Thread: EB 1.1 Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EB 1.1 Maps

There have been a number of questions which in some way or another required an updated EB maps thread. (The old one dates back to the days of 0.7x.) So, here's an EB 1.1 list of 'FAQ hidden resource maps' -- with a short description of what the thing is (supposedly) used for. These maps should cover the gaps left by the building trees.

Click the thumbnails for full size images.

Part I : Hidden Resources

Reformed Governments for Pahlava and Hayasdan

• Pahlavahome (required for reformed pastoralism (?) and the transition into the reformed Parthian governments)

• Persia (required for the Orontid reforms and the transition into the reformed governments (?) )

Everything regarding ports

• Gallicport (required for some unique ship types (?) )

• Smallfleet (required for the lowest level of naval ports)

• Navyport (required for any higher level naval port)

• Tradeport (required for higher levels of natural harbours, and for the highest level of man-made ones too)

• Bigport (required for the highest level of natural harbour)

• River (required for river ports)

Nomadic Governments

• Nomad (forces nomadic factions to retain nomadism as the dominant way of life in a region)

• Mixed (allows nomads to choose either pastoralism or nomadism as the dominant way of life in a region)

Other useful maps

• Desert (required for desert irrigation, prevents normal estates?)

• Noroads (prevents roads from being built)

• Italy (regions which can trigger the March Of Time -- or was it Progress? -- which also requires the culture of the 'triggering' faction to be roman (?) )

• Anything I forgot?

Part II : Disasters

Eartquakes

Floods

• By default this is disabled in the standard descr_disasters.txt file in your \EB\data\world\maps\base\ folder; as floods may cause certain bugs among them permanent flooded territory (hey Atlantis!) and permanent movement penalties. Also, floods have been reported at sea (though we hope to have that one sorted out with 1.1 as it turned out some of the 'loci' were accidentally placed in The Sea region).
      Nevertheless, these floods are defined in the special 'use at your own risk' descr_disasters_floods.txt file in the same folder. These are the 'loci' as defined in this text file:

Plagues

• Plagues may occur in regions/cities regardless of whether these have been assigned in descr_disasters.txt; as plagues may be triggered by a combination of high squalor levels and poor health levels in your settlements.
      However the 'loci' as defined here do have an additional risk of catching the plague. You will notice that they are (mostly) located along the great trade routes on the map:

Volcanoes

• Note that these represent the active volcanoes only, and that there are inactive ones located on the campaign map as well.

Part III : Resources

Mines

• Gold (Large Vein Precious metals)
    • Silver (Small Vein Precious metals)

Update: getting the tool

This section is an update to reflect that as of today you can download the tool from our FTP server.
    Please note that the download consists of a single Gzip'ed TAR archive (tarball); to extract its contents a program such as 7zip (or tar) will be required. The download contains:

1. Java source code (you will need a Java 1.6 or compatible JDK to compile from source),
    2. A readme
    3. A COPYRIGHT file containing the licence
    4. a regions PNG file which dates to EB 1.1. If you need a newer regions file or wish to use the tool to inspect a different mod you must prepare a PNG copy of the corresponding MAP_REGIONS.tga file.
    5. An executable JAR file (you will need a Java 1.6 or compatible JRE to run the program). Depending on your OS you may have to grant execute permissions on the file.

You can download the Java JDK/JRE versions from here: http://www.java.com/en/

Finally, the tool is released under the following licence:

Copyright (c) 2010, The Europa Barbarorum Team
    All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * Neither the name of The Europa Barbarorum Team nor the
    names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
    ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
    DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL The Europa Barbarorum Team BE LIABLE FOR ANY
    DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
    (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
    LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
    ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
    SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
    You can download the program from here: ftp://ftp@europabarbarorum.org/DRViewer.tar.gz
    It is approximately 410KB in size.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 05-05-2010 at 20:09. Reason: Added Part 3; Mines
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: EB 1.1 Maps

Very nice Tellos.

One should definitely add that only Rome can trigger the March of Time. Are the required cities built up to huge by a different faction than Rome the March of Time won't happen and therefore the Vanilla Marians won't happen, which means no Hysteroi Pezhetairoi and no Late Bodyguards.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-25-2008 at 03:03.

Default Re: AW: EB 1.1 Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Very nice Tellos.

One should definitely add that only Rome can trigger the March of Time. Are the required cities built up to huge by a different faction than Rome the March of Time won't happen and therefore the Vanilla Marians won't happen, which means no Hysteroi Pezhetairoi and no Late Bodyguards.
    So what if another faction builds up the city then gives it to the Romans?
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Default Re: EB 1.1 Maps

Those maps are F'ing sweet.
    "I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -Hamlet, II, ii

"Historians and others attempt to pin the tail on the reluctant monkey of change." -excerpt from a real college essay, from Ignorance is Blitz by Anders Henriksson

Default AW: Re: AW: EB 1.1 Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    So what if another faction builds up the city then gives it to the Romans?
    Then no Hysteroi. Nada rien überhaupt nichts.

Very nice Tellos.

Why is that? As you know, Romani is in EB the vanilla Seleucids, and the trio of EB Seleucids, Pahlava and Baktria make the vanilla roman factions. In that light it is little weird, at least to me, that only Romans can trigger the march of time...
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Hmm, can the RV be updated? I'm not able to build any Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi as Epeiros in Serdike, Tylis and Kallatis O_O.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: AW: EB 1.1 Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma
    Why is that? As you know, Romani is in EB the vanilla Seleucids, and the trio of EB Seleucids, Pahlava and Baktria make the vanilla roman factions. In that light it is little weird, at least to me, that only Romans can trigger the march of time...
    It's linked to the Roman culture slot, not the Roman faction.

Thanks for the maps, BT!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Gallicport (what's it used for?)
    I think the Pontones Trevas.
    Unit description says they were specific to the Veneti of Armorica who Caesar fought.
    As Aedui in Tolosa I can build only Pontomora Trevas & Ponto Trevas but I also get the Pontones Trevas up there in Dariotorum.

Thanks for updated maps :)
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Very nice Tellos.

I am not too sure of that. As P. Ruma pointed out: the Romani in EB are actually the Seleucid faction - and they for sure can trigger the thing. (Seen it happening myself.) Other than that, the internal roman factions are the Saba, AS, Hayasdan and Baktria. So, me is confused.

-----------------

EDIT: Update post 1 with the various notes: thanks to Hoom, Ludens and Centurio N. for their feedback.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-25-2008 at 17:19.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I'm going to move and sticky this in gameplay guides subforum. That way it will be stickied, but not on the already clustered main forum...

Ok, done.
    And here is the old map thread just in case anyone need to find it, which I'm going to unstick:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58963
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 04-25-2008 at 20:04.

Very nice Tellos.

What if I give a Huge city back to the Romans? Or do they have to make it Huge on their own?

No Hysteroi is becoming a problem in my Mak campaign.
    God is unaware of its existence. It doesn't think, it just is.

Default AW: Re: AW: EB 1.1 Maps

Quote Originally Posted by polluxlm
    What if I give a Huge city back to the Romans? Or do they have to make it Huge on their own?

No Hysteroi is becoming a problem in my Mak campaign.
    No, the Imperial Palace which makes a city officially huge, must be of Roman culture. Since only SPQR is of Roman culture, only they can trigger the March of Time, sorry.

One should definitely wait until the March of Time has happened before attacking SPQR.

Updated:
    Added a part about disasters in EB 1.1 too.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB 1.1 Maps

Thank you. Shouldn't you post this at the TWC as well?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

It took me a while to create the requested map, but at long last there it is (bottom entry in the list about all the ports).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trying to launch SUN's Java Runtime Enviroment v6 *with* arguments to your program is a pain in Ubuntu; I eventually resorted to creating an alias for the rather cumbersome command to invoke the JRE... <_<
    - Tellos Athenaios

Thank you for the fast reply!

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you faced, but hope they are solved now.
    Last edited by Puupertti Ruma; 08-16-2008 at 09:28. Reason: fixed a smiley
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Meh I would have had to do it [the aliasing] anyways.
    Or:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --configure java
    - Tellos Athenaios