Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stories Thread

Phormion/Titvs WotB/BtSH Member YouHaveRecieved's Avatar

Default Re: Stories Thread

Personal Journal of Phormion Epiphaneion Armeniakon, Winter 262 BC

I am starting this journal in hope that one day it will be read and remembered by historians of the future and my families name be remembered throughout history. I am Phormion Epiphaneion, Strategos of the Arche Seleukeia. Around a month ago I was promoted to the rank of Strategos. I suppose it was because of my growing public awareness and my skills in running little towns and villages.

My family can be traced back through the ages. My grandfather, a Macedonian, fought for the Megas Alexandros during his war against the Persians. He was young then and quickly rose in ranks and quickly became one of the highest commanding officers of the cavalry in the whole army. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately depending on how you view it) he broke a rib where his own armour had punctured a hole in his chest. It wasn’t life threatening but he decided it was the end of his military career. At this time he was a middle aged man of around 30, so he went to the biggest city furthest away from his old life, Babylon.

Two generations later and I am the heir of the Armeniakon’s family name. My father lives out the rest of his days in Babylon, reading histories of wars and battles. Like his father before him he was a commander of me, this time leading the Phalangites. He ended up lower in rank than his predecessor but respected all the same.

I on the other hand, failed all school classes my father sent me to, seemed too dull to warrant a place in a military school. Instead I was left to run the family armourer business in which I succeeded well in. My father worked hard to get me elected as a local magistrate and eventually I moved up to take charge of a minor area near the mountains in Assyrie.

The region held local election for a Strategos and I won by a convincing margin. I inherited a handful of seasoned veterans for bodyguards, all of them big and imposing. The only I have came to know well is my clerk, who I had sent to Seleukeia to act as my scribe. I was surprised when he returned a few days later with a message from the Basileus to attend the Royal Council.

This is where I am now, sat in a backroom of a brothel with a prostitute asleep next to me. Tomorrow I ride to Edessa, gather my troops and ride for Persepolis.
    Phormion Epiphaneion Armeniakon
    Strategos of the Arche Seleukeia.

Titvs Valerivs Maximvs
    Tribvnus of the Roman Republic

The General's Relaxation After a Siege...

General Ankyrikos and his best Captain, his loyal friend, sit atop a well in the center of occupied Nikaia...

"You seem to be enjoying yourself general", the captain smirks.

The general, takes a long and deserved gulp of water. He allows it to quench his thirst and closes his eyes smiling at the Captains remarks. His eyes open, "Well...its the first city I've taken, how should I feel?"

The Captain nods and looks off into the breeze at some shackled prisoners. One of them is naked and bloody. He points, "Oh my look at this one here, he seems to of lost his armor," the General takes another long sip. "Servant get that man the finest of armors...order it from the Basileus himself!" he jokes.

The General spits out the water breaking down in childish laughter and the Captain joins. "Captain! You are truly the sickest of men!" He continues to laugh.

"What! You think that's wrong? Well maybe I should cancel my night alone with his wife ya?" Ankyrikos smiles. "Hell if shes built right ill join ya!" They chuckle.

"Well, good general, I'm off to bask in my own glory...there's got to be something entertaining to do in this town."

The General smiles, "Ya doing the wife". The Captain smiles, nods, pats the general on the shoulder and walks off.
    ~WotB~
    Strategos Epilektos Panaitolos Ankyrikos Commander of 1sy Lydian Army

~BtSH~

Consul/Dux Cornelius Blasio

Western Mikra Asia

"See, Polymarches? Everything is going well, just how I told you. The siege of Byzantion was over fast, and now we're going east, to aid the new Kleronomos in the management of his satrapy and possibly even interfere in the war between those Parni barbaroi and Baktrians, should orders come. And I sincerely hope they do." Mikithion bit his lip silently after muttering these last words. As a true Hellene through and through, he couldn't stand the thought of some barbaroi from the steppes daring to threaten a Hellenic civilization with extinction.

Polymarches yawned. Even this iron man felt exhausted after travelling an entire day, just after battle no less. At least he knew he would sleep well, and that was at least partially due to the fact Mikithion seemed to have finally secured a position in the Arche, and not as the laziest of all Strategoi.

"But didn't you intend to free Athenai?" The spear carrier inquired, rubbing his eyes.

Mikithion looked back, beyond his bodyguards that strolled after the three figures (Lisymakes was also with the duo, however the herbalist was nearly asleep and didn't partake in their conversation), towards where he knew lay the coast of Ionia, the island of Mytilene, the Aigai, and beyond it, the shores of Mother Hellas and his mother city, Athenai.

"Yes, I did... However Athenai is not threatened to be wiped out by barbaroi. We must make sacrifices, but not enormous ones. Baktria could very well be a sacrifice of my sentimentality if no one else decides to march to its aid and the Hellenes there cannot hold against the flood of the Parni. I trust that if Athenai is taken by one of our Strategoi, many will go against the sacking of such an ancient city, one of the craddles of Hellenic civilization."

Doubt crept over his brow, however the Hellene shook his head and focused his mind on the duties ahead instead of what may befall his home in his absence. True, the Arche was better than the Ptolemaioi, but just how much he didn't yet know. He was a relative newcommer to the big stage, and although he heard rumors both in Athenai and Antiocheia, they could barely be trusted to be thruthful, comming through the Ptolemaioi navy in one place and the Arche's garisson in the other.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Side 259 BC

In the small house in Side, along the coast of the great Arche empire, a lone servant was hurrying through the stone corridors of the house. He was worried, concerned, a frown was on his face and a sword hung absently by his side. He was walking up stairs now, and soon stood by a door on the third level. As a cool breeze blew through the window at the end of the corridor where he stood, he raised his hand, ready to knock.

His closed fist lowered slowly, uncertianty flashing over his face while furious sounds of writing echoed from within the room. He knocked quietly twice, and the writing stopped. Two heavy thuds and the door was swung open fast.
    "What!?" demanded the grey haired man holding the door.
    "I was wondering if you were alright." voiced the servant nervously, the lord frightening him.
    "Do I look alright to you!? Of course I;m bloody alright!" yelled the man, turning away to the desk he was writing at,
    "I am alright now, but this damned Empire isn't. Run by fools, I say."
    "You didn't say that, did you?" asked the servant quickly. The Stratego looked angrily at the servant, answer enough. He sighed loudly, standing up and going abruptly quiet, stabding at the window looking out.
    "By the Gods I hate this place." he muttered quietly, and the servant strained to hear him. The servant hurried to behind his master.
    "Is there something wrong, my lord?"
    "Yes, very much so." Theodotas turned quickly, startlign the servant, but Theodotas ignored him, racing to his desk and picking up the quill.

"I need to contact someone with authority. I need to do something, I need to MOVE!" he roared, writing furiously now. The servant was wary, and hovered nearby. Theodotas threw down the quill, sitting back and putting his hands over his face, trying to relax from the cramps in his back.
    "The Gods must need me here or I would barge into that dmaned Council Hall, useless as it is, and take the Chancellor by the collar and shake a damned answer out of him." He leaned forward, thinking, but the servant did not realize.
    "may I get you anything, my lord."
    "DAMNIT!" roared Theodotas, blowing up in anger completely and pulling a short knife from his waist. THe servant hurried, running but walking, and slammed the door shut quickly as the tip of the knife sliced through the door, settling mere inches from the servants face.
    "I NEED TO FIGHT! I NEED TO MOVE!" roared Theodotas, crashing around in his room, but it suddenly went quiet.
    "Leave, let me write." he ordered quietly, worrying the servant more then his shouting. As he raised his hand he stopped suddenly, afraid to tempt the man's brilliant anger. No, he would not tempt luck today again, and with that he walked away.

Theodotas, meanwhile, was in his room preparing a short message to the Basileus, asking for him to be able to command an army somewhere, preferably where there was fighting. THe promise he had publicl made, for the enemies heads to be brought directly the basileus stuck with him. Theodotas had no doubt he would eventually lead an army, he was angry that he did not already.
    Damned foolish man He thought angrily, thinking of the loss of the 1st Parthian Army, If that was me, I would've pulled away or demanded reinforcements. he thought confidently, ithcing for a chance to fight. He pulled himself away from the furious letter. Time will tell, he thought gravely, time will defintly tell.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

The Words of a Spirited Man: Winter 258 a wooded glen north of Edessa.

A man stands, his sword raised above his helmeted head. He gazes at his force, 120 Native phalangtite, men that would form the backbone of this battle. The 80 Persians archers at his command. And the 120 lightly armed spearman he also had. “Praise the Basileus for giving me such a force, and damn these rebels for making me throw some of their lives away.” Patrokles muttered, and then called for silence from his troops. They stopped and most men kneeled, showing respect to their commander. Patrokles scoffed “what are you men doing, bowing, to me? No, men I do not deserve such respect, in fact I Should kneel to you! To you, men that deserve better than this soon to be bloody field will give you. You deserve the highest honors, for you men are true patriots!” a roar shuddered through the crowd and men jostled in closer “You are the men who fight, die, and KILL. All for your country and for your Basileus.” Another roar “I am a patient man, a kind man, and I wish that it was not necessary to take you from your fields, and your shops. BUT there is one thing I am not patient to, one kind of person I am not kind to. And those people are rebels, for any man who would stand against the Arche deserves a swift trip to Hades, something I plan on giving them all” an even louder yell shook through the assembled army. Patrokles continued “and now let us not tarry, Let us fight, and yes if the gods will it, die. But if such things should pass then let me die with a hundred mans life staining my blade! FOR THE ARCHE!”
    The army mobilized and marched forward, they marched against a force twice times their number but with half as much spirit...... the rebels never had a chance.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 04-18-2009 at 00:52.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Inside the 1st Lydians Fort...day before their last battle.

Panaitolos' captain kneeled before him. The captain treated Panaitolos' knee wound. After finishing up, he bandaged the knee and sat next to the General.

"Think well make it out of this one General?"

Panaitolos chuckled"I think you and I both know well be living with Hades by night tomorrow."

The Captain turned to the General. He looked out on his men readying themselves for their last fight.

"So you request for mercenary troops was denied huh?" the captain inquired

"Yes, but reasonably so. I can imagine our rider was told something along the lines of "he got himself in this mess he can get himself out". Its too bad he probably wont make it in time to deliver the news. We may never really know."

The captain turned away from the general. Now viewing his troops as well.

"I had the men pack one item of importance to them and had the items snuck out to get to their families."

Panaitolos nods...

"Very good of you. Their will be many more widows soon, and it will be nice for their sons to have something they were here with." Panaitolos Sighs... "I cant decide now whether I came here for glory or for my men or for my country. Its not the same when you know you face death."

The captain unsheathed his sword. He ran a cloth across bringing it to a clean shine.

"I think tomorrow the answer to that will be simple. We will fight for us. You will fight for me, and I for you. And each man will have his last brother here at their last triumph."

The general turned to his captain...

"Suppose we will be remembered? Will their be a point here?"

"We will remember each other in the after life. Even their we will give our enemies hell."

They laughed and fell to silence, watching the sun fall behind the edge of the world. And Panaitolos breathed in his last whiff of truly peaceful air....
    ~WotB~
    Strategos Epilektos Panaitolos Ankyrikos Commander of 1sy Lydian Army

~BtSH~

Consul/Dux Cornelius Blasio

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Event 3: Rise of Persia!
    Rules

The Old Magistrate, Aristenos, rushed through the corridors of the palace. He was frightend and his face looked pale. Almost near the Council Hall he stopped to catch his breath and then entered the Hall.

"Strategoi of the Council! I come bearing some shocking news! Persian rebels in Persepolis, Gabai, Karmana and Propthasia have taken to arms and overthrown our governors, killed our garrisons and declared themselves enemies to our kingdom!

I wish was all, but those Persians have accepted Pahlava as their protector and one Member of Pahlavan Royal Family have been named the King of Persia! I don't know what his name is but he should reach Persepolis soon,
    and to make things even worse..." Aristenos stops and sighs... "these rebels have assassinated many of our Strategoi."

"The slain are many, but amongst them are the former satrap of Persis, Andromachos Syriakos, who had his heart pierced as archers bombarded his camp with arrows at night, were amongst the first to be murdered, but almost immediately afterwards Polyxenidos Lykikos and Apelles Iliou Troikou had their throats cut by some hired blades while they were inspecting the defence of Babylon. Anaxarchos Kyrrhestikes Syriakes were next in line when he swam in the Tigris river, while Hamaktyon Nikopoleos Syriakes was poisoned in Damaskos. Lastly..." Aristenos makes another pause... "Lastly the Basileus' own brother, Theodoros Syriakos, was murdered in Phoinike while he was hunting. He got separated from his bodyguards, and by the time they got to him, he was already dead: pierced repeatedly by many swords."

Aristenos lowers his head and shakes it lightly.

"May the gods show mercy on us, for we might be seeing another Rise of Persia!"

Story is written with The Celtic Viking
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 02-09-2009 at 17:38.

Wasted time?
    His feet were kicked languidly on the desk in front of him and he shifted through the piles of paperwork, all of them bearing official seals. His face was full of vitality as he gazed at documents most other men would think of as boring. Behind him a man stood face stern with a silver studded sword strapped to his belt.
    “Patrokles the last troops have been levied; there really is no point to staying here in Selukeia as a paper-pusher. We have much bigger things to do, the Phalavans await !” his eyes gazed hungrily to the east.
    “Hyllos I want this military post as much as anyone. But your blood thirst does surprise me, never have I seen a man so eager to walk to his own possible death? Hmm. However, the Arche is not just properly served by rushing off into battle against its enemies; it is served by making sure it runs properly! Bureaucracy is key to our continued prosperity. “
    Hyllos smirked, his arms crossing over his chest, “so says Patrokles, a man already famous in Selukeia for running at the first sign of a nobleman. Or perhaps even worse a noblewoman!”
    Patrokles brow furrowed “we both know that I don’t have the tact to stay in with the nobles, they are to frivolous, to ready to strangle me with my own words. Perhaps I will never have the same influence in the court as others, but again I could care less. I can rule but I can not speak, I am quickly finding a large difference between the two…”
    Hyllos smirk widens “words to live by.” His face goes blank once again “but my friend, I feel as though we are spending to much time here, every second in this city is a second not spent securing the east, which is I might add the reason we are here in the first place.”
    Patrokles sighs, “Fine, fine, you are right. I took command of the 1st Babylonian to save the Arche, and that is what I shall do.” He grins, “Though I fear the city has spoiled me! How can I go back to the road when I can live a cushy life as a governor?”
    Hyllos smiles as well “sloth has never been you vice Patrokles, something I deeply admire in you!”
    Patrokles shrugs “to right, it seems I choose the road. Go to the troops, its time they knew what they are going to have to live like as a soldier in this army! Its time to prove my devotion, its time to make my name!”
    Hyllos rubs his hand together eagerly and rushes out of the room his last words being “Hail the Arche!”
    Patrockles smiled “hail the Arche!” He looked back at the piles of paperwork on his desk, almost reaching down to sort it and organize it…
    He shrugs, let the next bureaucrat deal with it.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 04-18-2009 at 00:52.
    Micheal D'Anjou

The Road Not Taken:

"We are at a crossroads Patrokles." Hyllos face was slightly dirty from the roads grime, his sword still slung in easy reach, “the reports filtering in place Sokrab e Zandig’s army at almost three times our number. Even I am not eager to go to battle against that force. Even I am not so bloodthirsty.”
    Patrokles laughs “ I am glad you finally see the light my friend. This is a serious thing, this isn’t some rebellion, this is a trained army. If we march to battle against them people will die.” Patrokles sits and places his head in his hands “but we could take them, I have to believe that. We were recruited to fight the Phalavans, and so that is what we shall do.”
    Hyllos leaned against a tent, “we do have another option, let Phanias deal with Sokrab and head to Persepolis, wait until the army is dealt with and then move on to our objective.” Hyllos shrugs “his royal army could make short work of him.”
    Patrokles smirks “you are singing quite a different tune compared to how you were acting when we were in Selukeia,” “then all you could talk about was getting on the road, about taking the fight to the Phalavans.”
    Hyllos casts his gaze to the ground “that was when I was talking as your friend, now I am talking as your bodyguard. You could get yourself killed in this battle. And where would that leave me, with a shattered disheartened army that would probably disintegrate in days.” Hyllos crossed his arms across his chest. “Like or not those men out there aren’t as important as you.”
    Patrokles grins wiry “perhaps it would be best not to say that to their face." patrokles face crinkles "I am starting to think our roles have reversed, I am the one eager for battle while you try and hold me back.” “You are however forgetting something Hyllos.”
    Hyllos looks up “what is that?”
    “You always win those arguments, and we always end up marching into battle.” Patrokles whistles to one of the captains “get the army ready, we are marching into Gabai! For the Arche!” Patrokles walks away, still leaving Hyllos against the wall.
    For almost an hour, Hyllos leans there until finally, “Damn, he’s right!” Hyllos exclaimed, “I really need to get back to winning these arguments.”
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 04-18-2009 at 00:50.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Gabai:
    The people stood behind closed doors, their fear palpable throughout the city, the first Babylonian kept the city under tight watch. With curfew and martial law imposed until the Arche could bring in a more stable government. Patrokles stood in the governor’s manor watching darkness unfold across the buildings.
    “They are afraid of us… Why is that Hyllos, we came here to save them. And yet they sit in their houses terrified.” Patrokles face crinkled in confusion.
    Hyllos laughed “come on Patrokles, these are the very people who rebelled against us. Can you honestly say you care if they are scared of us or not?”
    “These aren’t the ones who rebelled; these are the town folk, the people who had no hope of standing up to the armed Phalavans. And because of that I do care if they are terrified of us.” Patrokles looked over to Hyllos.
    “Those town people don’t care who their leaders are, do you think their life was any worse under the Phalavans? It was exactly the same, the same distant uncaring government.” Hyllos snorted.
    “And why is that? Why doesn’t the government care Hyllos? Aren’t we here fighting for the good of those people and that government? Your logic seems flawed.”
    “All right, let me put it like this the Arche is huge, it cant catter to the will of all of its people. To these people right here it seems as though no one cares about them, that the only reason we are here is simply to keep an iron fist over them.” Hyllos shook his head.
    Patrokles head shook and he stood staring at the city a while longer before saying, “you know, Hyllos I never have asked you where you grew up.”
    “Babylon, The greatest city in the world! That’s what my parents always said. I love it there..” Hyllos looked back to the west
    “and yet you are the one who hurried me out of the fertile crescent, you are a strange man Hyllos.”
    “maybe, but at least I know what I want in life. Maybe you should try and figure out what you do.” Hyllos grinned and walked out of the room
    Patrokles sat, and thought.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 04-18-2009 at 00:49.
    Micheal D'Anjou

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

A few miles away from Petra.

"That's the last of them, sir." One of the Companions approached Hierax and pointed in the distance to where the corpse of a Ptolemaic soldier lay with about three arrows in his back. "The others are too far away for our infantry to reach them, shall I order my men to pursue?"

"No," was the young general's half-whispered reply. For a moment he seemed to ignore his adjutant, but then he continued: "Let them rest, there will be plenty of bloodshed to come."

The elder soldier could sense the tension in his voice and he approached. "My general, what ails?" and as he drew closer, it became clear what the cause of this nervousness was. The soldier followed Hierax's gaze to a spot in the blood-stained sand where, half-burried, lay the torn body of the enemy general, Paramonos Philopator.

"He was a great general." The Hetairos said, more in acknowledgment of Hierax than of the deceased.

"Far greater than I." was the disappointed reply.

"Yet he was not my general." Firmly stated the soldier. This made his young commander finally turn from the body to face his lieutenant. "And it is you, general... my general who earned victory today. It was you... it was your hand with this very sword that slew this titan." And he grabbed his general's arm and held it towards the heavens. "It was your strong arm that led us, your mighty sword that brought us victory. Glory to thee, my general!"

Hierax peered into his loyal soldier's eyes and only nodded in acknowledgment. "Bring me a messenger," he said "I must notify the Basileus."

"Aye, sir." He let go of Hierax's arm and hurried to carry out his orders. But the young general still held his arm up, and beyond the blade of his sword, just over the weapon's sharp edge he could see a shadow forming in the violent storm, a hardly discernible figure but he knew immediately what it was- Petra. The city that had caused his brothers in arms so much grief, whose armies his father had fought for years. Now, it lay within his grasp- within the reach of his sword.

"You shall bring me glory."
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Home:
    Patrokles stands outside of his tent surveying the great army before him, Hyllos stood at his back
    "You know Patrokles; you never told me where you came from either."
    Patrokles looked back smiling "your right Hyllos, My father is from Macedonia, and a military man who had served the arche for much of his life, he was always on the road. My mother is a native, from" Patrokles smirked "Babylon, Ironic isn’t it Hyllos. I spent the first 10 years of my life in Babylon, and I have to agree with your parents, it is the best city in the world, I will always remember it fondly as my home."
    Hyllos laughed, “This wouldn’t happen to be the reason it was so hard to get you out of that dusty desk in Babylon would it?”
    Patrokles laughed as well, “perhaps it was Hyllos, and perhaps it was. In fact, I wouldn’t mind heading back their,” Patrokles smirked at bit mischievously. “Once the Phalavan campaign is over we will see it again Hyllos, I can promise that.”
    Patrokles sighed Hyllos frowned and looked over “what’s wrong?”
    “I was just thinking how much about me has changed since I started serving the arche as a general, but enough of that, keep the men in line while I am at the council. And Hyllos”
    “yes?”
    “Send A messenger to Liatus, ask him to await us in Babylon, I need to talk to him on my way to the council.”
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 06-30-2009 at 22:37.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Siles Laodikeias Lydikes gathered up his belongings. He took one last look around the great estate where he had lived most of his life, knowing that when he returned everything would be different. It was dark in Selukeia, and though he knew the gaurds wouldn't think anything of the young noble being out, he knew that his dear mother would worry if she caught him.
    Forgive me, he thought.

His body guards, all of them young and naive, picked because they admired the Strategos and not because they had much forethought as to what their actions might result in, met him outside the town gates. The gates were open, of course. Why shouldn't they be?

Siles Laodikeias Lydikes was headed for Arbela.

The horses hooves shook the earth, a premonition for what was to come.
    Strikeout!

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Memphis, Governor's Palace

"Well Achaikos, it seems we have got unfinished business with Ptolemy. He won't let us go now that ya killed his heir. We head West. I will see about leading an army to finish Ptolemy off. Cunobelinus sighs I fear that we will not stop fighting even after we defeat Ptolemy. Further West there is another Empire.. Carthage. My people have traded with Carthage for many years... They are a powerful people, The Gods watch over them. But they are also a very distrustful people, our proximity to them will perhaps offend them. The King may lead us into another brutal war. Many will perish in the desert... We must see to it that We maintain good relations with Carthage. I will make note of this at the next council meeting."
    "Sounds good. Still what about your City?"
    "Memphis? yes what about it?"
    "Don't you think leaving to campaign often would be irresponsible?"
    "Sticking my nose in the maths is irresponsible. Leaving is a load off the delegates' backs! And I've been itching to get out in the wild again. I was born in the wild!" The Celt smiles wide.
    "Well there would be no better choice than you to lead this... or any campaign. You saved this city with no help from the the King's army at all!"
    Cunbelinus frowns
    "This is true, brother... His army was well within marching distance. Hmmm, there must be a good reason why he didn't send help... I've fought alongside him before... I wouldn't think he abandoned me. This matter should be discussed with him later privately maybe...Cunobelinus scratches his beard.OH! My wife wants you to take my boy to the shops later, he needs to find a new cloak and boots to campaign with us soon!"
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 04-24-2009 at 06:20.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Insurrection:
    Patrokles stood in front of the walls of Babylon, his face a blank slate as he stared at Liatus. “I can send someone else; it doesn’t have to be you Liatus.”
    Liatus laughs, “we both know you can’t JUST send a messenger, it has to be someone a bit higher up on the food chain than that, and guess what that’s me!”
    “Liatus, thank you.”
    “For what?”
    “For not thinking I am bat**** crazy.”
    Liatus laughs harder and saddles his horse “I believe in what you have done Patrokles, always remember that”, and he marches off into the rising sun.
    Patrokles stood there for a long time before quietly slipping into the city, where he went to the home of Hyllos, to perform a deed as dangerous as Liatus’s.
    “Patrokles, I am surprised you are here. Why?”
    “Hyllos, I would rather you heard our plan from me, and not from the soldiers tomorrow.”
    “What the hell are you talking about?”
    “you have noticed my meetings with Hermokrates Parthikos, Epikrates Tabaiou, and Siles Laodikeias I assume?”
    “Of course.”
    “Well I am about to tell you are meetings purpose. We are seceding from the arche with the cities of Mesopotamia. You were right Hyllos, the arche is too large, to corrupt, and this is the answer to that.”
    Hyllos’s mouth drops and he reflexively takes a step back “Patrokles…. You can’t…. You have spent a good part of your life fighting rebels…. I don’t understand…”
    Patrokles grimaces “ Hyllos, you once asked me what my purpose in life is, and I think I have found it. It is to fight the corruption that premates the arche, and to create something better. That is what’s going to happen. That is my purpose.”
    Hyllos cocks his head to the side “maybe you are right Patrokles, but if you go through with this you have a very good chance of hanging. You know this.”
    “Then perhaps I need a bodyguard?”
    Hyllos laughs, “Maybe you are right. Though why you need two is beyond me!”
    “Good to see you are back with us Hyllos.”
    “Perhaps I never left!”

and moments after, the flag was raised throughout the cities of mesopatamia
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 05-08-2009 at 02:15.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Justification?

Patrokles gazed back to the east, his thoughts squarely on the messenger he had received from Babylon, the city was in a riot, Eprikrates was keeping things under control, but only just.... it pained him he could not be there, but he had to trust in his new co-king.
    "Hyllos, I am starting To work through what I have done, and I feel as though this may be a inescapable conclusion. I am greedy..."
    Hyllos frowns "we are all greedy Patrokles, we all look out primarily for ourselves, I knew from the start this was never about Sarpedons supposed corruption. That is something only the foolish would believe, the naive. But you know what, I am still here, and I am still by your side. do you know why Patrokles?"
    "I assume because you are getting paid Hyllos, that is normally why bodyguards stick around." Hyllos laughs his head shaking
    "No Patrokles, it was never about the money, its for two reasons, and two reasons only. 1. you are my friend Patrokles, and I would follow you to the gates of Hell and back. and 2. I believe even if your motives weren't entirely pure, you can still accomplish what you said. you can create something better, something greater, and something lasting. I think that with your help Babylon can rise to new heights, and I have a feeling its in part due to you. for a century your name will go down in infamy, you will be despised for this. but you know what, that wont matter because if you succeed the good will out way the bad and soon enough the historians will be writing your praise. The ends justify the means my friend, the evil you have done will be pale in comparison to the good. I have to believe that."

Patrokles face grimaces, "obviously The people of Babylon don't agree, they are in revolt already, the praise that swept their lips earlier lost in a shower of hate...."

"bahh, the common people are never happy, they are a fickle lot, but soon enough they will follow you. just give it time."

Patrokles laughs aloud, "I am amazed Hyllos,"
    "why?"
    "never did I think my best friend would turn out to be such a philosopher!"
    They both share a laugh, but their gaze inevitably shifts west.
    "do you think Sarpedon is getting ready as we speak?" Hyllos asks.
    "perhaps, perhaps not. I cant know. you know If I saw him right now I would have only one question Hyllos..."
    "what Patrokles?"
    "I would ask him where the hell my brother was!" Patrokles face hardened.
    "I personally would ask him why in the world he was trying to fight with the toughest Babylonian in the Arche." Hyllos says smirking.
    " I wouldn't say the strongest Hyllos, but I am up there." Patrokles responded grinning
    "no no no, not you I am sure he could flatten you like a child, I was of course speaking about myself!" Hyllos Smiles and both share a laugh, still staring west.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 05-08-2009 at 02:20.
    Micheal D'Anjou

The bowels of Antioch
    It was a small nondescript place, but it served Liatus needs well enough. he worriedly wrote his latest letter, he hoped his next messenger would manage to get to Babylon. it had been quite a few months since he had given his message to the royal council. and after he had been let go by Sarpedon (quite a surprise that!) instead of making his back to Patrokles he had decided to stay behind in Antioch, where he hoped he would be able to better help his brother. that was his mistake, he had manged to get a small ring of men around him, but every attempt he had made to send a messenger to his brother had failed, Sarpedons guard was just to good at the moment. He sighed, now he had no idea what was going on, he had heard the rumors, but it would have been better to be back at Patrokles side, Patrokles was just south of Edessa, his army with him. He might be there trying to capture a bit more land for his kingdom, but maybe not, that was the frustrating part, he was totally out of the loop. He finished his letter, handing it off to his newest messenger, he ran off to Edessa . he wished he could make the journey for himself.... but it was far to dangerous, Sarpedon may have given him his freedom, but the city watch was still looking for him after his little "circle" was uncovered. In all he had made a mistake, and there was only one thing he was thinking, His brother had no idea where he was, and that could end badly.... Patrokles may assume Sarpedon was far less lenient then he was, and Liatus hoped that wouldn’t lead to any hasty decisions.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 05-10-2009 at 02:14.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Madness..... (or as I like to call it, finally introducing Patrokles melancholy and warmongering personality traits! and Trying to get some other rebels to step up to the plate lead us)

Patrokles stared long and hard at the wall of Antioch, his minds eye looking back to all the times he had entered the city in friendship... now here he stood at the head of a army, poised to conquer one of the strongest cities in the arche. He had known his path would take him here from the beginning, his kingdom would have never been able to sit back and let Sarpedon properly muster his forces, in that kind of war the rebels would have given up their one advantage, Local superiority, they had to seize the initiative, and what better way to do that than march on the heart of the west? Patrokles looked behind him to the 1st Babylonian, to the men who had been with him from the beginning... he smiled, they didn't doubt him, they had no regrets about their actions, unlike Patrokles himself. he would admit it to no one, but Patrokles was starting to regret his actions, to him the rebellion had seemed a goal, a thought exercise, but in his frenzy of planning he had never once thought his motivations less than pure.

now he knew better, yet there was no going back, no returning to how things once were. Patrokles would either live a hero in the peoples mind or die a villain. He didn't dislike Sarpedon, he even respected the man more now he was no longer under his yoke, but they were still enemies, and if it came down to him or Sarpedon, he would kill the other man with just a thought.

The person he once was had died, and so a new Patrokles had arisen. before all of this he wished only for the arche to prosper, to perhaps retire to some palace and live out his days in peace. now he wanted only to be cut down in battle, besides the men he knew so well... he thought back to his vision of governing Babylon and discarded it, there was no place in his new self for such peace... he had others able to rule in his stead. Eprikrates was good man, he would manage their new home. he would rule the council and all else while Patrokles was off on campaign, and when Patrokles finally died (not so distant a thought Patrokles mused!).
    He looked up at the city wall, they were lined with poorly armed soldiers, people who would be butchered in the coming battle, the old Patrokles would have questioned why it had to be that way, the new Patrokles simply shrugged. He almost tried to compare himself to Sarpedon in those moments, but stopped, a usurper like himself had no reason to do so. and so Patrokles planned his next action carefully, mostly for the sake not of Morality but of Practicality.

That thought almost shook Patrokles, but once again he simply shrugged, and thought back to his brother. wondering what he might say if he saw Patrokles now.... Patrokles sighed much more deeply, If he came out of this alive he would have to rely on Liatus as his compass, it was obvious his own Ideas of right and wrong was gone forever.... Him and Hyllos would have to be his Morality, because Patrokles was losing his own.... it was something about sending men to die, he mused, that let a man discard his convictions, his hopes, and his dreams... He roused himself from these thoughts, it was no use thinking off the unchangeable, and mounted his horse. he galloped around the defenses yelling for the defenders to simply surrender, to not force him to kill more than he needed.
    Sarpedon would either end this war, or Patrokles would make sure he regretted it.
    Liatus would not be pleased.... and at that moment he was one of the few people whom's opinion actually mattered to Patrokles,
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 05-10-2009 at 21:22.
    Micheal D'Anjou

High Walls, Low Spirits

Patrokles had finally met his brother not long after the battle, when entering Sarpedons palace. There he had met his brother, and a group of his followers, already having secured the place from the scant guards. they smiled and hugged, both overjoyed knowing the other was well. the good feelings didn't last, however when Patrokles had told Liatus his plan for the city.
    "its our only option Liatus," Patrokles said "Either Sarpedon accepts peace, or he loses one of his greatest assets. I am willing to end this however he wants, either me dead and the Arche in anarchy or Sarpedon dead and peace reestablished. I just don't care at this point brother."
    Liatus sighs "you've changed since we last met Patrokles, what is this talk? we can resolve this peacefully, we can save you and Sarpedon. we can end this without death and destruction."
    "I am not seeing it Liatus, this is going to end how it should, the two of us on the battlefield, our armies killing each other around us. Sarpedon will never accept my terms, he is to stubborn for that. I have shamed him and he wants his vengeance"
    Liatus sighs again, his head shaking "I cant reason with you on this can I?"
    "not really."
    "fine then at least allow me this, don't tear down the city yet, stay here for a while, don't rush things. just wait. Sarpedon may open negotiations, he may see that we can end this now."

a messenger runs in, his face haggard from his long journey "Sarpedon has stated he will not be opening negotiations, that if any buildings of his city is harmed he will have Patrokles head."

Patrokles laughs aloud "There is your answer! now do you see Liatus, it can end only one of two ways." Patrokles face becomes haggard, and he leans back and closes his eyes. "one of two ways....."
    Patrokles sits back in thoughts, surveying how things could have turned out so... a thought sparked in his head, one he latched on to. he was so tired.... so very tired of it all... Perhaps he could end this.
    a commander of his men entered, asking where his men should bunk in the city, he responded "there's a barracks here isn't there? take that over for now. we may be staying a while."

"what about your orders to raze it if Sarpedon rejected your offer?" the man replies
    " for now that wont be happening, you will be the first to know if that changes."

he fell back into his own thoughts, Liatus was right, maybe there was a peaceful route. but not in the way he expected. He laughed aloud once again, and left the room, his thoughts wondering if he was about to do the right thing.
    Micheal D'Anjou

The rebel camp, 245 BC, before the battle of Antioch

His thoughts turned back to his son, his young son. And the thought almost broke Patrokles, he was married now, and he had people relying on him. Yet here he stood, outside the city of Antioch once again… his army behind him, Epikrates beside him, and Sarpedon in front. With his own army beside him… this was the end, finally this would all end. Patrokles just hopped it would end the way he wanted it to. But still, he had a son now, what would he do if his father never came home? It was an unsettling thought. Patrokles had thought the part of him terrified of death had dried up long ago, but now….. He sighed and pulled on his horse’s reigns, bringing them to a stop. He called for a general halt of his army, and turned to face Hyllos. Who as always was at his side, “well Hyllos, this is it. There is no retreating this time, no falling back and regrouping. We will either die here, or we will kill here.”
    Hyllos’s eyes glinted “your right, its exciting isn’t it!”
    Patrokles smiled “we are right back where we started aren’t we Hyllos?”
    Hyllos laughed, flourishing his hands outward “you are quite right, I have returned to my former glory, and former bloodlust!”
    “Your right, we have come full circle haven’t we?” Patrokles put his head in his hand and rubbed his temples “Go and grab the commanders of the regiments Abderus, Niklau, Aeson, Cyrus, and Zoroaster. Send them to my command tent. We have a lot of planning to do if we plan to accomplish anything in this battle.”
    Patrokles turned once again, this time facing his brother Liatus.
    Liatus spoke first; his face turned into a scowl “I assume you are going to tell me to leave.”
    Patrokles smiled “yes Liatus, yes I am. I don’t want to be cruel, but you are not a fighter. I was always the warrior, and you were always the better person.” Patrokles smile disappears “I want you to watch my family Liatus. There is a very real possibility I am going to end up dead before this day is up. I want my son to be safe Liatus. Do you hear me?”
    Liatus shoulders slump, his face looks defeated “fine…. You are right. Just stay alive ok? We have done far to much to have it all undone in one battle. And brother.”
    “Yes?”
    “Good luck!” Liatus walks to the east, leaving Patrokles alone. He sighs one last time before picking his way towards his command tent.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 06-30-2009 at 22:17.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Epilogue:

The carnage was huge....... blood soaked the field that the remains of Patrokles guard sat in.
    "Well, this is it then." Patrokles said. Staring at the remains of his men, Tears streamed down his cheeks as he saw these men, the men he had spent his time with for more than 10 years, die. Die for nothing he bitterly thought. He looked over to Hyllos, "Get out of here, take everyone you can and go. I am going to see if the gods are on my side."
    "What does that mean Patrokles?"
    "let us see if one man can take down a king."
    Patrokles turned his horse around and his horse lurched forward as he galloped towards Sarpedons guard. Hyllos ran forward and slammed the flat edge of his sword in to Patrokles head. He slumped in his saddle and Hyllos tethered his horse to Hyllos's own. He turned and called over the commanders, what was left of them anyway.
    "Forget what Patrokles just said. He is out of his mind at the moment and I am taking command. We all need to help cover Patrokles movement out of this deathtrap."
    The men nodded, they would not leave their commander.

That was when things started to fall apart..... Sarpedons men moved in, the last of his heavy infantry charging in on the last of Patrokles men. They were overwhelmed..... They fought bravely, but were outmatched and outnumbered. Many fell on that field, and Hyllos understood the day was lost when Sarpedon himself charged the field Towards Patrokles and his guard.
    "Some men don't understand the folly of the victor..." Hyllos said, "Let us see what the gods have in store for us all then!" Hyllos rallied the Guards, meeting Sarpedon on the field..... They fought with a desperation born of a man understanding his doom, but soon enough they were also outmatched. Hyllos fell to the blades, his armor broken and bloodied from the battle. He slumped in his horse, whispering his last words "Heh, it was worth it in the end, we gave the greatest army in the Arche a run for its money...." he looked to where he knew Patrokles lay "I just wish in the end it could have worked out... Let us hope our death was not in vain....." he fell from his horse the deep wounds in his side finally overcoming him. In the end just more picking for the looters who would tear the field apart in the days to come.

The last of Patrokles troops lost hope, bolting from the field, fear in there hearts. The self-proclaimed king of Babylon was soon to be no more....

Far away in Babylon, things looked just as dark, but for another reason. A rainstorm had started and by the time, Liatus reentered the city, his heart grim. It would be days before the news of his brother’s capture would reach him. Days, he would spend weaving tales of his brothers victory to Patrokles young son......

(I don't care if no one else finds this chilling, I do. Spent the last like 4 months role playing Patrokles, and this is pretty sad for me.)
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 07-31-2009 at 02:42.
    Micheal D'Anjou

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

The Fate of Patrokles Adiabenikos
    Sarpedon entered through the gates of Antiocheia at the forefront of his army, and his Hypaspistai followed behind him, dragging with them a shabby man with dirty looks and a long beard. His physical state was completely wrecked, and he could not walk on his own, so his uncovered feet were dragging in the ground. At one time, that man had called himself a king. That man was Patrokles Adiabenikos, but from looking at his body and face, it was hard to tell. The countless hours of torture had left its mark - but he was still alive and breathing.

When they got to the place where the once mighty barracks had stood, Sarpedon signaled for the troop to stop. He dismounted and looked at the ongoing construction, that fitted one unusual pillar. He turned to Patrokles, pulled up his shabby head by the hair and looked straight into his eyes.

"I guess this is where we part ways, old friend, even if only for a while. I'll make sure to come and visit you again, if you manage to stay alive, but... well, we'll see how long you will last, first. "

He smiled and let Patrokles head go, and as he did so, it returned to the original position with the face aimed straight into the ground, as if he didn't even have the strength to carry his own head. Sarpedon gave a signal to the guards, who put him in place in the pillar, and workers quickly built him in so that he could do nothing but stand and look out through a small opening that had been made for his face.

"It's a fitting twist of fate, isn't it?", Sarpedon said. "You destroyed the barracks here only to become a building block for the new ones, and here you will stay and repay your crimes until Hades takes you." Sarpedon laughs. "Oh, but don't worry - we'll do our best to keep you alive so you won't have to bring the shame of dying in debt!" He laughed once more, before he drew a dagger and made small marks on his chins and forehead. He smiled.

"Well, that's enough for this time; I must be going now. Pressing business; I'm sure you understand. Nothing personal." Without looking back, Sarpedon rode on to his palace.

There Patrokles was left until he finally died.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123