Thread: Leaving a Legacy for your descendants

Default Leaving a Legacy for your descendants

In old feudal societies, the leaders of clans/houses/royal families often penned house rules, or family guides, or legacies to pass on to heirs and grandchildren with their insights, philosophies and outlook on the world, people, governing, values, religion, etc.

They were often practical documents. "Don't let the family form factions." "Do not name an illegitimate child heir if you have legitimate children." "When forced to choose, anger the church before you anger the people." "Do not issue a special tax during a famine." That sort of business. They're interesting to read because they give you insight into how the educated ruler class felt about issues of the day-- it's interesting to read one of these from 500 years ago and realize, for instance, that some of them really didn't believe in religion, and just saw it as a political tool. I know that when I was younger I just had the impression that people in the past were all religious and all believed it, just as an example.

None of us are world leaders or ruling monarchs, obviously, but limiting it to bits of wisdom you live by, good pieces of advice you give, your worldview, your values, what would be your legacy to those who come after you?

I don't want to set a lot of conditions on it... but let me just make one, because most of the legacies I read were in this style. Try to keep each point/thought to a single sentence. Succinct and to the point. ;)

Example: "Never kiss and tell."

I may do mine in video/youtube format and link it. But would be very interested in seeing all of yours.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Re: Leaving a Legacy for your descendants

Well, aside from a family motto, I think the most useful piece of advice handed down by my ancestors has been:

Never upset a French peasant in possession of an ideology and a big razor.

Interestingly, this is advice embedded in my wife's family too, with a small variation:

Never upset a Russian peasant in possession of an ideology and a machine gun.

Of course, the corollary to the Peasant Doctrine is:

Upset English peasants all one likes, for they don't have ideologies or guns.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

It's better to be feared than loved. Don't hire mercenaries. And if you conquer a town, you should demolish it or be ruined yourself.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Here are two numbered letters.....open the first when things are looking really bad.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I'm going to leave my ancestors a complicated treasure map with confusing clues that eventually leads to a giant chest filled with twinkies and maple syrup.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

1. Dont Die
    2. No fat chicks.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

All through painful experience:

• Don't do it if you can't handle the morning after.
    • Think words through before speaking them.
    • A grudge can always be overcome.
    • Laugh as much as possible.
    • Weed before beer you're in the clear, beer before grass you're on your ass.
    Last edited by naut; 10-26-2008 at 18:03.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Finland is Sweden's red headed step child.

HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yes, I blatantly copied that from Kukri's signature, because it's so nice.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

"Its never too late."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

It is always interesting. Doubting Thomasism has been a constant thing since people had the ability to doubt. Most people recognize that religion is a man-made concept to help people join with their community and tradition in order to make a special commitment to God - but like all man-made tools it can get in the way at times. This doesn't mean throw it away or make a new one, but recognize when it is time to walk outside of the line for a bit - you don't need to re-draw the lines.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Always love. Always hope. Never, ever give up.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

I've I had all the money I spent on drink; I'd spend it on drink.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Have fun and don't hurt anyone.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

I’m not sure if it is the advice I would pass on but when I told my pappy that I was moving to the big city he told me “Watch out for the blacks”.

I think it is neat to see, over time, how a culture has changed. What was acceptable/appropriate 500 or just 20 years ago is laughable now.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Life meaning are dreams. Those dreams will keep you going all your life. Never let them die.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Enjoy every second
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Friendly fire isn't.

There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken