Thread: Preview: The Gaza Campaign

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Preview: The Gaza Campaign

PHALANGITAI VIDEO

Low Quality / High Quality / Youtube

THE GAZA CAMPAIGN
    E B I I T u t o r i a l C a m p a i g n
    The year is 313BC and the wars among the Diadochoi are taking their toll on the people of the Eastern Mediterranean. Ambitious generals vie with each other for lordship over the domains of Megas Alexandros and peace is fleeting. Ptolemaios Lagou, an esteemed Strategos and friend to Alexandros, attempts to keep the balance of power spread equally among the Diadochoi, without favouring one man over another. It was he who spirited the body of Megas Alexandros to Alexandreia to be interred so that Perdikkas, the Imperial Regent, could not lay claim to the throne at the expense of the child kings Philippos and Alexandros. In defence of this careful balance he fought Perdikkas on the banks of the Neilos and defeated him in battle, but Ptolemaios refused to accept the title of Regent afterward.

But now a new tyrant has arisen, one Antigonos I Monophthalmos, who threatens to upset the balance of power and throw all of Asia and Greece into turmoil and endless war. This Antigonos had many years earlier incurred the wrath of Perdikkas and had resettled to Makedonia with his son, Demetrios, after losing his seat in Phrygia. There he found favour with Antipatros, Regent of Makedonia, and won influence at the Royal Court. After the death of Perdikkas, Antigonos once again returned to the politics of Asia, having united with the other Strategoi of Alexandros in support of Kassandros against the new Regent of Makedonia, Polyperchon. But his ambitions quickly turned to Asia, and after occupying Babylon, he made attacks on Kypros and Syria, both territories that Ptolemaios considers within his area of influence.

But Ptolemaios Lagou is not alone, for a man with ambitions has many enemies. The other Strategoi, even Kassandros, have joined in an alliance against Antigonos, but it is Ptolemaios who must act. On Kypros the Basileus of Salamis, Nikokles, has been overthrown by rebels backed by Antigonos. Ptolemaios, who has an alliance with Nikokles, has sent his brother, Menelaos, to Kypros where he has also been joined by the fugitive Strategos of Babylon, Seleukos. Together they must win back Salamis and destroy the influence of Antigonos on this island. But Ptolemaios must also be wary of his border with Phoinike and Syria, and so he has sent out his general, Kelles, to the fortress of Pelusion in case of attack from Antigonos or his son, Demetrios.

In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.

CREDITS:
    2D Art: Blank

Historians: abou, keravnos, O'ETAIPOS, paullus, Urnamma

Models: JMRC, Megalos, Prof, Salinoc

Textures: Leif_Eriksson, Martelus Flavius, Megalos, Salinoc

Video Capture: JMRC

Video Edit: Foot

Image Hosting: ImageShack

Video Hosting: Youtube, Rapidshare

Regards,
    The EB Team
    Last edited by Foot; 09-24-2008 at 18:23.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

*faints*

*wakes up*

*faints*

Stunning! Brilliant! Amazing! Beautiful! Awesome! Great! Nice! Neat! Good! Fascinating! Exciting! Cool! Unexpected! Overwhelming!

This Rocks! GO EB TEAM!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Note, the image that is supposed be under the diplomat one doesn´t show for me, just a red X.

Still ******* brilliant!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

There isn't meant to be a picture there. Artifact from an earlier copy of the code.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Note, the description seems to be very biased in Ptolemaios favour.
    Since the EB team would never be unbiased I take it that you will play as Ptolemaios in this tutorial? With Kassandros as an ally of course.

Though seeing as it´s called the The Gaza Campaign perhaps we will simply control Kelles and the provinces near Gaza, not the entire Lagonid empire. In which case it seems unlikely Kassandros will make an actual appearance.

Just how long will this tutorial be? Like 1 year, or like 10? Maybe you´ve eve changed the turns so it takes 10 turns in 1 year or something like that, if it´s possible!
    And I´m guessing there will be quite a bit of scripted stuff, such as Antigonid attacks and stuff.

OH man, oh man, oh man, I´m so exited I can´t hold my selF!
    The Appomination

Oh okay Foot, that is quite alright. I´m just so excited!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!

YEAYAEYAYAEYAYEYEA!!! GO EB"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post

In this tutorial you will be introduced to some of the new game mechanics that will form part of EBII. You will be introduced to how the authority buildings work, and how they affect public order. You will find out what happens to infrastructure buildings when you conquer new settlements, and how to proceed once control has passed to you. You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.

OMG OMGOGMOGMGMGMOGM GOMGOMGG OGMG GOMGG OGMOG GOMG GMG GOGMGM OGMG OGMG OGMG OGMGO OG GOMG GOG G MOGOGMGO GMGO GOGMGMOGMG OGMG GOMGGM OMG OGMG OGGOOG GOMGOGGOMG GOGG GOMGGGO GOGGOG GMG MOG GMOG MO G GOGGMOGOGO OG GO GMOGOGGOGGOGMGMOGG GOMGOMGOMGMOGO OO OMMO GMOGMO GMOGMO GO GMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOG MOG OM GOGOG OMG MOG MOG OGMOGOMGOGM OMG GMO GO MGO OG OG OMG GMO GMO GMOGMO GMO GMO GMOMO MOG OGM GMO GO GMO GO MG MOGO MOGG MOGO G OG OGO GMO GO MGMO GO MG OMG OGOM MOG GMOG OMG MOGO MGMO OGM OGMOGMGO MGO MOG OGM MOOMGOM OMG GMO GO MGO GMO OGMMOG MOGGMO GMO GMOGMO GMO GMO GMO

TO EXCITED TO PUT IN WORDS!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, who is Leif Eriksson? Sounds Swedish. If he his, I might just... send him some flowers though Eniro. Won´t stalk him down or anything. I swear.
    The Appomination

Okay, Eniro (yellow pages) has 2016 Leif Erikssons. Maybe I should just send some flowers to each one, just to make sure.
    Actually, it seems to can send a lot more than just flowers through Eniro. Candy, chocolate, teddybears, etc.
    Oh oh oh, there´s an Love and Romance section!
    The Appomination

Magnificent! Just as I started reading volume one of 'The House of Ptolemy' the team announces this! Many thanks and congratulations to EB team for this as well as all their hard work on EBII

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Yes you will play as Ptolemaios Lagou (though not all his possessions will be included on the map). The tutorial will start in 313 and last a few days. It will be heavily scripted up until the battle of Gaza, after which the player will get a chance to consolidate power in the Levant. More details will be released for a preview of the tutorial.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

HOLY JESUS!!!! THIS IS UNBELIABAEL GREAT!!IAEGOGNIONAINIOFNNAO

Also:

I´ve just watched the video 4 times, and god dammit it is amazing. Obviously there is still some work left to be done (palm tree up close looked paperthin, general still using MTW2 skin) but it was still the greatest thing I have ever seen! EVER!!!

Simply stunning! Amazing! BRilliant! I love you guys!

Q: Will these few days up until the Battle of Gaza be split into several turns? Would be really nice, but really, everything you guys though is freaking nice!
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post

Also, who is Leif Eriksson? Sounds Swedish. If he his, I might just... send him some flowers though Eniro. Won´t stalk him down or anything. I swear.

You serious about that? Leif Eriksson or "Leif den Lykkelige" (Leif the Lucky) was son of Erik the Red who discovered Greenland and he (Leif) went on to colonise N. America, everybody who has read any history should know that

Erik was Norwegian relocated to Iceland (he got outlawed), Leif was Icelander relocated to Greenland with his father as the latter got outlawed on Iceland as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    ZOMFGZ!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! WOW!!!!!
    YES YES YES!!!

WOOT WOOT WOOT!!! FOOT, EB TEAM, YOUR WORK IS GLORIOUS, AND COMPARES IN MAGNIFICENCE TO THAT OF THE SUN ITSELF!!! OMFG!!!!!!

The Norse Leif Eriksson was the son of Erik the Red, and was supposedly one of the first Europeans to set foot in North America, circa 1000 A.D. Attempting to sail to Greenland from Iceland(I think), a storm blew his ship(s) off course, and he eventually reached land somewhere in Northern Canada. After exploring for some time, it is believed he reached modern-day eastern Canada(the exact site is debatable) and named it Vinland after its wild grapes. I can't remember who exactly established the small settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland and Labrador, nor do I remember the exact details. Anyways, they eventually dispersed due to civil strife and vicious skirmishes with the native First Nations, the "Skraelings", of the area.

This is from my memory. I believe this is now generally accepted as being factual. Here's the wikki link: L'Anse aux Meadows
    The one blown off course was Bjarni Herjólfsson, Leif bought his ship and went to explore.
    Last edited by Ludens; 11-07-2009 at 15:15. Reason: merged posts
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

You guys don't mess around anymore.

I take it you looked at my list, and kidnapped the appropriate people?

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

I've tried to download the video, but Windows Media Player only gives sound and no images. I can view videos on WMP, so that is not the problem. Do I need to change some settings to display .avi videos or is it something else?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

You need to download the xvid codec. I suggest getting the KLM codec pack. Fixes you up with practically everything you need.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Announcement: The Gaza Campaign

Thanks for the advice, Foot and I Am Herenow.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

It's a great start. I have some questions and remarks, though.

1. What animations will you add or change? What about finishers and individual fighting style from MTW2? Will you change it to reflect more mass-based clashes for hoplites and legions, and make it a little more individual for Sweboz or Aedui?
    2. Do you consider phalanx animations finished? They look rather stiff, especially the "lifting" animation (since phalangites are constantly changing between stances - it looks terrible...) Also, am I blind or only two rows are fighting, and the rest have their sarissas lifted?
    3. Why do units move so slowly? It's very evident in case of charging units. They look like in slow-motion!
    4. 1:32-1:36 - there is absolutely no sense of mass when the hoplites are fighting. They are standing still!

Skins look nice. MTW2 engine will certainly benefit EB.
    Last edited by Cybvep; 09-30-2008 at 16:23.

2... JMRC may answer, but I think the problems (are mostly) with some XML settings which determine 'bounding... bubbles'. Values probably need to be tweaked somewhat. That '2' rows are fighting, and the rest have everything lifted is correct -- in the sense that indeed the guys are deployed 6 ranks deep.
    3... I'd guess ... Because, actually, that is slow motion? Didn't make the movie, don't own the PC used for recording... so can't know for sure. But yeah I'd say that is slow motion.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep View Post
    It's a great start. I have some questions and remarks, though.

1. What animations will you add or change? What about finishers and individual fighting style from MTW2? Will you change it to reflect more mass-based clashes for hoplites and legions, and make it a little more individual for Sweboz or Aedui?
    There are many animations to add/change: overhand spear cavalry and infantry (WIP), two-hand spear cavalry, slingers, infantry and cavalry archers who draw from the chest (WIP), roman legion fight-style, macedonian phalanx (WIP), archers and javelinmen on elephants. Then, we will change many anims to make them faster or to remove some exagerated moves.

The hoplite and legion anims are being adapted to be more cohesive, but we will leave the sword and spear vanilla anims for the less cohesive units, since the soldiers tend to spread more in those anims.

We will keep the death anims whenever possible.

2. Do you consider phalanx animations finished? They look rather stiff, especially the "lifting" animation (since phalangites are constantly changing between stances - it looks terrible...) Also, am I blind or only two rows are fighting, and the rest have their sarissas lifted?
    No, they are still WIP, since there are many anims to change yet. Keep in mind that only the first 3 ranks would have their spears down, since the press of phalangites would not allow for more, so that part is realistic. If you look closely, you'll see that the 3rd rank starts with the spears down, but the M2TW engine forces them to lift the spears as soon as contact is made. Unfortunately, we cannot change that behavior, but the first 2 ranks do the job well.

3. Why do units move so slowly? It's very evident in case of charging units. They look like in slow-motion!
    This is vanilla behavior. Whenever possible, we will change the anims to add more speed. We already did that to the javelinmen and archers.

4. 1:32-1:36 - there is absolutely no sense of mass when the hoplites are fighting. They are standing still!
    That's also a vanilla behavior, which is augmented due to the units being in guard mode.

Skins look nice. MTW2 engine will certainly benefit EB.
    No doubt about that.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Yeah, it didn't work for me in WMP either - try downloading DivX, that worked for me.

I Am Herenow

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    You will also be introduced to the first of the four socio-political types, the city-state type, and how city-state factions spread their influence and culture into a province through the use of military or trade colonies.
    What are the other three socio-political types? How do military and trade colonies work? How is a city state faction different from other factions?
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

one expects that you'll have to wait to play the tutorials and read the manuals to find out that info.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Henceforth there shall be a new word to describe pure awesomeness distilled into liquid that has then been shaped into a CD to contain data made out of pure genius. This word shall be "Gaza-campaign".
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Henceforth there shall be a new word to describe pure awesomeness distilled into liquid that has then been shaped into a CD to contain data made out of pure genius. This word shall be "Gaza-campaign".
    Ah man, this tutorial is gonna be sooooooo Gaza-campaign!
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

*the entire regiment's front rank keels over in excitement*

thats Wicked!! (sorry I took too long to comment)
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Will the phalangitai be fixed? Having only the first two ranks present pikes is an issue.

Everything else is amazing though.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Epic necro is epic, thanks for getting our hopes up about hte demo release though -.-'
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Epic necro is epic, thanks for getting our hopes up about hte demo release though -.-'
    Gah! I know! I hope your happy for giving me a heart attack!
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

IS IT OUT, IS IT ALREADY OUT? ***!?!?!?! *Reads the posts* Damn....hippies.
    Last edited by Ludens; 11-05-2009 at 21:12. Reason: language
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by -42- View Post
    Will the phalangitai be fixed? Having only the first two ranks present pikes is an issue.

Everything else is amazing though.
    Seeing as you haven't played the game yet, and other than the asethetic point, its a bit premature to talk about "fixing" anything. With regards to how it looks, afaik it is impossible to increase the number of pikes being held horizontal to beyond three ranks (when in guard mode).

Anyway, wait until you actually play the game before you begin talking of "fixing" EBII.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast