Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Patch info

Actually, not everyone has his (or her) panties in a wad over the patch. Better right than fast. It will arrive in time. Until then, EU2 is great fun.

[This message has been edited by Olaf the Unsure (edited 11-05-2002).]
    I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse.

-Charles V (1553)

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

we can see that the game is at least being patched! to be honest the process has started and i dont believe that us bitching about it will do anything to hurry it! i know people have said it before but, us online guys are a tiny market for activision. they wont say "oh no ******* is spitting his dummy at the org, i know lets work all night instead" all we can do is wait
    We need to be constructive not critical, otherwise we wont have the luxury of the little info we have already, let alone them patching the things that we (MP) think need patching!

Gil can i ask if activision or CA have priorities set by customer satisfaction? if so, then what can we do to change this priority?

K is that right that there 800,000 lines of code? thats near on microsoft word standards

------------------
    previously BarryNoDachi - KenchiBND

Clan Kenchikuka

At least in my case, I'm not angry about the delays in the patch. I understand there are all sorts of hoops to jump through when dealing with a giant like Activision. My primary qualm is with the seemingly non-existant amount of play testing. Almost any amount of play testing would have revealed many of these bugs. A solid week dedicated to playing through campaign would have elucidated them to all sorts of problems. Unfortunetaly it was us who had to find the bugs.

I take it for granted any game I buy will have bugs. Games are intensly complicated and many bugs are unpreventable due to the complexity of the code and the number of system configurations which will be running the software, but when the number of bugs make the game almost (and in some cases completely) unplayable, then the product is damaged. I'm angry because this product was shipped damaged and could have been shipped useable had they simply tested it before it was shipped. I have no place to complain about how long the patch is taking, but I do have a place to complain about the sheer necessity the patch embodies, when it shouldnt.
    Que usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patiencia nostra?

Quote Originally posted by baz:
    Gil can i ask if activision or CA have priorities set by customer satisfaction? if so, then what can we do to change this priority?
    [/QUOTE]

I've no idea about Activision's priorities or how to change them...

Technically CA has very limited public customer satisfaction priorities, as we have no official public interface except for our website, and that's supposed to be a source of information rather than dialogue. As with most games companies, we concentrate on writing the games, and our publishers do everything else. In practice some of us think we can get more direct feedback by monitoring the forums ourselves, and we can be more useful when you have problems if we talk directly (ish) to you.

(Personally, I used to do tech support as well as writing compilers and linkers, and I hugely enjoy helping people and representing for a company - although I'd prefer to be as much in control of the situation now as I was then

Upshot: I amn't sure how much you can influence Activision just now, but serenading them with sweet music might just work, as people here have reported a lack of success with all the obvious approaches.

K is that right that there 800,000 lines of code? thats near on microsoft word standards
    [/QUOTE]

The current stats are 811,916 lines of source across 773 files, totalling just under 23Mb of source. To coin a phrase, we've created a monsta...
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

What are these issues pertaining to gameplay that are at the heart of these discussions between CA and Activision?

And yet we wait for patch

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Kraellin:
    . . . now, the arguement has been made that why not just release each new one of these sub-patches to the public so that the consumer does get some relief from obvious bugs. it's not a bad arguement and does make some sense. however, that means that you then get a multiplayer game where your version of the game is changing every two weeks or so and now, 6 weeks later, there are 4 versions of the game out to try and match up players with. no version will play with the other version in multi, remember? god, i cant tell you how many folks i had to tell in the multi foyer over the years to 'get patched'. "why cant i see any games?", "what does this version mismatch error mean?", "why cant i see any games?", "why cant i join any games?" ....ad nauseum. . . .
    [/QUOTE]

Easy easy solution there Krae. Just make the server auto-update your version when you log on. That way we can all be happy.

But instead we have to wait...
    pooh, I say.

------------------
    Bacchus
    ----
    In the end times, there will be rumors of a patch-- but none shall come. And there shall be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth across the lands. And still no patch shall come. And the poor suckers will start eating their children out of frustrated desperation. And yet-- no patch shall come. Alas the end of days shall be dark and horrible.
    Hunter_Bachus

Senior Member Senior Member Dionysus9's Avatar

My big problem is the # of multiplayer server bugs. I don't know if its CA, Activision, or Gamespy's to blame.

My computer should not crash 1/5 of the time I try to host a game. If a player gets dropped from the game it should not crash 7 other peoples computers.

This is a big problem and it has scared away COUNTLESS interested players.

I'm not mad anymore, I just think its sad that a game with so much potential ran out of steam so early.

------------------
    Bacchus
    ----
    In the end times, there will be rumors of a patch-- but none shall come. And there shall be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth across the lands. And still no patch shall come. And the poor suckers will start eating their children out of frustrated desperation. And yet-- no patch shall come. Alas the end of days shall be dark and horrible.
    Hunter_Bachus

Legitimate Businessman Member Teutonic Knight's Avatar
    My legitimate mansion bought with legitimate monies.

um... this question was answered a while ago on the org just go to the website....it's on the front page......... (stop thread now before it becomes as long as "the myth of the cavalry charge!)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456