Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stories Thread

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Stories Thread

Stories of the Byzantine Empire

This thread is for all in-character stories, except for Battle Reports, which have their own thread. Any post in this thread which is not an IC story will be moved or deleted.

Note: If your story involves interaction with another player's avatar or otherwise intrudes into an IC area that another player would be expected to have creative control over, you must get the permission of that player before posting your story.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stories Thread

On Power

Our Catholic brothers, having only so recently split from the True Word, have long held the idea of the seven, cardinal sins of which there is little hope for salvation once they have been committed to an excess. However, in laying out these deeds in hopes that the masses will refrain from executing them, they have missed the overarching goal and desire that binds them all; the very same that I write about now.

All seven, directly or indirectly, all relate to power and the human drive to gain as much of it as possible in order to enrich their earthly existence. The notable four, and potentially most dangerous, most directly relate to this concept, and this is most certainly not coincidental. Greed and lust both are the desire for more material objects, those that have no spiritual benefit. Whether this be money, property, or even women, all are on a higher level the same object: a mechanism to increase the amount of power that one holds. Envy applies to those who have not obtained the level of standing that they so desire, and as a result they are jealous at those who are more powerful than them. The envious are always the most desirous of the great human goal, and as a result are most in danger of branching off from the correct path. Finally, there is pride, the worst of them all, and the one that naturally connects to power the most. The proud are most satisfied with their temporal, and thus ultimately meaningless, position. Being so proud, they are always on the hunt to fuel this insatiable hunger, and the desire for power grows as a result. The Prince of Lies himself lives in his current residence due to a desire to supplant the Lord God as Master of Heaven.

Having established power’s threat to a good, just, and devout society we now move to its unfortunate presence here on Earth, and alas! it is all too prevalent. It is found in all facets of our society; as a matter of fact it is the basis for it. Those who are deemed most successful and are named role models in society have all pursued power and were successful in that pursuit. A Dux may have a number of Domestiki under him, all vying for land and recognition and potentially even successorship in lieu of more worthy pursuits such as improving life for the needy or devoting one’s self to the Lord and Christ.

This unfortunate quest is all too present in our world, from a child seeking additional attention from his parents at the expense of his siblings, to a man on the hunt for sport – he does not require the game to survive, but merely seeks to exhibit control and dominion over God’s lesser creatures – to even the Basileus himself declaring war on a neighboring land.

Society is based upon power, yes, but it can also be ruined by it. That is power’s ultimate trap: Not only are you spiritually doomed by it, but you can be temporally ruined by it as well. It has the potential to be humankind’s complete undoing.

There is a bulwark against the menace, however. Over a thousand years after the death and resurrection of Christ a great many still exist preaching his Word and devoting their lives to Him. They are little concerned with such paltry, unimportant desires such as the acquisition for power, for they realize that in the end, it is insignificant when compared with a brief lifetime of servitude with an eternal reward. These noble servants do not seek thanks or even acknowledgement, only the allowance to continue doing their deeds and the chance to convert the unsaved.

The great problem, however, is that on this world, nothing lasts forever. Opinions and ideas can change over the great wheel of time. And while the great specter of power is checked by the one figure of whom there is no surpassing (God), this too can change. The Lord cannot be surpassed, but He can be ignored. The great masses can turn elsewhere, and then there will be nothing to check their desires. And when that happens, humankind will truly be doomed, for what will there be to stop them from destroying each other in an effort to claim everything? I have no answer to this question, for I do not believe there is one. The people, from peasant to Patriarch, must remain cautious and careful; for if they are not then power will be everyone’s undoing.

Theofilos Christos, Orthodox priest
    Passed over for promotion to Patriarch, 1076
    Executed 1078 by Hungarian bandits
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos sits in his favorite spot. On a sandy beach on Cyprus's far east edge, there is an area that strangely has a couple of armed militia. It is Makedonios's spot for prayer and meditation. Looking out towards the sea, the young noble listens to the birds in the trees above him, as well as the sound of the waves hitting the shore.

A veteran of Manzikert, Makedonios looks out towards the east every day and thinks about that terrible battle. The Turks were like the waves that crash down on this very beach. Only sixteen at the time, the young noble was but a squire. His knight was cut down and the young boy had to grab his weapons and armor and help hold the line. Though they lost the day, they had bought time for a large part of the army to withdrawl.

The east. Full of wonder and dangers. Site of the Holy Places. Makedonios's eyes narrowed. The Holy Places belonged in Byzantine custody. And the land needed to hear the words of Orthodoxy. But doing so would require putting himself in the way of that wave once again. For ten years Makedonios had planned for this moment. He glanced over at the pile of letters that had been coming in day and night for the past week.

Once he had been given Cyprus, he had a base of operations. Then it was just a matter of finding like minded men who shared his vision. The young noble's heart lept when he found that many men did think as he did. Now it would just be a matter of leading them and forming something that would stand the test of time.

A small moment of doubt crept into his head. Was I worthy to lead such good men into certain danger? The area he was sitting in became calm. Only the wind and waves could be heard. Makedonios knew he had found his answer. The Lord would give him strength as he did on that fateful morning at Manzikert.

A servant walked up past the guards. "My lord, sorry to disturb you but it is time to go to Constantinople."

Makedonios nodded at the man. The servant left and the young noble sat for a moment thinking about what he next had to do. His mind made up, he rose, gave one last look out towards the east, and walked towards his horse.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 05-30-2008 at 15:01.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Having just ridden from Thessalonika, Methodios sat his horse on a hill overlooking the greatest city of mankind, Constantinople. The rays of the sun made the domes of the numerous basilikas glitter like so many diamonds, the most blinding the great dome of the Hagia Sophia.

Constantinople, the city that gave him life and made him a man.

"I would do anything to protect the city" he mused, his fist tightening on his horse's reins as his thoughts moved to the numerous enemies that had their eyes on such a priceless jewel...

The glitter on the domes brought him back to that fateful day, ten years earlier where in the marches of the Empire, he had marched with Joseph Tarchaneiotes, one of the young squire in the great general's retinue, the sun catching on the helmets and spear-points and sending back almost blinding rays into the men's eyes.

They had marched through the Armenian mountains hoping to find the main body of the Turkish army, only to get lost while their comrades were getting slaughtered at Manzikert, fighting those same Turks that eluded them.

So much had happened since then... Neither Tarchaneiotes nor any of his men had ever reappeared... Hopefully no one remembered that he had been part of the expedition... He was no-one at that time... "Nobody will remember me", he hoped.

Since then, he had made use of the skills gained in the shadow of such a great general to become a man of valour, someone who the powers that be could call whenever there was need for someone to lead an army in a field or a siege...

"Without land, without money, there was not much for me to do but put my sword for hire", he thought."I am no better than a mercenary... Now I have been called to sit in the Senate and I hope that I will be able to serve the Empire to the best of my abilities."

Spurring his horse forward, Methodios led him on the slow descending road towards the gates of the city, his small retinue following in his wake.
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 05-30-2008 at 15:51.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Kantakouzinos residence in Constantinopol,

While the hot mid summer sun scorches the walls and buildings of the great city of Constantinopole, forcing the ordinary people to seek refuge from a shade beneath the scorching sun. Ioannis Kantakouzinos sits on a large wooden bench inside the Kantakouzinos residence in Constantinopole. In the large room without windows, which denies sun light to light its shine upon it. Ioannis sits in a flacid light of torches and candles, which are set around the room. His glance moves through the room moving from shield to shield, from armor to armor and from flag to another flag of his family.
    For several days he has been waiting answers to several messages, but none have arrived.

"What should i think of this silence?Is it bad or good omen? I have been waiting patiently, but do i have to wait forever, if i dont do something which will give me answers. I see all these mighty arms and emblems of my family, a family which originates from the same family as the Imperial Comnenus family. How i can make my forefathers proud and raise my family to a status it deserves. How can i achieve that..."

The young Kantakouzinos remains in the room, pondering his options and planning strategy from each possible situation. While in the outside the scorching mid day sun is turning to more tender sun of early evening, making the ordinary man´s life bit easier, while the noble one gets no peace from his dreams, fears and ambitions.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 05-30-2008 at 15:48.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

Encounters at the Mavrozomis estate, Part I: The Meddling Princess

I, Anna Komnenos, entered the world on the year 6568 by way of two royal personas, Aleksios and Irene, and unto troubled times. Born and bred in purple, I have been groomed for a life I could only truly understand once I had reach a certain maturity. I was schooled beyond the average paideia and as such, became well versed in rethoric and carried my study of letters and Greek to the highest standards. Neither had I neglected the subjects of science, mathematics and history, the latter becoming my calling in my later years. In supplement, I perused the works of the ancient poets, refusing to heed my parents' concern over knowledge they thought was unbecoming of one such as I, due to my station. I reveal my scholary endeavors, not to brag, but so that you, my reader, may better understand my situation and my life exposed through this work. As previously mentionned, I was expected to fulfill a number of responsabilities and in the words of a philosopher; « education is the best provision for the journey to old age. »

- Memoirs of Anna Komnenos

The streets of Konstantinopolis were bustling with activity under the afternoon sun, nevertheless Anna's progress was not hindered by the rabble. Like a ship cutting through the sea, all made way for her litter and retinue. Hardly paying attention to her surroundings and shroudded by the litter's curtain, she reflected upon her intended destination.

Kosmas Mavrozomis was not someone others would expect her to visit, in fact she had barely heard of the man until recently. Whispered rumors and hearsay had brought him to her attention. Apparently, her brother, Ioannis, was spending a great deal of time with this man and not knowing what her sibling was up to unsettled her. Even if he had been adopted into her family recently, she had no reason to approach such a lowly character. By a lucky coincidence, word had reached her that he had acquiered quite a collection of ancient texts over the years. Anna had also learned, to her surpise, that he openly invited anyone who would like to peruse the words of the Ancients at his estate. Seeing an opportunity, she had beckoned a runner to announce her upcoming arrival to the Mavrozomis estate and had left the Imperial Palace soon after.

Her thoughts drifter to her brother and more importantly about figuring what he was up to. Ioannis' association to this man boggled her mind. At first, she had discounted what she had heard as mere rumors without a hint of veracity and yet what little sources she had outside the Palace had confirmed the information.How irritating he was proving to be! Making her seek scraps of information like some beggar. Then again, if her brother was scheming some plot and she should happen to find out, this trip would profit her very much.

Just as Anna was getting bored, her litted halted. She peered cautiously through the litter's curtain, as if some unseen danger was lurking on the other side. The estate was suprisingly opulent, its architecture mimicking the pinnacle of Greek civilisation. Its garden, well kept and brimming with colors interweaved in a multitute of bright patterns, led to an ornate fountain, behind which laid what she presumed would be the entrance. Anna took in the sight and found herself unimpressed, after growing up in the Imperial Palace, it would take more than the rich garden of an upstart noble to move her.

The litter had now reached the ground and attendants scrurried to Anna's side. Swifty the curtains were fully pushed aside and a hand helped her up. She took only one step before stopping, feeling her entourage ready to follow her. A motion of her hand promptly dissuaded them from following that course of action and she made her way to the fountain, alone. There was not need to invite prying ears to follow her.

Anna was halfway to the fountain when a man, apparently a servant, rushed out to meet her. Her veil hid her amusement at the man's proternations, fear rendering him incapable of blurting out more than a few jumbled words. This was not the greeting she had expected, but she was in a forgiving mood on this day. Wasting no words on the pitiful man, she sidestepped him and continued passed the fountain. The man finally caught up to her as she crossed the estate's threshold, beckoning her to follow him.

Paying little heed to the place's decorum, Anna followed the servant as a silent specter haunting its choice victim.In a short time they reached the gate that seperated her from the answers she sought and in a fit of impatience, she burst through the doors, giving no time to the servant to announce her. Mutely, she gazed at the impressive library her host had assembled and for once, she found herself impressed.

Before a word could be uttered, Anna removed the veil covering her face, revealing her features at last. Her face was a perfect circle, with eyebrows arched as a rainbow. Her well proportioned eyes were not jumping about, nor crossed and sluggish, but they were nimble enough to follow every movement around her, and steady at most times. Her nose pointed straight towards her lips, which were harmonious and the color of roses. Her complexion was pale like wool, but her cheekbones carried the redness of the rose into old age. For this visit she had chosen to wear a brocaded silk tunica with a geometric pattern under the traditional semi-circular mantle edged with gold and gems. Its colors, ranging from a light pink to a pastel of greens and yellows, contrasted sharply with her dark hair, worn at shoulder lenght. Truly, she was without a doubt a model of imperial beauty.

Not letting a hint of emotion course throught her features, Anna patiently waited for Kosmas to make the first move.
    Last edited by TheFlax; 05-31-2008 at 14:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

Basileus,

I have investigated the true nature of the recent happenings in Thessalonica as you have ordered. It is true that there was a pirate raid on the city, but its size has been exaggerated in most reports that have reached Constantinople. However, I regret to inform you that the rumors of the death of Comes Angelos Khristophorides are indeed true. The good news is that the city is in good order, and currently under the administration of one Markianos Ampelas, whom I shall recommend you name the next Comes for Thessalonica for reasons that shall be clear by the end of my report. I will now describe the events that occurred, as best as I was able to reconstruct them from witness accounts.

The raid happened on October 16, 1080. A single pirate ship, whose origin I was unable to determine (the descriptions varied) entered the port around two hours after sunrise, disguised as a merchant ship. The pirates, of whom there was most likely between twenty and thirty, left their ship at the docks and advanced a short distance up the street to the market. They left two of their comrades to guard the ship. At the market, they began to seize any merchandise they thought valuable, as well as money. They also seized women, and collected them at one end of the market area along with the loot, guarded by several of the pirates.

A mob of the citizens began to gather, but were ordered to disperse when the Comes arrived with the city militia. They did so, if reluctantly. The Comes attempted to negotiate with the pirates, and they entertained the idea for some time, but eventually, the pirate leader grew angry and attacked the Comes, killing him. A skirmish then erupted between the pirates and the militia, who, I regret to report, were ill-prepared for the encounter and were quickly dispersed. The mob of citizenry again began to gather, and as they were rather numerous, the pirates grew nervous, and decided to take the loot they had already and carry it to their ship.

However, upon arriving back at the dock, they found that their two ship-guarding comrades had been slain, and that a Greek had unmoored their ship, which had floated away some distance into the harbor. This Greek was the previously mentioned Markianos Ampelas. He was on their ship, swinging with an axe, apparently trying to cut a hole below the waterline. Several of the pirates jumped into the water and began to swim towards the ship, while the rest stayed on the shore to guard their loot. One of the pirates was a much faster swimmer than the others, and when he arrived at the ship he was alone. He boarded the ship and fought with Ampelas. The witness accounts differ somewhat at this point, and some seem grossly exaggerated, but it is certain that the pirate was killed and that Ampelas received several cuts to the chest and arms (those I have seen). The second pirate was cut down as he was boarding the ship, and by the time the third pirate had arrived, Ampelas had jumped into the water, and swam away.

However, the pirates did not follow, for their ship had started to take on water. They worked to try to empty the water and repair the damage, but after about a quarter of an hour, the ship began to sink and was abandoned. The pirates now found themselves between the sea and a very angry mob. Witness accounts begin to lack detail at this point, but I did not find one pirate who had been taken prisoner.

Upon recovering from his wounds, this Markianos Ampelas took it upon himself to retrain the city's militia, but was soon given charge of all the administrative tasks by the city leaders. He enjoys wide support in the city, and appointing him as Comes will be the best way to maintain order in the city, the citizens of which are currently not too happy about the inability of the Imperial Navy to protect them from pirates and the incompetence of the previously appointed leadership and its militia.

Your servant,
    <signature illegible>
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

((Written in collaboration with Zim and Deguerra))

Encounters at the Mavrozomis estate, Part II: The Comes scholar

The room was sparsely furnished otherwise, with a plain hardwood floor, strongly worn in one section in the shape of an oval, presumably from the owner’s constant pacing. In the center of the room Anna could see a large table, haphazardly covered with scrolls and books. There were several chairs at the table, with Comes Kosmas in the center one. Kosmas was a man of medium height and nondescript appearance. He was thin but not extraordinarily so, had dark brown hair, brown eyes that were always half-lidded as if he had not slept well, and a complexion just dark enough to hint of ancestry from the days of Alexander’s campaigns when Hellenes ranged far to the east. He had an odd tendency to drum his fingers on tables and desks, which habit he was currently indulging himself in, and almost always seemed to smile halfway, without showing his teeth. It was one of these smiles he showed to the Princess as he stood up and bowed.

“Princess, forgive me for this mess” Kosmas exclaimed as he hurriedly attempts to clear off a spot on the table. “I was comparing a few copies of a contemporary biography of Epaminondas. There are some discrepancies in more modern biographies of him I wish to...” Kosmas fell silent abruptly. Although her face remained unreadable, he realized the minutia of how mistakes slowly crept into copies of ancient texts was probably not of interest to Anna. He bows again and changes the subject. “Please sit down. I understand I may have a manuscript you have been looking for?” Kosmas drummed his fingers nervously as he awaited a response.

Anna glided to his table, she faltered for an instant as she neared him, her gaze drawn to the scrolls lying haphazardly on it. Regaining her senses, she focused on the Comes and arched an eyebrow inquisitively. "Did you not expect me? Perhaps my runner did not reach you?" She let the last question hang in the air with a hint of an accusation.

Kosmas looked up languidly at the Princess, his expression surprisingly impassive. The tapping of his fingers against the table ceased immediately, and he actually seemed calmer than before he was confronted. “I did receive your runner a little while ago, but allowed myself to get distracted by a particularly engrossing section of text. I will not make that mistake again.” Kosmas smiled again.

“Now, how may I help you, Princess?”

Her attention now solely on the multitude of scrolls in front of her, Anna replied calmly. "I was told you might have some commentaries on Aristotle's works, dating from before fifty-sixth century."

Kosmas walks over to one of the bookshelves behind him and starts sifting through scrolls. “I believe I have a few from that century. Was there one in particular you were looking for?”

"Do you have the one by Euphaxis? I've never had the pleasure of reading it, although several scholars have told me it is quite enlightening."

“That is a good one. Let me see…” Kosmas pulls two scrolls from the shelf. “I have two copies. One is contemporary but sadly missing parts, and the other is a more complete copy from later in the same century.”

"I would very much like to compare them." Her tone left little place for denial.

She certainly knows what she wants. Ah well, I can easily part with these manuscripts for now. Kosmas smiles pleasantly, as if he would like nothing better than to lend them both. He walks over to the Princess and hands them to her. "I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. I find them to be one of the best commentaries of Aristotle, specifically the section on The Politics. It's quite unfortunate that not many copies have survived.”

"Rest assured, they are in good hands." She gave him a disarming smile as she reached for the scrolls handed to her. Once they were in her possession, she wheeled around and gently made her way towards the exit. Yet, after a few steps she seemed to have reconsidered, as she turned to face the Comes once more. Seeming to have forgotten something, Anna addressed him in her most innocent voice.

"There was also something else. I was wondering... Does my brother keeps your company out of literary interest?"

Before Kosmas could open his mouth, a quiet but icy voice out of the shadow of a bookcase to their right answered: "And you, Anna, are you truly here to learn more of Aristotle? From what I hear, your knowledge of the old texts is nigh unrivalled in the city."

Nicaea, April, 1081

The streets of the city were crowded, as the populace digested the news from the capital. Everywhere the arms of the Komneni and Dukai families were displayed, as the news spread that once again there was a Komneni on the throne.

A few half-hearted riots had been speedily dealt with, and the corpses had already been carried away.

The city had only recently been retaken for the third time from the Seljuks of Rum. The marks of war were evident throughout the city, which had suffered badly from successive sieges.

Ioannis Komnenos, now Caesar of the Romans, was just leaving the Church of the Dormition, which was being repaired, after its desecration at the hands of the Turks.

As he mounted and rode back towards the imperial palace, he turned to the captain of the escort.

"Justin, you have served me well these past 5 years. Caesar is not ungrateful. You shall command the garrison of Nicaea. Let us march!"

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Corinth 1080

There was plenty of activity in the settlement has the coaches prepared for the long trip to the capital.
    Aleksios ek Ikoniou was a young man now in charge of his family holdings. He was becoming a budding bureaucrat reorganizing the defences and planning the growth of the settlement. He was preparing to leave for Constantinople and participate in his first official Senate of the Imperial government. Politics was not his forte he was not looking forward to the long debates and the senators jockeying for position to peddle their influence and favours.

No he was no politician he was a fighter. His family had long been military men fighting for the Crown. He was to continue on with the tradition defending the Emperor and building a military organization with in the Empire that will consist of men and elite units. He admired the Hellenic traditions and the Spartans of old. He will continue with the traditions knowing that a loyal and aspiring commander needs to be rewarded and what better way then to offer the lands that are conquered. A man will fight for his life to defend what he rightly owns.

Yes it was time to go. Aleksios will head to the capital declare his fealty to the Emperor and then recruit men and begin his campaign to expand the Empire to right wrongs and free peoples being repressed by pretend Empires.
    "We will be back in Italy someday and beyond" he thought smiling at the possibilities.

The Governor and his entourage were ready for Constantinople.

((Written in collaboration with Zim, Deguerra and Elite Ferret.))

Encounters at the Mavrozomis estate, Part III: Kalameteros' Anger

Ioannis Kalameteros had been listening in the shadow of the bookcase for a while, fighting a losing battle against the anger welling up in him. As he stepped into the light, Anna noticed that the small voice belied a rather tall, if not very large man. He was not ugly, not quite, but his muscular arms seemed out of place on a much scrawnier body, lines crossed an otherwise youthful face, twisted in a sarcastic smile that never touched his icy grey eyes.

"No, Princess," he spat the title "your brother was not here for literature, and neither are you."

He rounded on Kosmas, and his face grew softer, though his voice did not lose its sting.

"I told you the royal family would mean trouble!"

He struggled not to spit the words out, struggled to keep control of his temper. He lowered his voice:

"We agreed, Kosmas! Meeting with even one member of the royal family can draw attention, not to mention the Caesar! And now this...,"

He gulped, swallowing the biting insult. He mustn't lose his temper.

"Now she is here as well, and you damn well know she is not here for Aristotle!"

Anger quickly marring her feature, Anna struggled to remain composed. She ignored the man barking at her and concentrated her attention on Kosmas. "I bid you to restrain your lackey Comes, before I take note of his insults to my family." She emphasized the last word, without a doubt alluding to the Basileus specifically.

Kosmas raised an eyebrow at Ioannis’ outburst but did not divert his gaze from Anna. “Forgive me, Princess. My friend has concerns about dealing directly with the Imperial family. He means no harm by his statements.”

Anna's features shifted back to a pale complexion as she pursed her rose colored lip in disapproval. "No harm? Very well Comes, for you I will not press the matter, unless your "friend" insists on indulging us with more of his fine comments." If Anna might have seemed flustered a moment ago, she had now fully regained her composure.

"I fail to see how it is of your concern. Also, proper manners would imply introducing yourself before interrogating your betters."

Rage builds up on Ioannis' face again, but he controls it somewhat better this time. In an icy quiet voice he replies "It is of my concern, Princess, because the politics of the royal court have too often gotten people killed, and while the life of my friends here and mine may not mean much to such exalted personas as yourself, you will excuse me for being quite fond of it!" By the end he was hissing noticeably again.

"I am Ioannis Kalameteros, Princess" he spoke the title as an insult, "and you have still to answer my question."

Anna's calm demeanor wavered, as a hint of surprise could be caught in her eyes. Clearly she had not expected such an answer.

Sensing things might get out of hand, Kosmas steps between Anna and Ioannis, briefly throwing a rather exasperated look towards his friend before turning towards the Princess, smiling. “As you can see, Princess, my friend has personal reasons to be wary. His loyalty and devotion to the interests of his friends is to be much commended enough to forgive the occasional lack of certain diplomatic niceties. To answer the question you had put before me prior to this sudden conflict, your brother and I have spoken personally while I was on campaign with his father. Apparently he saw something admirable enough to ring me into the Imperial family. That is the extent of our dealings as of now. Is there any other way I may be of service to you?”

Disappointment crept in her voice. "I suppose not. Although I still don’t understand why a simple question elicited such a strong reaction, unless...." Deliberately, she left the two men guess at was she was hinting.

Pointedly ignoring Anna, Ioannis turned to Kosmas. This time the warmth on his face was real. "If you do not mind, I will leave you to deal with her. But think on what I said, my friend." Turning around he gives the somewhat startled Anna a deep bow, and leaves the room.

Kosmas bows again to Anna. "I thank you for your visit, Princess, and hope that you will brighten my doorstep again soon." Almost as if on signal, a servant appears at the door of the library to escort Anna back outside.

"Very well then." Rearranging her veil to cover her features once more, she turned to follow the servant while keeping the borrowed scrolls firmly in her grasp.

Throughout the meeting a figure had stood guard behind Kosmas' right shoulder. At first he appeared as if a statue as he was silhouetted against the window and was still as stone. However a small light shined on his face so that his eyes could just be made out and they did not leave the face of Anna until it was not possible to see it. The man was in love with someone he could never have.

Following the princess' departure, Hypatios Machonios finally made himself heard in a low quiet voice which cut through the silence.

"You need to control your tongue Ioannis."
    Last edited by TheFlax; 05-31-2008 at 18:13.

((Written in collaboration with TheFlax.))

Encounters at the Mavrozomis estate, Part IV: Always expect trouble

Shouldering his kontarion lance, the kavalieroi threw his horse full speed towards the motley group of men holding spears and wooden shields a hundred paces in front of him. The spearmen first huddled together in a semblance of formation, but as the fully armored cataphract bore onto their position, their will wavered and finally failed them completely. Not losing sight of his target, the armored horseman curbed his course, catching up with the first runner. The kontarion tore the man’s side, spilling guts and sending him thrashing in the dirt while another man tripped and had his brains splattered by the charging horse. Pushing his charge to its limits, the kavalieroi managed to impale another spearman before having to discard his lance in favor of his paramerion sword.

A few bloody moments later and the courtyard was strewn with cut up remains and pools of oozing viscera.

Dismounting, he curtly addressed as servant that had been standing on the side: “Next time get more slaves. Or get them horses. These easy exercise are a waste of time,” he glances around, “and quite messy.”

Anastasios Neokaisareitis had been training in the Campus Martius when a messenger had arrived to indicate he would be received at the Mavrozomis Estate. His training methods were thought by many to be the most gruesome spectacle to be had in Konstantinopolis: he squared off against armed slaves, much like the gladiators of old, and ruthlessly massacred them. He thought of it as an entertaining way to test his ability to support the heat and the weight of his armor while keeping in touch with his sword skill.

“At last!” he thought after having reviewed the letter from the messenger. He had tried to meet with Comes Mavrozomis for some time now had always met with delays, but now the Count invited him to meet in his office. Maybe siding with that bookish aristocrat wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.

He still wore his suit of armor, but he didn’t want to give Mavrozomis time to change his mind. He draped a flowing burgundy cape on his shoulders and summoned another horse. As he rushed out of the courtyard, he heard the messenger yelling something at him about the Komnenoi, but he was already to far to hear.

The busy streets of Konstantinopolis were always the scene of a formidable diversity of people and one could expect to be surprised by sights and smells wherever one went, but the appearance of a fully armored kavalieroi making its way at lightning speed through the richer neighborhoods was still a sight most were unaccustomed to. Reigning in his steed as he approached the Mavrozomis Estate, Anastasios gave a quick look to the décor. Brightly colored flowers bordered the way to an elegant fountain, a few gardeners were finishing their morning tasks.

“The man has taste,” he muttered, “let’s just hope he can apply as much care to war as to his gardens.”

Anastasios took off his helmet revealing fair, Mediterranean features. His family hailed from southern Italy, displaced when he was just a kid by the invading Normans. His dark brown hair descended in thick locks just above shoulder-length and he was clean shaven, unlike most of his contemporaries. His green eyes were quite alert for one so young, alight with intelligence, ambition and, at times, with something more sinister.

He walked meaningfully towards the entrance of the estate, not waiting for a servant to escort him.

---------------------

Anna stormed through the winding hallways of the estate, Kosmas' servant in tow. Ignoring the man, she was busy fidgeting nervously with her veil, obviously somewhat agitated. Her mind playing back her recent meeting, she almost did not hear the heavily armored man approach. Nevertheless, once he rounded the corner, he was difficult to miss. Taken aback, Anna halted her progress in an instant, addressing the man. "Expecting trouble?" Her tone was a mix of curiosity and irritation.

Anastasios’ rapid pace came to a sudden halt as he rounded a corner. Another step and he would have crashed into the woman coming from the opposite direction. A quick glance immediately indicated she was of high birth and Anastasios bowed his head in apology.

“I always expect trouble, my lady, even more so in this city, but alas I do not return from any glorious battlefield, only training in the Field of Mars, ” indicating his armor, “My apologies if I startled you, my eagerness sometimes has the better of me. I am Anastasios Neokaisareitis, from Bari.”

Raising his gaze, he gave young noblewoman an inquisitive look, but refrained from directly asking any question.

"You do well do expect trouble, one never knows from where it could come." A warm smile could be seen through her veil. "Tell me Anastasios, are you here to meet with the Comes?"

“Indeed I am, my lady. My family’s estates were looted by the Normans, now I seek aid in returning them the favor. ”

A dark grin crept in Anastasios’ features as he mentioned the Normans. It was over in an instant, but the slightly unsettling feeling it left lasted a few moments more.

“I hear Comes Mavrozomis is more of a scholar then a warrior. If that be the case, he can probably spare some of his men in favor of those who can put them to profit. The Empire needs more men of action and less politicking aristocrats.”

The man's unsettling reply left Anna at a loss for words for a few moments. "You don't approve of the state of things, do you?" Her tone was genuinely curious.

“There is little to approve of the present situation. In the past fifty years, we Romans have lost over half of what still comprised the empire. Anatolia is gone. Italy is gone. Dalmatia is gone. And what little authority the Basileos still held over Venice, Napoli and Hungary has disappeared. All the while, men sit in their decadent mansions in the greatest city in Christendom and ponder on what witty retort they will say in the next Senate session or which classic to quote to best impress the Basileos. Knowledge of the past has but one purpose: to better prepare oneself as you write the pages of the future! It is truly a dark time when warrior has to grovel before a bureaucrat in order to wash the dishonor of his nation. But whatever it takes, I care not for their honors!”

Realizing he had let his temper get the better of him, Anastasios bowed his head again.

“I am sorry, my lady. I have let my anger get the better of me, courtesy of the Normans who took away my parents when I was but a child, unable to defend them. The biased opinions from a simple Stratos on the state of the Empire must not be very interesting to a lady’s ears.”

"Do not apologise." Her voice was compassionate, even soothing. "You have endured great loss and have reason to be frustrated. Most men of power in the Empire know little of such a pain and care for little more than themselves. I am glad to have met one who has not lost the Roman spirit that has made us so great. In time your fortunes will change Anastasios, I will remind my father of our people in west who are now overrun by barbarians. Your plea will not fall on deft ears."

“The pleasure is mine, my lady. You have my sincerest thanks.”

Suddenly realizing he was barring her route, Anastasios backed up to the side of the wall to let her pass. As she lithely stepped down the hallway, the house servant that had been discretely listening to them sprinted to follow her, only to find a mailed hand clasping his shoulder:

“You annoy her.” The tone was cold, a total shift from the earlier voice. “Bring me to Comes Mavrozomis.”

As he followed the servant down the corridor, Anastasios could not help but wonder: Who was she?

((Written in collaboration with PrivateerKev.))

What can a Princess and a Crusader have in common?

Whenever I gaze back through the passage of time and upon the evening that bore me witness to the man known as Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, I can only wonder at the nature of men. From what fabric are weaved noble men? Often have I heard claims of titles, land, coin or bloodline; yet are all these things truly the core essence of nobility? Titles come and go swiftly as the shifting tides and as such are but a chlamys wrapping a man in a pretension of nobility. Only once removed can the truth of a person be revealed, at least in part. While land and coin may be more lasting, in the words of Sophocles; « Wisdom outweighs any wealth. » and that would be true of many more qualities. There remains bloodline, which is a crucial part of nobility but not the defining attribute. I cannot fully ascertain all that makes a man noble, crafting such a list would ultimatly prove illusive for any but the wisest. All that I can be certain of; men are not born noble, it is through their defining actions they reach true nobility.

- Memoirs of Anna Komnenos

The sun was setting on the Queen of all cities as a lone figure in simple robes of quality textiles made her way out of the palace grounds. Were she not a woman, she would have been largely unnoticed, yet most people assumed her to be of low nobility and thus she seemed only a minor anomaly in a city filled with them. Tugging at her lightly embroidered veil to adjust it, she contemplated the irony of situation. She, Anna Komnenos, daughter of the most powerful man in the world, had less freedom then her confidante, from whom she had borrowed these clothes to avoid the countless attendants.

As Anna neared the Hippodrome, she realized she felt odd sensation. Her reason told her this was unwise at best and she would have usually agreed, but something pushed her on. She could hardly describe the exact feeling, it was a mix of trepidation and excitement. She shook her head in denial, drawing a few curious stares, before she regained her countenance. She needed a clear mind if she wanted this encounter to turn out less sour than the previous one.

At last the Hippodrome was in view and Anna set out at once to the appointed entrance. Since Anna would surely stand out in the diminishing crowd, she made no effort to seek out Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, preferring to wait instead for him to find her.

And despite her lower key clothing, she was easy to find. As he was walking through the market sipping his tea, he spied someone looking a tad out of place by the entrance. Best to move in fast before people noticed her.

As Makedonios got nearer to the Princess, her beauty radiated out from even the dull clothes she currently had on. The soldier's heart skipped a beat but Makedonios's quickly settled it down. He had helped Bryennios hold the left wing at Manzikert against waves of Turkish attackers but he suddenly found himself more frightened than on that fateful day.

With a quick prayer to the Lord for strength, Makedonios walked quickly towards the Princess and called out just loudly enough for anyone witnessing to hear, "Maria! How is one of the Senate's most capable clerks doing? It is getting late and I would be honored to escort you home."

Makedonios offered the crook of his arm to the Princess as he set his tea set down on one of the lamp posts.

Anna was a bit slow in reacting at her "name" being called. Nevertheless, she quickly took the arm offered to her once she realized the man was probably the Comes of Cyprus.

"Thank you...my... lord." The words came out awkwardly and they felt odd as she uttered them. Glancing about, she was visibly nervous as she was escorted down the street. Part of her silently wondered if this man had mistaken her identity or if some grim fate would await her.

Makedonios noticed her tense her grip on his arm and quickly attempted to calm her down. "It is a beautiful night but the ones in Cyprus are nicer." Feeling her relax a little when he mentioned something from their letters, Makedonios continued. "I apologize for the theater but I'm afraid you cut it a little close with the timing. A lady looking as you do alone in front of the Hippodrome looks suspicious so I had to think fast. Please forgive my forwardness in offering my arm."

Even in the setting sun, Anna could notice the Comes was blushing.

"You did well Comes. I am... not used to hiding my identity." Her voice was quivering, it could have been a simple fear of discovery or was it something else? In all of her twenty springs, she had never held a man so closely, save her father and brother. She was thankful the rouge on her cheeks and her veil almost hid her blushing.

Pushing these thoughts away, she cleared her mind and struggled to keep her conflicting emotions in check.

"Quickly, we should move out from the streets. To the gardens, maybe?"

Makedonios nodded in agreement and led the Princess down the street. His experience with women was sorely deficient. He was a soldier. And his devotion to the Lord made him avoid some of the more leisurely activities that soldiers across the world use to occupy their free time. It was good that they weren't talking or the Princess might notice his voice quiver.

They finally arrived at their destination. Which was a back entrance to a small garden on the Palace grounds. A guard recognized the Princess and let them through the entryway that was entwined with vines and roses.

Once they arrived at the fountain in the center of the garden, Makedonios unhooked his arm from the Princess. He suddenly found that he missed the sensation. Thinking a quick prayer, and pushing the sensation out of his mind, it was time to get down to business.

"Alright your Highness, I've received your letter. Forgive me for being blunt but what would you like to discuss?"

Leaving his side, Anna followed the rim of the fountain, letting a finger trail in the cool water, until she was on the opposite side of it. She gazed at Makedonios and smiled sheepishly.

"In your letter, you asked for my counsel. With the senate session nearing, I thought it was better not to waste time. But first, tell me Comes, what do you want?"

The Comes stood for a second sizing her up. He was impressed with her forwardness and honesty. He expected her to be more guarded and aloof.

"Your right, but it was you who wanted to meet in person. What I want is simple. I want to get the Order off of my island, and over to the Levant as soon as possible. But I already sense political dealings happening behind the scenes and I am afraid a group of warrior/monks isolated on a far island are going to get left out."

"I don't ask for much. I already have army units and generals on the island. And half of the Byzantine fleet is just off of the coast of Cyprus. But our Empire's rules are very clear. I can not order the ships to move, load my men onto to them, and sail them the short distance to where they need to go. Only the Megas can do that and this term that is your father."

"I'm trying to prevent the Order being stranded by making political alliances with the other land-owners. But I much rather do this with your father's blessing. I have great respect for the man and I believe he will lead the Empire into a new age."

With a smile that brightened his features, Makedonios added, "Now I have prattled on long enough. If I may be so bold to ask, what do you want your Highness?"

Anna hesitated for an instant, not sure exactly what she should reveal. Well versed in negotiation, she knew she had to at least give him something.

"As I am sure you know, my brother is set to inherit the title of Basileus and in the meanwhile I am relegated to a very minor role. All I can do is to make sure my family is safe while both, father and brother, are away waging war. As you have said, many alliances are made and some of them do not have my family's interest's at heart, quite the contrary. Yet, I have little power myself. What I want, what I need, is someone with integrity. Someone, who will not bend for me or anyone else. You said you could offer me friendship and that is what I want, for I place little faith in pawns and sycophants."

Makedonios nodded in understanding.

"It seemed like you could use the advice of someone who isn't fawning for your's, or your father's approval. I believe I could provide that. And I can use friends in the Senate so I can fulfill my duties to the Lord and to my Order."

"I too have the Empire's interests at heart. My mission to secure the Holy Land has many reasons. The obvious is religious in nature. But there is a very real security reason. It seems everyone in this part of the world seeks to hold the Holy Lands. If we do not get there first, we are likely to find a large and powerful foreign foe to our south-east that would threaten any attempt to retake Anatolia."

"I will not ask you to trust that I have your family's interests at heart. But I hope I have proven that what I am trying to do will benefit the entire Empire. I was at the battle of Manzikert and I know full well what happens when an Empire doesn't secure their borders."

With that last sentence, Makedonios gets a far-away look as if he has been reliving the same nightmare every night. He quickly composes himself.

"As for integrity, you should be suspicious of anyone who claims it for themselves. All I hope I have convinced you of, is that I hold strong convictions. I believe with all my heart that the Order will serve a useful function to the Empire by holding a strategic position. I just need the chance to prove it."

"Again I fear I am monopolizing this conversation. I feel like I'm giving a practice speech before speaking before the Senate tomorrow. But that is in itself useful because it helps me put my thoughts in order. Please feel free to step in and give me your thoughts or ask me any questions."

Completing her walk around the fountain, Anna found herself once more near Makedonios. She simply nodded at his words.

"You are right, and with you in the East, I find myself fearing less for our safety from that direction. Yet, I am worried for the west. The latin barbarians rape and pillage our lands while we are forced to watch, unable to act."

Brushing back her veil lightly, she produced one of her most charming smiles. Her eyes glimmered in the fading light.

"I would ask of you a simple favor. There might soon be talk of sending some troops to reclaim some of our lands in the West. A young man, by the name of Anastasios Neokaisareitis, will no doubt make his wish to lead this expedition known publicly. His needs are few, less than a hundred men, and I would be very grateful if you supported him."

While Makedonios's features brightened as the Princess neared, his face turned to a grimace when he heard Anastasios's name.

"Your Highness, soldiers have many ways of doing things. But some men do things in a way that is against the very teachings of the Lord. And Anastasios is one of those men. His reputation for cruelty is well known. I'm surprised you have even spoken with such a man."

While Makedonios tries to make it clear through his tone that he meant it as Anastasios being unworthy of a conversation with Anna, a touch of jealousy leaked through. He decided to continue and hope the Princess didn't notice.

"As for my support, he probably doesn't know it, but he already has it. While he has not formally sworn to House of Asteri, he is known to spend much time there. And Comes Kosmas and I already have... an understanding. While he keeps company with some... colorful characters, the Comes is a very pious man. Him and I agree on the need to move Muslims away from the Empire and to spread Orthodoxy."

Anna adopted a more serious and thoughtful pose, seemingly taken aback by Makedonios' words.

"I... did not know about his reputation. I might have erred in my judgment, although at short term, he seemed like the right person to see to our needs in the West."

She seemed distraught, her voice shakier sentence by sentence.

"It seems it is I who is "left out" so to say, there are so many new faces in the Senate, I hardly know any of them. And now, it is apparent I cannot even trust my own senses. I fear in seeking my counsel you have struck a losing bargain."

Makedonios's features soften when he sees the Princess upset but he stays where he is. His emotions are conflicted and he doubts she needs any more complications in her life at the moment.

"Well, you have to start somewhere. I hardly know any of these men either. You write letters and see where it takes you. That is how we met. Your a born diplomat. You were trained to read people. Trust in that."

"As to your judgment, I see nothing wrong. The larger issue you speak of is absolutely correct. We can not focus on one end of the Empire, only to ignore the other side. That is why I have tried to be modest in my requests of the Basileus. Anastasios might be the right choice to protect the west. With him in Kosmas's House, he might be forced to... curb some of his excesses. While Kosmas does not have a reputation for chivalry, he does seem like a pragmatist."

"I see... I have met with Comes Mavrozomis, although with inconclusive results."

She looked at the now dark sky, realizing that she had perhaps tarried to long.

"I...." Anna stuttered, seemingly examining possibilities, before shaking her head lightly. "I must take my leave, if I do not return to the palace soon my absence might be noticed. I will take your words into consideration Makedonios and once I have found myself once more, I will speak to you again. Farewell."

Rearranging her veil, Anna turned to leave but lingered for a few moments, before finally leaving.

Makedonios paused for a moment. But it was only a moment. He gave a respectful bow and said, "Have a good evening your Highness and thank you for the conversation. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask."

With that, he kept his face impassive but his eyes betrayed him when they appeared to sparkle with emotion. Perhaps it was just the moonlight. He stood straight, turned smartly as a soldier does, and walked out of the garden.
    Last edited by TheFlax; 06-01-2008 at 07:25.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Present Day:

Standing on the prow of the ship, the young man's piercing blue eye's and blond hair stood out in stark contrast to his deeply tanned skin. If it wasn’t for his fair hair and eye’s, his skin colour and dress would have marked him as a Saracen to a casual observer. His head scarf or Keffiyeh and dark flowing robes hid the red jerkin of armour he wore under his the Arab clothing.

“Christian Hardy, the men are read for the day’s final prayer.” The words were spoken in fluent Arabic.

Turning his head back towards the main deck he could see the preparations for the Salat were nearly done. “I’ll be there in a few minutes Nasir, and remember, my name is Apionnas Vringas now.” His own words were as fluent as those of his Syrian friend. He smiled at his companion, noticing the concern etched on his friends face.

“Plus, I want to see Constantinople before I pray Nasir. Allah will not mind the small delay I’m sure.” Nasir raised an eyebrow in response but turned without a word and went back to the main deck.

Christian Hardy, the young man thought long and hard on that name, images immediately flashed back to that fateful day forever burnt into his memory over 10 years ago.

The ship he and his family were travelling on was attacked by a Saracen war galley, his mother captured and raped before his eyes, his father cut down by the sword stroke of an Arab commander. He would never forget that moment, the images of his parents were the only things that gave him the strength to survive the last ten years of his life as a slave.

The boat journey had taken one full year to reach Cairo where he was sold to the Mamluks and joined the Sultans Mansuriyya regiment. At the age of six he began the decade long training regime in order to become one of the slave soldiers of the regiment. Looking back he suddenly realised the concept that had resulted in turning him into what he was today.

The younger they were taken, the better. Boys were easier to train than a broken man wrenched from his family after a siege or raid. They were impressionable, quicker at submitting to the strict military regime and to full conversion to Islam, easier to mould into steel.

That steel had been shattered not less than one month earlier. The Mansuriyya regiment, sent north to begin preparations for the coming war between Egypt and the Turkish presence in Syria, had been ambushed and destroyed in less than one afternoon. Four thousand troops killed or captured, his Amir slain, the commanders beheaded as a message to the approaching Sultan.

They had retreated bravely and finally, pushed up against the coast, the remaining soldiers had escaped by swimming to a nearby island. With no food the few remaining survivors had lived off the land and had eventually gathered at a small town on the island to discuss their plans.

After heated debate about the merits of returning to Cairo, most had agreed that the regiment was disgraced and each would make his own way.

With no commanders, no direction and no way back to his previous life, his only option seemed to be the pull of finding his fathers Byzantine family somewhere in Constantinople. He had names, but would he find them after an entire life of separation?

This desperate search was why he and a few men where now on a ship less than one day from Constantinople.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 06-08-2008 at 18:29.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Naksou City, 1081 A.D.

When dawn came to the city, it found Armatos ek Naksou standing on the pier.

News of his invitation to the Royal Court had come as a great surprise to him, not that it should have. After all, his old man must have had a way with people if he was able to become governor of the island in the first place. Still, it had taken him longer than he would have liked to get his affairs in order. He didn’t want to have to return here for any reason until he was good and ready.

Oh sure, Naksou wasn’t the most boring island in the Cyclades; it certainly wasn’t as bad as Iou or Parou, but by the word of the Lord it was not cosmopolitan. Armatos had been to Constantinople when he was a kid and there was no comparison, here the only entertainment was gambling and reading, neither of which were very interesting to him. The most fun he ever had here were the occasional pirates and other outlaws.

He smiled as he remembered the grain riots that had sprung up just a year ago. A great mess that was, with some former gladiator or whatnot inspiring rebellion in the streets. Armatos knew this about the guy because one day, after a particularly boring lesson about city administration he decided to work of some energy by finding the guy and challenging him to single combat. A hasty decision in retrospect, seeing as how the first words out of the guys mouth were about how Armatos would make a good hostage. Turned out the guy was pretty decent with a sword too, almost taking Armato’s jaw off and leaving a scar that still hadn’t quite healed. Perhaps it was all that talk of ‘rebellion’ and ‘regicide’ and the ‘blood’ coming out of Armatos’s ‘head’, but whoever that gladiator was he had breathed his last. It was a good thing Armatos had all that adrenaline pumping through his veins, or he may not have been able to high-tail it out of their fast enough after he was done.

And if the scar wasn’t bad enough, it didn’t take long for his old man to hear the rumors about how the first-born son of the island’s ruling noble stopped a rebellion-in-the-making via single combat. It may have put all the malcontents in a tizzy long enough for the next shipment of grain to arrive, but that didn’t stop his father from smacking him around and locking him in his room for a week. Armatos was going to write the whole experience off as a big mistake, until he received a letter from some guy named Makedonios.

Armatos had never heard of the guy before, but he liked what he was offering. Although Armatos had never seen a battle worthy of the name before, he had read lots of books about the glorious history of the Romans and the Greeks, particularly their military histories. In his boredom he had always imagined himself as one of the heroes in those stories, someone whose strength, wisdom and courage had made lives of his subjects all the better. What’s more, the man spoke about a mission for the Lord. Armatos knew he could never get a better deal than helping to establish good, Christian government over the Holy Places.

And know, his time was at hand. Soon the Dromon would arrive to take him to Constantinople, and after the Diet Session his new life with the Order of St. John would truly begin.

Kantakouzinos residence.

"Naksos!"

Ioannis shouted to his old and loyal servant.

"Is the book here?!Did you get it?"

Naksos placed something veiled in a green cloth in front of his master, while Ioannis hesitantly removed the cloth and looked at the leather covered book. Illias and Odysseia by Homeros. Ioannis opened the book while his eyes admired the style of writing and the craftmanship of the scribe and book maker who had made this beautiful copy of the Classic. Slowly he raised his eyes from the book and pointed his glance to Naksos saying.

"You know what to do. Get this book in the residence of Princess, without her knowing where it came from, bribe if needed but get it there inside this beatifull cloth, like the book would have just dropped from heaven.

"But, Sire. It cost you fortunes.You cant just drop it into the residense of princess, without she even knowing where it came. Its far too valuable."

Naksos tried to convince Ioannis, but in vain, with bit sharper tone the Kantakouzinos continued.

"You old goat!Just get it there! There is nothing that money can buy which we can use to get the attention of the princess. Our only way is to get her attention with something unexpected. Remember the signature for the book! From a humble admirer, who does not deserve the attention of the beauty unmatched in Court of Rome, or any other city under the sky."

Naksos mumbled something about foolish young men on his way out, but the old sevant did exactly as his master ordered.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Constainople 1081:

“You should wear something a little less conspicuous Apionnas”.

The young man like the way the 'p' was kept silent in his name. His own companions where clearly mispronouncing it just as he was. Given it was actually his own name, he found the mistake a simple reflection of how foreign he was in his fathers own land.

“I am who I am uncle. I’ll not change myself to look like others, simply because I’m not.”

His uncle’s face creased in worry at this comment.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to declare to the world who exactly I am, but I simply wont lie to avoid irrational hatred and ignorance”. Apionnas shrugged his shoulders indicating there was no need for any further discussion.

“Yes but it’s a session of the Magnaura and you should wear something appropriate and in accordance with your fathers heritage!”

Apionnas thought of his father, slain all those years ago. What should he wear he thought, the French court cloths of his mother heritage, a traditional garment of his Byzantine father, the regimental uniform of his Mamluk regiment, or perhaps the cloths of a slave. They were all part of him. Finally he decided and with that began to change.

“Uncle, I’ve made my decision and while finding you here in Constantinople after all these years has been truly remarkable I’m more than sure my father would understand. I know your family…our family, has been reduced to virtually nothing and I will go to this Magnaura and listen to what these men have to say. Once I’ve seen for myself what this Empire is about and what it stands for then I will determine my next move.”

With that said the young man left, his uncle could only stare in shock as his nephew depart to into the street outside.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 06-01-2008 at 23:27.

It was raining lightly on Constantinople that night. A lone figure was hurrying down the streets of the seedier neighborhoods of the lower city, muttering to himself.

It was Anastasios Neokaisareitis.

He had just walked out of the estate of Comes Mavrozomis where things had gone completely to the opposite of what he expected. Of course, he hadn’t thought convincing the Comes to support him would be easy, however, this insult! Being forced to pledge himself to a man he didn’t know… This Zigavinos Vasilakios hadn’t even been present at the meeting!

He was furious with himself.

Those artistocrats had a way of working things that drove him mad, a powerless rage to get anything accomplish, to get any kind of simple, straightforward answer. There was no trusting them. And in return, Anastasios knew, he would probably never receive their trust.

“Well so be it, I don’t need their trust. All I need is a few dozen men of valor and I will mete God’s Justice to the wicked.”

He arrived at his appartment. It wasn’t the most impressive or suitable residence for a noble, but it was far from the gossiping and prying eyes of the richer districts. It was located on the top floor of a six story building. Clean and sparsely decorated, the place had a martial look to it. A map of Italy was streched out on a wall, and besides it, resting on a table, a Bible lay opened.

Having removed his armor and dressed into lighter clothes, Anastasios re-read the page at which the Holy Book was open :

He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

“All I need is a few dozen men...”

Anastasios’ thoughts erred. He thought of Italy, of his dead parents, of his interview with the Comes. Suddenly the image of the girl he bumped into before meeting Mavrozomis came back to his mind.

She had acted as a noblewoman, but she was just a lass. Probably around his own age.

“I wonder who she is,” Anastasios thought, “and I wonder who her father is… That could be a very useful connection. I must remember to ask the Comes about her.”

He looked at the map of Italy once more.

“Yes, very useful…”

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Romans 13:4
    Last edited by The Lemongate; 06-02-2008 at 20:04.

A Letter and a Book.

Imperial Palace, Constantinople, 1081

Anna had just taken her leave after the evening meal and intended of retiring to her quarters for the night. On her way there, she had crossed paths with a messenger, carrying amongst other things a letter for her. She had read it has soon as she had entered her study.

Sitting at her desk, she examined in detail the missive she had received. It had been sealed with a rampant lion seal. The velum was of medium quality and the sealing wax, pitch black. As she perused the words, she blushed slightly. Apparently, her appearance at the Hippodrome earlier had not gone unnoticed. She pondered on her admirer’s words, seeking clues of his identity through what he had written of himself and how he had composed the letter.

It was not that she truly wished to know who it was, but most mysteries usually piqued her intellectual curiosity. It became a puzzle and a challenge. Yet, in the end, she had too few clues to go on. The man was not of noble birth and served her father, but that was the case of many. He had alluded to danger in service of her father; as such he was surely a military man of some sort, unless he had exaggerated. An analysis of his writing style proved even less conclusive. It was obvious the man had a sharp mind, yet hints in the way he constructed his sentences had led her to believe he had only received a minimal formal education. Then again, if he was a military man, that might not be wholly unexpected.

Tired, Anna decided on postponing her efforts. Before heading for her bedroom, she changed her indoor robes of a light pink a blue, in favour of a plain white silk nightdress. Then, after combing her hair and washing her face, mainly to remove the rouge from her cheeks, she moved for her bed.

As soon as she crossed the threshold of her bedroom, Anna froze. There, lying on her bed, was an object wrapped in fine green cloth. Even from a distance, she could tell it was a book, for she spent most of her days with one in her hands. She wondered how it had gotten in her room for an instant, before taking a few light steps towards it. Sneaking up on the book without making a sound, she glanced furtively around, eyeing suspiciously every shadow in her bedroom as a potential offender.

Before long, Anna had silently reached her ample bed and if the book had been a person, it might have been surprised to see the young woman appearing out of nowhere. As it was, nothing happened and the eerie silence began to rake at her nerves. Slowly she reached for the package and immediately after wrapping her hands around it; she jerked her head to the side and scanned the room with her gaze. She was about to remove the green cloth, but flinched when the drapes leading to her balcony rippled lightly.

On the tip of her toes, she moved around the bed and towards the balcony, holding the mysterious package tightly to her chest. She quivered in anticipation of what she was about to discover and halted for instant, thinking she should instead run to the guards. Her hesitation only lasted a heartbeat, before her curiosity took over once more and she resumed her painfully slow progression. Moments later she was inches away from the drapes and decided the time for subtlety was over. In a bold and unladylike move, she burst through the drapes and onto the balcony, eyes wide open and searching for some sign of an intruder.

Relief and a touch of disappointment coursed through Anna when she realised there was nothing out of the ordinary on the balcony. Silently, she chided herself for reacting like she did, thinking herself quite silly. If someone had sneaked into her bedroom, that person was long gone and all she had seen was a trick of the wind. She couldn’t even be sure it was someone from outside the palace who had delivered the package.

Retreating from the balcony, Anna sat on her bed before removing the green cloth from the package. She smiled in satisfaction when she saw it was, as expected, a book and an exquisite one at that. Her fingers glided softy on the leather cover and for a time she lost herself in the sensation, before finally opening the cover. Inside, she found a message awaiting her.

From a humble admirer, who does not deserve the attention of the beauty unmatched in Court of Rome, or any other city under the sky.

Her eyes went wide upon reading the words. Was this another admirer, or perhaps the same man who had sent the letter she had received earlier? After a careful reflection, she decided the two were unrelated. This was another mystery she would have to solve, but not tonight. Tonight she would lie on her bed and enjoy this gift.

Turning a page, Anna smiled at the title as she read it out loud. “Illias and Odysseia, by Homeros”. Whoever had procured her this book had good taste. Even if this particular work was well known to her, she carefully read each page, taking time to admire the impeccable calligraphy she could never hope to match. Only when the candles in her bedroom were spent, did she drift away in peaceful slumber.

1081:

Makedonios was taking a break from the Senate proceedings. The Emperor had not yet arrived and everyone was basically just sitting there staring at each other. So he had retired to his chambers behind the Order's section in the Senate. His room was spartan. A small bed was in one corner. A pad to pray on in another. A chest held his wardrobe. He was sitting on his bed reading the latest pile of letters when one of them made him laugh. It seemed the political games were starting already. No matter, he wouldn't let the petty jealousies of other nobles distract him from his Holy mission.

He finally put the letters down and laid in bed. It was the first time he had laid down in a couple days. He was exhausted. The past few days was a whirlwind of letter writing and politicking. Plus Makedonios had another reason to keep busy. For when he was busy, he wasn't thinking of "her". Well, at least not too much. Ever since last night, she kept invading his thoughts. As he laid there, he wondered if she was thinking of him too. He shook his head. Bah, she is probably being courted by half of the men in the Senate. She has other things on her mind. Makenodios tried to get to sleep.

Duke of Nicosia

Kantakouzinos residence,the next morning.

Ioannis Kantakouzinos was having a simple breakfast. Bread, oil, olives, an apple and water to flush everything down. While the maids served this simple nourishment to their master, Naksos waited patiently in the corner of the room.

Once the maids were gone, Ioannis drank slowly the last few drops of water from a silver cup, without turning his eyes to Naksos he said:

"Were you successful? Does the princess now posses the book?"

Naksos took few steps forward towards his master and said with a happy smile on his face.

"Yes, the book is delivered. The boy who carried it into her chamber said that he was almost captured by the princess, but managed to escape through the balcony before he got caught. My lord, can i ask why did you want to give her the Illias?"

Ioannis shrugged to himself and replied with a little smile.

"I know that the princess is educated beyond belief and there hardly is an classic which she has not read. It is about the story. It is about how love and determination can bring down cities into dust and that men can do anything for love, even if it would mean death.
    See, i have encountered the princess all my life as we are close relatives to the Komnenos and my interest towards her is not just merely to marry her in order to bring influence and prosperity to the Kantakouzinos family. I think i have loved her always.
    The fact is that Anna Komnenos is lot more then just her staggering beauty and intelligence. She is a political tool and a weapon, in the arsenal of her father.
    You dont court the princess of Bysantine Empire like any lass. If got caught of that could mean a scandal and even disgrace to princess and banishment of the man deemed guilty of that kind of behavior. Sure one can ask of her hand from his father, but that is a thing any sane man of noble birth should do. It is completely different matter what his father wills, so we must be careful, more then careful."

After a brief silence. Ioannis continued.

"Now Naksos, find out if there is any banquet this week, where the princess might attend.Those should be plentiful,since the Basileos is in the city and everyone wants to impress him. It is time to meet the princess in person"
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 06-02-2008 at 09:53.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

A night in a Royal garden

(Co-op story by TheFlax and TdC)

It was night. A warm breeze came from the Bosphorus, bringing a thousands scents from the city below the Palace. The man fully dressed in black had gained access to the gardens on which opened the latticed windows of the Princess’ apartments.

His heart was racing madly in his chest, not so much from the exertion of climbing walls and avoiding the patrolling guardsmen but from his proximity to Her.

Hiding in the bushes, his face upturned to the balcony where a feeble candle burned in the room, the man saw the lithe body of a small boy climb the wall, getting grips in between stones. The boy seemed to carry a heavy burden on his back, but apparently, this did not hamper his climb in any manner.

The black-clad man tensed, his hand going out of reflex to the dagger at his belt, his fingers tightening on the hilt.

The boy reached the balcony. The man began to move to follow, loosening the blade from its scabbard. The boy parted the curtains and stepped into the room. The man took some quick steps forward. He was almost out of cover when suddenly the curtains parted anew and the boy reappeared, his burden gone. He vaulted over the balcony’s rail, landed rolling and began to run as soon as he regained his feet. The boy passed a mere two feet from the man not noticing him, while the man took note of the boy’s face, intent on finding him again if anything happened to Her.

Thinking of Her, the man’s gaze returned to the window and he stood transfixed. She was standing on the balcony like a Greek goddess, a Christian Icon bathed in candle light. She peered at every inch of the balcony, seemingly searching for something. For a moment, she was visibly tense, yet once the futility of her search became obvious she visibly relaxed. Turning to face the man, she gazed absently at the night sky. In her arms she was holding the package that the boy had carried with him. The size and shape of the green-clothed packet reminded the man of a book.

That puzzled him. Who would deliver a book in such a way ? Unless it was some forbidden book… No, that was not possible, She would never meddle in these matters…

Before the man could move, She retreated as quickly as she had appeared. The man remained a few more instants. The candle still burnt brightly in the room when he left.

He managed to see Her… That was more than what he had hoped for…
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

You people forced my hand. I had to act.

“Velocemente! Velocemente! Don’t you even know how to row?!?!?! RAPIDO!!! Aaah! You bunch of pickled lards wouldn’t even be able to drive a wheelbarrow! It’s a wonder we’ve managed to get to the Bosphorus at all! Mama mia!”

A large man was widely gesticulating at the rowers on the Carico di Lardo, a Genoese galley headed for Constantinople. Large didn’t really do justice to the man’s girth. Huge and ponderous might be more precise, but a few things in life defy description, and the man’s corpulence was among them.

Voluminoso Maiale was exasperated. And when he was exasperated he tended to produce prodigious amounts of sweat. He wiped his brow on the sleeve of his tunic. Even though he was still on the Carico di Lardo, he had dressed in his bright fushia overcoat with assorted shoes over a orange and white striped tunic. He also sported a large bow-tie adorned with a pearl in the middle and a large, feathered cappello hat. Now though, because of the lazyness of his sailors, worthless scimmie piccole all of them, he would have to change his clothes as it was totally unacceptable to enter the City of Coin, the Mother of Trade, the Capital of Silk, the Queen of All Markets without the most sumptuous clothes his immense coffers could offer him.

He had prepared for this day all his life. The day he would conquer the Great City of the Romans, raid it’s markets and enslave its citizens with his fine, tender, juicy mutton chops! The very best of the west! Directly from the fattest lambs of Liguria! This day had to be perfect.

“And I will not let those annoyingly slow sailors tarnish it,” muttered Voluminoso.

A voice brought him out of his reverie: “Water faring associate transportation workers, sinior.”

Voluminoso was taken aback, tried to mumble an answer spewing a thick glob of saliva in the process before remembering where he was.

“Yes, yes capitano, associate transportation workers, not slaves. I know.”

The Water Faring Worker’s Guild was a relic of his plan to gain control of all galleys in the western Mediterranean. The plan had of course backfired in a terribly ironic manner as only his own sailors and slaves had joined the guild and now he was forced to deal with them as a collective bloc of associates. Gone were the days where he could just have them whipped. He sighed. It was such a barbaric thing to do to an honest merchant to force him to negotiate with those little wretches. He was sure that one day in the future, those guilds and associations would disappear. People in a thousand years will never put up with such uncivilized behavior.

But Voluminoso Maiale was not in Constantinople only for commerce. No, he was here to find a wife. In all the cities he had visited in his life (which really only amounted to three, but one of them was in fact a village where he was forced to spend the night because he had gotten lost on his way to Milan) he had heard that the most beautiful women of the world came from Greece, and he was quite decided to marry the most beautiful among them, Anna Komnena, daughter of the great Roman Emperor. After all, was he not the richest and most powerful merchant in all the western world? And his robust physique clearly displayed his opulence. Surely she could not refuse him!

As his thoughts wandered on how he would conquer the city of his dreams and her queen, the Carico di Lardo sluggishly approached the docks of Constantinople.

Voluminoso had been sitting on the docks of Constantinople for the better part of the morning. He was extremely tired. Watching his Water Faring Associates disembarking his prodigious quantities of fine mutton chops was an extenuating chore and he felt as though his energies were totally drained.

Calling his butler, he ordered a carriage to be brought up and to lead him in the inner city to find a place to rest. The ride into the city would have been uneventful had it not been for Voluminoso’s habit of ordering his driver about, yelling at him from the side window of the carriage, parts of his flabby stomach drooping out giving him the general appearance of a squished prune.

“You should have taken the left scimmia stupida! Now you’ll get us lost! Mama mia, sono circondato dai imbeciles! No! NO! Left here! Sinistra! Are you deaf? And be careful you nearly crushed that woman! Do not force me to come up there to teach you how to drive! Riiiight! Right! Oh! Just wait until I get up there! I will crush you like an insetto!”

With great pain, Voluminoso pulled back his belly inside the carriage. He was much too tired to fight with his coach driver. There would be time for that when he arrived in some place he could eat. And he still needed to get dressed properly. He had every intention of going straight to the Emperor’s palace that evening to demand the princess’ hand. He would probably have to hire an orchestra. And maybe buy a city block or two and transform them into gardens he would gift her. And he would create the greatest mutton chop market in all of Constantinople just for her! It would be marvelous!

As the carriage was passing near a tall and richly decorated building close to the Hagia Sophia, Voluminoso forced his carriage to stop.

“This is it. Stop. Stop you headless chicken! This is my hotel can you not see it! Stop I tell you!”

The coach driver tried to explain, but Voluminoso was not listening, he had pulled out his bulging form the carriage and was walking full speed towards the Magnaura.

((Written in collaboration with Kagemusha))

Banquet Revelations

Home of the Doukai, Constantinople, 1081

Anna gazed emptily at her own reflection in the mirror, her mind having wondered far away. Her thoughts went mainly to the different men she had recently met; from Kosmas Mavrozomis to Makedonios Ksanthopoulos, each had given her something to consider, even the overly angry one, Kalameteros. Her contemplation didn't last long as she was brought back to reality by a slightly annoyed voice.

"Anna! We have to get you ready, the banquet has already started."

Her personal servant and confidante, Verina, was franticly arranging Anna's hair while she sat and did little to help.

"You know how I dislike these gathering."

Verina paused and gave her a stern look through the mirror. Anna pouted in response, but knew Verina was right, she had to get ready. Nevertheless, like an actor playing her part in a play, she felt compelled to play out her role as she did everytime.

"Verina, why don't you go in my stead?"

The young woman was now choosing proper earings for Anna. Again she pause, this time smiling warmly.

"I am much to common of a woman to pass as royalty."

Anna made an exagerated roll of her eyes, but nevertheless had to agree. It was not a question of Verina's beauty, but they had very different features save for their dark hair. Her face was more angular than Anna's and the several springs she had over twenty had given her a somewhat austere appearance. With an exagerated sigh, Anna resigned herself to her fate.

"Very well, lets get this over with."

Anna applied a small amount of rouge on her cheeks while Verina fitted her with two small golden teardrop earings. The preparations over, Anna rose to watch herself fully in the mirror. She admired how her rich burgundy brocaded silk robe woven with raised designs of gold contrasted with her dark hair and pale face. Turning to her confidante, she repeated the words part of their ritual.

"How do I look?"

"You look marvelous Anna."

Smiling, Anna embraced the older woman, before leaving her room to join the banquet. As she heard the voices of revelry getting nearer, she steeled herself for another tedious evening. A few steps later, she took a deep breath and entered the banquet. At once, most eyes turned on her and Anna struggled to at least offer them a practiced smile.

Ioannis Kantakouzinos had been mingling through the banquet like it was requiered for any man of noble birth. Shaking hands of other noble men and kissing hands of their spouses and daughters.

He was sipping a glass of wine, wearing a black kontomanikion, with red sagion, which had newly embroiled coat of arms of the house Komnenodoukai on its shoulder, while the red colour was taken from his own family insignia.

As he was sipping his wine from a silver cup, the young Kantakouzinos became more and more uneasy. Ioannis thought's drifted.

What if the princess becomes enraged because of the disturbance of her privacy and tells her father that I am harassing her? Maybe this really was not such a good idea?

Suddenly the doubts of the young man were interrupted as Anna Komnenos entered the banquet, looking somewhat our of this world, with her brocaded silk robe, long flowing dark hair and pale skin.

Ioannis swallowed quite loudly and drank rest of his wine with one swallow, thinking.

Just put one feet after another and walk to her. Its not like you haven't fought in the battlefield risking your life times and times over. She maybe more dangerous then any enemy encountered, but she is no enemy and you are no coward.

Encouraged by his thoughts, Ioannis started walking towards the Princess, but just when he got few meters away from her, a familiar voice came from bit down in front of him, ending his internal battle like a bolt of lightning.

"Ioannis, how nice to see you! You have grown as a real Kantakouzinos man."

Ioannis turned his face towards the sound and saw the face of old and somewhat wrinkled woman with hearty smile on her face. Ioannis replied.

"Aunt Eugenia!"

Before he was able to continue. He felt an familiar sensation as his aunt pinched his cheek like million times before. His aunt still had power in his fingers.

"Have you remembered to eat well Ioannis? Ever since you left me and your uncle and started residing in the main residence of our house, I have been worried about you. I know what the young ones do, I was also young myself once, dancing until dawn and drinking wine until the last clear thoughts have passed their minds. Your Uncle says its nothing to worry, but Ioannis, you must remember to eat and sleep well or you wont live to see old age. It caused enough grief to our family to loose your father in Manzikert and afterwards your mother to the convention. You must stay healthy and live long, pass me and your uncle."

"Yes Aunt, of course Aunt.."

Ioannis tried to reply, as his eyes wondered between his aunt and the heavenly creature just few steps away. Anna Komnenos was surrounded by other people, so she could not have noticed the episode next to her.

Or could she?

Ioannis thought, but was were interrupted by his Aunt Eugenia.

"Now young man. Do not just stand there, but dance with your aunt."

Ioannis nodded with expression on his face like he had just lost a duel, while being dragged by his aunt to the floor.

After a bit of wait and nodding to his aunts, talk and suggestions of how he should live his life, another song started and Ioannis did his best to entertain his aunt while every time when he turned towards the princess he could not help but stare at the vision, which was so near, but still so far away.

Anna was already weary of the insatiable sycophants surrounding her. Pleasing them was easy, she needed only to smile meekly and modestly at their flattery or to laugh lightly at their jests. Nevertheless, she couldn't care less about them and their desires.

A quick scan of the room showed her few possibilities of escape, thus she would have to make one. She tolerated the men assembled before her for a time, until she saw an opportunity. The music had changed in favor of a dance that requiered a frequent rotation of partners.

Excusing herself suddenly, she sallied from the besieging admirers and grabbed a hapless courtier, before joining in the dance. This sort of dance suited her best because she didn't need to commit herself to anyone specifically, after a few moments, the dance would make her switch partners with someone else.

During the second dance, Ioannis could notice that his aunt would not last long anymore, the old bird couldn't keep him away from the princess for long anymore as she would soon need to rest.

As the dance was about to end, Ioannis was once again about to turn so that he could see the Princess in all of her beauty, but as he turned around, there was only few young men, where the princess had been just a moment a go. A terrible thought crossed Ioannis' mind.

Did I already lost her before I was able to meet her?

The music stopped and Ioannis stayed in his place, nurturing dreadful thoughts about his aunt, whom had gone to sit down and rest for a bit.

The first notes of the new song begun and by old reflexes Ioannis took one step to the right and spin to the left reaching his arm to the next partner, without so much looking towards that direction.

As he grabbed the sophisticated and small arm to to his own hand, he looked up and there she was, Anna Komnenos, holding his hand with a cute but appropriate smile on her rose lips. One spin to the right and then she was gone spinning with her next partner, while Ioannis was going to the opposite direction with his new partner, smiling and thinking.

It seems all hope is not lost yet. Now I will just have to wait while she spins through the line and back to me.Then she can't surprise me dumb.

After reaching the other end of the line, partners changing one after another, Ioannis could see how the beautiful princess was travelling his way. As he felt the touch of her hand again Ioannis said so others could not hear.

"Your higness, could you spare me word or two after this dance?"

Ioannis watched the Princess straight to the eyes and waited for a reply.

Anna recognised Ioannis the first time she passed by him in the dance and on the second pass, she could only smile and nod softly before shuffling over to her next partner.

The dance didn't last long enough for her to pass Ioannis another time and as soon as the music halted, she slipped away. Glancing back at Ioannis, she silently invited him to join her in one corner of the room.

Like moths drawn to a candle, the sycophants assaulted her once more. Anna dodged and weaved arround them, using other guests as shields. Circumventing most of them, she made her way hastily to where she would meet up with Ioannis.

Ioannis watched as the princess struggled to get rid of her admirers and as few stubborn few still following her, where they were supposed to meet. Ioannis decided to march between the Princess and the people trying to catch up with her. As he reached the point where he was standing between the Princess and the remaining followers, Ioannis suddenly turned to face tthem and with soft but determined voice said.

"If you could kindly spare us a minute with the princess, I would be forever grateful to the lot of you."

After saying the words the young Kantakouzinos kept staring at the eyes of the men, until all of them had decided to walk away or had turned their attention elsewhere in order to save face.

Then he turned towards the Princess, bowed and said with a playfull smile on his face, while pretending to be very much looking like he was sorry.

"I am terribly sorry for interrupting your chat with these ladies and gentlemen. I most humbly beg for your forgiveness."

Ioannis slowly raised his head while smiling to Anna. After the formal questions and compliments that had to be made on every occasion when nobles met, Ioannis explained to Anna what he wanted to talk with her.

"Your Majesty. As you must be aware I am practically an old man and because of my hideous appearance, no woman will pity me enough to marry a monster like me."

Ioannis tried to look as serious as he could and touched his moustache,while trying to draw his mouth downwards as if looking sad while he had trouble keeping his playful smile covered. He continued.

"Because of my hideous looks and need of your father, the Emperor, of strators to fight and die for him in distant places, my duty and honour is to go and fight the Tartars, Magyars and Saracens. For this I ask you dear princess to touch this cloth with your hand, so I could place it near my heart in order that the light which shines from you could give me comfort when without doubt my armor will be punctured by the Tartar arrows and the heathen Saracens will cut me open like a fish, while there will be probably blood everywhere...."

Ioannis continued his story about his horrible and gory death in hands of the enemies of the Empire, while trying to keep his act of doomed man together, with occasional smiling eye contacts to the Princess. He slowly raised his right hand with the cloth, which was the very same fabric the book had been covered with. He continued babling as if he was just trying to get the Princess to interrupt him.

Anna was taken aback by Ioannis' words, she had only wanted a companion for discussion that would not fawn over her. Apparently she had stumbled into something quite different.

She reached for the cloth and softy placed one finger over his mouth, wishing to silence him.

"Hush now. What is wrong with you Ioannis? Why do you speak of hideousness and doom? Is this some sort of game?"

Yet once Anna felt with her gentle hand the cloth handed to her, recognition flared in her eyes for an instant. It was the same kind of cloth that had wrapped the book she had recently received. A quick glance confirmed want her tactile senses had told her.

She did not know what to make of this. Was it a coincidence? Or was Ioannis toying with her?

Ioannis reached for the Princess' arm, so he could grab both the cloth and the hand holding it to his own. He leaned forward, bowing his head and kissed back of the hand of Anna. Slowly raising his head while gently taking the cloth to his own hand, while aiming his eyes to the eyes of the princess. He said with a gentle voice.

"The thing is Annna Komnenos, that as your humble admirer, who does not deserve the attention of the beauty unmatched in Court of Rome, or any other city under the sky. I must take my leave. Before I bring shame to either of us."

Ioannis smiled with longing and some kind of sadness in his eyes, unable to hold his feelings for the princess no longer, like he had hid those feelings for years. Realizing his revealing expression, Ioannis turned his eyes to the ground while nodding his head in a bow. He turned around and walked into the night, the confused expression of the heavenly creature burned in his eyes.

Anna simply stood there befuddled and at the mercy of the circling vultures. Seeing their prey vulnerable, they dived upon the young woman, quickly surrounding her. At first, she simply stared at them, stammering nonsensical replies, but quickly she pushed away her troubling encounter with Ioannis. She would reflect on it at a later time, for now, she had to entertain these fawning fools. It took all of her countenance to avoid sighing in despair.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

Constantinople, 1081

As the sun was setting on the first day of Senate deliberations, Markianos Ampelas left the Magnaura and headed toward the inn where he was lodging during his stay in the city. Though the merchants were closing up their shops, the fishermen returning to the docks, and even the city garrison preparing to retire for the night, it seemed the tireless bickerers in the Senate would continue through the night. The sun had set by the time Markianos reached the inn, but it was still light out, and the streets were still fairly active. He picked up his mail from the inn keeper, and went to his room. The room was small and simple, containing only a bed, a chair, and a table. On the table was a mass of papers, and on the chair and the floor were scattered his clothes. The only decoration was a pair of small icons on the east wall, one of the blessed Theotokos and one of Saint Demetrius of Thessalonike. Markianos changed into plain clothes, and did not even bother to read his mail, but only sat on the edge of his bed and waited. After about half an hour, he donned his heavy, military cloak, under which he hid his sword and some money. He looked at the wall with the icons, made the sign of the cross, and left.

Much to Markianos' relief, the street was nearly deserted. While the sky was still a light pink, not much light reached the street level. Although the street was lighted by torches, they were weak, and one could easily go about clandestine business. He headed west, away from the rich areas of the city, passing through a succession of neighborhoods, each of greater ill-repute than the last. He finally arrived in the neighborhood he seeked, a few miles away from the center of the city, though still within the Wall of Constantine. He got off the main road, and navigated a labyrinth of narrow and poorly labeled streets. At each small intersection, he would stop and look at a small piece of paper he held in his hand, which probably contained directions. After another half mile or so, he arrived at the place.

From the outside, it was but a door in large, two-story building, with the only feature distinguishing it from the other doors being the letter μ painted upon it with white paint. Beyond the door and down the stairs was a fairly large room with about twenty tables, some half of them occupied. Markianos took a seat in the corner, and almost immediately a waitress, a pretty, blue-eyed, Rus' (probably Rus', from up north certainly) girl, brought him the only item on the menu: a large cup of beer.

Markianos was on his third beer, though it may have been the fourth, when it was announced that the tavern was closing. He did not react. Soon, he was the only person remaining in the tavern, and was approached by a short, Greek man, probably the owner, who reiterated that the tavern was closed.

"I am looking for Spyridon Mikellides," said Markianos without ever looking at the man.

"What?" responded the other, "I don't know who that is. You need to get out."

Markianos stood up and left. He stopped outside of the tavern, and stood near the door. A few people from the tavern remained near by, most engaging in pointless drunk conversation with their friends, though some occasionally casting glances in Markianos' direction. After a short time, the Rus' girl (yes, she might have been from further north, perhaps from the land of the Varangians, but that really is beside the point), came by.

She came up to him, put her arms around his neck, and said, "Would you like to come with me for some fun?" Her Greek was decent, with a slight hint of a Russian accent. Or perhaps Varangian. It was too light to tell, in any case.

"Yes," he said, without showing any emotion. He then followed her away from the crowd without drawing any attention. He followed her through the labyrinth until they came upon a building which was not in any way distinct from the other buildings, and entered a door which resembled most other doors. He followed her up the stairs, and she led him into a room lighted with a lamp, and when she had led him thus, she left, closing the door behind her. The room was clean, neat, and utterly ordinary and inconspicuous, except for the man in a dark blue cloak with a hood, sitting at a table and looking at Markianos.

Markianos sat across him, and asked, "Are you Spyridon Mikellides?"

"I go by many names," said the hooded figure.

"Well," said Markianos with a slight hint of annoyance, "is Spyridon Mikellides one of them?"

"What is it you want, Comes Ampelas?"

Startled a bit that this man knew who he was, Markianos started making his request: "There is a certain man who goes by the name of Apionnas Vringas. A Senator, of the rank of Strator. I shall tell you all I know of him, and you shall tell me everything else. He claims to be descended from a noble Roman family, and claims to have been taken a slave by the Mamluks and was an officer in the Manoso... Manosourioi--"

"Mansuriyya."

"Yes. Indeed. He now comes to the Roman Senate dressed as a Saracen. His family connections check out, and he was allowed in, and did participate in the debate, but there has been no proof, nor any show at all, that his allegiance lies with our Basileus Alexios and our Lord Christ. It is his allegiance, in both the temporal and spiritual realms, that interests me the most, but any information past what he has provided, and the accuracy of that which he has provided, would also be useful."

"It is possible that I can help you," said the man who sometimes goes by Mikellides, "but since the target is a Senator, and the punishment therefore high treason, it will cost money. Perhaps one hundred and twenty florins, up front."

Markianos tossed a small sack on the table, which landed with the distinct sound of ringing coins. "Fifty florins there, expect seventy when I have good information. And if this fellow should be uncovered a spy, then perhaps expect great rewards from the Emperor."

The two men then discussed the logistics of how they will contact each other and pass information and money. Satisfied, Markianos left the room, and found the Rus' girl waiting for him downstairs. She was to take him back to the tavern so he could find his way back. He did ask her where she was from, but she only smiled at him and said nothing. Typical cloak and dagger types, never reveal more information than is absolutely necessary, even if it is just to satisfy a simple curiosity. She was very pale, with light hair and bright, blue eyes, definitely from the far north, possibly from Novgorod or Rostov, if not from the lands of the Varangians.

Written with assent of AG
    Last edited by flyd; 06-03-2008 at 05:34.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Kantakouzinos residence the next morning.

Ioannis woke up early and had his usual simple breakfast. Naksos waited patiently until his master was served and then started reporting of the usual things like the household costs, new servants and other things normal.

The older man waited for Ioannis to change the subject to other things more urgent, but as the younger man did no such thing, finally he gave up and asked.

"So Master, how was the banquet."

Ioannis watched the view opening up from the windows opposite to him and replied.

"Naksos, i really do not know. Maybe the Varangian guard will arrive soon and put me into chains and i will be deported to some small island on Aegean Sea, or maybe nothing will happen. What i know is, that now Anna Komnenos knows who sent her the book and also she either understands that i have feelings for her, or thinks im crazy. Which in the end is pretty much the same thing. Only time will tell, what the princess thinks..."

Ioannis stopped talking when a young boy entered the room and whispered something to the ear of Naksos. The older man nodded as sign that he understood and the boy left.Naksos moved his eyes to Ioannis and said.

"The Basileos is about to address the Senate."

Ioannis turned his eyes to Naksos and replied.

"Then lets go."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Reflections

Imperial Palace, Constantinople, 1081

The banquet had ended nearly an hour ago and it was well into the fourth hour of the apodeipnon. A cool breeze sporadically made the many candles in room quiver. In that wavering light, Anna sat hunched on herself at the edge of her bed, her hands in her disheveled hair and her eyes red with tears. Her silken white nightrobe echoed each shudder as Verina tried to confort her. The book she had received the other night was sprawled on the floor, minor damage could already be seen in some places.

Reality had came crashing in tonight. The day before, messages from unknown admirers seemed surreal, as in a fantasy. It had been all a game for her, trying to discover their identities, yet always missing some crucial clue. A few hours, one of them had revealed himself as Ioannis Kantakouzinos, an acquaintance she had met several years ago. Not only had he toyed with her before revealing himself, but had prompty left her in a state of turmoil that had left her defenseless against the throng of suitors and sycophants who had jumped at the occasion.

She had thanked God for giving her the strength of keeping face until the end of the banquet. Rage, frustration and sadness had built up for the better part of the night and once the banquet was over she had rushed to her room and surrendered to them. She felt angry at herself, for being taken unware, and at Ioannis, for leaving her to the wolves without consideration. She felt frustrated at her powerlessness over this whole situation. She felt sadness because she could not give Ioannis want he wanted and because the revelation had shattered her foolish but conforting romantic dreams.

Rubbing her eyes, Anna turned to her confidante.

"What should I do?" She inquired in a desperate tone.

"About what?" Verina replied, moving to sit beside her.

"Ioannis Kantakouzinos." The name was spoken without a hint of emotion.

"He loves you, does he not?"

"He said as much."

"Then use him."

Anna's expression turned from grief to shock.

"I can't do that!" Outrage was creeping in her voice, yet Verina remained calm.

"Don't you frequently use other people's weakness to your advantage when dealing with them?"

Anna pondered the question, a bit too long for her own liking. Her reply was hesitant.

"It's... It's not exactly like that...I..."

"It's exactly the same thing." Verina pressed on as she felt Anna ceding ground.

"I guess so... but it feels wrong."

Yet Anna's hesitation was slowly slipping away. Verina felt Anna was about yield and delivered the final blow. "Didn't he hurt you Anna? Look at the state you are in!" In Anna's mind it made sense, would should she worry about how he felt after he clearly abandonned her, uncaring about her feelings? She let herself fully drop in the plush bed.

"You're right Verina. If needs be, I'll do it."

"What about the two Comes you have already met, Kosmas and Makedonios?"

Anna propped herself slightly on her elbows and locked her eyes with those of her confidante. "They aren't interested in me Verina, not in that way."

The older woman laughed softly. "Anna, every man is interested in you!"

Anna shock her head lightly. "Not them, they won't."

Verina became more insistent. "Anna! You have to use every advantage you have, you must..." In an instant Anna rose to a sitting position and scowled at Verina.

"Enough!"

Verina gave her an apologetic look. "But Anna..."

Anna cut her off as she rose. "Leave." Not looking back, she made her way to the room's balcony. Pushing the drapes aside she made her way into the darkness until she felt the balcony's railing. She propped herself on it and gazed at the sleeping city before her. Somewhere out there, Ioannis was thinking about her, not knowing how she felt. She silently apologized for what she was about to do.
    Last edited by TheFlax; 06-04-2008 at 02:14.

OOC: The following story is sappy and full of emotion. It is an attempt to balance out TLG's earlier stories regarding a certain large, boisterous, and buoyant merchant. Feel free to read on but you have been warned.

1081:

A desk and chair had been moved into the Grandmaster's spartan quarters. Simple and made of wood, there was a candle and a pen on top of the desk. By all accounts, today would have been considered a good day. The politics were going about as well as could be expected. Deals were being made for the benefit of all involved. Things were moving forward. But today was not a good day.

Makedonios sat hunched over a desk trying to scribble something down on a piece of paper. Ever since he had met Anna, he couldn't get her out of his mind. She consumed his thoughts. She floated into his mind like a beautiful apparition and smiled at him with that glowing smile of hers. He had not had a good nights sleep since they met.

They had communicated since but it was... very basic. No emotion, no heart. Makedonios had poured over her letters as if to soak every last drop of emotion out of them. But there was none there. The exercise left him feeling empty. There was no solace and no closure to be found there. He needed to tell her how he felt. But how?

He was under no illusions. He knew her father would never let them marry. And he knew she only saw him as a useful confidante. And he knew his faith and commitment to the Lord would never allow anything to progress any further. But he still felt how he felt. There was no denying it. He was starting to develop feelings for her. And not the kind of infatuation all the nobles felt. No, he actually liked the person he was getting to know. He liked her for the little things. The imperfections that defined her character. The times she allowed a little weakness to show.

For when she allowed weakness to show, it proved that she was not too proud to admit she was not perfect. She was very... humble for a Princess. And intelligent. Far more intelligent than the Comes. But unlike many men, Makedonios did not mind that. He knew he was smart enough to get the job done and that was good enough for him. Her intelligence did not threaten him. He hoped she knew that. Makedonios had already gotten a good read on many men in the Senate and he could tell that many of those men could not handle being with a woman smarter than they.

All night, Makedonios tried to scribble on the piece of paper with his hands shaking. Little rolled up balls of paper littered the floor. He didn't know how to put his feelings down on paper. He glanced at a small Orthodox cross on the wall from time to time. First praying for forgiveness for his impure thoughts. Then for strength. Now he prayed for guidance. Nothing came to mind.

Giving up, the Grandmaster got up and snuffed out the candle. Putting his robe over his clothes, he left the room, and quietly padded through the Order's chambers in the Senate building. He just needed to get some air. It was an unusually hot night but there was a breeze. Strolling down the path along the Magnaura, he saw the palace. He wondered which window was hers.

Standing there thinking, he realized that if he wrote to her tonight, he'd just be putting his own problems on her. Sure he was conflicted and confused. But why did he think earlier that she could possibly help him with that? He did put some of his work problems on her but she had asked to help. But this was different. This would be putting his emotional problems on her. He still didn't know what to do. But he knew he would somehow just have to work through it. And it would do neither of them any good to have him dump his emotional baggage on her.

Saying a prayer for her, Makedonios walked back into the Senate building to go to bed.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 06-04-2008 at 03:07.

Duke of Nicosia

Kantakouzinos residence the next evening after the banquet.

Ioannis returned home from Senate session in a good mood. Long gone were the agonizing thoughts of the morning, when he was expecting of being arrested or even deported.

The day had been eventful and in the end, after some more then comical events, the young Kantakouzinos had to leave the Senate session with almost hysterical laughter.

As Ioannis reached the Kantakouzinos residence, Naksos was waiting him already outside. With a meaningful expression on his face, the old man handed over a letter bearing a royal seal.Ioannis took the letter and without saying anything looked at Naksos, with inquiring expression on his face. The old man answered with a smile and nodding of his head.

As soon as Ioannis reached his bedroom he sat down and cut open the seal with a letter knife. His eyes moved along the first few lines and a large smile entered the face of young Kantakozinos. Towards the end of the letter, the smile dimmed and Ioannis raised his head few times, with pondering expression in his face. When he reached the end of the letter, Ioannis remained sitting still, watching as the flame of the large candle standing on his desk, created dancing shadows around his table. Slowly he pushed the letter aside, grabbed paper and started writing on it. Once he was finished, Ioannis took his seal from a draw of his desk, poured some wax on the envelop and pressed hard his seal to the wax, with smile, but also somewhat troubled expression on his face.

After few minutes of stillness, Ioannis said in a silent voice.

"Naksos, enter."

The older man who had already stood behind the heavy wooden door of Ioannis bedroom marched in and bowed to his master. Ioannis looked sharply in the eyes of the older man and said.

"Deliver this letter to the Princess and do not let it slip in wrong hands, even if you had to guard it with your life."

Bowing his head, Naksos took the letter and left the room, while the younger man remained still, watching the flame of the single candle, lighting the room.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 06-04-2008 at 11:11.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast