something. They set up on the lower slopes of a hill, trusting to the steep territory to tire out the Karthadastim. Cotta was in the centre, Pulcher on the lower slopes with a body of cavalry on the right, and some Greek cavalry covering the left at the crest of the hill.

Battle was joined, the confident Hamalcar advancing to meet the Romans, who simply rested. As the enemy closed, the skirmishers exhausted their supplies of missles, taking advantage of the elevation their position gave them.

Hamalcar himself lurked on the right of the Roman line, hoping perhaps to turn that flank. With him was a detachment of mercenary cavalry.

In the centre, the main battle line crept up the hill, pike phalanxes holding the middle of the Qarthdastim front.

High on the left, the decurion in charge of the allied cavalry walked the horses to the top of the hill so he could survey the whole battlefield. Iberians, Gauls and mercenary hoplites approached the Roman left.

Hamalcar and his cavalry slipped around the Bruttians covering the right flank. Cognizant of the danger, Pulcher calmly wheeled the horsemen with him to face the threat.

The enemy advance continued in the centre, Cotta called out some words of encouragement to the men.

On the right, Pulcher charged, and further up the line the Samnites pressed the Garamantines hard. Cotta ordered the triarii to assist Pulcher and provide refuge for his horses when the inevitable separation came.

The Garamantines cracked, and the Samnites, showing great discipline halted and dressed their lines.

Heedless of the allied cavalry slipping around them, the Iberians and hoplites made for the Roman line.

The allied cavalry charged home, hitting the Iberians in the rear.

Meanwhile on the right Hamalcar charged into the fray.

In the centre, the phalanxes engaged and fierce fighting erupted. Cotta ordered the allied heavy skirmishers to flank one of the blocks of pikes.

Up the left the Iberians folded.

While in the cavalry battle on the right, the arrival of the triarii turned the tide, Hamalcar's mercenary horsemen turning tail and running.

With the Iberians gone, the left ala was now unengaged. The praefectus of the Bruttians ordered the advance to flank the phalanx line.

While the Samnites on the left charged the mercenary hoplites, who suffering under a hail of slingshot moments before decided discretion was the better part of valour.

The allied cavalry turned and charged a group of enemy skirmishers, who put up some resistance.

But it didn't last long, and close by the Samnites and Bruttians approached the rear of the elite phalanxes.

A terrible melee, involving Maurians, Gauls, Liby-Phonecians and Hamalcar himself, was brewing on the right.

While the left ala continued to infiltrate the enemy line.

The Iberians supporting the phalangites wavered.

On the right Pulcher led his comrades into the fray once more, spotting Hamalcar and calling out to him in challenge.

The pike blocks had resolved into two groups and Cotta watched on intently. His allied archers were out of ammunition, and he denied their commander's request to aid the Roman legions in the centre. Against elite pikemen such as these tough Africans, unarmoured skirmishers would be of little use.

Pulcher was wounded in the arm, and fearing for their friend's safety, his entourage steered his horse clear of the melee and fled to safety.

Hamalcar charged wildly at the Samnites behind his own line, and his bodyguard was cut down as a result. The man himself took flight, abandoning his men to their fate.

Worrying about the situation on the right now Pulcher had left the field, Cotta decided to intervene personally, his praetoria following the commander's reckless charge.

Their commander's act of conspicuous bravery checked the men, who fought on with renewed vigour.

In the centre it was chaos.

On the right, the polyglot forces there finally caved in once they realised their leader had fled.

The scrum in the centre continued unabated.

But word had spread even to the centre of the general's capitulation, and even these veterans lost heart.

Seeing some of their comrades flee, the other Africans lost hope.

They ran, leaving the Greek mercenaries to fight alone.

They didn't fight on for long, and the panic spread.

Until it became a rout.

And finally, the day was Roman.

245BC:

Cotta's army continued it's retreat to the Straits of Messana, awaiting both news from Rome and reinforcements. Not a moment too soon, an army of Sardinian and Iberian tribesmen landed near Lilibeo to reinforce Hamalcar's position.

At Rome, the quaestor Kaeso Claudius Nero was cornered by a delegation from some mutinous mercenaries in Corsica. They persuaded him to charter some ships and hire some men to sneak into Alalia and capture the settlement. Ever eager for glory, Nero signed onto the scheme.

Elsewhere in the world, Pontos and the Getai are still expanding and Pahlava show no signs of losing their new holdings. Baktria are also out to get more territory, currently besieging Alexandreopolis.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Nice update. What happened to your world map? It looks like it's flat- like the mountains on it are gone...
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

243BC:

I got on with grabbing Alalia, since I should have taken it over 20 years ago. Karali on the other hand is on schedule - in about six years time. Massilia is currently under siege. In Spain the Karthadastim have besieged Arse.

As you can see, there's another army in Sicily, this one is composed entirely of Balaeric and Sardinian troops. Could be painful to fight with all those slingers and archers.

Epeiros is visible on the right, that's the armies they build and do nothing with.

As to the map, no idea what's happened to it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast