Thread: Minor improvements

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Default Minor improvements

Hello everybody! Since I'd likem to participate on the developpement of EB II, I thought about what changes I'd like to have already in EBI. Of course there are only a few things, so I'd like to dedicade this thread to all the little ideas you have to make the game feeling a bit better.
    Its quite posible, that many changes are already decided by the team.

+ Other Skins for Spies, Agents & Diplo (and if they will be used the priests an merchants Of course)*
    They still look a bit fantasy- and vanilla-like.
    Is it possible to merge some of these agent types? Because I think an assassin could also snoop
    around a bit, while a good merchant could be a decent diplomat aswell. (And to speak of M2TW, in medieval times, priest sometimes went out for diplomatic missions)

+ Capitals Start almost fully developped. AFAIK Most of the factions were actually able to recruit Elite troops at 272 BC, or did Alex conquer persia with peasants?
    Fortunatly, with the M2TW engine, you can avoid the AI and the player to recruit elite troops inflationary.

Sorry for grammar and/or spelling.

Roman

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Default Re: Minor improvements

We cannot mod the abilities of agents. That means assassins can't anything but the job they do in MTW2. We will of course change the models and skins of these agents. You can expect to see a bit more work in this area than seen in EBI.

With more control over recruitment we'll be able to better control the spamming of elites (a problem we didn't want see happening in EBI). However with the new building system in EBII, we can better represent the differing levels of development across the map, while still allowing cities to be developed by the player. Rome in 14AD was drastically different from Rome in 272BC, so having Rome at the peak of its development in 272BC would be an awful state of affairs.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Thank you. Good news!
    And thanks for your good work an this board.

Roman
    Last edited by ziegenpeter; 10-20-2008 at 18:46. Reason: Orthography

- Another wise man

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    We cannot mod the abilities of agents. That means assassins can't anything but the job they do in MTW2. We will of course change the models and skins of these agents. You can expect to see a bit more work in this area than seen in EBI.

With more control over recruitment we'll be able to better control the spamming of elites (a problem we didn't want see happening in EBI). However with the new building system in EBII, we can better represent the differing levels of development across the map, while still allowing cities to be developed by the player. Rome in 14AD was drastically different from Rome in 272BC, so having Rome at the peak of its development in 272BC would be an awful state of affairs.

Foot
    but what bout Athens? Alexandria? Pella? Seleukeia? Karhidon?
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Be assured that our historians will deal with each province separately and as a whole, so that each province will be given the care and attention it needs while also taking into account the full system spanning the whole EBII map and faction list. Rome was an example, not a be all and end all.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by hellenes View Post
    but what bout Athens? Alexandria? Pella? Seleukeia? Karhidon?
    I think Macedonia still was in quite some disorder after the celtic invasion, and with Pyrrhos running rampant in the countryside, which could be well represented by having Pella not too well developed.

And what is Karhidon? Is that Karchedon, as in Carthage?

Ah, yes another thing:

+ The ringing bells when the message of a marriage celebration appears. Please switch them off or replace them

- Another wise man

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Why? I think it would really help if you gave a reason why.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Well, ringing bells in marriage ceremonies is as far as I know a predominantly christian tradition. Having that in a game depicting a non-christian era would be quite odd, don't you think :)
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma View Post
    Well, ringing bells in marriage ceremonies is as far as I know a predominantly christian tradition. Having that in a game depicting a non-christian era would be quite odd, don't you think :)
    You've just collected one coconut.

- Another wise man

*insert random finding sound here*
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thumbs up Re: Minor improvements

Hey, ziegen, a quick note, my friend: I do not mean to offend you in any way whatsoever, but it would be great if you tried to sound less demanding and self-centered(as if you're opinion meant everything). The points you offered were great and all, but this "bossy" attitude can give people the wrong impressions.

PS: Perhaps you weren't bossy at all, but it's difficult to read emotions and such through a block of text on an internet forum.

Btw, I wonder what's going to happen to all those little in-game videos. Deleted, I bet?
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 10-22-2008 at 05:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Hey, ziegen, a quick note, my friend: I do not mean to offend you in any way whatsoever, but it would be great if you tried to sound less demanding and self-centered(as if you're opinion meant everything). The points you offered were great and all, but this "bossy" attitude can give people the wrong impressions.
    Thank you for your honest opinion. Sounding "bossy" and demanding was the last I intended. I invite everyone to write down their own little ideas for improvements here. As for the team, I think they never read these lists like "demands" but like helpful "brainstorming" tool.

BTT:
    Is it possible that, if someone dies, his sons have the chance to get some of their fathers retinue?

- Another wise man

Is it possible that, if someone dies, his sons have the chance to get some of their fathers retinue?
    I don't think so, sorry.

Yeah, there are a lot of minor improvents that could be done for EB2, but on the moment, it's much better to just focus on having a running beta. I mean, these topics are here way too early, and it's not a bad thing to think about such stuff, it's just a bit...early.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I don't think so, sorry.
    Hmm, I just thought... because you can get traits which your ancestors have - (not) like his father f.e.-
    it would probably work for the retinue triggered by the death of the FM.

Anyway - Ok then lets stop here, maybe there've been some ideas for the team to use more will certanly come

- Another wise man

Hmm, I just thought... because you can get traits which your ancestors have - (not) like his father f.e.-
    I'm pretty sure this is just decided using a small script to check what kind of guy the father is using the intelligence, charisma and vitality traits (Sharp/Dull Charismatic/Uncharismatic Vigorous/Languorous) and comparing those with the traits the child has.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

well i know that in lotr the new shadow certain ancillaries where solely there for the faction leader so i think it is possible for certain things like a royal counselor to go over from the king to the heir if the heir hadn't already reached his limits of ancillaries

Yeah, but that could not be seen as the ancillary magically swapping from person to person when the one dies. It just happens that the faction heir (that becomes the Faction Leader) will get a new royal counselor.

It would certainly be possible to make certain ancillaries inheritable, as in one of his sons could get it (I think it would be hard to make sure a specific one got it), at the cost of a bit of code bloat. We also came up with a concept of having conquerable ancillaries (for items) but decided not to make that in EB1.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

But in EBII....?
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Every rulling house have have it own 'secret police' for luck of better word. As I understand EB2 is based on Kingdoms so I guess there is ability to establish such kind of organization to development tree of every faction except for nomads like Saka (I don't know if they follow such rules). Tbh I belive it is a must for every hellenic influenced kingdom and SPQR. Agents and assassins should be recruted only via such 'police' not markets like merchants.
    Pro Deo et Patria