Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyrus gets a Saba CTD

Default Cyrus gets a Saba CTD

My Sab'yn campaign on 1.1 got blocked pretty often since i would have to restart a ctd game,as soon as i would press the end turn button it would go straight to the desktop,after awhile it stopped doing that and did it only once in a while,now it just doesn't stop doing it and im really annoyed by this.Since its my first post i cant include a url thing so in in the next
    ps also my epirote ,getai and lusotann have thesame problem but not romani,makedo and qart hadastim

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Default Re: How (and why) to post a SaveGame

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Default Re: Cyrus gets a Saba CTD

Have you got the fixes?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

What are they?

Oh sorry but i forgot to say that i get a ctd with the romans too sometimes after battles,when i click the check mark at the end,this is usually,except for the saba's the reason for the ctds

You need to wait before exiting the battle stats pop-up. This is an RTW problem and is solved by waiting for about 30 secs after the battle is won before exiting back to the campaign map.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

wow ok thanks that solves 1 problem but what about my saba campaign?

read bovi's signature and follow all the instructions you find. Once you do that and you still have problems file a proper bug report as shown under "Important Information".

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

the problem is that i really dont understand what im supposed to do im not a really good computer user

and also it doesnt say anithing about what my problem is

Then say which part of the instructions are unclear.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

well....for starers it doesnt say anything about a ctd
    2)its not really clear what the fixes do (and i now they fix the game its just not specific enough for someone who has never used'em before)

The fixes are described, and you don't need to know anything more than what is said there. Actually you don't need to know what they do at all, you only need to install them. Now, which part of the instructions for installing them are unclear?

================
    ================

Actually i couldn 't find them.
    but anyway the main problem is i cant find any solution to my problems.exept from other posts from wich i picked up to try and save more than once wich i will definitely do.but other than that i couldn't find anything

Couldn't find them what?

Quote Originally Posted by fixes
    • Traits PROBABLY RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-04-27: Nomad client ruler impostor fix.
      • There was a comment missing its marker, with unknown effects.
      • The nomad factions' client rulers got the "impostor" trait while staying in their settlement.
      • Download this file from the EB FTP.
      • Unpack into <RTW directory>/EB/data.
    Marked the instructions red.

I have a hard time understanding what your problem is. You'll have to explain better if I'm going to be of more help.
    Last edited by bovi; 09-20-2008 at 01:34.

================
    ================

Ok well,my main problem is that whenever i try to pass a turn in my saba campaign it makes the gong sound and as soon as the saka rauka simbol shows up in the top of the screen i get a ctd.
    i tryed looking at the fixes,but not knowing what this problem is called i dont know which fix to get.

You get all the permanent fixes. Because they are permanent and see if that solves your problem.

Then you try the temporary fixes. And see if that solves your problem.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Ooooooooooh
    ok now i get it,no one ever said that.ill get all the permanent ones and check if it goes.thanks
    ps still is there a reason why eb causes all these ctd's?

No, there are several reasons. Some of them we don't know the reasons for, while some we know how they come about, but don't know how to fix it. In the case of the cloning apparently caused by client rulers we haven't released a definitive fix because there is an unofficial mod that removes them and, the fix will be a part of the next release. The optional fixes are still up for those who prefer speed to stability.

================
    ================

Ok so I installed all the permanent fixes and i get crashes much much less.With all new campaigns i get no new ones,but with my pontus and saba,as soon as the roman simbol comes after i hit end turn I get an other ctd.Should I install the temporary fixes?Should i just forget about these campigns?(i really was enjoying them so that's why i ask).

Hello?
    would anyone please answer?i sent this message 3 days ago its getting kinda annoying.

Yes try installing the temporary fixes, see if that gets you past the turn. If not try and see if you can find a cloned general anywhere. If you do then you'll have to remove him somewhere else.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Ok but i dont understand exactly what im supposed to do.For ex. what does take a backup mean?
    would u mind telling me in english what i have to do step by step?

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I think I'll help the mods out.

To keep it simple, the permanent and temporary fixes are in the form of Notepad documents, same as most of the scripts and files needed to run EB. AT this stage you don't need to know what they contain, how they work, or even how to look at them. You just need to place them in your EB folder. I will refer to the Notepad documents as Files, for lack of a better word.

Just in case your unsure where these fixes go, you need to open up your EB folder (which shouldn't be in Program Files, but a seperate directory inside the C Drive or whichever is your harddrive). It should be somewhere like this C:/Activision/Rome-Total War/EB and inside that folder will be all the EB files and inner directories. This is where everything needed for EB to run is stored, so no messing about with it.

Now, the best thing to do about backing up files is to go back out of the EB folder, and into the Rome-Total War folder. Create a new folder within the R-TW directory, and call it EB Backup or similar, just something that tells you what it is plain and simple.

Ok, with all that done, you may want to open a new window and follow the path back to your original EB folder, alongside your new EB Backup folder, so both are open on the screen, if this makes sense.

Your now ready to download the fixes, following the simple instructions on Bovi's page. You should do them in the order they are layed out. I won't explain how to do each one individually, as the process is the same. I'll explain one and let you carry on from there.

Say then, that you are just downloading the first permanent fix;

Permanent fixes for 1.1:

* Traits PROBABLY RETROACTIVE
    o Updated 2008-04-27: Nomad client ruler impostor fix.
    o There was a comment missing its marker, with unknown effects.
    o The nomad factions' client rulers got the "impostor" trait while staying in their settlement.
    o Download this file from the EB FTP.
    Unpack into <RTW directory>/EB/data.

On your internet browser it will have the part EB FTP as a hyperlink. Click on this. It will ask you to download the file. Select Open with Windows Explorer. A new window will pop up, and it will contain one Notepad file, called export_descr_character_traits. This is the fixed file. You do not need to open it, change it, mess it about in any way.

Before you do anything with this one, open up your EB folder. Inside, there should be a folder called Data. Enter this folder. You'll see lots of folders and Text documents. Either scroll down or search for the Text document named export_descr_character_traits, just like the name of the fix. When you find it, click on it once to highlight it, and press CTRL+C, or right click and select 'Copy'.

Open up your EB Backup folder that you created. Inside it, make a new folder called 'Data', and inside this folder press CTRL+V, or right click and select 'Paste'. A copy of the original Text document export_descr_character_traits is now safe and secure. This is the back up. These copies are for you to keep safe and use in case the fixes or any modding you do is incompatible, and you need a fresh, reliable version of the essential code needed to run EB.

Now that you have a secure back up, go back to the downloaded version of the export_descr_character_traits. Simply drag it, copy and paste it, or cut and paste it into your EB/Data folder, not your EB back up folder. It should ask whether you want to overwrite this file. Select 'Yes', 'Overwrite' or whatever. That is one fix done.

Follow these guidelines for all the fixes, but don't forget to create a back up version of every file you overwrite before you overwrite it.

Hope this helped, and if you are unsure about anything or need more detail don't hesitate to ask.

Bean
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

The files are not Notepad documents, but zip files, but I suppose Baen's description works well anyway.

You need to know that some of the fixes contain files that go into subfolders. These subfolders are inside the zip file, so as long as you drag all the contents, including the folders, from the downloaded fix directly into EB/data you should be good.

================
    ================

yes finally i have almost all the info i need.just 2 problems:
    1 what does backup mean?
    2 Since i did many things wrong im gonna have to reinstall.i cant even access the game now, i just get an emediate crash.

================
    ================

Hi to all, after a big stop in this post i am sorry to admit that i have more problems......
    Well let's start by saying that i uninstalled and reinstalled EB hence i have also started new campaigns.
    Let's get to the problems now, i am currently undergoing 3 campaigns: Hayasdan, Baktria, and Rome; before i installed the fixes i wanted to check if i would get still ctd's and surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do.....
    I get some temporary and sporadic ones all the time and they are getting really annoyng,so I used the permanent fixes that bovi posts,and still more crashes( to make shure I did it right i'm gonna say how i did it, i downloaded the files, from another computer,put them on my pen drive and installed'em on my comp. i extracted them and put them in the data folder).I stopped getting the small ctd's for a small while and continued on my romani campaign, and that's where I get a permanent ctd. it's annoying cause I'm getting really developed,it comes when i click "end turn" and it when it showed arche seleukeia's symbol i get the ctd. Before i get the temporary ones installed i have a couple of questions:
    1) i read the link you posted me bovi but i still don't understand how to backup..... :( so my question is this: would you please tell me step by step how to do it?
    2)are those fixes below the alexandria one temporary? if so why are they written in smaller caracters?
    3)will the temporary fixes make the single player stutter?
    Thank you all for the help you guys have given me so far.... it really helped :)

Hi sorry for the double post but as i already posted my computer wont let me edit....sory
    So i just noticed that EB1.2 has been released and i have a question i thought that since i was not shure of what i was doing i only downloaded the file and put it into data so i haven't done the backup yet, should i wait for the replies to my previous post or should i download it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Hi to all, after a big stop in this post i am sorry to admit that i have more problems......
    Well let's start by saying that i uninstalled and reinstalled EB hence i have also started new campaigns.
    Let's get to the problems now, i am currently undergoing 3 campaigns: Hayasdan, Baktria, and Rome; before i installed the fixes i wanted to check if i would get still ctd's and surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do.....
    I get some temporary and sporadic ones all the time and they are getting really annoyng,so I used the permanent fixes that bovi posts,and still more crashes( to make shure I did it right i'm gonna say how i did it, i downloaded the files, from another computer,put them on my pen drive and installed'em on my comp. i extracted them and put them in the data folder).I stopped getting the small ctd's for a small while and continued on my romani campaign, and that's where I get a permanent ctd. it's annoying cause I'm getting really developed,it comes when i click "end turn" and it when it showed arche seleukeia's symbol i get the ctd. Before i get the temporary ones installed i have a couple of questions:
    1) i read the link you posted me bovi but i still don't understand how to backup..... :( so my question is this: would you please tell me step by step how to do it?
    2)are those fixes below the alexandria one temporary? if so why are they written in smaller caracters?
    3)will the temporary fixes make the single player stutter?
    Thank you all for the help you guys have given me so far.... it really helped :)
    1) You asked what a backup is, so I pointed you to where you could see what it was. A step by step how to:
    * Open Windows Explorer
    * Navigate to where the file resides
    * Copy the file
    * Paste it somewhere else
    Voila! A backup copy is made. Now if you screw up the file, you can copy back the backup copy.
    2) No, they are optional.
    3) No. I don't see why you think they would.

Go ahead and download EB 1.2. It contains all the relevant fixes. It's not savegame compatible though.
    Last edited by bovi; 11-21-2008 at 23:18.

================
    ================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast