Poll: Which nation do YOU want to play as most?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who do you want to play as?

Default Re: Who do you want to play as?

Ok now I get why people isn't so eager for Denmark, I just realised E:TW isn't from the 1600's to the 1800's, but 1700's to the 1800's :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spookybear View Post
    Ok now I get why people isn't so eager for Denmark, I just realised E:TW isn't from the 1600's to the 1800's, but 1700's to the 1800's :P
    In the 1600s it would be more interesting playing Denmark. It was during this time the Swedes rose to become the most powerful Scandinavian country, and Denmark put up a lot of resistance and was just as powerful at times.

I would like to play as:
    -France(the best balanced faction land/naval)
    -Holland(rulez the oceans of the world)
    -Spain(reform and defend my large empire)
    -Prussia(far the best land troops, an generals)
    -UK(far to strong, but I am fun of Master&Commander of Patrick O´Brian)
    Alea iacta est

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinxit View Post
    Most Danes dont even know about that, but sure. And no, I see no real point of including Denmark-Norway in this era. They werent particular powerful.
    Really? Bah. I had been under the impression that it was viewed by the Danes as sort of like the British burning down DC for Americans.
    Guess that's what I get for trusting a Norwegian :P

Quote Originally Posted by RexCroatorum View Post
    I would like to play as:
    -France(the best balanced faction land/naval)
    -Holland(rulez the oceans of the world)
    -Spain(reform and defend my large empire)
    -Prussia(far the best land troops, an generals)
    -UK(far to strong, but I am fun of Master&Commander of Patrick O´Brian)
    The UK's dominance was hardly secure by this point. Spain was actually still quite a power by 1700. Contrary to popular opinion, the defeat of the Armada was not the downfall of Spain.
    If I recall aright, the 'peak' of the Spanish Empire is generally regarded to be around 1712, and its territorial extent was greatest in the 1790's.

And I personally dispute that 'best troops and generals' remark. Suvorov would've kicked Napoleon's Corsican butt if he hadn't died just before Russia got involved.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    Really? Bah. I had been under the impression that it was viewed by the Danes as sort of like the British burning down DC for Americans.
    Guess that's what I get for trusting a Norwegian :P
    Did the brittish really burn down DC? I was under the impression that was a myth or propaganda.

Oh, I was merely pointing out the fact that most people have no clue about their own history. For an example: very few in Sweden seem to know what the battle at Poltava is and when it took place and between which nations. And if that is bad, I can bet you a lot of money on that no one will have even have heard about the battle of Narva. It could be my fellow Swedish friends who are ignorant, or the fact that most people in this modern century seem to ignore all history but the history pictured in movies with a lot of action. And we all know how accurate movies are when dealing with history

The Norwegians? They are very thrustworthy! At least according to most of Swedish movies. The Danes on the other hand is portrayed as the devils in most of Swedens movies based on history.
    An example is the Swedish movie "Arn: Riket vid vägens slut" which does to the Danes as Hollywood does to Arabs and Russians. Portrays them as devils. The Norwegians on the other hand is portrayed very friendly.

If I ever see a truly neutral movie about a historical event I will cry tears of joy.
    Last edited by Pinxit; 12-13-2008 at 15:27. Reason: Removed potential nation-bashing comment(s).

Member Member General SupaCrunk's Avatar

My mind is changed i will as Poland-Lithuania!

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    Denmark might not get a playable slot. I mean, as far as I know their only major contribution in the era was getting their fleet blown up by the British during the Napoleonic Wars, in order to keep the Frenchies from getting their hands on the feared Danish navy. :P
    I'm quite sure Marlborough loved his Danish cavalry at Ramillies

But yes apart from the early wars Denmark-Norway stayed out of the other conflicts apart from a crazy Russian Czar who was close at declaring war near the end of the SYW.

The 18th century saw a reduction in importance of most of the medium sized powers: Netherlands, Sweden, Saxony, Bavaria etc. Poland became a political non-entity that others just marched through and Spain (although still a strong power) was burned out already by mid 17th century. But all that doesn't stop several of these countries from being playable in ETW.

Something which, I gather, has led to the Danes resenting the British even to this day.
    Hm wouldn't say that. We are much more busy resenting Germans

Now I'm sure lots of Danes don't know their history but both 1801 and 1807 are rather big events that was part of the history books when I was in school. And both had an official bicentenary commemoration with the British returning a ship’s bell from one of the ships taken in 1807 and the 2001 events involved warships from all three nations.

CBR

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

I'll probably play as either:

The UK (Im from there)
    Switzerland (I like Switzerland)
    Austria (I like Austria also)

I have no idea which one first, and i'll probably have played every faction within the first hour, to try and find the one thats ok for me.
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Quote Originally Posted by Insane834 View Post
    I'll probably play as either:

The UK (Im from there)
    Switzerland (I like Switzerland)
    Austria (I like Austria also)

I have no idea which one first, and i'll probably have played every faction within the first hour, to try and find the one thats ok for me.
    I consider that to be a major spoiler to the game. I want to know nothing about the other factions in my first round. More of a mystery that way. Much like a
    Seriously though, I want every round to feel like a new experience, and playing all factions simultanuosly isnt the way to go. Even if it is just a sneak peak.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

Yes, but it puts me off a game if I can't get the feel of it, if i can find a campaign that suits me I will be content and I will eventually play even more to test and challange myself.
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Where is Poland-Lithuania? :@

1. Jacobite rebels: I like the Celtic cultures in Ireland and Scotland and I like plaid or kilt wearing men (who formed a great part of the Jacobite troops, at least in 1745/46).

in the unlikely event the Jacobites were not playable:

2. UK: from 1714 on the UK formed a small part of the mighty Electorate of Hanover, so I have some sympathy

3. Prussia: the suckers conquered us in 1866 but despite all of his many faults I like Friedrich II./Frederic II. a little bit and will try to do my best to make the country a major power against all odds.
    Last edited by geala; 12-18-2008 at 10:07.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by GSC View Post
    Where is Poland-Lithuania? :@
    Hmm. I hadn't realized til now that it wasn't in the poll. Let me go add it....

EDIT: Fixed.
    Last edited by Martok; 12-18-2008 at 18:45.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Well being english i'd be tempted to go with them but i do actually consider the entire baltics quite an interesting part of the world during this era. The Swedish should of won that conflict and it would of been interesting to see how the world developed afterwards had they done so.

Looking forward to the game that is for sure.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Poor Poland and Lithuania, doomed to poor polling performance by a tiny oversight. The worst bit is no even noticed for weeks

Hopefully the same things won't happen to them during the game. I can just picture them as a tiny, pathetic force sitting in eastern europe and getting ignored/invaded by giants like Russia and Prussia. Which would be unfair and innacurate.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Wtf?! Poland-Lithuania is huge! Read history before posting, Prussia is tiny to Poland-Lithuania. Btw P-L would crush Prussia!

Tiny?^^^^^^

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I never said that Poland-Lithuania were tiny geographically, I said they were a tiny force, meaning purely military and political influence. I also never said that was historically true hence me saying 'which would be unfair and innacurate.'

I was merely refering to the fact that Martok forgot to add them to the poll and the fact no one even noticed might indicate everyone playing the game just sort of forgets about them and ignores them as a faction.

I assure you I do 'read history' and I am well aware what Poland-Lithuania was like at the time. And I am afraid they probably couldn't crush Prussia, the size of a country has nothing to do with its military might. Just look at Great Britain compared to the size of its empire :P
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 12-20-2008 at 23:52.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by GSC View Post
    Wtf?! Poland-Lithuania is huge! Read history before posting, Prussia is tiny to Poland-Lithuania. Btw P-L would crush Prussia!

Tiny?^^^^^^

This map is better since the game starts 1700, not 1648.

Exclamation Re: Who do you want to play as?

It is of no consequence. I'll crush them all the same.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Definately Great Britain first, and for a few reasons.

1) I`m British :)

2) Aside from MP campaign the main feature I`ve been waiting for in total war is naval battles and I think playing as the British will offer the best experience for this.

3) Redcoats look cool!

After I`m done with my home nation I`ll probably try the harder/smaller factions. I like the game to be as challenging as possible.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345