Thread: weird glitch , screen going blue (and nuts)

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Default weird glitch , screen going blue (and nuts)

ok so this has happened to me 3 times in 3 hours of my AS camapaign gameplay

all of them when I was defending a city , but not always happens.

this is the glitch

as soon as the battle map loads, the screen goes crazy , everything turns sky blue and the pointer starts "lagging" badly , I can't even control it , suddendly the pointer leaves "traces" of itself all over the screen .

sorry if I can't describe it better , I even tried to take a screenshot but I couldn't.

now I think this is a hardware or even software problem , because IIRC once happened to me once in other mod , so , by chance does any of you know what could be the problem?
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Default Re: weird glitch , screen going blue (and nuts)

Try turning graphics settings down. What graphics card do you have, and what are your graphics settings on at the minute?

I've tried but doesn't work once it's triggered , there's nothing that can restore it AfAIK

I have a pesky crappy intel 128 mb intel graphic card
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post

I have a pesky crappy intel 128 mb intel graphic card
    That'll be the problem. They aren't really designed to do a lot, and the 128 MB of memory is probably shared system memory, and not dedicated. Set everything to lowest, see if that works, and then start turning things up until things start going wrong. That way you'll get the best settings possible on your card.
    Last edited by Chris_; 08-01-2008 at 21:00.

the thing is... that it doesn't happen every time

and I just can't stand to lower the graphics, I'll try to se if that solves it though

and that freakin card is attatched to my motherboard!
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 08-01-2008 at 22:07.
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

If it doesn't happen all the time, it could be overheating. My old card (a 7900) used to overheat (partially my fault), and produce all sorts of graphical artefacts. Make sure your computer has ventilation, and that air intakes on your computer aren't dusted up. (I can talk, I just scraped a layer off my fans )

Also, even though it's attached to your motherboard, if you were to put a better graphics card into one of the slots (AGP/PCI-e), you would be able to use the new card instead of the Intel one.
    Last edited by Chris_; 08-01-2008 at 22:16.

umm could be but I might have to add that it's a laptop... that reduce my choices ,

once I tried to change it but IIRC I had read somewhere that if my graphic card was attatched I was doomed... and that it was going to be impossible to change the graphics card.

I have a Hp Pavilion dv2125 btw

the overheating could also be a possibility , my lap isn't very good handling heat
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

I have yet to see a laptop with a spare PCIe slot; so I guess that's no dice then.

So the trick is to monitor:
    a) heat;
    b) noise (from the cooling fans).

If either gets really noticeable, you know it's time to save and quit; so the laptop can cool down.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

A little program I used to use when I was having heating issues was SpeedFan. It tells you how hot various components are running - it was how I found out my old processor was running at >80°C (!).