Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do you play as?

Default Re: Who do you play as?

Quote Originally Posted by Gleemonex View Post

If I don't play a campaign for more than three or four days, I don't remember what my agents were going to do or what I was going to train. How do you do it?
    Don't ask ;)

I trie to play everyday but it's not easy when you're having a 9-5 job and have to do the housekeeping...

Quote Originally Posted by Gleemonex View Post
    Then again, my memory is terrible. Also, my memory is terrible. So, who do you play as?
    Well, all "regular" campaigns. I've lost Casse (CTD), the Arverni (defeated by the Aedui) and Pahlava (crushed by the Seleucids) on the way :(

Made some stupid mistakes there :(
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

I think I'm the first to say Saba.

Although this is my first ever EB game.

I thought I'd start somewhere different given the size of the map and this small Kingdom seemed like a good challenge, and a chance to learn more about this faction.

Has anyone else played a really small faction and made them truly into an Empire? I must admit I'm doing OK but wow, some of my neighbours have huge strong armies and cities.

A navy me thinks might be my best plan.

I love playing as Saba... they just seem so disconnected from the whole fray in the beginning. I am also a big fan of unmounted generals, so they are great fun...

Παιδί του ήλιου Member Anastasios Helios's Avatar

Saba are definately fun...because you're free to expand into Kush and Arabia for a while...things aren't so fun when the Ptolemaioi or the Silver Death come down to make a trophy out of you.
    Zήτω η Ελλάς! Ζήτω το "Κοινόν Ελλήνων"!

Currently I'm playing as Carthadasht'im (only a couple of turns into the campaign). Played as Romans, but got bored after it turned into a fight against the Yellow death. Although I was gaining upper hand in Egypt that war seemed endless as Ptolies annihilated the whole of AS and I had no intention of annihilating them and no intention of fighting them indefinitely. I tried Hayasdan, but didn't like it. Played as KH, that was a good campaign, but a CTD had killed it.

On 1.1 with RTW.exe...

A shortlived SS-bi-Q campaign that I overwrote with a shortlived Romani campaign that I overwrote with a Saba campaign in which I reached 250/40 BC before I started a Saka campaign and shifted my attention to it. I got up to 230 BC and was threatening Persepolis...In the middle of that campaign I started a Casse campaign and got respectable territories in mainland Europe by 240 BC without ever attacking a faction other than Eleutheroi.

On 1.1 with Alex.exe...

Advanced Sweboz and KH campaigns, Baktria and Phalava in the 240s, mostly because I refused to attack anyone until 250 BC, and a barely started AS campaign that I put on hold because several Eleutheroi armies besieged my Deep Core cities; they weren't even led by FMs...

Quote Originally Posted by Pontius Pilate View Post
    no that's terrible.
    It is great as it is testament to how good (and popular) the EB team have made them to play as. I'd rather gauge out my eyes than play any other faction than Rome in vanilla, and even playing as Rome themselves in that game wasn't great.

I've got a game going as Rome though.

1.1 with BI.exe...

My first campaign was Qarthadast, which was a fun intro to EB. Had fun crushing the Romans (elephants) took all of italy, west africa(except for Tuat) and most of Ptolemy... not fun when the AS (who were still alive and doing well) besieged Alexandreia.

I sallied forth, only to have them deploy behind me, inside the city... that was not fun.
    Got annoying around the 3rd time.

Switched to Baktria having fun actually being able to recruit phalanxes. However, a technical problem is currently preventing me from starting EB, which I already posted in Tech help.

The Forgotten one Member Onehandstan's Avatar

I am playing as Casse, mainly because I love Celtic factions but partly because I am British and partly because they have a safe starting position once you conquer the Isles, this means that the A.I. aren't going to wipe you out.
    If Vanilla was a toilet, it'd be clean
    If EB was a toilet, It'd be sparkling

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

i just started an Averni campaign, and im at about 260 BC, and its really fun. went 21000 in debt till i started comin back. and my main goal is to build a massallian empire. Celt courage and smithery combined with Greek discipline and old fashioned know how. Recipe for world domination!
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Right now I play as Makedonia and it is 246BCE so far. KH and Epeiros left with their capitals only and become my client states. AS along their ALLIES Ptolemaoi are upon my asia minor recent conquers but cooperation with Pontos and Hayasdan works fine for me and we're slowly gaining equal hands!!!
    Pro Deo et Patria

Quote Originally Posted by Foytaz View Post
    Right now I play as Makedonia and it is 246BCE so far. KH and Epeiros left with their capitals only and become my client states. AS along their ALLIES Ptolemaoi are upon my asia minor recent conquers but cooperation with Pontos and Hayasdan works fine for me and we're slowly gaining equal hands!!!
    Did they actually agree to become a protectorate? I have never managed to get one of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobo View Post
    Did they actually agree to become a protectorate? I have never managed to get one of those...
    yes they did though I use Forced Diplomacy mini-mod. I couldn't stand a situation when next to finished faction with no troops and one settlement left still want to fight, that's why I begun to use this minimod. I'm not the one who wants to finish enemy factions off, instead I'm glad to see them powerless but alive.
    Anyways when Arche Seleukeia and Ptolemaoi allied with themselves to finish you off is really awesome!!!
    Pro Deo et Patria

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Well, you could always move them around. I did so in my ongoing AAR, renaming and recoloring Epeiros into Pergamon. I'm also planning on moving the Koinon towards the Bosporos and give them a suitable name. It just draws too much cash to have them as a protectorate, plus it's kind of cheating because you get the cash bonus given to the faction by the EB script.

Maion
    ~Maion

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

For me its the Sweboz PERIOD, because they got a Wonderful expansion position and excellent units. I just wish the mod didnt CTD so much as i got to the end and victory,, that would make it far easier upon my AAR

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

casse for me also.

a long while back i tried a casse campaign, before i knew about stuff like disbanding my army early, building up an economy (yes, that's a bit embarrassing to admit, but rtw didn't really teach those things, did it?). so now months later, i decided to give it a shot, and i am loving it. a smaller faction makes roleplay more manageable, and the expansion over the british isles has been fairly thrilling: the battle between rushing in to gain territory and holding back to consolidate the economy.

highlight i reckon so far was 2 of my starting 3 FMs getting ambushed in a terrible battle which saw them both slain. poor margorix, my remaining FM suddenly found himself boss and a tad lonely....twas a good few years before i even had a faction successor!
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left View Post
    I think I'm the first to say Saba.

Although this is my first ever EB game.

I thought I'd start somewhere different given the size of the map and this small Kingdom seemed like a good challenge, and a chance to learn more about this faction.

Has anyone else played a really small faction and made them truly into an Empire? I must admit I'm doing OK but wow, some of my neighbours have huge strong armies and cities.

A navy me thinks might be my best plan.
    I did if you count epeiros as a small faction, forged an empire all the way from massilia to persepolis

Arverni, I love to spread the pagan spirit and I love to slaughter those foul romans!!!

I simply love their "savage" way of fighting and the fact they fought for freedom and honor :)

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I recently started Romani campaign, again!

I have never ever played as carthage. I've played as rome, never get anywhere near 250BC, but ive played as them. They are just sooo... boring. I am having alot more fun with a new Averni campaign, slaying the backstabbing Romans for attacking Massalia, sacking their cities every couple of years.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

I play Romani often, probably the most fun to role-play for me as I know much more about their history and way of governing than any other faction (Romani without roleplaying is so easy that it's just boring).

I'm currently playing a Makedonia game that's been fun, and had a great time as Koinon Hellenon as well. I've got an ongoing Sweboz campaign that while different, just hasn't been as exciting due to the battles being only against eleutheroi so far, and no real "roleplaying" motive to go out and conquer a big chunk of the world either- I'm mainly waiting for the Romani to make the mistake of attacking me. I think I've almost met the objectives to that campaign as it is...

I still plan to play as one of the nomad factions soon as well!

Carthage is also tempting, but being a huge and prosperous empire similar to Rome without the same "conquer the world" objective just doesn't seem as fun to me.
    Last edited by mlc82; 11-08-2008 at 07:09.
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

Quote Originally Posted by Skoran View Post
    Arverni, I love to spread the pagan spirit and I love to slaughter those foul romans!!!

I simply love their "savage" way of fighting and the fact they fought for freedom and honor :)
    Isn't every faction 'pagan'?

Quote Originally Posted by mlc82 View Post
    I play Romani often, probably the most fun to role-play for me as I know much more about their history and way of governing than any other faction (Romani without roleplaying is so easy that it's just boring).

I'm currently playing a Makedonia game that's been fun, and had a great time as Koinon Hellenon as well. I've got an ongoing Sweboz campaign that while different, just hasn't been as exciting due to the being battles only against eleutheroi so far, and no real "roleplaying" motive to go out and conquer a big chunk of the world either- I'm mainly waiting for the Romani to make the mistake of attacking me. I think I've almost met the objectives to that campaign as it is...

I still plan to play as one of the nomad factions soon as well!

Carthage is also tempting, but being a huge and prosperous empire similar to Rome without the same "conquer the world" objective just doesn't seem as fun to me.
    I would strongly suggest giving Carthage a try. Their troops are some of the best and most fun I've gotten to command.

currently playing as Carthage. I was always fascinated by them and it was the first faction that I won campaign with back in vanilla. then I won a campaign with them in EB 1.0. I have resonantly started reading "Hannibal" by Serge Lancel (highly recommend btw) and here we go again, made me fire up yet another Carthaginian campaign.

also have Macedonian save (got bored with it after conquering all of Anatolia and most of Egypt), Armenian (got ruined by persistent CTD), Seleucid (tired of chasing those pesky Sakas across the steppes), and Baktrian waiting to be resumed one day. yet to try Romans...

played extensively as Baktria, Epiroes and Ptolemy, but that was back in 0.8x and 1.0.

Try Gauls for once you dirty civilized bugger!
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

actually i did try Arverni for about 20 years... pretty enjoyable too, especially when you start fighting Romans. still got a save sitting there waiting for me.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

I started an Epeiros campaign recently after my Pontos one got ended by a stupid CTD

I wanted to simulate what Pyrrhos could've reached when he hadn't left Makedonia for Greece proper. I conquered the Maks and Athens with him, but then he got killed by the plague
    Seems like history won't allow him to become a great conqueror.

Recently I started a Casse campaign, but it ended in a CTD, and I had conquered whole Britannia + Ireland ;(

A few days ago I started as Romani :)

my name explains everything xD

I like barbarian factions, and civilized factions that can access the regional Celtic and Germanic units.

So pretty much Carthage, both Gauls, Sweboz, Casse, Getai, and Epeiros. No way Rome, because they're sooooo dreadddddddddddddddfully dull.

Right now I'm the Aedui, and just conquered the Romans, taking all the territory all the way to Kalabria, bordering with Phyrrus' gang. That was the first thing I did (besides taking the wonderful Belgaic territories), then I built forts all along the Rhine to stymie the Germanic hordes.

Now I can take the rest of Gaul with out worrying about the constant assaults by the lumbering Roman empire. It's an odd looking empire, right now, king of like the Holy Roman Empire but in France instead of Germany.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast