Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Assorted Historical Questions - Gertrude et al, ask them here!

Default Re: Assorted Historical Questions - Gertrude et al, ask them here!

I'm playing as Pahlava. What is the unit composition of a historically accurate army?

EB Concept Artist Member fenix3279's Avatar

Your best chance would be to ask TPC (The Persian Cataphract). If anyone can tell you, it's him. Others might be able to share their knowledge as well. I, however, know absolutely NOTHING about nomadic factions
    Last edited by fenix3279; 09-10-2008 at 04:01.
    My balloon collection

That which does not kill me makes me stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

When you smoke the herb, it reveals to yourself ~ Bob Marley

A Carrhae-like army should be 9 Horse Archer and 1 Kataphract

Infantry? Who cares about a bunch of peasants!
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by Gazius View Post
    Could someone tell me about amphiktiony? I find it used in relation to Delphi, but I can't actually find much useful information about it except that it had some sort of democratic function. Is it part of the oracle? Was it a system used by other oracles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphictyonic_League

This may be a really stupid question, but how do you build ships as the Casse? I have united the British isles, but I disbanded by initial fleet, and now I can only build trading ports.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

You can only build ships in two provinces on the british isles. Ictis and the southern ireland province. There is a separate building to the main port building that you must build to recruit ships.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by penguinking View Post
    This may be a really stupid question, but how do you build ships as the Casse? I have united the British isles, but I disbanded by initial fleet, and now I can only build trading ports.
    It's not a historical question, that's for sure.
    You need a naval port to build ships. Provinces where you can build naval ports on the British Isles are Erain and Cornovae.
    Maps with all naval port information can be found here:https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102719

Oh, whoops. Sorry, but thanks for the answer. I can rephrase it :

Historically, in what territories did the Casse build warships?
    Last edited by penguinking; 09-10-2008 at 23:45. Reason: I wanted to.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinking View Post
    Oh, whoops. Sorry, but thanks for the answer. I can rephrase it :

Historically, in what territories did the Casse build warships?
    Personally, I only know of two likely places (mainly because I've not researched Celtic naval info...ever ), and these are places that EB already has.

The reason that the province of southern Ireland and Ictis can build warships is due to Veneti (theres that name again ) seafaring abilities. I've mentioned this here before somewhere but Caesar mentions the Veneti receiving help and reinforcements from across the sea. This probably points to Veneti settlements, garrisons, and or outposts of some kind in Cornwall or in southern England somewhere. In southern Ireland a tribe called the Venii, who are thought to have been a branch of the Veneti and the Venelli, resided and to dominate much of southern Ireland in the A.D. period.

So these are, in part, the reasons why warships, and large ports, are built in those two places. The Veneti had a great fleet; the most powerful in all of Gaul. I have a picture of a coin showing a Gallic boat here to give an abstract idea what they might have looked like in Caesar's time. Notice the dragon head/Viking look to them. Interesting:

Something else interesting is the trade route used. The Romans controlled most of the trade through The Province (obviously) and up the Garonne river (in Aquitania). The Pictones, I've read, held a stake in this trade as well as it went through their area. From the Garonne, trade could set sail from there and it would arrive in Quiberon Bay, in Brittany. Here the Veneti took control of the Trade. Trade goods at this point would go north overland, or set sail around Brittany and much of it would arrive in the area of the Coriosoltes before being sailed to Britain:

This tribe, and no doubt others, would ferry everything to modern day Hengistbury Head (where an important point of entry was found), and, the uncovering of other revealing items in the general region. Kent, and areas of the Thames Valley, feature cremation burials and continental style pots and Roman amphorae. Tin seemed to be among the most valuable naval exports while wine (from the numbers of amphorae found) was a big import from southern Gaul and Rome.

But all evidence aside, if you wanted to control all this naval trade and wealth, you'd need a big time navy to protect it. The Veneti 'Empire' in Gaul and across the sea would have been defended and expanded due to their powerful fleet and their ports
    Last edited by Power2the1; 09-11-2008 at 01:24.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213