Thread: please help, romeshell and vista

Default please help, romeshell and vista

Hi all.

First I have to say I adore EB and apreciate all the effort and time that went into it, and I look forward to EB2, even if it takes years.

I used to play EB (from 0.7 onward) on a decently upgraded computer with XP. It worked fine, aside from some lag from the larger battles and a long load time, which I attributed to my slightly outdated hardware and the monster that is EB. When I finally had enough and upgraded this winter, I bought my new computer (a high-end quad core duo, with equally high-end video and sound cards, and Vista). Because it was new, I took a break form EB to try out Medieval 2. Which itself runs very well, but the vanilla game feels irritatingly dull, and atrociously ahistoric after playing EB. My own modding attempts at balancing it out being less than satisfactory, I shelved it and installed EB 1.1.

As is, EB is beautiful and plays great, if a little slowly (due to the rather intense cumlative build times, hefty unit upkeep costs, and weak starting economies). After tweaking some files so it plays a little faster (build times, and initial economic buildings), I started it back up and attempted to bring up the console to check if the AI took advantage of the changes and found I couldn't, it wouldn't work. I restored the files and still - no romeshell. After uninstallling and reinstalling I realized that it wasn't my install. I checked the FAQs and found a comment on how, with Vista, an infared receiver and some wireless keyboards/mice interfere with the console. So I followed the advice given and attempted to disable any and everything meeting those descriptions in the device manager, and I believe I succeded there. Unfortunately, romeshell still refuses to come up and I don't know why or what to do.

I've been lurking on these forums for years now, and I have been able to find all the info I needed to tailor the game to my liking by looking up what others have done and written in these forums (mostly tweaks to the export desc files - the greatest extent of my tech savvy), but I can't seem to find a workable solution here. Could someone please help me out.

Gratias vobis ago.

Default Re: please help, romeshell and vista

Hey,

Could it be your keyboard layout? I know mine sometimes decides to switch between UK and US for no apparent reason, which can move the console key around. I know on UK layout the console key is next to 1, and I think (not sure) that the console key with US layout is Shift+# (This is with a UK keyboard).

Welcome to the forums

I haven't noticed a problem with the keyboard, yet. But I fiddled around with it again this morning attempting many keys and combinations of keys, to no avail. I pulled up Medieval 2 and it still works appropriately (pressing the ` key, left of the 1 key and above the Tab key). They both use the same engine, so I don't understand why one works and the other will not.

It is always pleasant to be welcomed.
    Gratias tibi ago.

Last edited by bovi; 08-02-2008 at 20:25.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Please believe me, I wasn't being lazy. I checked that first, and when it didn't work, I searched around for another solution and didn't find anything. I know Vista isn't entirely too popular around here, so maybe there haven't been many encounters with this glitch. Or maybe I'm just lost and need it spelled out for me retard style.

Again, my question was: I did what was suggested there and still it refuses to work, what else could cause this and how could I fix it? Or alternately if this is the only possible cause of the problem and I misread the solution and disabled the wrong devices, which ones are the correct ones and where would I find them?

Then I'm afraid I don't know what to do to restore the functionality. Which keyboard layout are you using?

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I'm using a standard American/US keyboard that I went out and bought to replace the cheap wireless one that came with the computer. (I heard they lag during online games)

Could it be that I followed the other solution wrong? It was a bit vague on what to disable and how to do it. I might have unintentionally assumed something and got it wrong, or missed something.

Sorry, I have never had the problem myself and wouldn't know which parts were unclear.

================
    ================