Thread: Temples and realism

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Default Temples and realism

HI! I've got a question about religious building during the EB era:
    Isn't it a little inaccurate to have different buildings for different gods? There was afaik whorshipping for more than one god in ONE temple/grove/whatever.
    Cheers

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Temples and realism

Temples in EB don't represent just the buildings. Obviously a city of any importance would have multiple temples to various deities. Rather, they represent the city adopting a patron deity, who gets a conspicuous temple in an important place. Also, too my knowledge most temples tended to be dedicated to a single god.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Default Re: Temples and realism

Thank you for your exlpanation, but I knew that a temple represents more than just one building.
    My question should rather be: Is it historical, that every settlement chooses one patron deity?
    I actually build only temples which give bonuses on money or in some towns troop exp. Why do build other temples?

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Temples and realism

I am not an expert, but it my impression that most important towns had a "primary" temple, so it's accurate in a way.

As for temple choice, I usually role-play which temple gets built. It's true that some temples are redundant next to orders, but don't dismiss law and growth bonuses: they can be useful in certain conditions. It should also be noted that temple types affect character traits. For example, the popularis trait necessary for the Marian reforms can be obtained by being a worshipper of Ceres.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Hope I do not incur the wrath of my fellow team mates, when I let you know...

... that temples are going to be done rather differently in EB2 ...
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-22-2008 at 18:55.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Partly we chose to keep the RTW system so we could talk about individual gods, which is far easier to do and more interesting than talk about complete religious systems for each faction. In EBII we plan to do both. Such are the lessons we've learnt in the making of EBI.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Cities and settlements, much more often than not, had a "patron" deity. That doesn't mean they didn't worship other gods: then it wouldn't be polytheism

well yeah, like in Athens, the patron Goddess was Athena. It was quite common practice for a city to be devoted to a god or another. The building that you create in the game can simply be representative of the main temple within the city.