Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Settlement Modding

Default Re: Settlement Modding

Ah stupid me,

Its no use ofcourse since I wanted to make those new roads for a mod, and I can't tell people when the mod releases that they should start altering their RTW main folder stuff just for one mod.
    Nah scratch that idea. ;)

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

I'm not sure. If you get it out of the pack and put it in the right place in the mod directory it should work. This is something that would be good if you could find it out, though it might be hardcoded. You can always try putting the roads in as part of the underlay/overlay for a settlement though (how I did it with osgiliath).

Building for the Future of METW

Hmm well if I still have a chance with this, I'll try it as you say :)

I'll first check out what you did with Osgiliath then

edit: Hmm well yes, I searched the forums on your Osgiliath map Thor but all I could find were threads of you asking questions and no one replying unfortunatly , so could you tell me how you got your own roads into a city with the use of over/ and underlays?
    Last edited by Wundai; 11-02-2008 at 15:02.

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

Basically made the underlay have the shape of a road surface and then use the overlay to put texture over that surface. There's some good tutorials around about underlays and overlays iirc. For dust roads you can just use your overlay because there's no required topology.

LINK and LINK.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 11-03-2008 at 15:01.

Building for the Future of METW

Thank you I'll start looking for tutorials on those then

Well, to come back at this I have actually taken a look into the RTW packs, AND have found both the texture and the .cas file needed to change the streets to from pavement to mud. I would have liked to try it this way, and explore every option before starting a whole new overlay myself you see

Well I have changed both the texture and the cas file to get its texture from that file. And put them both in the bi/data/settlement_plans/overlays folder (for textures I had to make a new textures folder in there though) And I actually figured that would do the trick, but no. Not even after renewing the scene root.

Now I know I said I would follow tutorials on overlays, but might you have any idea's on why this process described above doesn't work Thor?(or anyone else ofcourse)
    Last edited by Wundai; 11-06-2008 at 10:19.

Hi, Im folloing the work of seth for the mod LOTR TW, but I have problems with asing textures (I think)

In 3dmax I see this

But in game a I see this blue helm

(The 1º time I see a rainbow texture)

I don´t know too much about textures
    In 3dmax I select the bitmap path in d:\RomeTW\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_building\texture\helmsdeepwall.tga
    And I asing the texture to the model

But I see that when I open a .cas the path is ...RomeTW\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_building\texture\helmsdeepwall.tga.DSS but this file .DSS don't exist (maybe is generated?) and I don't know how I can put this path in 3dmax

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tranky View Post
    I don´t know too much about textures
    In 3dmax I select the bitmap path in d:\RomeTW\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_building\texture\helmsdeepwall.tga
    And I asing the texture to the model

But I see that when I open a .cas the path is ...RomeTW\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_building\texture\helmsdeepwall.tga.DSS but this file .DSS don't exist (maybe is generated?) and I don't know how I can put this path in 3dmax

Thanks
    I'll give you my limited knowledge of models and skins.
    If you check the file type of helmsdeepwall.tga, it should be a .dds file. Thus the full file name (including file type) should be helmsdeepwall.tga.dds. This is what is referred to by the .cas file. If it says ".dss", that should be corrected to ".dds".

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

No, I have active the windows option to see extensions of all files and is .tga (I can see it in
    properties too). And When I say when I select the file in 3dmax window the generated path is d:\RomeTW\alexander\lotrtw\data\models_building\texture\helmsdeepwall.tga

I see. .dds is used because it compresses well. An image in .dds takes less room than the same image in .tga. I would recommend converting it. Most image editors can do this with a downloadable plugin. Just search .dds plugins for your program of choice. That may help, beyond that I am afraid I can't help you as this really isn't my area of expertise.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12