Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demosthenes the General - 425 BCE

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: Demosthenes the General - 425 BCE

I've just read Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan (again!), and I've decided I'll give this another shot. It's unfair of me to penalize Franc for making a wise decision. So I'll take your suggestion, and hopefully I'll have a (large???) update by next week. I'll see how this works out.

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Great!
    Go on!!!!

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In few weeks I can also join.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Rhegium, Italy, Spring 425 BCE
    Demosthenes followed the friendly Senator as he weaved his way across the Rhegium agora. Surrounding Demosthenes was the alien town, bustling in strange colors and with strange customs. There were Greeks, but also Italians like the Etruscans, Sabines, and Samnites. There were Carthaginian traders, Spanish and Gaulish merchants. All crowded into this one agora. Spectacular. Demosthenes pressed on through the heaving crowd as he followed the Senator (who moved very fast for someone approaching 70), who arrived before the open bronze doors of the Rhegium Senate.
    "Wait here, I'll announce you." That was all the Senator said as he disappeared into the seats of Senators of Rhegium. Quickly a herald appeared and announced loudly, hushing the assembled Senators.
    "General Demosthenes of Athens to speak before the Senate."

Demosthenes strode in boldly, his blue cape lined with chasing dolphins dragging on the marble floor. The Senators eyed him quietly, sizing up the Athenian warmaker before he ever began to speak. Demosthenes stopped in the middle of the semi-circle of Senators and put his hands behind his back. (Deep breath)
    "Senators of Rhegium, I come from Athens, and I come in peace. I'm leading with my two generous commanders a naval armada to defeat the threat of Syracuse and bring peace to the island of Sicily and her surrounding environs. My armada of 50 ships is no great fleet to subdue you or any honest Greek city-state. We are protecting our allies in Sicily, as you would your allies. We are humble supplicants, asking for your help in protecting Sicilians from the Syracusans, by lending us soldiers and ships to drive the Syracusans from their ill-gotten gains and restoring them to the, to use your tongue, "ante-bellum" situation. If you do not seek to assist us, it will be your loss when we divide up the spoils of Syracuse to all those she wronged on this island and beyond. Thank you Senators."
    Demosthenes then bowed and looked to exit by the bronze doors, but the two heralds shook their heads, and Demosthenes turned to the assembled Senators.
    "Demosthenes, why have you really come here? What is your purpose in this part of the world?"
    "I'm here, Senator, to prevent the tyranny of Syracuse. Leontini has asked for our help, and we are here to assist."
    "Surely, Demosthenes, you heard of the Congress of Gela? Sicily is at peace."

"Ah, yes, that false peace. If that is so, then why does Syracuse need allies in Messana? Why do Syracusans hold other Greeks in bondage? We are here, by order of the Athenian Congress, to drive Syracusans from their hostage cities, to defeat Syracuse and her allies, and to liberate the Greeks from the Syracusan yoke."
    "I think Demosthenes this is simply Athenian imperialism, taken to a new level. Far from your stomping grounds in the Aegean, aye Athenian?"
    If I was here to conquer Greeks and expand the Athenian hegemony, then I would've brought more ships.
    Thank you, Demosthenes, that is all
    Demosthenes strode out, head high as the Senators began to deliberate.

Athenian Naval Depot on Lipari Islands, Spring 425 BCE
    The ships were all cantered on the shore, being scrubbed clean by her crews. Today was a day of light duty as the transports, troop transports, and warships were all being cleaned up and polished. Demosthenes was still in Rhegium, assembling and drilling the soldiers of Italy. Rhegium figured out they had more to gain from this war than to sit on the side-lines. They and their allies ended up providing almost 5,000 soldiers along with 30 warships of various conditions. Now Sophocles, Eurymedon, and Demosthenes' 2nd, Alexander, were all working out the details of their next move.
    "We can't move too many men from Himera. The Carthaginians would move in, especially if they see Sicily's strongest forces bleeding each other dry. We head inland, get more troops, and then hit Messana. Link up with Demosthenes, head south." Sophocles proposed first.
    "I say we move south to Pachynus, down south. Hit there, move west, to Camerina. We then drop me off with enough soldiers, and then we'll march across Sicily to Leontini. Show how really impotent these Syracusans are, even in their back yard." Eurymedon proposed.
    "We move to the Greek fort, demonstrate against Messana, and then Demosthenes hits them from the harbor while they watch the land troops." Alexander proposed.

Syracuse Senate
    Midas, a Carthaginian trader and "friend of Athens" watched the deliberations of the Syracusan Congress, as most Syracusans were. The Syracusans were afraid, angry, and ready to fight. Not surprising, really, but that's what they were. Hemocrates, the "genius of Gela" stood before the assembly as he decried the "Imperialism of Athens" and the "Debauchery of the Italians". He knew how to stir up a crowd, and the Syracusans were already mad. Midas took notes, careful notes, as he watched. Two paymasters wanted this information, and he had to get one unbiased copy at least. Hemocrates finally got to what Midas wanted. The call-up.
    "We Syracusans must gather our armies, our navies, our allies, and prepare for the coming struggle. Therefore, I propose we call up all levels of soldiers in Syracuse. We send embassies to our allies, to prevent the Tyranny of Athens, we build ships, and we appeal to Sparta and Corinth. Onward, my friends, for today we see the beginning of the Athenian downfall."

Choices - You can open these to interpretation within the general framework.
    1. Sophocles Plan
    2. Eurymedon Plan
    3. Alexanders Plan

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Welcome back Marshall - good to see this IH back.

I like the look of Alexander's plan - quite simple and makes good use of our best asset - the mobility given to us by the fleet. Messana is the target, so let's not mess about with other things. The fort and the fleet give us a route out if necessary.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Yes, it is nice to see it running again.

And it is nice to see that our little platoon grew to an army, now.
    Are there any details about our troops? Do we have information about the stregth and destribution of the enemy's navy?

I assume that we command all Greek forces on the map, right?

So now we have an army equal to the army of the enemy. That is good. Yet, Messana is strongly fortified and has a good garrison. We would get a bloody nose attack them from the land or the see side.

Therefore, I would make some other proposals, although I am still uncertain and open for any idea.

First of all, we should send the message we have from the Suracusians to Athens. Tell them that Syracuse is preparing a powerful campaign with strong land and sea forces. This will underline the importance of our mission and maybe give us some golden gifts. Also tell the senate that we found new allies.

About Messana: although this is not the goal of our campaign, we should think about taking it. As I said before, every direct attack is in vane. Therefore, we should try to cut them off. The pro is, that the strong garrison has to be supplied. The con is, that Messana could be supplied be the sea route.

Therefore, we must destroy the fleet of our enemies!!!!
    There are three other good reasons for this. First of all, destroying the ships of the enemy will end the grain supply for Sparta, which is our main target. Second, after sinking all the enemy's ships, we will have free hands for the rest of our adventure. Last, but not least, let's make our new allies fight immediately. A naval victory and they will hardly want to change sides. Furthermore they would benefit from the victory, too.

Therefore I say find the ships of the enmy and sink them. I assume that the main squad is at Syracuse, therefore we should attack them there. So go for it and do it now, before they get the fleet alert!!

In the meanwhile our army can start to block from the land side. If we destroy the enemies fleet - which we will if KK commands it - then we can extend our efforts.
    We should build one ring around Messina. Fortify our fort and 2,000 men are enough to defend it.
    Then we should land south at Leontini with 5,000. This will force the cities there to join us and we can build another line of defence along the river to stop all troops coming from Syracuse.

A final raid to the southern coast to distract the enemies attantion and to release us from unpleasant company.

How about that?

At this point, we should make peace offers! We do not want to conquer this part of the world - not yet I mean.
    Last edited by Franconicus; 05-12-2009 at 04:25.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Is it only me and Franc that like playing as Greeks???
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

I've been busy. I'll play next chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

I''ll be posting the next chapter in a day or two, since my school has slacked off as of late and I'll have time.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I think Alexander's plan is the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Greek Fort, Summer 425 BCE Day 1
    Sophocles and Eurymedon watched from the ramparts as the troops marched in. About 3,000 men were marching to complement the 2,000 man garrison, another 2,000 troops on the road from Himera under Alexander. The Syracusan and Messenian troops were watching them, mounted and swift, ranging across the rolling hills of Northern Sicily. Local allied Sicels had driven many of the mounted menaces from their territory, but they were still hindering operations, especially reconnaissance and foraging. Luckily the warships were still operating, constantly bringing supplies from the Lipari Naval Depot and Rhegium, with the complements of Demosthenes.
    "We're going to need to bring up horsemen from somewhere. These mounted troops have made us blind in the face of the Messenians. I have it from Leontini sources that the territory down south is even worse for hoplitry." Sophocles shaded his eyes as he watched the sun set, listening to the steady clank-clank of armor and sandals.
    "Obviously, but how we're going to get them and pay for them is a problem. We need those troops, and the local Greeks know that too! They're gonna jack up the price since they know we're desperate for the cavalry," said Eurymedon.
    "That doesn't mean we can't get them. We'll get them somehow. Once Messana is captured, we'll deal with the problem." Sophocles said, and gulped silently.

Greek Fort, Summer 425 BCE, Day 2
    The Messanian troops had arrived about mid-day. Thousands of Messana troops were arrayed in a battle formation across the plain from the Greek Fort, watching the Athenian troops from behind a light screen of cavalry. The two generals and the men marched out under the ramparts, the Athenian troops leading on the right, about 2,000 men assembled. The center was held by 500 Mylae hoplites, and the left by 2,000 Athenian, Lipari, and Corcyran marines, the additional 500 peltasts ranging before the line of Allies.
    "6,000 Messanian troops, mostly hoplites. About 1,000 peltasts and 500 cavalry are included. I advise we hold off until Alexander arrives."
    "Goat-shit Eurymedon. We've got the numbers to hold off the hoplites. We'll attack."
    "Alexander's troops will give us an edge, especially with the numbers they have."
    "What happened to the 4,000 original troops in Messana?" Eurymedon asked.
    "I think the Messanian troops pulled one over on us. Trying to split our men up before we can link up."
    Sophocles replied.
    "Well, what are we going to do?"
    "Attack".

Sophocles pulled out 1,000 Athenian troops, holding them behind the right flank, as Eurymedon commanded the line of hoplites and marines. The whole line advanced in cadence, the Messanian troops marching forward to meet the bronze line. The plain of battle rumbled with the marching footsteps, the two lines shifting in battle as they prepared to meet. The horsemen rushed to try and disrupt the lines, but were driven back by peltasts. The Messanian peltasts rushed forward, but were met by another volley of javelins and the rushing Allied peltasts. Releasing a volley they retreated behind the line of Messanian hoplites, who continued the advance. The Messanian horsemen rallied with the peltasts, moving behind the right flank of the Messanian advance, facing the 2,000 Allied marines. Sophocles saw the move and stopped his hoplites, and turned them and marched to the far flank. The lines closed in closer, the men leveling spears quickly.
    Sophocles saw the Marines ready, but they were unsteady, even before the clash. His men marched a little quicker, moving down behind the line. Then the lines closed. Eurymedon and the Athenian hoplites smashed together with Messanian troops, lighter provincial troops. The Messanian right smacked into the Marines, who fought back as best they could. Sophocles dressed his line, watching, waiting. Then the Marines broke and the Messanian light troops gave chase through and around the Messanian line. The Athenian hoplites marched forward into the routing Marines. The Messanians had split up to allow the horsemen and peltasts through, seeing an easy victory. Then hundreds of Athenian hoplites appeared, marching forward in full battle panoply. Bronze shields glittered and spearpoints struck. The peltasts and horsemen were surprised to see them so close. Sophocles had held the men back because he supposed the horsemen would strike the critical right flank, but he assumed his right flank. The Messanian troops saw the pre-battle dispositions and knew what Sophocles was up to, so the horsemen changed flanks. The marching had obscured the Athenian march to their left, hiding Sophocles and his men until the Messanian troops were breaking through the Marines. Then like a thunderbolt the Athenians appeared, troops of a veteran caliber, striking the Messanians where they least expected it. The Messanian right and left broke, falling back to Messania or whatever refuge they could take. The horsemen suffered the most, riding pell-mell into what they thought were retreating Marines only to fall on the spears of Athenian hoplites.
    The Battle of the Greek Fort was over as the cavalry screened the Athenians from pursuing any farther.

Messania, Summer 425 BCE, Day 3
    Demosthenes and the Rhegium troops and ships had sheltered behind a squall line as they approached the harbor, hiding their approach. The Syracusans had reinforced their northern city, hoping to prevent the straits from falling to the Athenians. They had failed, as Demosthenes heard from a recent dispatch carrier, sent by Sophocles from the Greek Fort. The Messanians had sent out their whole army to defeat the Allies, or contain them while Syracuse sought out Demosthenes with their fleet. The Messanians had succeeded, even though they had suffered casualties in the action. The Athenians were making slow headway against the thickening screen of cavalrymen, who bowed back under the Athenian advance. Eurymedon and Sophocles had hired some cavalry, but they weren't able to advance as quickly as they had hoped. No matter, Demosthenes thought as he waited for the squall to drive in to shore. The ships weren't suffering too much, the Rhegian ships built for this weather. The Syracusans had sent their fleet northward, their ships at par with his fleet at the moment, but they had failed to find him. So they were in Messania, waiting out the squall. Demosthenes watched and waited as his ships slid closer and closer to the harbor entrance. The walls were shoddy, and poorly manned despite the news of Demosthenes leaving port. They failed to appreciate his sense of timing.
    The Messanian sentry watched with horror as the Rhegian ships splashed against the sea-wall. Inside, the Syracusan fleet was tied up or beached, waiting out the lashing squall. The sentry sought to raise the alarm, but was cut short by a swift Rhegian arrow. Several marines scaled the wall and secured the harbor entrance. Rain cut down and a howling wind heralded the arrival of Demosthenes into Messania.

Messania, Summer 425 BCE, Day 12
    The city of Messania was captured, the Messanian and Syracusan cavalry driven southward beyond Catania and Leontini, held at bay by the active patrolling of the Athenian allies. Demosthenes and the other Generals had assembled an army of 12,000 men in Messania with nearly 80 warships of various sizes and descriptions. The loot taken from the Syracusans significant, ensuring that the stretch of coast from Messania to Leotini was either held in alliance of peaceful and benign neutrality. The war was looking up. The three generals mulled over the next decision...

Sophocles: "I strongly suggest we set up a serious base here in Messania, send out calls for allies of Athens against Syracuse. We assemble a force that can both invest Syracuse for a siege, and also ensure that no other Sicilian city-state turns against us."

Eurymedon: "We move now, striking south to Syracuse. We invest the city, turn the aristocracy against the public, and pull down the city from the inside out."

Demosthenes: "I say we assemble troops in Leotini, send emissaries to the various city-states asking for support, appear that we are waiting for more help. We then send the bulk of our forces around to western Sicily, to Pacyhnus or Gela, attack and capture those cities, and then move in against the Syracusan state.

Hooray! Great news - great victory!

How to go on?
    Once again, I have a different view than the commanders. A great man once said that after a victory it is time for diplomacy. Let's go!

We have been sent here to end the support for Sparta, not to conquer new colonies, not to get involved into a neverending campaign. Our allies are uncertain - they do not want us dominating the island - and there is also Carthage.

So, here is my proposal.

Send an ambassador to Syracuse. Bring him the greetings from Athens as well as our respect for the good fight and our regreds that so highly civilized people have to fight each other.
    Let's end war. As we are on top, we will suggest the conditions:

1) We give back Messana as well as all POWs.
    2) All fortifications of Messana will be destroyed and stay destroyed.
    3) Syracuse will deliver her navy.
    4) Syracuse will pay us an annual tribute, big enough to hinder them from building a new fleet immediately, but not so high that they have to suffer or cannot defend against any enemy.
    5) This Syracusian politician who argued against Athens will be delivered to us, too.
    6) Athens will retreat from the island, but stay allied with the other Greek cities.

This agreement would have plenty of pros. We can concentrate back to the man war, while all support for Sparta is gone. Syra simply does not have the ships and will have to care for his own business. Our Italian allies will be pleased, Syra is weakened, their ships will dominate and they have to agree that there is no threa from Athens.

Then we sail back with our prisoner, new tribute and new allies.

In case Syra does not agree, our allies will see that it is necessary to go on fighting. Then we have to attack the fleet of Syracuse. Without the fleet, it is only a question of time until they have togive in.

Hmm... Once again, Franconicus is right, but partially. I suggest diplomacy, but to pursue an alliance with Carthage. If the Carthaginians help us against Syracuse and Sparta in exchange for the whole of Sicily afterward, everyone wins.
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonArchangel View Post
    Hmm... Once again, Franconicus is right, but partially. I suggest diplomacy, but to pursue an alliance with Carthage. If the Carthaginians help us against Syracuse and Sparta in exchange for the whole of Sicily afterward, everyone wins.
    No, we loose our Italian allies. They won't be pleased by a Carthagian superpower.

Question Re: Demosthenes the General - 425 BCE

Or we could arrange to divide up Syracuse's territory amongst our Italian allies if they help us destroy them.

Is there anything coming here?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12