Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Default Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

It;s an odd question to ask from a preson who personally disagreed with him on many issues, and personally got upset with him at least once (over a silly issue, I might add,) but according to his profile, he has not been to the org in more than half a year. He was a man for whom I have much respect, and I now miss him. Does anybody know what has become of him?

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

Great guy had lots of fun debating politics with him, half decent at multiplayer as well...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Gawain suffered a family tragedy, which knocked his posting down to zero. He came back very briefly, but it looks as though he wasn't getting the same pleasure from debating that he had before. I hope he'll come back, but on his terms and in his own time. And only if he enjoys it.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I miss Kapo too. The whole thing with Gawain was tragic (it was his brother, I believe?), and I hope, like Lemur said, he's back on his own time and when he gets the same pleasure from debating that he once did.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Yep, I miss ol' Gawain. The Great Immovable Object of the Org.
    Unto each good man a good dog

I think it is safe to say me and him got in the most scraps between each other than anyone else - but he was a great guy and I always had the utmost respect for him, even if sometimes I didn't declare it in my posts. I miss the guy, the tragedy with his family happened at a time when I wasn't posting here and so I didn't get to say farewell to him. The org is and specifically the backroom, is a poorer place for not having him here.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I thought of him lately and agree it would be nice to have him back, if he wants to come back that is.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Default Sv: Re: Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

He is over at TWC I think posting as Rush Limbaugh.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

He did come back for a short while, I think mainly on issues relating to Ron Paul. And, contrary to the posts now proclaiming respect, his views were quite brutally blasted and I haven't seen him since. To be quite honest, he did post in utmost seriousness some very curious links about Jesuit conspiracies and the like, and I didn't quite know what to think.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Whatever happened to Pindar? Now there is a guy I really miss.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

I miss Gawain , it was fun trying to find out which fruitcake websites he was taking his cut and pastes from .
    That Sihk extremist terrorist one was quite hard to track down , but it made a nice change from the crazy zionist ones .

Whatever happened to Pindar?
    His light shineth not but the light isn't the question because illumination isn't the answer as it doesn't comply with the light that he wants it to .
    Pindar was amazing , he could go on for page after page simply avoiding a question that he didn't like the answer to .

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Pindar was amazing , he could go on for page after page simply avoiding a question that he didn't like the answer to .
    It takes one to know one, I guess.

Pindar asked interesting questions, which is probably more important to our forum than giving the 'right' answers - let alone giving the same answers all the time. And no, that's not directed at you, Tribesy. You usually have a surprise up you sleeve.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 06-14-2008 at 12:41.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree. Most answers can be found on the Internet, generally taking a few seconds to find. Questions are far harder.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

It was probably more that you did not like his answer than it was that he avoided your question or it was probably you did not understand his answer.
    RIP Tosa

It was probably more that you did not like his answer than it was that he avoided your question or it was probably you did not understand his answer.
    No Dave it is that he would switch into typical lawer mode and studiously avoid anything whatsoever that weakened his case .

No Dave it is that he would switch into typical lawer mode and studiously avoid anything whatsoever that weakened his case .
    That's true. But he also had a very subtle sense of humour that had me roaring with laughter behind my keyboard from time to time. I really miss our old sparring partner.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

I miss Gawain too! Old times...

For that matter, where's AntiochiusIII? Econ21? Shajihikata (or something)? And the incredible Red Harvest, if anybody remembers him? They're all sorely missed!
    And speaking of great minds, where's Bijo, surely the most accomplished logician to have ever graced the .Org?

And I also remember this one guy, brilliant but a complete pompous piss - Haruchai? If only he were here now he'd be in for it from me...
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : Whatever happened to Gawain of Orkney?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    I miss Gawain too! Old times...

For that matter, where's AntiochiusIII? Econ21? Shajihikata (or something)? And the incredible Red Harvest, if anybody remembers him? They're all sorely missed!
    And speaking of great minds, where's Bijo, surely the most accomplished logician to have ever graced the .Org?

And I also remember this one guy, brilliant but a complete pompous piss - Haruchai? If only he were here now he'd be in for it from me...
    Heck, all the good debaters are pompous pisses, and that includes you. We should have an alumni day with those who left us.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Speak for yourselve I am just .
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 06-14-2008 at 18:01.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Speak for yourselve I am just .
    That's why he said good debater
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 06-14-2008 at 18:01. Reason: Edited quote

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S View Post
    He did come back for a short while, I think mainly on issues relating to Ron Paul. And, contrary to the posts now proclaiming respect, his views were quite brutally blasted and I haven't seen him since. To be quite honest, he did post in utmost seriousness some very curious links about Jesuit conspiracies and the like, and I didn't quite know what to think.
    For the record, you arent the only one who remembers Gawains comeback as less the glorious. Gawain's achillies heel was he loved his country and his skin wore thinner as time went on.

Don't honestly recall the admiration/respect at the time, but I had a couple of opportunities to chat with him in PM in some detail. He's a good guy who seems to choose the bits and pieces of reality that suited him and created his own ideal.

Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Odin; 06-15-2008 at 04:30.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Man... I just remembered him as an okay dude with good taste in music. Damn.

I never agreed with his political views, as far as I remember, but he kicked my ass, and everyone else's, when it came to music.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 06-15-2008 at 04:56.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Pindar formally resigned in reaction to an altercation with a moderator in which he felt he was treated rather unfairly. I don't think it was so cut and dry as he took it, but I understand him being upset. I don't think he'll ever post here again, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he comes in to read.

Gawain just lost his 'joie de vie' around here. Yes, a large part of it was the tragic loss of his brother, I think he gave up on us too, though with a whimper, as opposed to Pindar's bang. It wasn't entirely his fault, he was becoming a man without a country towards the end, and I don't think he knew who he was angrier at, the crazy lefties in Washington or the crooked righties.

I have a theory about long timers on the board. Much like Anne Rice's discussion of vampire's periodic need to 'slumber away' for long spells, I think the Org can wear on us, as it is frustrating as it is intoxicating at times.

I miss them both and if they do lurk, Be Well! and know that I hold you both in high regard.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Blog Entries

I came in near Gawain's waning days, prior his family disaster. I always held him in high esteem, even if I didn't necessarily agree with him, he seemed stubborn but concise and clear on why he was stubborn. A trait most Orgahs don't have these days. Anyways, if your still lurking, you are really a cool dude.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conradus View Post
    That's why he said good debater
    hmmmrph BG took out the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Pindar formally resigned in reaction to an altercation with a moderator in which he felt he was treated rather unfairly. I don't think it was so cut and dry as he took it, but I understand him being upset. I don't think he'll ever post here again, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he comes in to read.
    Thank you very much for that piece of information. I never knew this. It is very bad news for me.

It feels weird to post here knowing that Pindar may be reading the forum (he is still a member with Backroom privilege, I checked). It probably sounds melodramatic - but if he reads this, then let this be my salute to a worthy opponent and someone who - behind his tough, rational and lawyerly appearance - is as deeply romantic as I am. We share a profound love and respect for the oldest written sources of mankind, and will never cease to marvel at the words of those earliest preachers, thinkers and scribes. I hate to think that we will never have one of those pagelong threads in the Monastery again, around Christmas or Easter, in which Pindar and me and other interested members took each other's measure and exchanged tentative views and incomplete thoughts.

So this is one unhappy Adrian II. And I am not satisfied that this was inevitable. Please PM me about the matter, anyone who feels like it.

I wanna know what happened...

Ahh yes Haruchai, a master debater.

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I remember reading some of Gawain's posts when I was first making forays into the backroom (Mainly as a lurker), and he always had a very well-thought-out opinion.

Now excuse my ignorance, but what country was he from? And please don't say Orkney. I will feel like an idiot...
    Last edited by CountArach; 06-15-2008 at 13:40.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I remember reading some of Gawain's posts when I was first making forays into the backroom (Mainly as a lurker), and he always had a very well-thought-out opinion.

Now excuse my ignorance, but what country was he from? And please don't say Orkney. I will feel like an idiot...
    USA

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I do think he had some strange views (among the more sensible ones that I could agree with) but regardless he was a great guy. I don't recall him ever being impolite towards another orgah, wich is rare enough here. I hope he drops by again some day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast