Thread: Topic:Norse War Clerics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Topic:Norse War Clerics

Opinions, ups and downs of this incredible M2TW unit i havn't used it too much and i want to know if they are worth.
    My deepest fear is not that I am inadequate...my deepest fear is that I am powerful beyond measure.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Topic:Norse War Clerics

I prefer Huscarls myself. The advantage of the War Clerics is in their recruitment and, if it's the kind of thing you care about, they're much prettier than Huscarls. They do not have a good (Re: Lance) charge, but they're quite effective against other heavy cavalry. My favorite use for them was smashing heathens and infidels, especially the Mongols. See my Viking Migration AAR for details.

To me the whole point of heavy calvary is shock value. Calvary is for smashing through enemy formations and causing routes by flank charges. Thus, I found the Norse War Clerics lacking. When playing as the Danes I stuck to mostly infantry armies. The Danes, IMO have some of the best heavy infantry in the game. Why use calvary to do heavy infantries job of prolonged melee? They do look really cool on the battlefield thought, which is a means to an end.
    A mind is its own place, and in itself
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

John Milton

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Appearance wise they are one of the coolest, if not the coolest, units in the game. They do not however function as other heavy cavalry, which is sensible since the Danes are infantry-heavy anyway.

They are easily available since you get them from an Abbey, and any cavalry from cities is a bonus. Their AP maces are deadly, these guys can comfortably beat pretty much any other cavalry unit in the game, and make great Mongol hunters and General's Bodyguard killers.

Their weakness though is against infantry, since the lack of lances mean they do not have the shock factor of other cavalry, and won't mow a line of men down like even Mailed Knights do.

Think of them as mobile infantry, same goes for Huscarls. They fare much better than other cavalry when they are bogged down, and can cover any weak spots effectively thanks to their speed.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

To tell the truth, I rarley use any calvary outside of Generals Bodygaurd unit. I like calvary mostly for their shock and charge values. Norse Clerics are a tough unit but they trade-off their charge and shock stats for this. My best use for them has been to use them on the flanks. Send them to the left and right of the fray, and then, when the moment is right, have them close in and charge/smash the enemy from behind, resulting in mass routings, and heroic victories.

Generals bodygaurds on the other hand are used as my tanks. I make premtive strikes on the enemies battleline, take out archers, and artillary, and generally cause chaos and confusion to the enimies line, so that when my infantry finally arrive, the battle has already been won. MTW2 has alot of unique units like Norse Clerics. They add some flovor and fun into the game. There are lots of differant uses for these units, but the way you use these unique units is up to you, just make sure that you have some fun in the process.

NWC look great and against mongols they are the way to go! Even against a generals bodyguard they fare great and are extremely useful for those kinds of situations since killing an enemy 10 star general can be just as valuable in a battle and campaign as a strong charge.
    " . . . treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies."

Would they in a way be like Tsar's Guard which I remember being referred to as fast heavy infantry?