Poll: What Religion were you Born or Raised in?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Into What Religion Were You Born Or Raised?

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: Into What Religion Were You Born Or Raised?

Was baptized Catholic but when my family moved from Austria to Hawaii they dropped all pretense of religion. I'd describe my family as spiritual though I myself am an atheist.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Default Re: Into What Religion Were You Born Or Raised?

I expected someone to make a funny vote, but not you, Don!

Ah well, been raised as a non-denominational Christian. It's more on the protestant side than the catholic one if that isn't included in non-denominational already.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Non-practicing Roman-Catholic
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Raised protestant. Both my parents were, and still are, religiously active.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Lutheranism.
    Status Emeritus

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Well, to all my Shi'a Islam brothers out there, I meant no disrepsect in co-opting your religion. I just don't understand why Tuff has two polls out there. Can't people wax about their upbringings in the thread that's centered on their current religious beliefs?

Anyway, I picked Shi'a Islam because I'm playing a campaign as the Turks right now and I'm in the role-playing mode. I know modern day Turkey is mostley Sunni, but I figured coming from the Steppes, newly converted Turks would have been Shiite, and it sets up a good reason why as the Turks I'd be blatantly invading my muslim brothers, the Fatmids.

I have a question about Islam (I apologize for it being rather basic and simple if it comes off that way). But trying to deepen my understanding of the differences between Shiite and Sunni Islam, this is what I've been able to come up with:

Both branches belive that Mohammed was the last annointed prophet of Allah, and his words as given by the Quran are to be the ultimate authority. However, in the years that followed, disputes arose over interpretations of the Quran.

Shiites believed that the authority to interpret is vested in a lineage back to Mohammed. The final authority for settling disputes on scripture rests with a man, namely the Imam, and auhtority is conveyed through bloodline.

Sunnis believed that the authority to inerpret is vested in the law, the sum total of interpretations to date. Their legal scholars study all legal decisions made since Mohammed ascended to heaven and strive to maintain continuity by integrating the truth from each of these differential elements of truth, the individual decision, into a universal truth.

Do I understand the differences correctly?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Born and raised Hindu....turned agnostic around age 13 and atheist by 20

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

(Secular) Roman Catholicism.

My kingdom for a .

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

My parents are both former protestants, now atheists but I don't recall them ever pushing their (lack of) beliefs on me. I'd describe myself as an agnostic.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I was baptised into the Church of Scotland, although my parents weren't really religious. One parent from what I gather is quite a staunch atheist, the other of the variety that claims belief in God but doesn't actually attend Church or read the Bible etc.

So I went for the non-religious agnostic option.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Non-Religious Agnostic doesn't suit you?

Atheist doesn't suit you?

Fine, then don't click an answer.
    The question was "Into what religion were you born or raised" (is there actually a difference between the two?), which implies that the options are religions or "I was not raised/born into any religion". Choosing the word "atheist" instead of that can be misleading since there are many who falsely believe atheism really is a religion.

I'm also not so sure that "agnostic" should be an option since that's not on the same scale. Me, I would click "I was not raised into any religion, and am now in formality an agnostic atheist, but in practice a gnostic atheist" - if I didn't object to calling myself "an atheist". I don't identify myself by what I'm not.

So, well, there you have me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Well, to all my Shi'a Islam brothers out there, I meant no disrepsect in co-opting your religion. I just don't understand why Tuff has two polls out there. Can't people wax about their upbringings in the thread that's centered on their current religious beliefs?

Anyway, I picked Shi'a Islam because I'm playing a campaign as the Turks right now
    LOL!!! That's great, you're a character.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Anyway, I picked Shi'a Islam because I'm playing a campaign as the Turks right now and I'm in the role-playing mode. I know modern day Turkey is mostley Sunni, but I figured coming from the Steppes, newly converted Turks would have been Shiite, and it sets up a good reason why as the Turks I'd be blatantly invading my muslim brothers, the Fatmids.

I have a question about Islam (I apologize for it being rather basic and simple if it comes off that way). But trying to deepen my understanding of the differences between Shiite and Sunni Islam, this is what I've been able to come up with:

Both branches belive that Mohammed was the last annointed prophet of Allah, and his words as given by the Quran are to be the ultimate authority. However, in the years that followed, disputes arose over interpretations of the Quran.

Shiites believed that the authority to interpret is vested in a lineage back to Mohammed. The final authority for settling disputes on scripture rests with a man, namely the Imam, and auhtority is conveyed through bloodline.

Sunnis believed that the authority to inerpret is vested in the law, the sum total of interpretations to date. Their legal scholars study all legal decisions made since Mohammed ascended to heaven and strive to maintain continuity by integrating the truth from each of these differential elements of truth, the individual decision, into a universal truth.

More like they dispute the sucession of the early Caliph's. Right guided I believe is the word they use. Shiites believe that anyone after Ali (IIRC) isn't right guided. I'm sure other stuff came after the split.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 10-30-2008 at 19:17. Reason: Edited unfortunate spelling mistake
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

You have strong basics there. Shiites are Islam's Cathos and Sunnies Islam's Protestants... It seems stupid but the more I learn about this, the more I believe in the comparison (hierarchic/no hierarchic clergies, pictures/no pictures, saints/no saints, and some more...)

I insist, it seems I'm not the only one who would like to have a "none" option in this poll.

edit: (...and some more: love of brutal bloody ceremonials like self-whipping/no love of brutal and bloody ceremonials)

Re-edit: what lars573 said, historically. Are also called "shiites" the different kind of Ismaïlis, who originate in disputes over the number of sucessors of Muhammad, some (very few) believe therte was six, some more (mot so much either) believe there was seven. Religions know no limits... Most Shiites believe there was twelve, if I remember well.
    Meanwhile i've been more concerned with Sunnism, privilege of having an egyptian father-in-law. Quite strict believer by the way.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 10-30-2008 at 19:04.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Non-Religious Agnostic

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I was born and raised Lutheran. Became an Atheist when I was 14, and subsequently renounced all religious affiliations about 10 years after that.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

100% prime Catholic beef!

Mother is Catholic and father is Church of Scotland, but really worships at the alter of British cynicism and Monty Python.

In my truly teenage years (I'm 19 now, so don't really count) I had the audacity to believe I could comprehend life and judge God to be a lie, I have since become a fully functional Catholic again.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Since I was baptized I guess that means I belonged to the Danish National Church which is Lutheran. But never believed in it and officially left the church last year.

CBR

Blog Entries

roman catholic i guess.....

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

This poll is very interesting when combined with the "Religious Affiliation" poll. Nearly 2/3 of Backroomers describe themselves as Athiest or Agnostic currently. However, only 1/4 were born into a family with those beliefs. About 40% of all Backroomers were brought up with a religion and have since abandoned it. If someone could find national/international data on this, it would be interesting to see how our results correlate with the global population.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    This poll is very interesting when combined with the "Religious Affiliation" poll. Nearly 2/3 of Backroomers describe themselves as Athiest or Agnostic currently. However, only 1/4 were born into a family with those beliefs. About 40% of all Backroomers were brought up with a religion and have since abandoned it. If someone could find national/international data on this, it would be interesting to see how our results correlate with the global population.
    Though it is very hard to find the trendlines for number of atheists worldwide, this has a graph for the top 10 countries in 1991 and 2004.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Though it is very hard to find the trendlines for number of atheists worldwide, this has a graph for the top 10 countries in 1991 and 2004.
    Even though that site claims 31 - 72% of the Norwegian population as non-believers, it is interesting that in 2007 82,7% of the Norwegian population was registered members in the Norwegian church (aka the Lutheran church).

It would be interesting to see the actual numbers of this survey. Believers tend to be found outside the big cities.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane View Post
    Even though that site claims 31 - 72% of the Norwegian population as non-believers, it is interesting that in 2007 82,7% of the Norwegian population was registered members in the Norwegian church (aka the Lutheran church).
    I think the numbers are similar in Denmark. But since anyone who has been baptized/confirmed is an automatic member that might have something to do with it.

CBR

Quote Originally Posted by CBR View Post
    I think the numbers are similar in Denmark. But since anyone who has been baptized/confirmed is an automatic member that might have something to do with it.

CBR
    I find it funny that someone can claim to be an atheist but at the same time be a member of a religious organization.

I am not a member of the Norwegian church.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane View Post
    I find it funny that someone can claim to be an atheist but at the same time be a member of a religious organization.

I am not a member of the Norwegian church.
    I'm sure people have various reasons for it. I know my dad thinks the 0.7% church tax is ok as the church is part of our cultural history. For me I guess it was partly for the same reason, plus I simply could not be bothered to locate, fill in and send the papers.

The combination of moving house (now living nearby a church) and some more church sillyness in the news was needed before I saw the light

CBR

I was raised Roman Catholic, went to a catholic grade school and high school. I was always, however, an atheist.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Man, TSM, of all the people to create such a poll and then forget to stick Mormon on the list, I didn't think it would be you. Now I'm torn between marking Non-Denominational Christian, Other Monotheism, and Other Polytheism. Why does my religion have to be so complicated?

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Was baptised as a Roman Catholic. My dad is fairly religious and my extended family on that side tend to be religious. I even went to a Catholic high school once I came to Australia, but was full blown atheist from about the time I was in year 5. (I'm now 19 so that was about 10 years ago, I re-examined stuff properly a couple of years ago, and continue to consider religions, but I completely lack faith in a higher power).
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12