Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert of Europe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Concert of Europe

could someone make a map of this? I would but I don't know all the territories and what people own, It's so much easier to follow because presently I don't even know what I own.

Roughly this, although the Austrians have most of Italy now IIRC.

http://maps.unomaha.edu/Peterson/fun...e1815_1905.jpg
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 04-11-2009 at 22:53.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Blog Entries

Thank you, and who owns Switzerland?

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Mercury View Post
    Thank you, and who owns Switzerland?
    On the Vienna Congress there has been an agreement on the issue of Swiss neutrality.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    Roughly this, although the Austrians have most of Italy now IIRC.
    Not entirely true. The Austrian and the Sardinian army are there to secure the power of the Pope and the Princes and Kings of Italy. It is right Italy takes a very important part of the Austrian policy but conquest of Italian peninsula is not what Austria plans.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-12-2009 at 09:17.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Austria and Prussia have agreed on a defensive pact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
    Austria and Prussia have agreed on a defensive pact.
    Pact confirmed. I hope it will bring stability and proseprity to Central Europe.

Signed,

Prince Klemens von Metternich, Chancellor of Austria
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-16-2009 at 07:28.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Sorry guys - computer problems - I will be late with my moves - probably next monday when I get to work
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Blog Entries

In relations with the recent unfortunate events, I will keep my role as Metternich despite the absence of Warman. The only real change is that I will play solo until he is back (which will not happen until the end of the year, unfortunately).
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Sorry to see Warman go. Good luck SA.

Blog Entries

Indeed, a shame & a miscarriage of justice.

Good luck SA

Blog Entries

The Austrian Empire and Kingdom of France announce a defensive alliance.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-16-2009 at 07:28.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I am still waiting for

England
    France
    The Netherlands
    Russia

Guys, please tell me if you do not want to play any longer. Than I will reduce the number of players or finish the game!

I really enjoy this IH so I hope it continues. Please send your orders in guys.

Computer problems/ real lfe nearly sorted - should get my orders in on Monday - sorry about the delay
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Still waiting for

ENGLAND
    FRANCE
    RUSSIA

I am going to wait until end of this week!

Kurt, how is your PC doing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Still waiting for

ENGLAND
    FRANCE
    RUSSIA

I am going to wait until end of this week!

Kurt, how is your PC doing?
    You shouldn't have to but try pestering for them.

Sorry everyone, I've been swamped recently, I'll try to get my orders in soon.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Posted my orders yesterday.

It seems strange without Warman - he was always there like a little excited dog yapping at your heels chasing you for your orders, posting every five minutes so you had to keep checking the thread in case something had happened. It was slightly annoying when he was here, but in a strange way I miss him now he is gone.

Blog Entries

Any news from Russia and France?
    R.I.P. Tosa...

No.
    I will start to do my part. Hope I hear from then soon! (sigh!)

Still no news from Russia or France.

Anyway, it will take a while to update.

Didn't the Russians arrive a week late at Austerliz because they were on a different calender???

France has exchanged PMs with me about this move - odd he has disappeared. I suggest that you carry out hteir moves according to their national sterotypes - so the French will shrug their shoulders a lot, have a nice meal and chase somebodies wife, while the Russian will spend a lot of time on the steppes contemplating a wheat field - see - you don't really need their orders!!

Blog Entries

I hope people don't have such foul attendance when me and Jolt finally run the reconquesta

Will get my orders in tommarow (friday us) if thats okay with you Franc. Otherwise feel free to put Russia into autopiolt for a turn.
    -Stephen Crane

Will get my orders in tommarow (friday us) if thats okay with you Franc. Otherwise feel free to put Russia into autopiolt for a turn.
    Alright! I am curious!!

I am writing, but have only little time.

By the way, Russia is still missing!

Chapter 7 – June 1821 to May 1822

Hannover

This period, several things happen that are suited to attract interest of the public or even to lead to another eruption of the public emotions. There is the Greek fight for freedom; the English trouble on the islands as well as at the former colonies; there is also the discussion about the future of Italy and the question, who will be the leader of the German countries. However, no other issue attracts the attention and leads to controversial discussions in the media and parliaments as the conflict about the future of Hannover.

The starting situation did not seem to be able to give birth to a problem able to shake the European order. In the beginning there was the difference in the succession rules in the U.K. and Hannover. Unlike to the English, the rule over Hannover can only be passed to a male heir. Therefore, if George, King of the United Kingdom and Prince of Hannover, dies without a male heir, the English crown would go to a heiress, while the throne of Hannover would over to another branch of the Hannover family, or more concrete, to Ernst August, son of George III.

Trouble began, when King George IV tried to break these traditional rules and make his own arrangements to fix the bonds between his two realms even for the time after his death. Therefore he announced to make the people of Hannover vote on their future, especially on becoming part of the United Kingdom – and to pass by his brother Ernst August.

This, however, created some very drastic reactions and finally endangered the whole construction of Germany. Of course, the designated heir of Hannover was not pleased that he should be disclosed from the succession of the throne. He found supporters, though, esp. among the princes of the small German countries, which watch suspiciously everything that could tough their traditional rights – as the traditional rights are their only source of power. What upset them maybe even more then the planned violation of rights was the idea that subjects should decide about their future, a truly heretic idea, similar to the ideas of the unholy French revolution.
    They found allies in the German intellectuals, being nationalistic, were not willing to accept that German provinces should become part of a foreign kingdom.

All this happened while the German countries were working on a new balance of power and Austria and Prussia were jealously watching each other.

The German Confederation decided to send agents to Hannover, but George refused to let them in. Furthermore, England made an alliance with the Netherlands and sent an army to Hannover. War seemed to be inevitable and a diplomatic competition began for the support of France and Russia.

Then, unforeseen things took place. Right into the preparation for a military competition, incredible news appeared and changed the situation fundamentally: England and Prussia made an agreement about the future of Hannover. England gave up all her claims on the country and Hannover was supposed to become a Prussian province. News was spread throughout the Germans countries and all princes as well as the public were taken by surprise. More details followed during the next days. Papers reported that London and Berlin had signed a military pact against Austria, they report of a bilateral agreement of free trade. Rumor was spread telling that the Prussian King Friedrich Willhelm would succeed George as King of the United Kingdom and rule both countries as a personal union.

As soon as the first shock calmed down, people tried to understand what had happened and what the consequences would be. German nationalists welcomed the agreement and the wise diplomacy of the Prussian ruler. They even called for further steps, for a German nation under the leadership of the Prussian King.
    Of course, not everyone was pleased by this development. First of all the legitimate heir of the Hannover throne protested against the agreement, as neither England nor Prussia had the right for such a decision. Of course, Ernst August was supported by the princes of the small German countries, which saw this pact as a dangerous threat for their own claims. They called all German nations for a conference to Frankfurt. They accused Prussia for violating the treaty of Vienna. They argue, that it was agreed that all issues related with German countries should only be treated in agreement with the Confederation. Furthermore, they protest against the trade agreement between Prussia and England, as this is obviously against the customs agreement of the German Confederation. This last point gives them many supporters as trade, industry and simple workers fear the competition with the fabricated English goods.

It was obviously that the new friendship between London and Berlin was proposed to build compensation to the growing power of the Danube monarchy. As England and Prussia both had strong bonds to the Netherlands, these three formed a powerful military and economic alliance. Still there had not been any reaction from Austria, but it seems to be certain that the government of the Kaiser will not be pleased about the news in the papers. Also not about the latest reports that Berlin is widening the strength of the Prussian army and increasing the potential and importance of the Prussian General Staff.

Also, there had not been any reaction from Russia or France. Obviously, these two grand nation had not been consulted before – a clear violation of the agreements of Vienna, where the grand nations had agreed to solve all problems in accordance with each other.

Prussia

Besides these diplomatic actions and the efforts to increase the strength of the Prussian army, Berlin tried to accelerate the growth of the industrial production, especially with reduced taxes for investors. The trade with the Netherlands was getting stronger, also the production of steam engines and mining equipment. Share rates grew rapidly, especially the rates of the Prussian Dutch trade company, which grew over 120%. New shares were released.

Austria

The Austrian government extended the tax for the upkeep of the Austrian troops and protective tariffs to all of Italy (not only Tuscany and Rome but also Naples esp. the regions where the Austrian army is located). Metternich invited all princes of Italy to a conference at Venice to discuss the future of the Italy next summer. Austria announced her plans to pull out hr soldiers from the Italian peninsula but a solid foundation shall be built. The Austrian ideas were a free trade agreement between the countries in Italy, higher tariffs for the British industrious goods and once per year a Great Council of Italy shall be held. However, it is unclear how Austria will have a free trade zone between Italy and Austria and still wants to keep the tariffs on foreign imports into the German trade and customs union. The important issues on the economy and the political situation of Italy shall be discussed. Austria also suggested leaving the forces in Italy no longer than 1831. If the situation is calm, they could even leave sooner.

There were many rumors about Kaiser Franz. He left Vienna in autumn and did not show himself in public since. Some report that he suffered some mental disease.

Austria is also spending more money for her army and is going to increase the number of regiments.

The Netherlands

The Netherlands were fine, especially Amsterdam and the northern part of the kingdom. The Dutch believed that the Hannover conflict was solved and that the risk of another war passed by. The trade agreement with the British and the Prussian boosted economic development and trade with Russia was good, too. The industrial production raised and Dutch engines were almost as good as the English. The new Dutch-Prussian Far East Company, based at Amsterdam, invested a lot of money in ships, equipment and goods. These days, everybody could make money at the Dutch capitol.

The Dutch king, being very interested in geography, fostered private initiatives to explore new countries. He also invested money in the infrastructure of the Southeast Asian base Singapore. This port turned from a poor one-horse (or better said one-boat) town into a prospering market place, where traders from all over the world find good opportunities.

The drawback of the economical wealth is that the government can hardly find people willing to settle in the Dutch colonies. Only some hundreds from the poorer south are willing to leave their homes.

England

After the agreement with Prussia, England ordered the troops back home. Additionally, the cabinet ordered to draft new recruits.

However, the protests of workers near London were getting louder and King George was no longer able to defend his Prime minister. The Hannover deal was his last triumph, and then Lord Liverpool had to leave the job to Lord Canning. The new Prime had the reputation to b more liberal, especially to the catholic.

The change of the political leaderships calms down the situation at London. Most of the demonstrating workers returned home, promising to come back, if Canning should make the same false policy. In the end, only 3,000 stayed and continued to protest against the government of King George.

In winter, the first troop from the continent arrived and George watched them parade through London. On December 12th, forces of the Royal Army encircled the camp of the protesters. The workers found themselves surrounded by several thousand soldiers – infantry, cavalry and artillery. Their leaders try to negotiate, but the agents were arrested immediately. At 10 o’clock the guns started to fire shrapnel into the crowed of anxious workers. The workers, several thousands, men, women and even children, try to break through but their flight was stopped by the bayonets of the English infantry. When the slaughter was over, more than two thousand bloody bodies lay on the winter ground.

This was the end of the rebellion at England and Canning immediately used the soldiers to send reinforcements to other endangered places. 10,000 soldiers were shipped to Ireland to reinstall the English rule there.

Another 25,000 went on board of the main fleet, which set sail to America, where it arrived at April. The English regiments landed at the shores of Baltimore. Supported by the bombardment of the fleet, the English quickly managed to break the resistance of the U.S. defenders and seized the town. Then, they started marching towards the U.S. capitol, but the advance was slowed down. This had three reasons. First, the Americans quickly gathered troops and blocked the English approach in well prepared forts. Additionally, there the English had continuously fight small guerilla attacks in their rear, even at Baltimore itself. One day in May, a British frigate catches fire in the harbor of Baltimore. While the sailors were trying to fight the fire, the powder chamber explodes, the ship sinks and another one, anchored next to it, was lost too. The last reason was supply. Although the English rule the sea, Canada is not able to send enough food and ammo for such a big army.

At least the British expedition forces are spared from raids of the U.S. Navy. Although it had been enforced during the last years and sunk many English traders during the last months, there is no sight of an American frigate of ship-of-the-line. End of May the mystery is disguised when news about sunken ships from east of the Caribbean and west of Gibraltar reached London.

The war with the U.S. hindered the trade with English goods. Additionally now and then there was bad news from the Far East. Pirates took advantage of the absence of English man of wars and raided English merchants. Even worse was the fact that the new Chinese emperor forbade the trade with opium and confiscated all goods from English traders.

Only good news in these bad times was the agreement with Prussia and the hope, that English goods could be exported freely again.

France

The country was still fighting against lethargy. The defeat in the Napoleonic Wars broke the strength of this once proud country and the period of unrest only destroyed more lands. Reconstruction was slowly and people wished they had a more active ruler, just like the one they had before.

The French King is slowly modifying the election reform to give more weight to the rich ones. He also proclaimed a policy of strength and national pride, but his followers were waiting for his deeds in vain.

It seemed as if France was not included into the discussions about Hannover and so the king was obviously taken by surprise by the final agreement between his two neighbors.

At least, the government finally started to rebuild the harbor of Marseille, while La Rochelle is still a hill of debris.

To develop the economy France opened her markets to English goods.

Italy

The King of Sardinia and Duke of Savoy, Piedmont and Aosta opened the ports of his realms for English trader. He also invested 3 million talers to build new ships to increase the Royal Navy. Besides that, the King stayed passive, obviously glad to be left alone and being an Austrian puppet.
    Although the police had strict orders to suppress nationalistic and democratic activities, the support of the citizens for the Italian patriots becomes more and more evident.

Russia

During the Great Wars and the Congress of Vienna, Czar Alexander demonstrated the Russian claims to be a leading European power. Now, in times of peace, he did not seem to pursue this goal any longer.
    Some infrastructure project supported by Dutch engineers made good progress, but in most areas the orders were executed careless. Although the land workers were freed several years ago, most of them still did not know it. And those who knew, were forced to pay for the land, they used to work on by the landowners. After all, their situation was even worse than before.

The upper class was becoming more and more unsatisfied. While science and industry was booming at Western Europe, Russia still stuck in Medieval.

I will give you a report abaout the situation of Greece as well as the numbers and tasks asap!

Good read. Glad to see an update.

Once again England shows that one should always expect the unexpected!!!

Rule Britannia!!!!!!!!

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast