Thread: Antaeus the Great

Default Antaeus the Great

(Note: This is LOOSELY based off a campaign I had in RTW the Extended Greek Mod. If you play as any of the greek factions alot, I would seriously check this out. I will be referencing units and places that are in the mod and not in Vanilla RTW. It's based off a video game, so I am not trying to make it accurate.)

Pella, Macedon
    August 16th 208 BC 4:00am

Night has fallan in the Macedonian capital. The peasants and commonfolk rest their tired bodies for the exhausting work that lies ahead of them in the morning. Off duty soldiers sleep in their bunks in a drunken stupor, while those on guard try their best to keep their eyes open. Two guards, standing outside the room of King Gyras, the wise and just ruler of Macedon, are bored out of their minds. Of the two guards, Nicanor is the senior. The 32 year old has served in the army his whole life. His wife and two girls lived in the slums of the city, where he visited every chance he had. The younger, Timandros, was relativly new to the army, having only been conscripted.

"Psst" said Timandros "Hey Nic."

"Were not supposed to talk, Tim." Nicanor hushed back.

"I know, but I'm bored." Timandros complained.

"Tim, we're standing guard outside of the room of our King. Some assassin can charge us at any moment and try to break in. Our asses are on the line, and you are telling me that you are bored?"
    Nicanor could not beileve the complaing coming from his compatriot.

"But Nic, nothing ever happens here! Our lord is one of the best kings we have ever had. Why would anybody want to kill him?"

"It doesn't matter, now shut up!"

For a few moments, the corridor was blanketed in silence. Then Timandros opens his mouth again.

"If they're gonna have us stand here all gods-damned night, the least they could do is pay us a little better."

Nicanor almost responded until he was interrupted by deep, heavy breathing. Both soldiers turned to the door, hands on their swords. Then, a woman's scream rippled through the whole palace. Nicanor, with his the instincts that had been drilled into his mind for 15 years, drew his sword and quickly opened the door. Timandros drew his own sword and followed behind him.

There they saw the graying king with his young wife, Kaleope. Her water had broken.

"Guards! Get the Physician!." Screamed the King.

Both guards ran towards the physicians room.

"Still bored out of you mind, Tim?" Nic said.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Antaeus the Great

Hello AdamtheGreat, welcome to the Mead Hall!

Interesting. I really like the social commentary between the two guards. Can only imagine what some of my own soldiers would say from the relatively assassin-less games i've played. Do you think to continue this work?

Default Re: Antaeus the Great

soon, my young padawan. soon