Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious question about a hated subject - Lorica Segmentata

Default Serious question about a hated subject - Lorica Segmentata

With EB II having variable skins for units, will LS be a possible skin for Marian and Imperial Roman legions, even if it isn't common?

Default Re: Serious question about a hated subject - Lorica Segmentata

No. We have answered this question several times already. Do a search.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

I think it even says so in the FAQ.

But seriously Foot, are you sure it isn´t possible to set up a huge flashing banner saying "No LS in EB!" that shows everytime you enter the forum?
    Last edited by General Appo; 10-27-2008 at 15:58.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

There are only 4 (or was it 5?) body models per unit. For EB's time frame 1/4 (or 1/5 even) of a unit having LS would still be too much.

I keep seeing posts over posts about this but no one ever (and I mean ever) said what lorica segmentata is. Would anyone mind answering?

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

hollywood armour that only historically appeared for roughly a century, sometime around 2AD IIRC

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is Lorica Segmentata:

more or less what sentury was that? i've only seen that armour in movies you're right!!!

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

In my defense, it wasn't in the FAQ. I checked there. The only reason I raised it is because in-game reforms can happen earlier than they actually did, so EB doesn't precisely follow history. Therefore, LS might appear on the battlefield for Imperial legions, because it was invented earlier in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbvani View Post
    In my defense, it wasn't in the FAQ. I checked there.
    Really? Mayhap you are mistaken:

Quote Originally Posted by EBII FAQ
    Q: Will there be Lorica Segmentata in EB2?
    A: Lorica Segmentata was not widely used within the games time frame. Even though it could be argued that it was used to a minimal extent at the very end of the time frame the team has decided not to include any Lorica Segmentata in the official EB2 releases.
    Foot
    Last edited by Foot; 10-28-2008 at 17:29.
    EBII Mod Leader

Trampled.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbvani View Post
    In my defense, it wasn't in the FAQ. I checked there. The only reason I raised it is because in-game reforms can happen earlier than they actually did, so EB doesn't precisely follow history. Therefore, LS might appear on the battlefield for Imperial legions, because it was invented earlier in-game.
    The 'problem' we have with the lorica segmentata isn't only that it's mostly ahistorical in our timeframe -- it's that it can often be the source of endless pleadings and complaints by Hollywood-Rome fanboys. Your inquiry was honest and polite, but it's also the hojillionth time a variation on this question has been asked.

-Glee
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

Can you have Imperial Gallic helmet in EB2?

Don´t know what that is, but if comes from the Imperial period, as it´s name suggest, than that would pretty much be outside EB´s timeframe wouldn´t it?
    The Appomination

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Serious question about a hated subject - Lorica Segmentata

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    more or less what sentury was that? i've only seen that armour in movies you're right!!!
    First and second century AD. The oldest known example of LS was found at Kalkriese and is presumed to be a relic from the battle of Teutoburger forest, which would place it at 9 AD. That's just inside EB's time-frame. However, we have no idea how common it was. A single suit suggests that it was pretty rare. It wouldn't become common until around 50 AD, and even at the height of it's popularity, many if not most legionaries would use chainmail rather than LS.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    Don´t know what that is, but if comes from the Imperial period, as it´s name suggest, than that would pretty much be outside EB´s timeframe wouldn´t it?
    http://www.redrampant.com/roma/helmets.html

yes. but what i ment was the coolus-pattern helmets, they look a bit of the same. I think the Montefortino helmet is so ugly. Especialy with a tassel on it :(

From that link: "Coolus C Late Augustan to Tiberian period."

Sounds like it´s mostly outside EB´s timeframe. You personally thinking a helmet us ugly is really no basis of not including it.
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    From that link: "Coolus C Late Augustan to Tiberian period."

Sounds like it´s mostly outside EB´s timeframe. You personally thinking a helmet us ugly is really no basis of not including it.
    Although I agree that the imperial Gallic helms look WAY better than montefortino, I still think it should be in but not for that reason. In EB both Antesignani and Praetorians wear them! So aeeing that EB2 has variable skins some soldiers can have nomteforino and others can have imperial gallic, etc.
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

LS could technically appear as an armour upgrade in EB II (no unit slots taken up), but that's too much work already, especially for something that was generally outside of the EB II/I time period. No matter how "cool" it is, I would not want it in EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    LS could technically appear as an armour upgrade in EB II....
    Yet again, we aren´t quite sure the LS actually was that much of an upgrade.

And just for the record, I think LH is way cooler than LS.
    The Appomination

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    And just for the record, I think LH is way cooler than LS.
    I disagree.. If LH would've been cooler then Hollywood would have used it instead of LS
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 10-29-2008 at 09:51.

Holliwood uses it because it's cheaper to make, not really cooler...
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I disagree.. If LH would've been cooler then Hollywood would have used it instead of LS
    I think Hollywood use(d) it mainly because it was distinctive, not necessarily because it was cool.

-Glee

I think Hollywood uses it because they use re-enactors who use Lorica Segmentata more than the other types. Why LS is more common in re-enactment groups I don't know, but it probably stems from attempts to recreate it as its construction is largely unknown. Experimentation lead to large numbers being made as it became more and more popular, and Hollywood used it in its films. Hollywood is a leach, not an innovator.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Hrm. In that case, I would posit that Hollywood started using LS according to the Gleemonex model (it's not like there is/was a lack of chain mail in Tinsel Town), but continued due to the Foot-Zarax postulate. We need 10 ccs of film buff, stat!

-Glee

You know... last time i "tryed" to watch a movie with historical subject i saw a "roman legion" wearing leather lorica segmentata and using testudo against infantry in open field battle
    I never made "that" mistake again...
    Dont fight for what you want, fight for what you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    Hollywood is a leach, not an innovator.

Foot

Because they're ignorant of the popularity of an obscure form of armor? I would imagine people here use that armor because it's easy to make look cool and it's widely associated with Romans. Hollywood still does some fantastic stuff.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ludwag View Post
    http://www.redrampant.com/roma/helmets.html

yes. but what i ment was the coolus-pattern helmets, they look a bit of the same. I think the Montefortino helmet is so ugly. Especialy with a tassel on it :(
    the gallic types are mostly late 1st cenutry AD onwards. the early EB period would mostly be Montifortinos. check this place out:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/helmets.html
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 10-29-2008 at 20:04.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Actually, there is a fair amount of evidence through monuments that helmets other than Montifortinos would be used.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    Actually, there is a fair amount of evidence through monuments that helmets other than Montifortinos would be used.
    hence the use of "mostly"
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast