Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Magnaura

Default Re: The Magnaura

The orders newest sergeant enters the senate quietly. A simple looking nobleman from the remoter part of Greece, he is somewhat intimidated by the magnificence. Vartholomaios Ksiros walks a few steps inside, then decides not to enter the company of his peers at the Orders table but instead keeps standing by the wall, trying to not lean too obviously to the wall.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Makedonios sees Vartholomaios holding a wall up and smiles at the sergeant while waving at him to come over and sit with his comrades.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Armatos enters the Magnaura. After scanning the room he takes a seat with the rest of the Order.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Savvas ek Militou entered the Magnaura. His face was pale and he was clearly feeling sick.

Suffering from the grandmother of all hang-overs, he entered just when Makedonios made his rebellious statement.

Savvas calmly smiled at Makedonios.

"The Caesar merely asked to swear allegiance to the Basileus. Why wouldn't you want to do that?", he said, with a raw voice.

He walked a bit further and said with a louder voice: "I swear allegiance to Aleksios Komnenos, Basileus of Rome."

He walked towards the seat between Philippos and Michail, nodding at them. Before sitting down, he turned around.

"I would like to propose an Edict. Before the beginning of each Magnaura, every Senator present has to swear allegiance to the Basileus of Rome. He who refuses, will be tried for high treason. A commission of three Senators, picked by the majority of the Magnaura will decide over the fate of the traitor."

Savvas calmly took his seat.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Ioannis Kantakouzinos returns to the Senate and walks back to the same seat he had yesterday.After reading what has been said so far he smiles to himself and thinks.

"I wonder what kind of argument there will be before the Basileos enters the session, or maybe thats exactly what he is planning. Monitoring who will go after whom´s throat. At least it seems that the Cypriot has no respect towards the Caesar, i guess its easy to grow an independent mind in a far away island. Maybe the master of order will soon learn that he is in fact in Constantinopol and not in his island."
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 06-02-2008 at 08:51.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Methodios Tagaris stands up to speak.

I will swear allegiance when and only when the Basileus will be in attendance. There is no point in swearing allegiance without looking to your Lord so that he can the bottom of your soul at a glance.

When this session will be duly opened, I will second the Edict proposed by Savvas ek Militou. Until then, I suggest we all remain queit and wait for Our Emperor to make his appearance before this noble assembly.

Methodios sits back down, with a nod to Savvas ek Miilitou.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Ioannis smiles, and then rises to address Comes Ksanthopoulos.

Ah, Makedonios! It is good to see someone hear who cares for the plight of our fellow Christians under the bondage of the heathen.

But do you really call me a third party? I am suprised at your tone. Surely you must know that I am my father's son and his heir. My father and I are very close; we trust each other. Indeed, I am Caesar of the Romans. Such a position is not bestowed lightly.

Perhaps you had overlooked these things. Swear your allegiance to my father, and I will bear no grudge. I am not a man to hold grudges.

The Caesar resumes his seat.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Savvas stares silently at Makedonios, his lips forming the word "traitor".

He smiled and waited for the Basileus.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Hypatios enters and smiles widely at the Caesar, apparently oblivious of the tension between him and Makedonios. Hypatios takes a seat in the Asteri benches, though not too close to Anastasios as the man seems to be talking to himself.

Savvas calls a servant. He whispered something in the girls' ear. The servant nods and quickly puts what looks like a little piece of parchmant in her sleeve. She walks away.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Vartholomaios ambles to the Order's table, relieved that someone has noticed him. He sits down and nods to his comrades and then concentrates on watching the various speakers.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Savvas nods back to Methodios Tagaris and stands up.

My dear Methodios, I'd like to remember you that the word of the Protoasecretes is decisive on the opening and closing of the Magnaura Sessions.

This session has already been duly opened by the Protoasecretes and my Edict has been validly proposed. It can be seconded as we speak.

Savvas sits down again, waiting for Methodios' response.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Methodios rises and answers the waiting Savvas.

While I do not seek to demean the work of the Protoasecretes, I do not believe that a session is truly opened until the Basileus has made its appearance and declared it so (this said with a finger pointing to the empty Throne).

So until then, I will reserve my secondment of your Edict. But second it I will... Then...

Methodios sits back down. His gaze remains on the large doors through which the Basileus should appear, a patient look settling on his face.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Strator Efstratios Monomachos arrives in the Senate wearing full clown regalia. His shoes are large and floppy, his bowtie enormous. His nose is a large red ball, and his face painted up like a prostitute on a drinking binge. His wild and curly hair is rainbow-coloured, the buttons on his shirt are all different colours. His oversized pants are held up only by a small bit of rope. After several Senators notice his appearance, he somewhat inaudibly and embarrassingly mutters in their direction;

My apologies, but I have just come from the local hospital, where I was performing my duties as a public servant by entertaining orphaned children who are very ill. Rest assured, I am ready to serve the Emperor by swearing allegiance to him and by serving our people as a Senator.

The Senators continue to stare, so Efstratios takes several pomegranates he had hidden in his enormous pants and begins to juggle them. The Senators turn their noses up at this silly man and look away, ignoring him.

Good. Let's just focus on the legislation, shall we?

Satisfied, Efstratios puts the pomegranates back in his huge pockets and sits down.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Pavlos had filed in with the other Senators during the beginning of the Session and had positioned himself in the back, near the Ceasar Ioannis Komnenos and has since followed the proceedings with a disinterested scowl on his face.

Finally he steps forward to adress the Senate. He is a burly man whose most noticable feature, now that he is not wearing his bevor, is a thick scar running from the left corner of his mouth down over his chin and neck. His natural grim expression is only enhanced by the eternal downcast of his mouth. Raising a fist to his heart he turns toward the empty throne.

"I Pavlos Chrysovergos pledge my loyalty to the Basileus Aleksios Komnenos and to his heir Ioannis Komnenos, may the Gods smile on them and may the Empire prosper under their rule."

Turning his gaze over the assembled nobles his expression darkens even more: "Everyone here would do well to heed the Caesars call."

He turns back towards the assembled Komnenodoukais and takes his seat in the front row.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Makedonios lifts an eyebrow when he sees Savvas mouth the word "traitor" at him. He finally stands up, leans over his table, and puts his palms down flat on the surface. Staring hard at Savvas, he speaks,

If a Senator would like to call me a traitor, then I suggest he not be a coward and say the word out loud to my face.

Straightening up, he turns to face the Caesar.

I meant no disrespect. But I am confident that the Emperor is more than capable of making his own feelings known. If he is uncertain of any man's loyalty, I believe the man in question will find out soon enough in an unpleasant manner.

Therefore, my oath is reserved for him, when he requests it. No one but him has the right to question my loyalty to him. And I will assure him of that loyalty. But on his terms.

Turning now to address the Senate,

Is this how we start off the session? With threats and fear? I am saddened to see that some men responded so meekly. I thought I was sitting in a room full of generals...

Now I strongly suggest everyone have patience and await the Emperor's arrival. Then we can let him know in person how we feel about him.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 06-02-2008 at 15:37.

Duke of Nicosia

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

*Khristophoros Diogenis eagerly stands and declares himself.*

I wholeheartedly proclaim my undying allegiance to Basileus Aleksios Komnenos and the entire Komneni dynasty. May they reign eternal and return the world to its rightful place under Roman rule.

*The Strator looks around, hesitantly. The entire Senate appears to be waiting for the Basileus to speak, but he is nowhere to be seen. With the Protoasecretes growing visibly impatient with the delay in discussion of legislation, Diogenis clears his throat and begins to speak.*

It is only right and proper that the Basileus be the first man to speak at length in this Senate, but our job is first and foremost to serve the Basileus, and this we do not do by stalling. We must set about the affairs of the Empire immediately, for further delay simply risks leaving important issues undiscussed when the time for debate runs out. I am certain that the Basileus would prefer that we commence with the business of Byzantium, rather than risking her security due to timidity and excessive manners.

I will begin by discussing the obvious; the Empire is not what it used to be. We have suffered greatly at the hands of the Turks and the mismanagement of the Doukid dynasty. The legacy of Manzikert still stains us. Yet we are not strong enough to be able to confront our eastern enemies just yet. Should we immediately plunge into war with the Muslim horsemen, we will be badly handled, as we will have neither the treasury nor the manpower to support a large-scale war. We must therefore devote our immediate efforts to reigning in the independant provinces that no longer heed the word of the Basileus. I propose the following Edict:

Edict 1.2: All military assets will be devoted to the conquest of the rebel settlements of Canakkale, Arta, Durazzo, Scopia, Sofia, Sinop, Smyrna, Rhodes, and Trebizond before they can be released for other purposes. No attack will be made on any foreign nation until this reconquest is complete. This Edict does not apply to any of the above settlements which are conqured by a foreign nation before they are reincorporated into the Empire. This Edict is void if a foreign nation attacks the Empire.

We must gather our strength, Senators, so that we will be strong enough to survive the struggles ahead. Reasserting Constantinople's rule over these wayward provinces is an absolute necessity. I urge you to second my Edict and to vote for it.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-02-2008 at 14:43.

Methodios Tagaris rises, anger seething in his eyes.

You have spoken almost the exact same words I did earlier, Comes Ksanthopoulos and I thank you for your support.

As for the name-calling, I would have stood up to correct the one who proferred the outrageous words, had I heard or noticed anything.

Senators, the debate has not begun yet and already we throw harsh words at one another's face...

Think of what our Basileos will think of us... Senators... Nay, schoolboys, rather...

We ought to be the best of the best of what the empire has to offer and see how we quarrel like the lowest of dock-hands...

Get a grip on yourself before our Lord's arrival, for God's sake...

And you, Caesar, with all the respect due to your family name, for some years still, you are only but the shadow of your father... One day, you will ascend that throne but until then you have no right to question the loyalty of the men gathered in these halls.

We are all loyal servants of the Empire and loyal servants of your father but our declarations of loyalty, if need be, are for the Basileos to demand, and for him only...

Pardon me if I spoke harshly but diplomacy is not my cup of tea. My place is on a battlefield where such niceties have no place.

Bowing with deference to the Prince, Tagaris sits back down, angered with himself for having spoken while pleading for silence.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Savvas stood up from his seat.

"I see Makedonios easily looses his temper. Maybe that's what an ascetical lifestyle does to a man."

Some laughter could be heard.

"I'd say have a few goblets of wine and spend the night with one of our beautiful servant girls, my esteemed colleague. No better cure against a bad temper then a complete capitulation to the pleasures of the Flesh."

Savvas grinned. More laughter followed.

"But enough of this. I'm terribly sorry for being a nitpicker, my dear Khristophoros Diogenis, but I believe the Edict you just proposed is Edict 1.2.

For good measure, I'll repeat the Edict I proposed a bit earlier:

Edict 1.1.: Before the beginning of each session of the Magnaura, every Senator present has to swear allegiance to the Basileus of Rome. He who refuses, will be tried for high treason. A commission of three Senators, picked by the majority of the Magnaura will decide over the fate of the traitor.

Savvas went back to his seat, an amused expression on his face
    Last edited by Andres; 06-02-2008 at 14:40.

Ja mata, TosaInu

My apologies, Strator ek Militou, I am new to this body and must have missed that Edict amongst all the commotion. I thought everyone was simply swearing allegiance to the Basileus out of true faith and honesty, not actual legislation. That was my intent, at least.

I have re-numbered my Edict accordingly, and I thank you for your correction.

OOC: Proper format for proposing legislation is:

Edict/Amendment X.X: Text

Just like with voting in Mafia, the bolding helps them stand out. I'll alter the first post to include this information.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-02-2008 at 14:48.

Pavlos raps on his table loudly.

"Hear! Hear! I second Edict 1.2! Bringing those rebellious provinces back under Imperial control should be our first and foremost concern."

He turns towards Savvas ek Militou and with a sideglance to one of the scribes starts to speak.

"I fear for your Edict 1.1 to even be in effect for the start of the next Diet Session it would have to be a Charter Amendment. Fortunately you lack the rank to propose one. The word of a nobleman once given should not have to be repeated at every corner!"
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Ignoring Savvas, Makedonios speaks.

I prefer we wait to hear the opening statements of the Basileus before we start binding his hands with edicts.

Duke of Nicosia

Savvas looks amused at Pavlos.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Ioannis Kantakouzinos stands up from the seat of the Imperials and says:

"As you all must know there is a banquet in few hours held in the Ducas residence. I must regrettably inform you that i will take my leave, but will return the minute i receive message about the Basileos approaching the senate."

Kantakouzinos marches out from the Senate building.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 06-02-2008 at 15:35.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Hearing Khristophoros Diogenis’ proposed edict, Anastasios stirs. In a somewhat blunt voice, he addresses the Senator:

Would Senator Diogenis be willing to amend his proposed edict to include the castle of Bari in southern Italy? The castle answers to none of the western powers and would be a vital foothold for the empire in the west. We surely should not abandon our Italian holdings completely. It would only show weakness and cowardice.

Bari is certainly a historic Byzantine possession and must be returned to us. I was hesitant to list it simply because it should be a lower priority than our immediate surroundings for obvious reasons. If Bari is still controlled by an independant ruler by the time we have regained control of the Balkans and the coast of Anatolia, it should certainly be regained at once. I simply would not want to give it priority over the other provinces I listed, as it would be far worse for one of those settlements to be occupied by a foreign power than Bari. I feel similarly, about Adana and Antioch, settlements which I know arouse a great deal of passion amongst the members of the Order of St. John.

Simply put, there are a great many provinces that are the rightful possession of Basileus Aleksios Komnenos. This includes Italy and Outremer. However, retaking those provinces will require much strength due to the tenacity of the foreign powers located nearby. We must make sure that we first build this strength in our core provinces, otherwise we risk over-stretching our already meager resources. We must be fast and efficient with our endeavors, making sure that every coin is spent where it will be of the greatest use, and ensuring that no Roman blood is spilled unless it provides a tangible increase to the security and prosperity of the entire Empire.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-02-2008 at 17:46.

I assure you Senator that if I was given but a hundred men and ferried across the sea, I could take Bari and hold it against all comers! There is a simple difference between Bari and Antioch. Bari is in Italy, the cradle of Roman civilization! A simple stretch of sea separates it from Greece, not miles upon miles of Turkish territory! We have no right to deny our brothers in Italy the support of our arms!

I have consulted the Map Room and you do have a point, Strator Neokaisareitis. The waterway between Greece and Apulia is narrower than I thought, and that land has been Byzantine for hundreds of years. A conquest would be feasible and would indeed be a liberation of our people, instead of pure conquest. I am still hesitant about giving it a priority, though, since such an expedition requires a fleet. While there is a small fleet nearby, the Order of St. John has a greater need of ships, and I would not want to make the Megas choose between the large expense of building a new fleet and depriving that worthy alliance of their only means of transportation. Still, there is wisdom in your words, so I will amend my Edict to make Bari an optional province, if the Megas deems it worthy. I will also transfer Trebizond into the 'optional' category, simply because it is so far away from our core provinces at this present time. The revised Edict reads as follows:

Edict 1.2: All military assets will be devoted to the conquest of the rebel settlements of Canakkale, Arta, Durazzo, Scopia, Sofia, Sinop, Smyrna, and Rhodes before they can be released for other purposes. Bari and Trebizond may be included in this list at the discretion of the Megas Logothetes. No attack will be made on any foreign nation until this reconquest is complete. This Edict does not apply to any of the above settlements which are conquered by a foreign nation before they are reincorporated into the Empire. This Edict is void if a foreign nation attacks the Empire.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Begging your pardon Senator Neokaisareitis, but there are no Turks between Cyprus and Antioch. In fact, the Order could have the city under siege by 1083 with a strong force. In order for us get as a close to Bari we would first need to seize Durazzo.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 06-02-2008 at 18:26.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

I do support and second Edict 1.2 in its current form.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast