Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Default Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

Joh: How are things going for you? Have you managed to produce any other troop-paper? Also I got question for you. Are it based solely on the campaign starting positions or what?!? I just thought that would interesting to have such stuff more explicitly stated. I’m a bit unsure of that myself actually, so if nothing else could shed some light on that for me at least?
    Hi Axalon,

Been quiet for a while. As I said, last week was really busy, and it does not seem to be relaxing for the next month or so. This closing part of the year is usually the busiest at work, so it keeps me pretty much entertained.

The good news is I have finished with all the "core" troops for all the playing factions (9 as far as I remember), and that soon I will start with the non-playable. I have added some "minor "modifications to the initial template. To check the current status follow the link. FEEDBACK is encouraged and definitely most welcome.
    http://www.megaupload.com/dk/?d=GX46SLJO

However, I have a few problems:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    • I have taken the unit card picture from the custom battle screens, which covers most of the (what I call core) troops available to each faction. However, there are region specific troops that can be build (in theory) by any faction, such as English Foresters, Clansmen, Kerns, Armenian Infantry ... What do I have to modify to make these troops available in the custom battle screen?
    • In connection with the previous one, I do not seem to understand all the coding in the file. Some troops are supposed to be ALL_FACTIONS, but some factions cannot actually produce them. For example Russians do not produce either Light, Regular or Feudal Infantry. What (and where) am I missing? Where can I find those modifiers?
    • I will consider opening another account for the real deal, but for now Megaupload is the easiest for me, as I do not have to fill any form. I know it is maybe not the best, but will check other possibilities at some point.
    • I was thinking that for the "aesthetic" properties of the file, I could use some of your excellent signature posts, but without the "Click here" thingy . Could you post some of those somewhere so I can use them?
    • At some point you mentioned something about saving the text files. I am afraid I am using a text "editor" that is not the most widespread ever, and compatibility will definitely be an issue. It takes a long time to set a template, but after that, it is mostly copy&paste, which makes it very simple for me.
    • Have you reserved Novgorod for some special reason?

Regarding your concern about Redux, I realise you have put a lot of effort on "your" mod, but you have to realise that nowadays MTW and everything related to it is old news. As we have all seen, games have mostly improved in the graphical quality, but not that much as a gaming experience if you know what I mean. On top of that, people on this sites have game oriented computers, which in many cases means that they can actually not play Redux for hardware reasons.
    Besides there have not been any such post (for reasons unknown), the only exception is a nice guy who had a hardware failure (Nvidia 8000 card) and could not play redux properly even if he clearly wanted too.
    By the way, thanks if you were actually referring to me . In any case, thanks on behalf of the guy for the gentle comment.

And to conclude, I do not know your age, but some people (including me) have been around for a while and we are getting pretty old, with new responsibilities and less and less time. That also mean that we have to manage our time the best way we can, which sometimes means dropping some gaming hours. Unfortunately, we all have our preferences and maybe "old crappy games" like Medieval are the first casualties for many people. I am actually impressed that this thread has survived for so long and has been so active. Maybe because Redux is really good?

Ok, I will leave it here and try to do some work,

Joh

Dear Ax,

I posted on the other forum. I'll try creating moslim dude this week. If I'm not succesfull, or it's taking too long to make one, because of Paint Shop Pro, Ill leave it up to you. If you really want to .

I think it's hard to keep people interested in anything. There is so much new stuff out every day. People get bored with that after a while and will start looking for the old stuff again. Then they will end up with your mod.
    I used to play Chivalry Total War for a long time (2 years I believe). Even did game testing. But all at once I had no desire to play anymore. I wanted something easier to manage, with a hard challenge. That was Redux (I like historic tho, but ok).

The fun in a game is stepping in a new world and explore. For some other people maybe the challenge to beat the system.

I think in the first place you have to find your joy in creating in this mod and not let that depend on the amount of people that react. You made a great mod.
    You'll see with other mods, people come and go. Sometimes many sometimes few. It's all very unpredictable.

I'll try to squeeze out some hot sultan for you. Otherwise an AAR about how to beat the Moors in Spain or something like that.

Just keep doing what you were doing.

Smile Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

Hi Axalon

I see a couple of guys got to the TWC forum before me, so I'll post here today instead.

Thx for the comments re mercs. It's useful to know the limits of knowledge on this, and that it isn't just me. My goal was to make crusader mercs that would only appear in crusade provinces (Holy Land, Baltic, Spain). I think that is unachievable, but I have now got them appearing mainly there, which I'm happy about.

I'm enjoying the battles in Redux, as well as the campaign. How many of the maps are yours, I'm wondering? A lot I don't seem to recognise.

Here my first result with sultans hat. That was not too difficult. Need different kind of beard actually. Beard was put on quick to make 'm look like sultan, so don't look at that. Armour will have to go too.
    Still practicing layers in PSP.
    Last edited by William the Silent; 11-05-2008 at 04:47.

i found a couple glitches or something.
    not sure if anyone has brought it up.

1.i was playing as the spanish, and on the first move(i think it was), i moved troops from castile to leon, and the next turn it had them as if i just moved them there.(you know how when you click the unit, it tells you where it started at? it was still at castile if as if i hadnt moved them)
    not sure if that is the game, or your mod. but it hasnt happened to me before.

2. a bigger, and funnier glitch thats happened before. i attack portugal. they have a stack and a half or so of pretty good troops, but they decide to abandon the province, w/ that being their only province.(not even retreat, they abandon it)
    so they lose their only province and refuse the ransom, effectively losing their entire faction for nothing and no reason.

not really a big deal. just thought id let you know in case there is anything you can do.
    especially the 2nd one is a little cheesy.
    Last edited by cambovenzi; 11-05-2008 at 20:52. Reason: sp

Hi all, I’m in a better mood this time, thanks guys...

Cambovenzi: Great that you are having fun man, it’s kind of the point here!

Longbows
    -----------------
    Ok, I'll start with the popular subject for many players these days, the longbow. Now, as we have been thru all this before you should know my position on that matter by now (for those of you who might have missed out on that check post:179). It is not a question of whether I like it or not that is the thing here. It is a question of allowing the longbow to be a longbow that is the issue here.

As I said before, it is a problematic and difficult decision to make and so far I am the only one who have allowed that weapon to be what it is, a very very powerful weapon. What everybody seems to fail to understand is that all other versions, including the original, have ridiculed it to something else. Now, you and plenty of others might have become accustomed to those circumstances but let me tell you, it ain't the longbow as it should be or rather it does not reflect the longbow very well. And the whole freaking point of including the longbow in the game in the first place is because of its very special characteristics. Otherwise I see no real reasons for including it.

Also, what many people don't seem to understand is the fact that the usage of this weapon is entirely optional in redux (I have leave it to you as player to decide if you want to use it or not). If you and everybody else feels that it is too powerful, well then, don't use it! What I personally have a hard time understanding is the fact that people like "you" are using it and then complains about its overwhelming power. It simply does not add up to me.

No one has to tell me about the power of the longbow, because I have actually been in the receiving end of things while playing against other human players who have used 'em against me. It is slaughter and you desperately seek for ways to protect yourself! Now, as long as you go light on the longbows it wont make such an impact on the pure game-aspect of things. Rest assured about that, besides the true power of the longbow only comes into play in redux while under the control of a human commander. I know this because I have actually checked that out.

Troop behavior
    -----------------
    As for the behavior of troops on the field, it is very hardcoded and that is something neither I nor anybody else can do anything about even if we wanted to. Its nothing wrong with your basic idea of having the troops under fire to look for some protection, its just that it is impossible to realize, that's all...

New Troops
    -----------------
    Over to yet another popular subject then, new troops. I have actually already done that (replaced units) in order to introduce the two new units that came with the 2nd edition/VI-uprade/Superfix. So I have been there before and I might go there again but it will have to be some really fantastic troops were talkin about then! The only thing I will guarantee here is an assured spot in the troop-roster are for snarling dragons and sexy amazons! Everything else, well their chances are pretty slim of me putting them in “officially”.

Having said that, you (and everybody else) still got 12 vacant slots alocated to players just like yourself to put in whatever troops you deem appropriate. Whats keepeing you from using those? I mean, if you got some ideas on additional troops, put them in! Hell you could even release them to the public: “the Cambo redux troop expansion-mod”. What’s keeping you from doing that? Hell I'll even help you set up a thread allocated for such very purposes so all people could download it and stuff like that. What more can you ask possibly for?!?

Glitches
    -----------------
    First glitch, I am unable to replicate what you are describing so far and that means that it does not have its origins from redux as far as I can tell. Besides, if that actually were the case it would have been discovered long time ago. Could you upload a save of it so I could have look at it myself?

Second glitch, is totally related to hardcoded behavior of the original and thus I cant do anything about it, believe me I would if I could. As for the discovery of stupid Portuguese behavior, that honor goes to Baron von Manteuffel who was the first one who reported that stuff in. But yes it is pretty sad that you could kill the Portuguese faction without even a single drop of blood.

At any rate man, do keep your eyes open and let me and everybody else know if you find anything else that might be odd (if you do, try the debug area). Finally, do I dare ask what you’re playing now?

Western: No worries about the TWC you'll have plenty of chances doing some posting there for the greater good of redux yet! In the mean time, first of all I’m glad you found my merc-info useful for you (I had to think straight for that, hence the delay on it). Would you be interested in compiling all the info you gathered so far on the subject and post it in? I know I’m interested in it, I have a hard time believing that it would be just you and me?!? I think that would be a great idea actually, are you up for it? Since you cant be the only fiddler around, now can you?!?

Actually I think its possible to get the merc boys restricted to those areas if one just set the filters right and straight. That's what my gut tells me anyhow....

Glad to hear about the battles man, yes I'm pretty happy with the balance myself (muuuuuch testing). As for the maps, their all stock. Don’t know why rarer ones show up for you thou.

Joh: Ok I have check your stuff out and you sure got routines for it now. I actually dare to hope that you might even do all 18 factions! I got some various ideas and suggestions for you over at the TWC.

As for your various problems:
    • The easiest way of getting all the troops to appear in the solo battle section is (not that easy) to install v.1.1 again and the apply basic redux upon that. Once all that have been arranged you open up THAT “crusaders_unit_prod11.txt” and remove all region-requisits – that should do the trick. After that you em all in solo but you must keep an eye on column 54 and the “culture filter”, because that have some bearing here as well. There other way to make all this happen for sure but the one I suggested above is probably the easiest one.
    • Column 54 and the “culture filter”, corresponds to your second problem.
    • Do you want both or what did you more precisely have in mind? Also covered over at TWC… What! You don’t like my “click me”, it’s quite popular with the ladies you know, considered to be the finest “click me” in town!
    • I just though it might be interesting for potential future “sex ups” that’s all…
    • Yes, they have the same colors as the Russians do. It’s a redux version conformity thing, trying to keep the two versions fairly the same. That’s why.

“Regarding your concern about Redux, I realise you have put a lot of effort on "your" mod, but you have to realise that nowadays MTW and everything related to it is old news. As we have all seen, games have mostly improved in the graphical quality, but not that much as a gaming experience if you know what I mean. On top of that, people on this sites have game oriented computers, which in many cases means that they can actually not play Redux for hardware reasons.”

Well it seems that you might have misunderstood me a bit here. Yes you are very right about the monstrous amount of effort and work I put into it. BUT I am all too well aware of the fact that the game is some 6 years old. Oh boy do I wish I had this version and knowledge some 5-6 years ago. What a gigantic difference it would have been compared with the ruling circumstances of present days (in every sense)… Tell me about it!

As for the longevity of this thread, well I certainly do what I can to make things going here, so does William, you and a few others if I may say so myself. It is guys like “you” that have made this thread to what it is, no doubt about that. I know all about the stuff about work and all that (it sucks, but you got to have money). If you got a wife and even a kid it certainly won’t make things better for poor ‘ol MTW either, so no surprises there. Anyway, hope that you can squeeze in a few lines for us here and there, if for nothing else; just to cheer up the rest of us from time to time?

Finally, I was referring to another guy, but you do hold the debatable title of “author of most treasured post” at the TWC, if that counts?!?

William: Again I sure do appreciate your efforts the last few days; I wish everybody would do half of what you do. Oh boy it would be different around here. For starters; myself and the all girls from princess-department could go to Bahamas and have some decent and well earned vacation from all this.

At any rate, I think that you have many very solid points in your post:242. Much of it sucks, but it is very accurate I think. TWC is a good example of that, still it has its obvious advantages so that’s why I’m trying too save that thread regardless of that fact.

Ah well, I’m tired now so I’ll quite right here. Before I go you should know that I think it is great that you’re trying to make some additional portraits for the Muslims (more on that over at the TWC), and if that don’t work out for you, be sure to do a “Battle Report”. I’ll promise you that I for one will read it with great interest and then “discuss it to the stone-age” afterwards. That would be some decent and good fun for the both of us I think (maybe for others as well)!

Ok, guys that’s a wrap. Thanks for the response guys…

- Cheers

NEW TOWER BUILT!
    ---------------------------
    We got a new area here at castle Redux and it concerns the vexed and popular subject of: the survival and triumph of Spain. It is supervised by William the Silent, highguardian of the new Spanish tower (but isn’t he dutch or german? Shhh! Order!!!) who have assumed command of that area. Undoubtedly it will be very intresting (I wonder how long it takes untill he turns to questionable diplomacy and shady spies?). Well worth a visit! Check it out!

Other tidings here at the "Castle"
    ----------------------------------
    Over at the “Battle Reports & Discussion” area these questions came up:

Quote Originally Posted by Obliqueattack
    Could you please explain this build embargo thing to me – how and why to use it?
    I’ve noticed that master spearmaker does not give its +2 valor bonus to Royal Spear.
    The build embargo does exactly what the title implies; it stops all building activities while active and it will do so for 48 turns unless you cancel it of course. The usage for you might be limited, but for the AI however, it is excellent stuff.

As for the master spearmaker it is quite correct it does not give that bonus and that is connected to the designs of the tech-trees. This is intentional, if you want valor with these guys you’ll have to fight for it…

We actually got a small debate going at the Battle Reports & Discussion area, also worth a visit (concerning Spain for the moment, what else!), so check that out as well…

Ok, folks that’s all the news for now.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-07-2008 at 03:16.

Hi Axalon,

Thanks for your instructions. Of course, I did not follow them but they gave me inspiration to test some ideas and get the work done. Yes, I have finished core troop for all factions, plus I have checked the regional troops recruitable for the factions depending on their religion. I am missing troops that only appear as rebel, but those are only 6 and I am not sure how/whether to do it.

You could start off with a big sized reference/stat-map (at least 4x current size for a unit or something, its hard to be overly obvious here) were you actually write in exactly what everything stands for, as in “Attack” were that is and “Defence” were that is located on your matrix/grid. My suggestion is that you have this on “Page2”.
    You would probably be better off with a few initial definitions and explanations as well. Explain and define what you mean by “core units”. Explain what you mean with the asterisks. Again it is hard to be overly obvious here. Generally speaking do some definitions and explanations it wont hurt none. Explain the model of selection you have applied.
    First of all, I think Redux will most likely be played by experienced MTW player that have a very good prior knowledge about the game. In any case, there is actually some explanation at the end of the document, but as I was doing it on the fly, the explanation was not always updated when I changed the basic form. I still think that that should be at the end, but will probably try to build a table of contents or something like that so you know where to find it. As for explanations, I am a minimalistic person, so it suits my taste. I will think about it though.

Perhaps some minor chart over stuff like “dicipline”, things that is fairly limited with in its variables (how about uppgrades in armor and weaponry or perhaps some stats on bows and crossbows?!?). Stuff like that and that is at the same time usefull or intresting to know about. How about such stuff all gathered in place, after all redux are very special when it comes to projectiles....
    Regarding missiles, I have stated their reach and whether they are armour piercing or not. I feel that adding to much detail will crowd the file … and I am a minimalistic. I can give you that accuracy could be interesting, but the final result depends more heavily on from where the projectile is shot, so I do not see it as a key element. Regarding the upgrades in armour and weaponry, my idea is that it “just” adds 1 extra point to deffence or attack but I am not sure myself.

I found some “passive” crossbows in the italians page, maybe there are some more of that stuff around. Have another check on that perhaps?
    I am afraid I did not get that. I actually used Access to surf the file since I can use search tools or order it, which makes it much easier. Maybe there is something close to that entrance in the original file? I know about your “secret” units, Mr Star and Mr Warhammer. Is it related to that? On the topic, Novgorod units appear through the file, but it is not defined as a faction in the ReduxSPC-VI_Rebel.TXT file. What was the intention? It has some unique and reserved units as well, but I do not know what you intended.

You simply got have some cool cover for it or something. I could upload it here for PR, PR, PR! Hell I could perhaps do some cool and sexy title text or something, but you must determine what it should say if you want any of that to happen.
    Ok, here is what I like. Background of your first last picture in this thread without the “VI-Upgrade1.0 ….”; Background of PIC1, specifically Redux Campaign; Background of PIC2 without “Reduxed strategical mode”; Background of PIC4 without “Redux troops & such”; And finally, your picture signature without “2nd edition …” or “Click here”.

On another level, I have also messed a bit with the factions and made all of them playable (I am using VI). I have not really tested them, but why shouldn’t any of them be playable (apart from the Papacy of course)?

Joh

Hi there Joh,

Don’t bother with the rebels in if you don’t want to. Personally however, I think that your guide would
    be more complete with them included. Here is a list of which units that are “strictly” rebel:

• HeathenWarlords
    • RaiderInfantry
    • RaiderSpearmen
    • RaiderCavalry
    • RaiderWarlords (I think these are actually locked down)
    • RaiderHorseArchers
    • KhanateHorseArchers (hardly ever get used)

Rebel naval-units:

• PirateShip (Naval)
    • PirateGalley (Naval)

All other units are to be considered either “secret” or locked down for various reasons.

As for other stuff related to your guide; “…a table of contents” and explanations are always good. It better to have too many instead of too few. That’s my view anyway. I also think that you should definitely have some specs on missiles. I would include accuracy with an asterisk with your comment on circumstantial dependence for that value. As for upgrades; swords provides +1-4 bonus to attack, shields provides +1-4 bonus to armor which is not, and does not work, the same as defense. Don’t bother with the “secret units” they are not supposed to be “official” anyhow. The Novgorod situation is entirely linked to structural stuff of the basic game program, and that’s my way to keep it silent and cooperative. Novgorod was/is never intended to be used in any official stuff. Regarding “passive” crossbows, what I meant was that you spelled Pavise crossbows wrong that’s all.

Finally do have an ETA on the full package? As in a complete guide? If this is soon perhaps we could sync it with the patch. That way all minor changes would included in it. Just a thought, let me know what you think about that.

“On another level, I have also messed a bit with the factions and made all of them playable (I am using VI). I have not really tested them, but why shouldn’t any of them be playable (apart from the Papacy of course)?”
    Have we not been here before? Have look at the known bug-section in “ReadMe 1.0b” and find out why, particularly PORTUGAL, NORSE and LITHUANIAN factions (all these are big no-no, because of structural issues and limitations with the original program. You simply cannot play them in an acceptable fashion, at least in my opinion). All the others should work ok in the VI/V2.01 version.

First of all there are some design aspects to it; I use these factions to among other things balance stuff out for the default playable factions. Hence they were not supposed to be played (but it is very possible to play them of course). Also I did not bother to write some intros for ‘em (thus saved time and avoided additional work) and I was hesitant in regards to if they were any fun to play. So I cancelled them. Hungary is probably the hardest of them all (a fairly weak tactical profile by comparison with most other factions). At any rate, LOMBARDY, BURGUNDY, ARAGON and HUNGARY should all work just fine, regardless of what version of redux you use. If there ever going to be additional factions to play in redux “officially” it will be all or some of these four (I don’t think I’ll ever use the Swiss slot, if I do perhaps it will some future expansion or for some silly redux-mod. I just don’t know. Any of this will first be considered after redux is completed, fully operational and patched without any of the current flaws and weak areas). Novgorod will at any rate, never be included in any official stuff (my advice to you is to stay clear of Novgorod so the game-program won’t fuss with you).

As for the requested pics, I sorted most of them out and included a few other things as well that might be useful for this project. I’ll pack ‘em all together in one resource-pack. I’ll PM you the link for the package when I uploaded the stuff, since I don’t want these files swimming around the net beyond any control (bad experiences with such stuff that’s why). I have of course grated you permission to use these pics for this particular project, but I have not given any other person the right to use ‘em so that’s why I do it like this. Once you got a solid cover set for the guide (or perhaps even fooled me to do it), you or I can post it here for PR-purposes. I’ll PM you shortly….

ON A GENERAL NOTE
    ------------------------
    Due to the recent discovery of the “Spanish bug” I strongly suggest that all of you stay away from playing Spain until further notice, because it is obvious that the scenario is not functioning as supposed to. All other default factions should still work fairly well so play those instead with little or no worries. Just stay clear of Spain while waiting for the “Spanish problem” to get resolved, because it sure as hell does not work properly the way it is supposed to. The reason for all this is the fact that I am forced to make numerous changes in order to bypass all the hardcoded flaws of CA. Oh boy, do I want to shoot them for this!

So, there will be changes and redesigns to ensure that the experience with a Spanish campaign actually complies with I had planned for the spanish campaign (at least on a decent level). As for CA, I'll say this much, if those clowns had done their job on the AI properly in the first place, NONE of this would have happened. So, this is all courtesy of CA, do-not-forget-that-stinking-fact...

Now, I will try to clean up this whole mess to the best of my abilities, but in order to do that I am forced to alter things and get the game to act more responsibly and don’t do the crap it has pulled on you guys so far. I WILL make sure that the Spanish campaign will properly earn its “Expert"-rating, rest assured about that....

In the mean time, it would be good and appreciated if someone could guard the castle?

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-13-2008 at 23:14.

The Spanish Fix is now finally released! Thus the “Spanish problems” should be solved once and for all (and one should be able to play Spain on acceptable terms now). It has been a lot of demanding work involved with this and it is with a bit of relief I finally make it available to the public (thus I can finally concentrate on completely other things). This “superfix” will not only counter the many issues and hardcoded problems with the Spanish campaign but also make several changes and improvements for the entire game.

Release Notes on the Spanish fix:
    -------------------------------------
    Personally I would prefer to make things even harder for Spain but since the main problems here are hardcoded so there is little more I could do now short of completely wreck the entire game balance in favour of the Moors. At any rate, the Spanish campaign (set on expert) is now harder than it has ever been before, all the hardcoded crap are harder to trigger which means that the Spaniards will now have to do some proper fighting – as supposed to – if they plan to advance anywhere. Portugal has ceased to be the “self-destructing” sitting duck it was before and the Portuguese will most likely put up a fight now! Aragon will probably not go down without out fight either. As for the Moors from a Spanish perspective, they have now become a more worthy foe as I intended them to be from day 1. Spain might be able to initially snatch a few provinces out of the Moorish empire, but I would be very surprised if they manage to do anything else beyond that (short of cheating of course). As for the march to Cairo, in theory it is still possible to do it, but again I would be fairly amazed if anyone manages to do that in less than 30 turns with the circumstances that follows with this fix – and survive as a kingdom in the process! But, it will probably take longer than that....

Now (and I do mean this), I do hope you guys enjoy this stuff so all the work with this will have been warranted somehow. As for additional info on the Spanish fix see the included “ReadMe”.

Other notes on the Spanish Fix:
    -------------------------------------
    Not only Spain has got a proper rummage with this fix but a lot of other things as well. The entirety mercenary system has been changed from essentially scratch. The AI matrix has been COMPLETELY replaced and recalibrated with the new “RX1000 AI-System ®” (bye bye CA-system and this time permanently) for it in order to better comply with my plans and designs. The rebel’s situation has been reworked (again) and they should now be a bit more active than before, hopefully at sea as well. A few alterations in the tactical matrix have been done as well. Here are some of the changes listed below.
    • Raider cavalry unit size changed to 60 men (default settings)
    • Light Militia unit size changed to 60 men (default settings)
    • Spanish Horsemen unit size changed to 60 men (default settings)
    • Camel raiders unit size changed to 60 men (default settings)
    • Peasants unit size changed to 80 men (default settings)
    • Desert Spearmen unit size changed to 60 men (default settings)
    • Pikemen few value-adjustments
    • Heavy Pikemen few value-adjustments
    • English Longbows finally comes at a decent price!
    • Italian Infantry finally comes at a decent price!
    • Various small adjustments here and there over the unit matrix
    • Introducing a new unit, the Mercenary Eliteguard!

The skirmisher weaknesses that plagued the some of the AI-armies before has been utterly destroyed and thus will not play any active part in redux anymore. The AI will not build peasant or skirmishers anymore. Thus armies will generally be stronger and properly balanced to do more serious battle. The archer situation of Byzantium seems to be hardcoded because the game conveniently ignores the standing instructions of the AI-matrix and keeps having a lot of archer formations no matter what the numbers says. It appears to be especially true for the VI-version.

The Moors will now regularly train cavalry (and a few camel) formations in their armies and thus better correspond to the profile I assigned to them. The Saracens are still the mother of all camel-formations it seems, along with a continued strong presence of able infantry as well in their armies. The English have started being the naval power they are supposed to be and France has also been turned in to play a more active part at sea also. The HRE will now have some internal strength within the empire and will not collapse as easily it seems. Lithuania seems to finally have accepted its assigned role of being wild and aggressive. The Norse now do some serious ventures over sea and plays a more active part as a naval power – as supposed to! The Hungarian seems to have a way better survival rate with the Spanish fix, which of course is good as well. The Russian wave over Europe seems to be less frequent and the overall Russian power is contained better now. The Poles have still a very dark destiny awaiting them, but at least now they actually try to prepare themselves better for the great Armageddon of Poland. The Lombard’s and Italian league seems to finally “understand” that peaceful coexistence is at least an option from time to time....

The Spanish fix also includes the little known “GreenTrees fix” for tactical mode. Some minor improvements in unit GFX and Normandy and Tunisia are as of now trading regions. Finally, the Spanish fix will only operate at full capacity on default unit size settings. The higher unit size settings you apply the more inefficient it will become. Ok that was the basics here; further details are to be found in the included “ReadMe”.

Ok there are two versions of the Spanish fix released. This blue banner indicates that this is the regular version which is only compatible with MTW-Redux 1.0b (standard redux). When you are over at the download area look for this blue sign if it is MTW V.1.1 your’e are running at home. Then this is the Spanish Fix (A) you should download and use for your game.

This grey banner indicates that this is the VI-version of the Spanish Fix (B) for redux. This means that it won’t work with anything else than a fully VI-upgraded game. When you are over at the download area look for this grey sign if it is MTW V.2.01 your’e are running at home. Then this is the Spanish Fix (B) you should download and use for your game.

Ok, that’s it. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-31-2009 at 09:05. Reason: update

hi, i just dled the very 1st version u posted. I was getting bored w/ regular MTW so tried XL it was ok, and I have to say I am really impressed

as i said, i just downloaded the very first one, so is there a different version that lets me play more factions? it would be cool to try out all the new units u put on the game.

Also I think you should add another Muslim faction, if you haven't done so, like the Seljuk Turks or something like that

I await your answer(s)

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."

-Sir Godwin

made a mistake and dont know how to edit lol ?

i meant to say XL was ok, but your version really impressed me (sorry)

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."

-Sir Godwin

Hi there Nzd07 and welcome to the Org and the redux area,

I am always happy to greet new redux-players here. Glad you like this version of MTW (care to share any specifics on what it was that impressed you? Or are we talking of an overall impression here? At any rate, thanks for the praise.)

Your questions then.... I assume that you mean MTW-redux 1.0b. I have gathered that you got VI, so you should also download and install the VI-upgrade 1.0 and then the Spanish Fix for VI/V.2.01 (grey banner). Then your game will be as optimal as can be with the available material in distribution. I am currently working on the 3rd edition and with it there will be some major improvements for redux. I am exited about that and I dare say that redux has never looked that good as it will do when that version are released. This will of course happen when I’m done with it. I’ll post some screens and stuff when we are closer to release.

At any rate, with the release of 3rd edition redux (or MTW-redux 1.1) my work with basic redux are probably done. After that we can all play around with the redux-platform and create expansions and sub-mods as much as we like, I plan to do some stupid stuff myself, just for fun. Until then, you and everybody else will have to make due with 2nd edition (+ Spanish Fix).

Playing more factions then... Well, the best I officially can do for you are the VI-upgrade 1.0 which allows you to play as the Russians as a special feature in that version. Other than that you could perhaps make such changes on your own personal game, I see no reason why that could not happen. There are guides for it here at the Org.

At any rate, default redux is designed to have 18 factions and out of these 8 is playable (currently, 3rd edition will change that). There are several reasons for that and you can read all about it in post: 203, the “factions and variety” section. I personally feel that quality in a faction is far more important and interesting than just sheer quantity of factions. I know that other people have very different views on that and it is ok. I just don’t share their views that’s all.

Now, if you don’t put in the Turks yourself, no other Muslim factions will be available in the default redux other than the Saracens and Moors (and only the Moors will be playable, for hardcorded reasons). There is simply no room for it with the circumstances that I have work with here! I removed the Turks to create Portugal instead because I thought it would be more interesting for the game. So, if you rely on me for the Turks in redux, my answer is in short: no Turks, no more Muslims, no more factions in default/official redux (again, post: 203 provides the many answers as for why). Sorry, but there you have it.

Any other questions? Fire away...

- Cheers
    -----------
    As a jr member you are not allowed to edit your posts. Don’t ask me why.
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-17-2008 at 22:35.

Default Re: MTW-Redux Released!

Hi all,

It appears that Filefront management have in their infinite wisdom ”lost” the MTW-redux 1.0b.rar upload. Thus that link is down. I will upload it again shortly (sigh). Until that is done, only the Atomicgamer upload is functional for the moment (zip-version). Don’t ask me why….

EDIT: Ok, I have fixed it, another copy is uploaded and the new MTW-redux 1.0b.rar link is in place.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-19-2008 at 23:39. Reason: update

All Redux fans Merry Chritmas!

Ax, I will be doing a new spanish campaign in the New Year.
    I started it already, but I'm too busy now to put it up.

Nice decorations for the castle.

And a very Marry Christmas to you, WTS! To all, Happy Holidays and a Marry Festivous!

William and Rick, I want to join you guys in this….

Merry Xmas to all redux players and supporters! It makes me very happy that overall 2008 was a very good year for MTW-redux. I appreciate all the interest in redux this year. In my mind there is little doubt that if redux got a home somewhere it sure is right here at the ORG. My thanks to all of you that made it so.

Hopefully I will post some screens on 3rd edition soon!

William: you got a message/post that might interest you over at the TWC (redux thread). There is some tip that might be useful for you.

- Cheers

Hi all,

I have taken some screens on MTW-redux 3rd edition (from tactical mode) that is under development and not yet released.
    I have posted these three six screens to give you people a peek on the future of redux. I’ll post some other screens later (I
    have edited in some more
    ). Hope you guys like ‘em.

The English and Lithuanians in a good charge...

A bit closer on the action here...

Lombards firering crossbows... Those new crossbow-calibrations really made my head spin.

Lombards on the march. Now spears and pikes looks like it - and its about time they did! He he! Well I am happy
    about that at any rate.

The Norse on the move... Note the axes, its about time the looked like they should. The original MTW axes never really
    appealed to me anyway. Essentially I happy about that change.

The Norse and HRE in action. I am very happy about the new redux unit stardard/banners and those command flagg aint
    that freakishly thick like in the original. Oh and check out those green trees! I like it like that (currently available in the
    Spanish fix actually).

Ok that's it for now, anybody else with comments on the screens?

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-31-2009 at 09:08. Reason: The princesses wanted me too...

Ok I got some other screens (montages) for you guys here….

This time it is various info-pics on units and agents. I got one for various Christian/pagan units and one for Muslim units. As for the agents, I never really liked the ones found in the original game so I finally decided to make some new ones that goes a little easier on the eyes. - Of course I had to do a princess as well even if the darn thing wont show up in the game (default settings) but what the hell. I can always dream can’t I?!? At any rate, enjoy!

Ok, from the top left corner; we got a princess, spy and in the second row we have an emissary, assassin and a bishop.
    So much for agents...

Some units then... From the top left corrner; Polish hero, crossbowmen, Russian hero, Norse champion and finally some
    feudal champions looking mighty and ready to be your average badass essentially.

Moving on to the domains of Muslims then... Top left corner. Ghazi-warriors, Ghazi-warlords, Moorish/saracen raiders,
    Moorish mercenaries and finally some Ghazi-fanatics.

Ok, thats it for now.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-31-2009 at 09:11. Reason: update

Hmmm, I just got Redux 1.0b with the VI upgrade installed this morning - very nice. So now there's a 3.0 upgrade soon to come, what happened to version 2? Did I somehow just miss it?
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Hehe… We are not quite there yet Geezer57. When we got Redux 3.0, I’ll be sure to let you and everybody else know when that happens. Hell, we have not even come to 2.0 yet. Maybe this 3rd edition will be that, I have not really decided that yet but as far as number goes it should at the very least be a redux 1.5, or there about. What is clear here is that it will be the third official release of MTW-redux (thus 3rd edition). Hope this sorted things out for you.

Glad you like redux by the way….

- Cheers

Axalon, since you're working on a new version I'd like to make two quick requests:

1. Include specific happiness information in the building descriptions. ("+10% happiness")

2. Open the Norse as a playable faction. I played the last campaign with the Norse (-ian) and I had no difficulties. The Muslim faction pictures hardly matter. Just explain it in the faction description at the start of the campaign.

Default Stupid no editing...

3. I'd also like a document listing each faction's units, their stats, and how to build them.

Hello again Cold Steel,

I bid you welcome to the “great tower” (regular thread) here at the redux area and the Org as well, while I’m at it so to speak. I see you prefer things short and to the point, a man of action then….

Well, these are some worthwhile requests you bring me here I think. I can’t promise you anything, but essentially their all good and I will look into it if time allows me too, at least on request 1-2. It’s mainly connected to practical stuff in the game you see. I’ll have another look at the Norse and see what I can do....

As for request 3, you might actually get almost what you want when Joh’s unit guide is completed and released. That is however not within my control really since it is above all Joh that is the senior scribe on that, it is all dependent on him (but first he must get the files from me). All I can say is that the plan is that it will be released in close proximity with the 3rd edition – that is the plan. If that happen remains to be seen, but it would be nice no doubt and that’s the best I can do for you on that matter. If you for some reason can’t wait for that, grab a Gnome editor and start checking out the stats yourself (it is available here at the Org).

Anyway, I hope like redux and have loads of fun with it. By all means feel free to stick around here.

- Cheers

This looks great. Granted I have the pointer graphics problem with ANY MTW VI game, or mod, but this mod is a complete overwrite, yes?
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wladyslaw IV View Post
    This looks great. Granted I have the pointer graphics problem with ANY MTW VI game, or mod, but this mod is a complete overwrite, yes?
    Hi there Wladyslaw IV,

Thanks. Yeah pretty much, it replaces many original files. If you install redux on a fresh copy of VI it becomes pretty useless if you decide to remove the redux files again. But this is standard for almost all mods. If you have another copy of MTW that you want to save - just install another copy for redux. Its no big deal. Or did you mean that it is very diffrent from the original? Its a yes there just the same.

As for your problem, unfriendly GFX-card ehh? Well you probably have most of the same problems and isseus with redux too. If you can live with that, do try redux out. I have a hard time believing you being sorry for it, since people seem to like it much so...

- Cheers

Those screens look amazing......what are your pc specs and what resolution are you running at?
    I just built a new rig and cant wait to reinstall MTW and the latest verion of redux......thanks

Hi there Achilleslaststand,

Thanks man. Long time no read by the way; things have changed much around here since I last saw a post from you. These days we got a whole sub-forum for redux (thanks to people like Martok, Caravel and Tosa), feel free to have a look around and drop a post somewhere. It’s still much work in progress but I am very happy about all this, but it really is for all you redux players – not me. Feel free to stick around and help out with that work if you want too, after all - you have played redux for a while by now. Geezer57 currently have some thoughts over at the “tips and new player area”, perhaps you could provide him with some answers or comments?

SCREENS are taken on a 1280X1024 res initially and then shrunk into web-friendly 800x600 (in Photoshop.
    If anyone wonders, the screens we are talking about are found in post:258 and 259)

*On a general note: I would like to ask everyone to consider 800x600 as a maximum if and when “you”
    post pics/screens anywhere around here. Otherwise use spoilers or something like that - because
    a higher resolution disrupts the threads. So, please guys...

SPECS on the PC the screens were taken:

CPU: Northwood Pentium4, 2,60 GHz
    MBoard: Intel D875PBZ
    GFX-card: Radeon 9700 Pro
    Drivers: ATI v.8.205.0.0 (released Apr ’06 I think it was).
    Direct X: 9.0c (Aug ‘06 I believe)
    Ram: 2 Gig DDR1-type

This is the PC I usually work on… I Have another PC with better specs for other stuff -
    runs redux as well actually - but not the original game, how about that?!?

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

I just wanted to pop-in and express my gratitude to you, Axalon. MTW always had a special place in my hard (I have spend more hours on that game than RTW and M2TW combined) and this mod gives the old lady a very very very nice make-over. While my gametime is extremely limited nowadays (which will decline to non-existant for the following months), I'm having a blast with your mod. Rest assured that I will spend my free-time playing your mod and trying to kick some Moor behind. ;)

Your mod is popular and I'm sure a lot of people are lurking here, waiting for more Redux goodness. So while the forum might appear to be a bit more quiet when compared to the ETW section for example, there are still watchers in the dark. So carry on and keep spreading the Redux goodness amongst the MTW lovers. And when my free-time starts to increase again, I'm sure you'll see me posting a bit more regular around here.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Hi Faenaris and all other redux players,

It has been a while since I was around this place (busy working with 3rd ED) and I thought that some updates on the progress might be in order here. Now, MTW-redux 1.0c (3rd Edition) is scheduled to be released to the public: 20th Feb. 2009 and then within a week after that the VI-upgrade version for it will also be released. Needless to say, all former redux-material will be withdrawn and declared obsolete from that point on (you can still learn the basics of MTW-redux while using 2nd edition until 3rd edition is released of course).

For those of you who might wonder what new stuff will be included in that edition I can only say that it will be plenty of stuff – rest assured. In my mind there is no doubt that it will be the best and most complete version of redux released to date – in every sense. I am confident that you guys will come to the same conclusion once you get the chance to play it.

Once the VI-upgrade for it is also released I have done everything I intended to do with basic redux and thus my work will probably be done with it (unless a major bug is found). Maybe I’ll post up another round of screens before the release – we’ll see.

Feanaris: I’m glad that you like the 2nd edition and I do appreciate your encouragement here, I really do. It certainly makes it a little easier for me to work with project you know. As I said before, 3rd edition will present monsterload of GFX-surgery and “facelifts” all over along with plenty of other and further design-orientated stuff as well. The “old lady” will essentially be in her good 20’s again hehe! In my mind the original MTW will simply not be able to compete with the sexed up/reduxed version of it. I really do mean that even if I am well aware that it is a bold statement. None the less, I believe that 3rd ED redux can and will back up those bold words.

The way I see it the original game will simply not be able to compete because it will be matched or outclassed in every turn (all hardcoded stuff aside of course). To me, it simply stands as inferior by comparison. If anything, all my work with redux it has certainly convinced me of that.

Now, as for the lurkers. They do what they want of course but in my mind they really don’t help out much in the development of public redux or its community in the long run. For instance, in order for this very forum to function properly and at a decent level it does require a collective and active participation of some kind to have a fair chance of getting interesting and worthwhile visiting. If it is just me that does all the posting around here it will get both uninteresting and boring in no time – and it will not be a forum, it will be a place were I do various statements at best. We don’t want any of that – I don’t want any of that. And, the public version of redux will eventually die in the long run on such a path. I have a hard time believing that this is what people really want considering the sheer number of downloads the game has in total (currently over 700).

So, the life of public redux are actually to be found in the people who do post up reduxy questions, comments, opinions, problems, thoughts and essentially share some information with each other of any kind. If that happens redux will be alive and well – and as a bonus, I (and perhaps others as well) will have further incentives to possibly do additional work and optional expansions for redux (in this regard it is friendlier for stuff like that than any other version I know about – especially so in the VI-version). It’s as simple as that really.

To put it plainly; lurking actually means slow death, posts and participation means life for the public version of redux (or any other project for that matter). So, dear average lurker it’s kind of up to you what happens next. If anything, my membership here at the Org has made it blatantly clear for me is this very fact. Had I known these things before, I would have signed up as a member here back in 2000 out sheer sense of duty and sympathy for the efforts of the total war community, because that was when I first started to lurk around the Org myself (it actually is a lot more fun when you can post up some silly and stupid comments on your own and see how people react upon it. Maybe you get lucky once in a while and post up something better than that as well).

Also, as I said so many times before around here; it – does – not – have – to – be - me - that – do the answering and commenting in this special redux-forum. Do you know the answer or have comments – post ‘em up and help out a fellow redux-player! If you have something special in store, not covered by the existing threads? Start a new and separate thread for it! It will serve yourself, the public version of redux and all its players in the long run you know.

So, Feanaris there you have my take on the lurkers… I do welcome you and everybody else to post away around here – it would be much more fun. Hell, even if you might do some double posting now and then – so what, it still is much more fun! Otherwise it would just be plain ‘ol me that do any sort of regular posting around here - and that’s no fun. It’s pretty boring in my book actually. Besides, it is good for redux and it does make this place more interesting to visit, for me and all redux-players (including you).

- Cheers
    -----------
    Gee! That turned out to be a pretty lengthy post. I didn’t know that I still had
    that “long-post-syndrome” in me….
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-13-2009 at 18:58. Reason: better English - as always....

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast