Thread: Challenge - Write me an intro and gain ETERNAL FAME!

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Challenge - Write me an intro and gain ETERNAL FAME!

CHALLENGE : Write me an intro and gain ETERNAL FAME!

Ladies and gentlemen of the Mead Hall.

I come to you with an experimental CHALLENGE!

Soon I will have to host a small mafia game in the notorious Gameroom.

As you may know, each of these mafia game needs a nice and catchy introduction.

Alas, I am currently without inspiration and I figured, who else is better qualified to help me out then the bunch of excellent writers which populate the Mead Hall.

So, here we go:

The Challenge: write an intro for my small mafia game, called "The Abused Potatoes". There are plenty of concluded mafia games scattered all over the Gameroom, so you can check those to get an idea.

Setting:
    - a belgian old-style "Frituur" (a shack where you can buy french fries+hamburgers and several kinds of meat - mind you, baking french fries is considered to be an art in Belgium, so we're not talking about fast food here ):

- The boss is well known throughout the country world and he has accepted 14 of the most promising fries bakers in the world as his students.
    - Two of them however are members of the notorious and well known "Fruit and Vegetable"- mafia and have infiltrated the students (they will kill students during the night).

I need a story where the boss meets his students for the first time, gives them an introduction on how to make excellent fries and then tells them to go to sleep. The real students nor the boss are aware of the infiltration.

Rules:
    - regular Org rules apply (no foul language);
    - no more then 1.000 words;
    - use your fantasy;

Hints:

I like fun and lighthearted stories.

Jury:
    The INFALLIBLE Andres.

Reward:
    - the one who writes the best intro gets to co-host the game with me and will be allowed to write all death scenes, lynch scenes and the final ending of the game or in other words: the winner will have extra fun challenges and even more...;
    - ETERNAL FAME.
    - if you would ever come to Belgium:

Just post your entries in this thread!
    Last edited by Andres; 10-31-2008 at 09:55.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Default Re: Challenge - Write me an intro and gain ETERNAL FAME!

You lazy vlaming you.
    Abandon all hope.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You echo my exact thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    You echo my exact thoughts.
    Hah. This challenge is cosponsored by the Mead Hall. A way to allow it's regulars to have a more active role in the .org, and vice-versa. So please try to play nice, won't you?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, my comment is completely hypocritical, I've done the exact same thing.

My excuse however is, my writing sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Hey guys.

So there seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread, and people see fit to bait and ad personal attacks. Let it be known here and now that this is not the place to continue your Backroom debates or slip in quick political jabs. I had hoped that this would be a fun challenge for you Mead Hall regulars, and I still hope it can be that.

The Mead Hall is neutral ground in political matters. Please keep those things out of here.

Blog Entries

what? the reward for doing your work would be doing more of your work? i'll pass thanks....
    Last edited by Thermal; 11-01-2008 at 20:18.

Well I have noting better to do today, so I'll try to write a little something up. We'll see!

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    My schedule got completely screwed while this was going on and I was unable to really write a coherent entry, Andres and I have already corresponded about that.

But come now, is there no one who wants to have ETERNAL FAME and get their work read by pretty much everyone who visits the Gameroom? True, you don't get a nice shiny reward. But tangible rewards aren't always the best kind. Sometimes exposure is a lot better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    My schedule got completely screwed while this was going on and I was unable to really write a coherent entry, Andres and I have already corresponded about that.

But come now, is there no one who wants to have ETERNAL FAME and get their work read by pretty much everyone who visits the Gameroom? True, you don't get a nice shiny reward. But tangible rewards aren't always the best kind. Sometimes exposure is a lot better.
    sometimes doing your own work is better, i dont mean to sound harsh, but if you dont want to do the story for your own mafia, then dont do a mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777 View Post
    sometimes doing your own work is better, i dont mean to sound harsh, but if you dont want to do the story for your own mafia, then dont do a mafia!
    I can certainly understand the point, but this was just a way for Mead Hall regulars to branch out and really get the opportunity to effect more things around here. That's all.

If no one is really interested, then oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries777777 View Post
    I don't mind writing my own story, I have done that plenty of times.

In fact, it took me longer to write the OP of this thread then it usually takes me to write an intro for a small mafia.

The purpose of this thread was to get some interaction between Gameroom and Mead Hall and an opportunity for Gameroom regulars to discover the Mead Hall and vice versa.

Hosting mafia games usually asks a good deal of writing, so maybe I could get some Mead Hall regulars interested in the GR. We also have a bunch of excellent writers among our Gameroom hosts, but some of them don't visit the Mead Hall, so maybe this would draw their attention to this wonderful part of the .Org.

Sorry for any misunderstandings this thread may have caused. All I wanted was some more interaction between two subfora

Last edited by Andres; 11-27-2008 at 15:35.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Blog Entries

yeah well sorry for being hasty

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

Hmm...I guess I can write something since I have a reason to and also since I don't have the time to actually be an active player, this is a nice alternative.
    I've finished fleshing out the plotline for my comedy that I will post in the mead hall soon and I am starting the prologue to it. In the meantime, I think I'll work on your intro to keep the creative juices flowing in my head. It'll keep me on edge and maybe I'll get some more ideas for my story. I'll see if I can't post it tomorrow. It's time to hit the Mind-Joggers.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

Lightbulb Re: Challenge - Write me an intro and gain ETERNAL FAME!

Here's what I have so far. I'll add the ending to it later tonight.

At an undisclosed location in Belgium, there exists an abandoned, dilapidated frituur. One of the few frituurs to survive the Great Purge, it was never reopened when the owner died of mysterious causes. Few people knew the exact reasons why the frituur escaped the ravages of the fires that destroyed countless other frituurs or even why it was still standing. Some said that owner still haunted the old frituur and continues to bake fries for his new customers of the night. Others said that because of its remote location, the Agency couldn’t have been bothered to tear it down and had simply forgotten it. Either that the rumors said or it had been purposely ignored. Whatever the reasons may be, soon the bakers gathered round the frituur would soon uncover the frituur’s secrets that have lay hidden in the inner bowels of its fryer for nearly a century. However, it also begs the question.
    Why would fourteen of the most promising bakers in the world convene upon such a remote frituur that was located quite literally in the middle of nowhere?
    The answer is quite simple of course. They had all received invitations to attend the Formal Revenge of Indo-Europeans That Utilize Usurping Revanchism or the F.R.I.T.U.U.R. and see it in action. All that stood between them and the chance of a lifetime was a bolted door corroded with rust and their own frustrations. And for what seemed like ages, the group of fries bakers continued to wait and wait for that door to swing open to meet the master baker. It wasn’t until evening when one fry baker finally had enough of waiting like a servant does their master.
    “And to think I might have been late!” said a slim fry baker with eyes that looked upon others like a cruel little boy does an insect in the palm of his hand.
    Another fry baker suddenly rose to his feet and answered tartly. “Oh, stop complaining! You’ve been whining every since you’ve got here. Can’t you see that this is a part of the test? Out of all the fry bakers in the world, only fourteen have been given this rare opportunity to learn from a master. Patience is a virtue, man. Use it. So sit down and shut up!”
    Where this conversation might have led was never known for before the fry baker could respond, a resounding thud and a hearty laugh had everyone on their feet.
    “‘Sit down and shut up!’ So delicately put! I love it!” chuckled the new voice.
    All the fries bakers looked, startled, to the open door, filled by a body so bulky that the head on its shoulders looked too small.
    “Now, now, are you just going to stand there like baboons all day or are you here to bake fries?” said the large and jovial man. “It may not look like it but there’s plenty of room in here for all of us. Even if I have to suck in my belly!” the small head reared backward and laughed heartily.
    Before them stood a man who looked in his fifties but it was hard to tell since the climate here kept the skin smooth and supple. He was overweight enough to have acquired a second chin and a portly belly, but one could also see the muscles in his arms that were the result of hard, industrious work. Underneath that layer of fat was a strongman’s physique, more like a walrus than a penguin. On his face bore a rather peculiar scar that started just below his temple and worked its way across his cheek and ended on the bridge of his nose. Could it have been a burn? No, on closer inspection the scar was too uniform, too deliberate. And as they shuffled past his imposing body, the students could also see his disfigured nose and that caused many to wonder just exactly what were they getting into.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Sounds great, Draco Leman

Ja mata, TosaInu