Thread: best mod for RTW

Default best mod for RTW

Havent played RTW for ages howver now starting to get twitchy. Whats the best mod. Needs to be vista compatible. Any suggestions

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: best mod for RTW

Many will suggest EB, but I am a staunch Rome: Total Realism fan.

If you dont want a mod that changes that much, maybe SPQR Total War, that is fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Post Re: best mod for RTW

Moved to Mod Discussion

There are essentially two types of mod - the mini mods which tweak the original game, and the big mods which do all the dramatic changing, often resulting in the game being almost unrecognisable.

In the mini-mod category, I'm fond of the vanilla balancing mod. It essentially tweaks the game slightly to create a more realistic and less predictable experience. For example, in the vast majority of games, the Romans always dominate, the Seleucid Empire is collapsing within twenty years and Britannia ends up developing an empire rather quickly.

In the large mod category, EB (Europa Barbarorum) is my personal favourite, although admittedly I haven't played it in at least six months so it may have changed a little since then. The emphasis is on historical accuracy and realism, and adds a new layer of depth to the game.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB! EB!
    *drives the stake with the EB flag into the ground*

RTR is nice, in the sense that it has all of those new units, but some of those units look too much like the old RTW units. Not a single EB unit even closely reminds me of RTW. It's like a whole new game. Not to mention, I enjoy the strat map more than I do the actual battles so the revamped map as well as the best traits system in all of Total War games is just for me. Plus, EB has the liveliest community on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Many will suggest EB, but I am a staunch Rome: Total Realism fan.
    So what is your favorite aspect of RTR/what do you like the most about it? I've always thought EB was the best mod nowadays, since it has been quite a while since RTR was updated. What is the RTR team working on right now? I mean, EB is still alive with v1.2 as well as EB II coming up while RTR seems to be slowing down.

We (the new RTR team) released the RTRVII:The Iberian Conflict mini-mod earlier this year and now are working on RTRVII:Fate of Empires. Check out the previews here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

If you want to play a grand campaign, ExRM (based on RTRPE) is a good one.

Another mod that's under development is Paeninsula Italica. It's in open beta now.
    RTR VII Developer

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfHam View Post
    Another mod that's under development is Paeninsula Italica. It's in open beta now.
    Yeah, I looking forward to that mod very much but in my opinion, it still doesn't have enough units made. Not to mention that I know nothing of its trait system. Still an awesome mod that has great potential, the same which I cannot be say about many of the other mods that I have seen.

What's ExRM? Extended Roman mod?
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 10-01-2008 at 00:48.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, just the fact that I've followed RTR for such a long time, being one of the multiplayer people etc in it. The old RTR forums which are not up anymore were great. AFAIK RTR7 is still being made, so I guess theres that to look forward too.

RTR leaves enough of vanilla in there to make me not wonder what anything is, but changes it enough to make it harder and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Mabey you could try Star Wars total war where instead of haveing more and more melee units in the game theres people with blasters and flamethrowers. It's a Sci Fi mod for rome total war and even has flamethrowers in it. each faction is unique and it's had it's latest public release yesterday. It has the following factions:
    Republic
    CIS
    Empire
    Rebelion
    Hutts
    It's just a game that totally different from rome total war vanillia, although it dosen't have campaigns yet it dose have star wars units for custom battles and a few 'historical' battles from star wars. try it today:
    http://files.filefront.com/SWTW+V005.../fileinfo.html
    Star Wars Total War v0.05B is Out, download is 130.45MB and available at:
    [http://files.filefront.com/SWTW+V005Bzip/;11936290;/fileinfo.html]Filefront[/URL]
    The Forumns for any Info you need are at:
    Mod DB Forumn

Try it Today