Thread: Shogun 2 RPG??

Wink Shogun 2 RPG??

Myself and some clan mates have come up with a great new way to play S2TW, using an RPG element.

We decided to make it a public RPG in the hope more people would join, so i come here inviting you to check it out and if it appeals to take part.

You can read about it here - Road to Kyoto.

You do not have to join our clan to play, but you will need to register at our forums to post and what not.

Hopefully, if the idea works, it can be used here and at TWC also, and many can find another way to enjoy S2TW.

I hope some of you join, and look forwards to feedback also to make it truly epic.
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

Worship sheep, Drink Beer, Wear 3 feathers with pride, Not Slay Dragons, Love Rugby and Football, Not be too friendly with the English, Keep a welcome in the hillside, Learn our Anthem (not just chorus), Eat and Enjoy Leek soup, Congregate and drink on international match days ........ correct at time of sermon on the Mountain Ash.... copyright Dai of Cymru.

Default Re: Shogun 2 RPG??

Incase it helps some of you join us, i will post here the set-up/guide we have thought of!

The Road to Kyoto is an RPG Campaign game.

Once all players have registered, we will decide on which ingame clan to use. Once a clan has been selected, we will post up the names of the Generals for each player to choose who they wish to control during the game.

As well as playable Generals, there will also be non-playable, RPG only roles such as Commissioner for Warfare, Commissioner for Development, Commissioner for Finance, Clan Daimyo and Commissioner of Espionage. Below you will find details of what each non-playable characters role is within this RPG.

Commissioner for Warfare

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This character has the final say on which units trained are where, as well as where these units can go to ingame. You may decide to send trained units to join up with an ingame general (or the person playing as ingame general may have convinced you of there greatness), or you may create armies that are not led by an ingame general.

Armies not led by an ingame general will remain controllable by the Daimyo (further explanations below).

Before training any units however, an agreement must be made between this person and the Commissioner of Finance.

Commissioner for Development

This character has the final say on what buildings are constructed/upgraded and in which regions. (People playing as ingame generals may have gained favour enough to have the town nearest them provided with a No'Dachi Dojo, for example).

Before building any units however, an agreement must be made between this person and the Commissioner of Finance

Commissioner of Finance

This character has the final say on what the Clan spend our Koku on, whether it be military might or economical strength, larger armies or better castles. (People playing as ingame generals may have garnered enough favour to never have any problems getting finances agreed for a larger army, and more chance of glory)

Before agreeing to assign funds to train units or build/upgrade infrastructure, an agreement must be made between this person and the other related Commissioner(s) lest Koku be wasted on areas not being fully exploited.

Commissioner of Espionage

This character has the final say on what agents are recruited and what missions they carry out, as well as where they will move to. (People playing as ingame generals may have convinced this character that a ninja to sabotage enemy gates is a must, further aiding there individual quest for glory, for example)

Before agreeing to train agents, or indeed use them or place them within an army, an agreement must be made between this person and the other related Commissioners.

Clan Daimyo

This character is not portrayed by the ingame Daimyo. This is purely RPG character and the ingame Daimyo is considered just another General.

The Clan Daimyo has the ability to debate with all aspects of his Kingdom with all Commissioners, his word very strong indeed. Any ingame armies not controlled by a playable general, or not on route to join a playable general, are automatically controlled by this character. Likewise, any fleets not with admiral onboard are controlled ingame by the Daimyo.

At the start of every turn, the Daimyo must post about the Clan, including Koku, Units and location, enemy locations where possible, and buildings constructed/damaged during the AI turn. The Daimyo will also serve notice of any attacks on generals during the AI turn, providing them with the save to play the battle if agreed between all non playable characters and the general in question. If retreat is selected, it is the Daimyo who shall do it

Playable Characters

All ingame generals, including the ingame Daimyo, will be controlled by a player. Any battles a general has must be played by the person who chose to play as them, with a report of battle posted afterwards.

This will be done by passing the save between players to do there actions, once all actions are done the save is passed to the RPG Daimyo to press end turn.

Any units that have been trained and agreed to join with a playable general are that generals responsibility to move, which they must do before passing the save, agents within an army CANNOT be used by the general, they remain the sole use of the Commissioner of Espionage.

When increasing in rank, the person controlling the general has exclusive rights to assign ranking points wherever they wish, however they must keep all players informed of what it was spent on.

Ingame Diplomacy

All ingame diplomacy will be carried out by the RPG Daimyo, after debating and agreeing with all players within the RPG. This covers everything from Trade, Peace, Hostages, Marriages and what Trade Nodes are occupied. Any AI instigated diplomacy will be decided by the Daimyo (due to lack of option to save game at this point and debate before a decision made) who will then give a report on what was offered, whether it ws accepted or not, any counter offers made and the reasons why.

Sons coming of age/Adoptions

When Sons come of age, or men are adopted into the Clans family, we have to find a player to use them. If this is not possible and the RPG is being stalled as a result, then these "new" generals will be considered "second in commands" and assigned to serve under a player already ingame.

This can be only be done once all players have agreed who he will serve with, and once done he will join ingame with this general and remain there until a further decision is made on joining someone else or a player is found to control him.

If someones general dies and they wish to remain playing the RPG, then this "second in command" will become there character. If there is more than one "second in command" available then the person gets to choose which one they want.
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

Worship sheep, Drink Beer, Wear 3 feathers with pride, Not Slay Dragons, Love Rugby and Football, Not be too friendly with the English, Keep a welcome in the hillside, Learn our Anthem (not just chorus), Eat and Enjoy Leek soup, Congregate and drink on international match days ........ correct at time of sermon on the Mountain Ash.... copyright Dai of Cymru.

I think i'll join up :)
    <enter something witty here>

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Welcome to the Throne Room guys! This looks like a great game, have you considered hosting it here instead? We would support it with a dedicated sub forum like the other RPGs we have going (which you can see at the top of the page)

I won't be joining this one, at least not at the start, as I have my hands full, but let me know if there's anything I can do to help get it off the ground.

You could also try posting in the Tea Room to catch the attention of some TWS2 players who may not have considered an RPG before...
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Thanks dude!

We have 8 players, which is just enough to start this. We wanted to play through one RPG so we can see how it progresses and any issues that arise regarding progression/ingame events/anything we havnt considered yet can be solved, so there is nothing left unsure or unfaced, then take it live here at Org.

Once this first "tester" RPG has finished, i shall definately take you up on your offer of a dedicated sub forum, as no doubt by then we will have refined the set-up to make this as good as it can be.
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

Would if I could, but I got too much on my plate right now, sorry man.

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emotion_name View Post
    Thanks dude!

We have 8 players, which is just enough to start this. We wanted to play through one RPG so we can see how it progresses and any issues that arise regarding progression/ingame events/anything we havnt considered yet can be solved, so there is nothing left unsure or unfaced, then take it live here at Org.

Once this first "tester" RPG has finished, i shall definately take you up on your offer of a dedicated sub forum, as no doubt by then we will have refined the set-up to make this as good as it can be.
    Ok, but we're happy to have an experiment running here too, so don't be shy if you change your mind...new games are good for the Throne Room!
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

this looks cool, RPG in TW :D But I must wait to check whether my system could run Shogun first. If the game runs smooth, I will join in too. But you will have to wait till I get it, which will be like a couple of days from now. If you can save a spot for me I might join in. If not its ok.

Cool, i hope your system runs it, your more than welcome to join!

A son will come of age soon, which you will be able to use for the rpg - all the commissioner roles are taken now!
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

K. Ill get the game probably by tomorrow or 2 days from now. Ill let you know when i want to join

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

I joined this game and it is pretty fun so far. Still very much in the starting phase, but if you like I will keep posting some stories or battle reports from that campaign here. As emotion_name says, there is still room for players to join.

For now only the first battle has been fought - repelling an invading army at the border.
    Here is the battle report

This report is composed by Nakahama Ichi, assistent and aide de camp of Takeda Nobushige, to report the first battle of the honourable clan of the Takeda in thier war against the Shinano lords.

The army of Takeda Nobushige approached the enemies army full of confidence in the superior quality of their soldiers. Reports have revealed that the Murakami army consisted of 2 Yari Ashigaru and 1 Bow Ashigaru led by 1 Light Cavalry, while Nobushiga had 1 regiment of Yari Samurai under his command and the additional support of his own bodyguard.

However, when we approached the enemy we saw that he had the advantage of the terrain and controlled the highest hill in the area.

Nobushige realized that an attacking battle would be inevitable and decided that the best route would be along the West flank, where we could try to use the cover of the woods and climb the hill at the smallest incline.

When we had reached the edge of the forest West of the hill, the Murakami Tashio must have anticipated our move and decided that his best option to counter would be to give up the hill and take position in the foothill forest himself.

At this point we could not see the hidden troops - only the light cavalry. We knew that they had to be there, but had no idea how they were positioned. So Nobushige decided to deploy his cavalry on the left flank. Then he odered his troops to advance, moving the yari ahad of the archers and himself following closely behind.

The cavalry had been kept at the far left in an attempt to keep them out of the forest. When we approached the forest, we took the first casulties from the enemy archers. Then we could see that his archers were positoned against our Yari Ashigaru, while our Yari Samurai were facing one of the two Murakami yari and the horsemen faced each other.

Seizing the opportunity our Yari Ashigaru charged the archers while the Yari Samurai moved ahead slowly to block the enemy spearmen. This was aginst the advice of the Commisioner fo Warfare, who had recommended to use the horsemen against the archers, but it turned to our advantge in this battle.

Due to their staggered position our Yari Samurai managed to envelope the flank of the enemy yari, threatening their flank and at the same time keeping them well away from our cavalry unit, who now engaged the enemy horsemen.

Nobushige himself moved close to the cavalry battle, inspiring and motivaing his men. With the encouragement and knowing the eyes of their Tashio resting on them, the men fought with exceptional strength and vigor and soon began to gain the upper hand. It was then that Nobishige saw that it would only take a last final push to break the enemie's morale. He spurred his horse, motioned his bodyguard and charged the flank of the enemy horsemen.

This was too much for the Murakami soldiers. When their cavalry began to flee, the other troop turned heel and followed them. The men were so shattered that they did not dare to re-group after the battle, but abandoned the banner of their army and dispersed in the countryside. The Murakami Invasion had ended in a crushing defeat and a honourful victory for the Takeda clan.

And here is the situation of the Takeda border after the battle

After our victory I (Takeda Nobushige) reviewed the situation. Our regiments had gained much honour and experience. But the Yari troops had suffered heavy losses - Samurai and Ashigaru alike. So I decided to leave them in our province at the border and scouted into the enemy territory with my own bodyguard and the cavalry regiment alone.

We got as far as to the edge of a forest close to the Murakami castle town. This whole area appeared free from enemy troops. Then we returned to our infantery and spent the remainder of the season tending their wounds and finding new recruits to replenish our ranks.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-22-2011 at 16:33.

I was unable come within the time that i mentioned, darn, there are lots of delays in getting the game, i hope i will get it tomorrow. Is there a spot left?

yeah, there is spots left fella!

As i said before, a son is about to come of age (still :D ) and there is also one Commissioner role available - Commissioner of Espionage!

Out of curiosity, i DL the new sengoku Jidai unit pack, which adds units to the sp campaign also. Will it effect the save game we are using does anyone know? (save game was made before i got dlc, weeks ago, not sure if other players have it so unsure of any complications we may face)!

Some help would be appreciated here if anyone has an idea of what to expect!
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

I think that if we want to use that unit pack, then all those who are playing must download it and use it to avoid any complications. Still there can be some issues, but if we are gonna use it, i suggest keeping a backup save ready in case things get messed up

well, the save was made before i got the unit pack! Now, im unsure who has it and who doesnt, and what issues it could raise as a result!
    TEN WELSH COMMANDMENTS

THOU SHALL;

if you want, you can test it out by informing the other players to install the unit pack, then play their turns for 1 turn. (After taking backup save ofc). See if you have any trouble with the save. If you do, you can roll back to your previous save, if not you can continue with the new packs :p

P.S: Im going to get the game by today , I will test run and see whether my system can handle it. If its ok, I will join it.

EDIT: Got the Game, installing it right now I hope my system runs it well

my pc gets reboot whenever i open S2TW. Isnt that great? Imao
    Last edited by ArcturUs; 07-31-2011 at 16:01.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Oh, that is a real pitty.

Maybe ask some of our Tech Admins if they can help you. They are quite knowledgable.
    Tell me if you have difficulty finding one and I can point out your problem to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Oh, that is a real pitty.

Maybe ask some of our Tech Admins if they can help you. They are quite knowledgable.
    Tell me if you have difficulty finding one and I can point out your problem to them.
    I would like to know who would help me out with problems like these

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

The Apothecary is the place to ask for game technical support.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana