Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Capetians

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Rise of the Capetians

It is the year of our Lord 987 AD. Only fragments of the Carolingian dynasty of West Francia remain. On the 3rd of July Hugh Capet was proclaimed as "rex Francorum" at Noyon in Picardy. Unlike previous Carolingian monarchs, Hugh was elected by the nobles of France, justified at the coronation by the words of Adalberon: "Crown the Duke. He is most illustrious by his exploits, his nobility, his forces. The throne is not acquired by hereditary right; no one should be raised to it unless distinguished not only for nobility of birth, but for the goodness of his soul."

Not yet content that his dynasty was stablised, Hugh had his young son Robert crowned later in December that year, to rule in his stead while on campaign. While this may have consolidated Capetian authority within the Île-de-France, in reality a Capetian monarch could barely travel outside of this area, such was the lack of control over his supposed vassals. Even the royal lands of Laon and Reims are cut off by land held by the Count of Troyes and Meaux, cutting apart the royal domain.

Despite the Île-de-France being home to the only anointed monarchs within Western Francia, in many respects the southern parts of the Kingdom are far more powerful both economically and militarily. The Duchy of Aquitaine and the County of Toulouse both can field many more men than their King to the north. In the more Romanised parts of southern France, there is a much more developed infrastructure with the Meditterranean trade routs bringing great prosperity to the southern ports. The north remains comparatively underdeveloped, with much of it covered in dense woodland and only very basic farming techniques being practised.

Culturally, there is one clear divide within France. In the north, the culture of the Franks is dominant, and is that of the Capetian monarchs. Meanwhile, the south has its own culture, with the Roman-influenced Occitan language being widespread. There are also several smaller cultural groups around the borders of Western Francia. To the north, Brittany is the last continental bastion of the Bretons, a proud and independent people. Despite the end of serious Viking raids after 982 AD, Normandy has been massively influenced by the Norse culture, as can be seen in the ferocity of its knights. Flanders also has an increasingly divergent culture, influenced strongly by both West and East Francia. To the south, Basque influence is strong across the Pyrenees, and most notably in the southern parts of Gascony, a place where Capetian influence seems a world away.

War ravages across almost all of Western Francia. While the Capetian dynasty may appear to bring unity, in reality this will not be achieved until the great lords are subdued. Several states remain loyal to the recently-ended Carolingian dynasty, most notably the Counts of Blois and Troyes and Meaux, who both border the Capetian royal domain. Aquitaine, the greatest of the southern states, refuses to recognise the authority of the Capetians at all. Several of these rebellious duchies and counties would much rather achnowledge a Carolingian as their monarch, and Louis of Upper Lorraine is in many respects an ideal candidate. A powerful lord could even go so far as to proclaim himself king.

As well as dynastic conflict, there are many more localised wars being fought. Brittany has only recently recovered from occupation by Blois, and now must defend itself from the tyrannical Fulk III of Anjou. While Normandy is not involved in any direct conflict at the moment, it's good relations with Anjou and rivalry with Blois could soon see it engaged. Of more immediate concern in the fact that a revolt in Maine has seen a new rival emerge to challenge Norman power in the area, with a nobleman proclaiming himself Count Hugh II of Maine. In the south, Aquitaine is at war with Anjou, and forms a powerful block with Blois and Troyes and Meaux against the Capetians. Meanwhile Gascony is enjoying unprecedented peace with the last serious Viking raid being beaten back in 982 AD.

France is in a period of great turmoil. A strong monarch could unite the great lords to form a superpower of the medieval period. However, this will demand economic prosperity, military strength, and perhaps above all diplomatic genius in a time where civil war or even more widespread anarchy looms over.

I've always planned to do something along the lines of an interactive history for a long time. In the past, my ideas have got pretty bogged down in rules that make things impossible to manage, and so I'm going to keep things simple and use as few numbers and statistics as possible. While most of the mechanics will take place through player decisions and PM's etc, there are some things that need to be taken note of, especially for dealing with succession crises and other complicated issues:

The Map (important for reference):

Royal and Noble Families:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Capetian Dynasty:

Hugh Capet is married to Adelaide, and they have four children.
    Hedwig and Gisele are both married to minor nobles.
    Their third child is Robert, and the fourth is Adela, who is just coming to a suitable age to be married.
    Hugh is also the brother of Odo-Henry, Duke of Burgundy.

Duchy of Brittany:

Conan is married to Ermengarde, daughter of Geoffrey I of Anjou (Count of Anjou till 987).
    They have one young daughter, Judith, and three sons: Judicael, Geoffrey, and Hernod.

Duchy of Normandy:

Richard is married to Gunnor, having been in a previous marriage to Emma of France which produced no children.
    The eldest child is Richard, followed by Robert, Godfrey, and Mauger (all male).
    Another son named Robert died in 985, when their daugher Emma was born.

County of Anjou:

Fulk is the founder of the Angevin house, and an extrememly cruel and ambitious character.
    He is married to Elisabeth, and has one young daugher, Adela.

County of Blois:

Odo I has recently been married to Bertha, and they have had two children.
    Robert died young, while Theobald is still an infant.

County of Troyes and Meaux:

Herbert is in a marriage to a woman of minor nobility which has so far produced on son.
    Stephen his son is still young, and heir to Herbert's title.

County of Flanders:

Arnulf is married to Rozala, and has one young son, Baldwin.
    Arnulf himself is in poor health and may soon be at death's door...

Duchy of Burgundy:

Odo-Henry is the brother of the French King Hugh Capet.
    Odo-Henry married Gerberga in 973, through whom he has one stepson, Otto-William.

Duchy of Aquitaine:

William is the brother of Adelaide, wife of Hugh Capet.
    He is married to Emmeline, and has one teenage son, also named William.

Duchy of Gascony:

William is married to Urraca, and they have two teenage sons, Bernard and Sancho.
    They also have one young daugher, Brisca.

County of Toulouse:

William is currently unmarried, and of uncertain roots himself.

Military Strength:

France: 4,000 Knights + 7,000 Footmen
    Brittany: 1,500 Knights + 9,000 Footmen
    Normandy: 2,500 Knights + 8,000 Footmen
    Anjou: 2,000 Knights + 6,000 Footmen
    Blois: 3,000 Knights + 7,000 Footmen
    Champagne: 2,500 Knights + 6,000 Footmen
    Flanders: 1,000 Knights + 10,000 Footmen
    Burgundy: 4,000 Knights + 9,000 Footmen
    Aquitaine: 4,500 Knights + 14,000 Footmen
    Gascony: 2,500 Knights + 10,000 Footmen
    Toulouse: 3,500 Knights + 15,000 Footmen

Battles will not be fought in the TW sense, but players will have options regarding where in a region battles take place, whether characters should be put at risk, and afterwards how to treat any prisoners. While Knights are generally far superior to Footmen, the latter is made much more effective during ambushes, river crossings, sieges, or in rough terrain. Basically common sense will determine the outcome of battles.

I hope to make around one chapter a week, with one chapter representing a four month period. The first chapter will take place on the 1st of January 988, since Hugh's son Robert was crowned on the 30th December the previous year. Players should PM their decisions to me and can conduct diplomacy between themselves via PM's. They can of course make public statements if they wish, such as summoning nobles to a council (which a king has every right to do), or proclaiming themselves King and other such actions. You raise an army by telling me when sending me your decisions for the chapter. You don't have to raise all your forces obviously, and you must state which characters are to go with the army.

By signing up, you are to be precise representing a noble family of your choice. Of course, in most cases this will have the same effect as representing a major duchy or county, but since hereditary succession will be a major issue it is likely some families could peacefully take control of several titles, if they are smart enough. Or you could even proclaim yourself a Democracy, although it might upset the nobles. Basically, you can try to do anything you like, we aren't limited by hardcoded features here after all! Below is a list of the 'teams' taken:

Factions:

Hugh I (Capetian Dynasty) - Revolting Friendship
    Conan I (Duchy of Brittany) - {BHC} King Jan III Sobieski
    Richard I (Duchy of Normandy) - Ichigo
    Fulk III (County of Anjou) - AggonyDuck
    Odo I (County of Blois) - Kagemusha
    Herbert III (County of Troyes and Meaux)* - King Kurt
    Arnulf II (County of Flanders) - CountArach
    Odo-Henry I (Duchy of Burgundy) - |Sith|1|AntiWarmanCake88 Toyosada88
    William IV (Duchy of Aquitaine) - Warmaster Horus
    William II (Duchy of Gascony) - Quintus.J.Cicero
    William III (County of Toulouse) - Ibn-Khaldun

* This is basically Champagne if you are wondering

Sub-Factions (mod controlled):

Louis (Carolingian Claimant, currently in Upper Lorraine)
    The Papacy (Pope John XV)

And the Heraldry for each title (ideal for your sig or in posts!):

The Capetian Dynasty:

The Duchy of Brittany:

The Duchy of Normandy:

The County of Anjou:

The County of Blois:

The County of Troyes and Meaux:

The County of Flanders:

The Duchy of Burgundy:

The Duchy of Aquitaine:

The Duchy of Gascony:

The County of Toulouse:
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 08-05-2008 at 22:56.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Re: Rise of the Capetians

I want to play; this is my first time playing interactive history so excuse my inexperience, I’ll be a bit inactive before August 9th, but count me in if you’ll have me.

I’ll take the Duchy of Gascony please.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Great! I have no more experience than you BTW. I tried to play one before making this, but there wasn't really one where I had good knowledge of the situation so I just read older ones.

So Gascony is now taken. I'll be taking any factions left over. I thought the Kingship would go first...

I'll take Fulk III, Count of Anjou.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Good choice, get ready to play one bad@ss of a character. He burned his own wife at the stake. Remember that when we get to the turn at 999 AD.

Well if she's shagging the goatherd in 999....
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

I'm sure it will make a very funny chapter for Anjou come the appropriate turn.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'll take Normandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I Take Duchy of Burgundy please :D

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

I'll have Aquitaine, please.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Excellent, half the teams gone now...

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

And the King's seat hasn't been filled yet...
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't played this kind of 'games' before.. But I learn in the progress

I would like to take County of Toulouse

There seem to be a few newbies here, including myself, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'll just be taking up any slots not filled, though there's been good interest so far.

Can I take Brittany? Conan!

Of course!

Just four spaces left, including the Kingship...

Defender Troll Member Revolting Friendship's Avatar

And the King's seat hasn't been filled yet...
    May I?
    lol

You got it!

Just three left folks...

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revolting Friendship View Post
    May I?
    Revolting Friendship you may be the King at the start of this thing.. But you can't be sure how long you'll stay one
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 08-03-2008 at 21:56.

Ibn-Khaldun, can any man be so sure of his possessions and privelieges?
    lol

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Revolting Friendship View Post
    Ibn-Khaldun, can any man be so sure of his possessions and privelieges?

Yes.....

Until I take them

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Champagne, if I may
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Looks very promising.

Wow, just two left, and I may take the last one if no one minds.

Come on people, one more!

I will take Odo I (County of Blois), if you will have me.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Is Flanders still open? If so, consider it taken.
    Last edited by CountArach; 08-05-2008 at 07:46.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Super, that's a full house then!
    lol

Fantastic! Would everyone be ready for a first chapter tomorrow evening? Deadline for handing in your decisions would be same time next week, you can do your diplomacy etc whenever you want.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Sounds perfect to me.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Excellent, sounds good.
    lol

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast