Poll: With What Religious Denomination Do You Affiliate Yourself?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religious Affliliation of the Backroom

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Religious Affliliation of the Backroom

To what (if any) Religious denomination do you adhere.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Religious Affliliation of the Backroom

You should really make a poll listing ALL of the options....

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Jewish, modern orthodox (which is regular orthodoxy, but we believe that to fully be religious you must interact fully with society)

so i get the best of both worlds....
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I'd say hardcore atheist here.....
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

There is a poll with a few more classifications than usual.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    You should really make a poll listing ALL of the options....

Yea Right!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Ironically, I am marking Atheist. As stated in the other thread, being Atheist and being Jewish are not mutually exclusive. Judiasm has a cultural aspect to it that is independent of the religious aspect. Abandoning the latter does not remove the former.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Ironically, I am marking Atheist. As stated in the other thread, being Atheist and being Jewish are not mutually exclusive. Judiasm has a cultural aspect to it that is independent of the religious aspect. Abandoning the latter does not remove the former.
    exactly. while you may not have faith in Hashem, you are still jewish....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Right. Maybe I should have made the poll about which religion you were born into. I could make another one if this one isn't interesting enough. Maybe one about Cultural religious affiliation - it would be much easier to do than ethnicity.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 10-29-2008 at 20:42.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

I’ll call myself a 4 out of 10 Christian.

Haven’t we been here before?
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Quote Originally Posted by yesdachi View Post
    I’ll call myself a 4 out of 10 Christian.

Haven’t we been here before?
    Probably many times. So what!!!!!!!!!??????

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Officially Roman Catholic - in practice rather an agnostic who respects religeous beliefs but cannot really convince himself to believe.

I generally consider the teachings of the New Testament to be a good moral structure to live by, though.

So .. uhm ... I guess I put my vote to "agnostic"

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Southern Baptist. Thats right those crazies you see on Tv? I break bread with them! MAHAUHAUHAHUAUHAHUAUHAHAUUHA
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Playful atheist. Religion baffles me, I will never understand why people believe in a god of any sort, but some do and that is fine.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Protestantism is quite a broad category...

Church of Scotland myself. So that's a typical Calvinist church, although I am worried that attitudes are changing.

I do quite like the look of the Free Presbyterian Church though, because I share its views on adult baptism.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Right. Maybe I should have made the poll about which religion you were born into. I could make another one if this one isn't interesting enough.
    That would change a lot of people's votes, mine included.

More Atheists than I thought (I always thought we had more Agnostics than Atheists).
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I call myself an atheist, yet I don't think that chance exists. To some degree it does, but when it starts getting "scary", I tend to think there is something softly pushing the chances to a greater thing.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Recently moved from agnosticism to full-blown atheism. It occurred to me that in the total absence of evidence, the proper scientific stance is not to adopt a position of comforting equivocation, it is to assume the null hypothesis.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Roman Catholic out of choice - was born into a fairly non-religious household (what beliefs my parents had they generally kept to themselves).

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

So would Episcopalians fall into the Anglican category or the Protestant category?

Yeah hard to get a good pulse on the diversity out there with a poll. If the poll had asked BORN INTO, my answer would be Missouri Synod Lutheran.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

all this makes me wonder? i wonder how many orgah are jews?
    i think ill pose that question in the frontroom......
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Roman Catholic.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    So would Episcopalians fall into the Anglican category or the Protestant category?
    Oh c'mon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Communion

If you want to split hairs...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Luthren ELCA, with heavy dietist leanings.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mark me as "unsure". Hence, I shall abstain from voting, for the time being.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Atheist. Too many reasons for me to not believe, added to the lack of evidence of a supreme being. That said I think that its great that people can have faith in such things...
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Religious Affliliation of the Backroom

I am a baptized Catholic. (Surprise). That was pretty much the end all of it. I wasn't brought up religiously, and have never believed. I don't not (no typo) believe enough to even consider myself an atheist.

This, of course, is the only proper way of atheism. The other atheists denominations must burn at the stake for their heresy. It, erm...says so not in the Bible, therefore it must necessarily be true for those who do not believe in a Christian God.

...anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    Jewish is a more complex identity, at least bearing more connotations, than Catholic, but to a large extent, the above is how I would describe my 'Catholicism'.
    I think that those familiar with Catholic culture could tell my Catholic heritage even from my posts here. Even when the subject barely touches religion. I should think it simply shows, that it permeates my outlook, my ideas.
    Maybe I should call myself post-Catholic. And demand Tuff adds this option to the poll too, just to make his life miserable.

I shall vote the way most others have understood the poll: as asking about current personal belief, and not heritage. Hence I am an atheist.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Protestantism is a broad category, as already stated.

Lutheran- In the US,I do not identify myself with any particular Church, though I have been raised in Sweden under the Church of Sweden.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Religious Affliliation of the Backroom

This poll is clearly anti atheist!!

Atheism is the obvious choice as a first poll option starting with a and everything but it is listed at the bottom to force the other options to be considered first...

Edit: Atheist.. surprising i now..

Whats with all the polls!! i enjoy voting but feel i should be annoyed....
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 10-30-2008 at 01:55.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast