Thread: Idea: Completly innacurate mod

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Idea: Completly innacurate mod

So, I've noticed that many people go to great lengths to make mods which are as historically accurate as possible. This is, of course, fine. However, given the proliferation of the 'strict accuracy' school of modding, it seems like the good fantasy/'fun' mods (Like Blue Lotus, Conan Total War) are very much in the minority.
    So, while I personally have no real modding skills besides some writing ability, I do fancy myself something of an ideas man.

The basic premise is thus:
    Depict several empires at the height of their power. Lets say, Rome, Egypt, Persia, Sparta, Athens, that sort of wossname. Give them plenty of good units to mess around with (a couple types of legions for the Romans, skip the Republican stuff. I think everybody's sick of having to go through messing about with hastatii by now :P), chariots and the like. Don't get too much into the fantasy, no dragons or Persian Samurai-Immortals.
    Maybe throw in some barbarian factions, and perhaps, just for fun, some medievalish factions to fill it out. Hell, if there's enough demand for it, throw India in. Maybe Japan and China too, somehow.
    Then we can resolve the eternal 'Samurai vs. Roman Legions' argument ;)

This is, of course, just an idea. Random thoughts strung together in post form. Feel free to comment, criticize, or whatever.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Default Re: Idea: Completly innacurate mod

how about "Mod Wars: Total War"

We take the Seleucids from EB, A faction from Blue Lotus(never played it) , Another factions from Conan, Romans from RTR.... etc, etc.. and put them all on a campaign map. This way we get a massive cool mod which wouldnt take long to develop because all the stuff is already done and only needs organised onto a campaign!

I'm just an ideas man aswell :P

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Mod vs. mod, I like it :P
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Magistrate of Pirkka Member Sebastian Seth's Avatar

I've been having similar toughts...

For me;

MTW2 suffers from too many similar kind of factions. It would be more fun to play if the factions would have more differences.

Roman Legionares, Sarmatian Heavy Archers, Sarmatian Virgin Cavarly, Norvegian Vikings, Warrior Monks, Persian Elephants, African Tribal Warriors, Greek Phalanx, French Knights...

If I would be able to make this I would:

Make new world map.
    (Mayby take some characteristics of each cultures area but make it smaller.)
    Combine similar type of factions.
    (1-2 feodal european, 1-2 persian, 1 ancient roman, 1 ancient greek, 1 ancient egyptian, 1-2 african, 1 moor /african desert) , 1-2 tribal african, 1-2 indian, 1 mongolian, 1-2 feodal japanize, 1 north american, 1 central/south american, 1 russian, 1-2 skandinavian, 1 celtic, 1-2 steppe.)
    Make every culture to have different fighting style.
    (romans relying on their legions, steppes relying on cavarly, egyptians relying on african merceneries, greek relying on phalanz, japanize relying on sword monks...)
    Make recruiting culture/place dependant
    (No chivalric knights from japan, No warrior monks from christian provinces, No pagan bercerkers from islamic provinces... Later when religion and culture is build then possible but not before.)

And you could go even futher on fantasy:

Seperate egypt to two factions... other leaning on greeks and other on africans. (Different units)
    Combining factions like celts and romans and make mixed factions of them. (Combinated units)

Forgotten Realms serie is pretty much a fantacy settings for books and games... This would pretty much be same but whitout the magic and dragons...

Just a wild idea tought...
    Humans very easy to make and very hard to understand. - SS

Interesting you should mention this. Having done some serious realistic-combat modding, I have considered venturing into the area of creating a new faction. I decided just a few short weeks ago that the new faction would be: Imperial Japan. Being that Japan was constantly weighed down by infighting, I was going to throw in a storyline; some powerful lord managed to conquer and reign-in the other provinces, etc. Mongol-style, he decides to conquer the west, and thus: Imperial Japan in Europe.

Want me to post the mod when it is completed so that you can thief away my precious Buke/Bushi soldiers and use them for your Polyglot Mod? The primary units for Japan thus far:
    -Ashigaru (conscripts)
    -Yari Ashigaru (spearmen conscripts)
    -Yari Buke (spearwielding samurai)
    -Yumi Buke (samurai longbowmen)
    -Samurai
    -Mounted Buke (mounted samurai with longbow and sword)
    -Imperial Lancer (light cavalry armed with a long spear)
    -General's Bodyguard
    -Onne Bugei-Sha (light female infantry armed with naginata)

I will be researching the Japanese to create a completely accurate faction, which you can then implement in a very innaccurate conglomeration-mod.